Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

gmq posted:

I just began playing and I was wondering, if I end up liking the game, am I going to regret starting in the free trial (with the limitations it has)?

No, you can go from free trial to full game just fine.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

gmq posted:

I just began playing and I was wondering, if I end up liking the game, am I going to regret starting in the free trial (with the limitations it has)?

Free trial to regular game works great, if possible i really recommend trying to get on the Excalibur server because it is actually the best and all 3 goon guilds Free Companies are seriously good and fun to be in. You could transfer later (costs money though) or just try to sneak in when it's open and import your character data if you want to keep the same look.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Getting my Job Classes leveled is neat. Got WHM to 50 yesterday by grinding Command Missions.

I wish they spaced those out better, though. You have no options for 40 - 50 aside from Stone Vigil. Replace Toto-Rak with something else! :argh:

I guess I'll grind up AST next and then work on tanks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
FF14 is a 100 hour JRPG where you occasionally group up with 3 to 7 other nerds for 30 minute chunks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

99 rolls will come to you but only if you submit to the judgement of Moogle Loot God on Theother Cube

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Getting my Job Classes leveled is neat. Got WHM to 50 yesterday by grinding Command Missions.

I wish they spaced those out better, though. You have no options for 40 - 50 aside from Stone Vigil. Replace Toto-Rak with something else! :argh:

I guess I'll grind up AST next and then work on tanks.

At least Stone Vigil is short, I'm surprised they didn't toss us in piss vale or darkhold

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stone Vigil is nice and bearable, yes, unless the tank doesn't turn the boss around and you get killed by the Frost Breath cleave.

Or forget about the Ice Crystals surprise spawning on top of you after sending your squadron too far ahead for them to come back and save you in time. :shepicide:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

99 rolls will come to you but only if you submit to the judgement of Moogle Loot God on Theother Cube

Stay safe Moggly Ghost!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I looked up the melding guide for Ala Mhigan crafting gear, and found that every single piece has a grade VI materia overmeld.

I regret looking it up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Don't take it as gospel. Most guides like that are literally just max stats with zero regard for efficiency or budget.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bow down, overmelder.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Finally getting around to leveling the caster classes, so what's the summoner rotation for someone at 61?

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Finally reached my first 70 as a WHM! :toot:

So naturally I decide to do outdated Anima stuff. Can I get suggestions on what stats to focus on for my 240 points? I was thinking half piety/half determination, or piety/spell speed/determination. triad.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

It's an outdated anima weapon, load it up with skill speed/fracture recast for how much use it'll give you beyond fashion.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You still have to use it to grind light. Just get full spell speed and det or crit so you can spam your DPS spells.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You don't need to have it equipped for the last step, you just need to be on the right class for it and have it in your inventory.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

You don't need to have it equipped for the last step, you just need to be on the right class for it and have it in your inventory.

For the light step, which comes right before the last step, you absolutely do need it equipped.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but you can light grind by slamming your face through unsynched dungeons

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Step 1: Tam-Tara

Step 2: Get all the dudes together

Step 3: Holy

Step 4: Repeat as necessary.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but you can light grind by slamming your face through unsynched dungeons

I think at my current rate it'll take me like 3-4 hours (assuming we're talking anima light and not original relic light).

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Do unsynched dungeons give the same amount of light as A1S and A9S light farms? I don't remember any of them giving more light than sturdy by default, and they would take much longer than a full light farming group.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's easier than doing Savage runs though. You can solo the dungeons and they're braindead easy to do.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I just did an unsynched tam tara, and didn't get any light. Are you sure you are not confusing the old 2.0 relics, and the 3.0 animas?

EDIT: it also took longer to do than an unsynched savage run with a level 70 group.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 12, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tenik posted:

Do unsynched dungeons give the same amount of light as A1S and A9S light farms? I don't remember any of them giving more light than sturdy by default, and they would take much longer than a full light farming group.

Haukke HM gives the same amount of light but it takes around 8 minutes to do as opposed to the 3 and change for A1S. It's like 58-60 Haukke runs without a bonus window so yeah...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

IIRC A9S is even better because it gives more light but you have to have a vaguely competent group for that.

Also you can do A1S with 3 paladins, 5 DPS, and no healers.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tenik posted:

I just did an unsynched tam tara, and didn't get any light. Are you sure you are not confusing the old 2.0 relics, and the 3.0 animas?

EDIT: it also took longer to do than an unsynched savage run with a level 70 group.

Hard modes give out light. Brayflox HM is pretty easy to do, but savage runs are much quicker overall. Like 5-7 minutes versus 2.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

I was wrong with Tam-Tara. My apologies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I must say, I am finding the idea of cross-classing to a tank role pretty intimidating. Pretty much 90% of the time when a trial has gone bad it’s because a tank didn’t know what he was doing, and I keep thinking ‘oh jesus, that’s going to be me when I level my Marauder/Warrior’.

DPS may have long queue times because there’s so goddamned many of them, but at least they’re easy and (relatively) low-pressure to play. Pile hurt on boss, stay mobile, switch to adds when they appear and pile hurt on them, and if you really gently caress up, the spare DPS folks can take up your slack. Easy. Done.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Darth Walrus posted:

I must say, I am finding the idea of cross-classing to a tank role pretty intimidating.
Been playing since Heavensward debuted and was pure DPS until starting my first tank a month ago and lemme tell ya: outside of content you cannot just stumble into, tanking is borderline braindead. The game does a fantastic job of easing you into it too. Dungeons for the first 30 levels can be tanked by anyone so it's a real low pressure environment for figuring out the basics. From there it's just a matter of holding aggro, remembering to hit defensive cooldowns occasionally, avoiding AoE, and learning the weird tricks behind a few specific bosses. Tossing out a quick "Hey, I'm still learning" at the start will earn you a lot of forgiveness too. No one cares if you screw up as long as you learn from it. Honestly just being awake and hitting enough buttons to keep aggro would put you in the top 20% of all tanks.

I still prefer to DPS overall but tanking is a fun change of pace and it is nowhere near as difficult or stressful as it might appear to be from the perspective of a squishier class. Give it a whirl sometime.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I recently finished an anima weapon and I did a mix of A1S and HM Haukke Manor. I caught A1S on bonus once and did so many runes in that window. I think at bonus it becomes equivalent to A9S? Was very easy.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

I must say, I am finding the idea of cross-classing to a tank role pretty intimidating. Pretty much 90% of the time when a trial has gone bad it’s because a tank didn’t know what he was doing, and I keep thinking ‘oh jesus, that’s going to be me when I level my Marauder/Warrior’.

DPS may have long queue times because there’s so goddamned many of them, but at least they’re easy and (relatively) low-pressure to play. Pile hurt on boss, stay mobile, switch to adds when they appear and pile hurt on them, and if you really gently caress up, the spare DPS folks can take up your slack. Easy. Done.

I prefer to go through dungeons for the first time as a DPS, just to learn how it works and where to go, what the long pulls are, etc. That said, even if you're going through a dungeon for the first time as a tank, you're still just following the same rules you're always following in party dungeons: keep the aggro, do as much damage as you can, and walk in front of the party. Granted, you're setting the pace and the size of pulls, but that comes with the experience you'll get from doing the lower leveled dungeons first anyway.

As long as you do most of your leveling outside POTD the game never throws anything at you that's a radical paradigm shift. Go for it! DRG was my first class and leveling PLD has been great and fun, as well as giving me the opportunity to help other players in the FC get fast queues and do more content.

e: also whenever you gently caress up you can blame the healer

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I still need to figure out how to get the crystal sand fast, any advice?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Xun posted:

The fastest way is to grind levequest treasure chests for amber encased vilekin, iirc the fastest one is called Show Your Work in the Churning Mists. You stand on this rock right in the middle of the area, pop the leve, spin the camera around, if you see a treasure chest open it (for this particular leve all the chest spawns are in line of sight of this one rock), then cancel the leve and restart it. It'll take maybe 15-20 minutes to go through 100 allowances and its in the ballpark of a 10% droprate.

You can also dump poetics and beast tribe currencies on ink/mists and unids

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Xun posted:

Red gatherer scrips exchanged for blue scrip tokens are a very easy and consistent way of getting crystal sands, if you have a gatherer at 60+. Zhloe's deliveries will also give a good boost.
A fast but random and less sustainable way of getting sands is burning all your allowances on starting a leve, checking chest locations, abandoning the leve, and restarting again.

Gruckles fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

homeless snail posted:

The fastest way is to grind levequest treasure chests for amber encased vilekin, iirc the fastest one is called Show Your Work in the Churning Mists. You stand on this rock right in the middle of the area, pop the leve, spin the camera around, if you see a treasure chest open it (for this particular leve all the chest spawns are in line of sight of this one rock), then cancel the leve and restart it. It'll take maybe 15-20 minutes to go through 100 allowances and its in the ballpark of a 10% droprate.

You can also dump poetics and beast tribe currencies on ink/mists and unids

That's still highly contingent on RNG.

*I* personally found gathering to be far more reliable. In my case, it was just going out into the Dravanian Hinterlands and watching Youtube or a movie and then hitting a button on my controller every time it rumbled in the correct fashion while FFXIV was running in the background.

But there are FAR easier ways to get red scrip these days to turn into blue tokens. Some of them even involve gathering or crafting things that are challenging!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

the good thing about the level 60 relic for WHM is that you can stop once you have the 260 because the 270 + 275 version is bad looking.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

the good thing about the level 60 relic for WHM is that you can stop once you have the 260 because the 270 + 275 version is bad looking.

Nobody stops.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's still highly contingent on RNG.

*I* personally found gathering to be far more reliable. In my case, it was just going out into the Dravanian Hinterlands and watching Youtube or a movie and then hitting a button on my controller every time it rumbled in the correct fashion while FFXIV was running in the background.

But there are FAR easier ways to get red scrip these days to turn into blue tokens. Some of them even involve gathering or crafting things that are challenging!

This. Blue scrip exchange is the fastest and most reliable way to get all of the crystal sand you need.

Amber Vilekin can be pretty good but 10-1 leve per vilekin ratio isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

This. Blue scrip exchange is the fastest and most reliable way to get all of the crystal sand you need.

Amber Vilekin can be pretty good but 10-1 leve per vilekin ratio isn't an uncommon occurrence.

gently caress, I just noticed I didn't say what I was getting scrip with.

Illuminati Perch. I was getting Illuminati Perch, and if your FSH is too high a level, it is no bueno because of diminishing returns.