Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

They do make the original trilogy worse if you use the prequel's context to inform the OT.

poo poo like obi wan being sad about anakin makes no sense because they weren't friends in the preq.

You chose a remarkably terrible example. In A New Hope, Obiwan says that Luke's father was a good friend, and the audience might take Obiwan's reactions to mean that he's sad for his friend's death. However, in the greater context the audience might instead take his reaction to be an expression of regret--regret that the friendship had ended, or maybe that the friendship was always more one sided than Obiwan would have liked to believe.

However, it's not (just) the prequels that provide that context, it's The Empire Strikes Back.

If you want to argue that the prequels are bad movies because they provide different context to interpret the OT, surely you must also believe that The Empire Strikes Back is a bad movie because it provides different context to A New Hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Schwarzwald posted:

For my part, I'm upset that video is only fifteen seconds long.
Would this help?

https://www.instagram.com/starwars.remastered/

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

I think it is funny though that Lucas leaves one mystery completely unsolved in his film noir movie : who was Sifo Dyas? Totally ignored by obi wan and Yoda.

The prequels were lazy about a ton of poo poo:

- Who was Sifo Dyas? How did he die? Was he Sith or Jedi?
- The separatists have heroes? Like, good guys? Who?
- What is that glowy ball thing at the end of Phantom Menace that's a thing all of a sudden?
- The cloners created the clone troops from Jango Fett; where the hell did all the tanks/ships/etc. come from? The republic clearly wasn't planning on rolling out a giant fleet, and the cloners only trained and outfitted the clones.
- So who broke into the Jedi archives and deleted the history of an entire system?
- What was the end game of the separatists, exactly? The trade federation, too. Their ultimate objective is to win/force a treaty signing, but that does... what?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are you for real man. That's not "lazy" filmmaking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Red posted:

- What is that glowy ball thing at the end of Phantom Menace that's a thing all of a sudden?
- The cloners created the clone troops from Jango Fett; where the hell did all the tanks/ships/etc. come from? The republic clearly wasn't planning on rolling out a giant fleet, and the cloners only trained and outfitted the clones.
- So who broke into the Jedi archives and deleted the history of an entire system?
- What was the end game of the separatists, exactly? The trade federation, too. Their ultimate objective is to win/force a treaty signing, but that does... what?

Palpatine's behind it all

Serf
May 5, 2011

Red posted:

- He was a Jedi Master. From the way they talk about him I reckon he was killed?
- General Grievous, Count Dooku etc. Heroes in their eyes.
- A Gungan symbol of peace and cooperation to the humans of Naboo.
- Leftovers from the Republic's previous army, since technology in Star Wars doesn't seem to advance in some areas. Or they bought them from military contractors.
- Dooku, I imagine.
- To achieve independence. But due to manipulations of both sides by Palpatine, rather than a peaceful secession they opted for a more violent path and the Republic responded in kind. Remember both sides are being played by the same guy who is angling to get himself more power by building up the Separatists as an existential threat when they really aren't (something that never happened in real life amirite).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Someone dealt with the glowy ball like 500 pages ago too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjFCVTpsIps

Electromax
May 6, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It was fun. The alien ran around and ate people including Roland from Jurassic Park. That was all 6 year old me cared about. :shrug:

Yeah. When I was 6 even the first JP wasn't out yet. I mostly found Alien 3 dull for a long time after seeing Aliens 20 times. I still don't really love it. But when I was 6 I was more interested in watching Mulan and the first Ninja Turtles. I still remember thinking the claymation truck driver face in Pee Wee's Big Adventure was scary at that age. Also the face melting at the end of Raiders and the heart-pulling in Doom.

For some reason I associate Alien, Star Wars and Tremors because they were always on TBS Dinner and a Movie every weekend when I was ~10.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

You chose a remarkably terrible example. In A New Hope, Obiwan says that Luke's father was a good friend, and the audience might take Obiwan's reactions to mean that he's sad for his friend's death. However, in the greater context the audience might instead take his reaction to be an expression of regret--regret that the friendship had ended, or maybe that the friendship was always more one sided than Obiwan would have liked to believe.

However, it's not (just) the prequels that provide that context, it's The Empire Strikes Back.

If you want to argue that the prequels are bad movies because they provide different context to interpret the OT, surely you must also believe that The Empire Strikes Back is a bad movie because it provides different context to A New Hope?

The context is bad because they DIRECTLY CONTRADICT the OT.

Im saying 2+2=4

Youre saying 2=4+2.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

No, they contradict your headcanon about the OT, but not it itself.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Im saying 2+2=4

Youre saying 2=4+2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Someone dealt with the glowy ball like 500 pages ago too.

Any source of info that is not the movies is wrong and irrelevant.

Books, comics, games GTFO

Red
Apr 15, 2003

euphronius posted:

Are you for real man. That's not "lazy" filmmaking.

Dropping vague pieces of the storyline, forcing the viewer to guess and connect dots, is lazy as poo poo.

I'd probably be more accepting of the prequels if the crawl read:

EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE (FIRST DRAFT)

TURMOIL HAS ENGULFED THE GALACTIC(Is this redundant? - George)
REPUBLIC. THE TAXATION OF TRADE
ROUTES TO OUTER RIM OUTLYING STAR SYSTEMS IS IN
DISPUTE.

HOPING TO RESOLVE THE MATTER WITH A
BLOCKADE OF [DEADLY? THREATENING? - George] BATTLESHIPS, THE
GREEDY TRADE FEDERATION HAS
BLOCKED STOPPED ALL TRADE SHIPPING TO THE SMALL
SYSTEM PLANET OF ALDERAAN NABOO.

WHILE THE SENATE CONGRESS OF THE REPUBLIC
ENDLESSLY DEBATES THIS ALARMING
CHAINS OF EVENTS, THE SUPREME
GOVERNOR CHANCELLOR HAS SECRETLY DISPATCHED
TWO JEDI KNIGHTS, THE GUARDIANS OF
PEACE AND JUSTICE IN THE GALAXY, TO
RESOLVE SETTLE THE CONFLICT...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phi230 posted:

Im saying 2+2=4

Youre saying 2=4+2.

You do remember that obiwan says Anakin was killed by Darth Vader, an apprentice of his? Hell the entire climactic battle of Return of the Jedi is Luke winning because the reality he understands contradicts what the Jedi say is true.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

No, they contradict your headcanon about the OT, but not it itself.

Except they do contradict the OT..

OT says x

Preq says y

X =!= Y

Serf
May 5, 2011

Obi-Wan deceives Luke about Vader's identity and has even deceived himself about his relationship to Anakin.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Any source of info that is not the movies is wrong and irrelevant.

Books, comics, games GTFO

No it was a reference to another classic movie the name of which I have forgot.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If anything ROTJ contradicts the rest of the OT more than the PT ever does.

"Oh yes, there's another Skywalker....and she's your sister! And the only woman with more than 5 minutes screen time in this series."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

You do remember that obiwan says Anakin was killed by Darth Vader, an apprentice of his? Hell the entire climactic battle of Return of the Jedi is Luke winning because the reality he understands contradicts what the Jedi say is true.

Except the prequels are showing us something different from what we understand in the OT.

Like obi and anakin being friends. Nothing we are shown in the preq warrants obi's statments in ANH

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Except the prequels are showing us something different from what we understand in the OT.

Like obi and anakin being friends. Nothing we are shown in the preq warrants obi's statments in ANH

Except the parts where they are friends.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

If anything ROTJ contradicts the rest of the OT more than the PT ever does.

"Oh yes, there's another Skywalker....and she's your sister! And the only woman with more than 5 minutes screen time in this series."

We are never shown or told that Leia is not his sister

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Except the parts where they are friends.

They loving hate eachother and obiwan views anakin with like smug contempt are you kidding

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

They loving hate eachother and obiwan views anakin with like smug contempt are you kidding

Hmm I'm beginning to doubt your ability to recognize human activities accurately.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

We are never shown or told that Leia is not his sister

I guess Han's his brother too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red posted:

I think Episode III is trying to say that good and evil is a matter of perspective. This is a reoccuring theme throughout Star Wars, especially in the original trilogy where Obi-Wan see's Anakin and Darth Vader as two very different people, to the point where as far as he was concerned, he was not lying to Luke about Darth Vader killing Anakin. The force is so powerful that to go to the dark side means becoming a whole other person altogether.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Hmm I'm beginning to doubt your ability to recognize human activities accurately.

Anakin resents obiwan for being a poo poo teacher. He says in clone wars

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Phi230 posted:

I'm not following here. If you take the OT alone then Obiwan is a purposefully deceptive liar training Luke to be an assassin to solve a doctrinal dispute within a defunct religious order so if as you claim the PT shows no evidence of friendship you can chalk that up to more manipulative lying on Obiwans part.

If anything the PT lets Obiwan stay a good person as misguided friend who to the end can't understand what drove away Anakin and whose attempts to avoid past mistakes causes him to lie.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

Just because they didn't compliment each other 24/7 doesn't mean they hate other. However, I will admit the Clone Wars show did a much better job showing their friendship.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Anakin resents obiwan for being a poo poo teacher. He says in clone wars

My god you did watch the movies.

This makes you posts even more troubling.

Edit

You said clone wars. Welp.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

I guess Han's his brother too.

Lol really. Go back to 5th grade with this low effort poo poo

Red
Apr 15, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I think Episode III is trying to say that good and evil is a matter of perspective. This is a reoccuring theme throughout Star Wars, especially in the original trilogy where Obi-Wan see's Anakin and Darth Vader as two very different people, to the point where as far as he was concerned, he was not lying to Luke about Darth Vader killing Anakin. The force is so powerful that to go to the dark side means becoming a whole other person altogether.

I'd agree with that, except that no one on the separatist side is shown to be anything other than clearly villainous.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

Just because they didn't compliment each other 24/7 doesn't mean they hate other. However, I will admit the Clone Wars show did a much better job showing their friendship.

The shows are irrelevant ffs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Anakin also says he resents obi wan in Attack of the clones.

You should watch it sometime. It's great.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Red posted:

I'd agree with that, except that no one on the separatist side is shown to be anything other than clearly villainous.

?? The neimodians are portrayed as neutral actors. Neither good nor villainous.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phi230 posted:

The prequels are very contradictory about this. Obi-Wan talks about how him and Anakin are brothers, but we really don't see this. We are expected to take Obi-Wans word at face value but there's plenty of reason to believe that maybe Obi-Wan was being delusional about their relationship.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

euphronius posted:

It's great.

Don't lie

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Red posted:

George Lucas message of good and evil being one and the same is a jumbled mess for sure.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

?? The neimodians are portrayed as neutral actors. Neither good nor villainous.

Are you kidding. They slavishly follow an evil cloaked mastermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Lol really. Go back to 5th grade with this low effort poo poo

Obi-Wan is his really older brother.

• Locked thread