Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cnut the Great posted:

Keeping Sidious's identity a "secret" was always just a playful conceit. It was done for the benefit of casual viewers and children. Obviously if you were a devotee of the series (or even just paid enough attention to the movies) it wouldn't be a surprise, and it was never really supposed to be.

I mean, the movies are already firmly in Superman/Clark Kent territory with Palpatine's cunning disguise being nothing but a robe which covers the top part of his face combined with a croaky voice.

His disguise is mostly to fool the Trade Federation, who at alternate times don't care who he is so long as he can help them versus desperately not wanted to admit who he is because that means admitting their screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

For Christ's sake, the originals were constantly changing, even as they were shot. Major plot points came, went, or were altered on the fly. To insist that Lucas didn't have everything planned out and therefore the prequels are bogus is to dismiss the originals, since he didn't have those planned out in intricate detail either.

He was saying this about the eventual prequels way back in 1983:

George Lucas posted:

Fairy tales are about how people learn about good and evil, about how to conduct themselves in society. Darth Vader is the bad father; Ben Kenobi is the good father. The good and bad mothers are still to come.

There will be another trilogy, of course, which takes place before the current one. It deals with the young Darth Vader and the young Ben Kenobi, the good and bad mothers will play their part, as will the robots - R2D2 and C3PO - the only "actors" who will bridge the trilogies. At the end of the first trilogy, Luke Skywalker will be four years old."

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/story/the_bad_mother_74846.asp

Well, what do you know? R2-D2 and C-3PO are going to be in them, they're going to be about Darth Vader and Ben Kenobi as young men, and, perhaps most significantly, the story will revolve around mothers in the same way the original trilogy revolved around fathers.

Of course, this quote also shows that he changed his mind about how to depict the circumstances regarding the twins' introduction into the series and their mother's final fate. But no one disputes those things. He had some of it planned out, some of it he didn't have planned out, and some of it he changed his mind about. And the vast majority of the finer details were naturally pretty nebulous. How shocking! Thank god we have works like The Secret History of Star Wars to unravel the conspiracy for us.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with me that it's equally weird that other characters can't identify Batman from his chin and mouth, or actually saying that Christian Bale is also unrecognizable to film viewers when wearing his Batman helmet.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are people upset that force ghosts are not realistically portrayed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movie isn't trying to fool you into who is Sidious. It's telling a story.

His identity is unknown to the actors in the movie. ( some of them). Hiding his face tells you this simply using basic visual language.

It's not a problem to be solved by the audience.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think it is funny though that Lucas leaves one mystery completely unsolved in his film noir movie : who was Sifo Dyas? Totally ignored by obi wan and Yoda.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Cnut the Great posted:

And the vast majority of the finer details were naturally pretty nebulous.

I think it's kinda neat how Lucas filled some of these in with borrowed elements from his earlier drafts for the first movie for the prequels. Prototype Alderaan is also pretty much a prototype Naboo, and there's even a land invasion. Toward the end, Wookies join with the rebels and fight the Empire with inferior weapons, which Lucas used like three times after that.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I guess this hinges on whether you know that Emperor's name is Palpatine. This is one of those cultural osmosis/toy-centric things that Lucas was great, with Palpatine and Ewoks never being named in ROTJ, Boba Fett only yelled by Han over the clamor of the Jabba rescue, etc. They never said it outright and they were technically leaving it to be a mystery but I guess I was 9 when I saw TPM and everyone I knew knew it.

The clip from the film posted above is a pretty good gag, but even better is when Palpatine says "we will be watching your career with *great* interest" to Anakin on Theed. I think it's one of the elbow-jabbing fan service bits that works really well.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

For Christ's sake, the originals were constantly changing, even as they were shot. Major plot points came, went, or were altered on the fly. To insist that Lucas didn't have everything planned out and therefore the prequels are bogus is to dismiss the originals, since he didn't have those planned out in intricate detail either.

You are giving george lucas too much credit. He is not responsible for star wars.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

You are giving george lucas too much credit. He is not responsible for star wars.

Unless you're taking the position that no one person can take majority credit an any collaborative undertaking, then yes, he is.

Even if you are taking that position, George Lucas is still likely responsible for making the films the success that they were.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Let me ask:

If melville wrote a prequel to moby dick, would you then go back to moby dick and retroactively change your views of it?

No, because chronological order of creation of art is important. The originals always take precedence, and are independent of what comes after.

What is derived from an original work is where the change is seen.

The prequels do not have the authority to make retroactive changes. Their authority is minimally persuasive.

The prequels are objectively awful movies. Star wars is not the word of god. It is pulp for popular enjoyment. Forget about them. They do not matter because they are bad. Look to the future, since we are getting good movies that are also good star wars movies. Prequels bad movies, prequels bad star wars.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

Unless you're taking the position that no one person can take majority credit an any collaborative undertaking, then yes, he is.

Even if you are taking that position, George Lucas is still likely responsible for making the films the success that they were.

No he is not. He is an ideas man.

He is a poo poo writer, and a poo poo editor. Also a poo poo director, and also bad at cinematography and camera work.

Lawrence Kasdan is more responsible. Lucas' wife is more responsible. Everyone else made the movies, he came uo with a rough idea and everyone else took it and made it good

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, but the prequels are good films?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Phi230 posted:

Let me ask:

If melville wrote a prequel to moby dick, would you then go back to moby dick and retroactively change your views of it?

No, because chronological order of creation of art is important. The originals always take precedence, and are independent of what comes after.

What is derived from an original work is where the change is seen.

The prequels do not have the authority to make retroactive changes. Their authority is minimally persuasive.

The prequels are objectively awful movies. Star wars is not the word of god. It is pulp for popular enjoyment. Forget about them. They do not matter because they are bad. Look to the future, since we are getting good movies that are also good star wars movies. Prequels bad movies, prequels bad star wars.

this is an objectively awful post

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Ok, but the prequels are good films?

Except theyre not. Theyre almost universally hated for a reason

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TWIST FIST posted:

this is an objectively awful post

I like it when awful cgi yoda flips through the air like a mexican jumping bean

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The prequels are boring garbage and you have poo poo taste, also you should legit feel awful for supporting that poo poo.

LUCAS IS A SELLOUT

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Except theyre not. Theyre almost universally hated for a reason

Are you Tezzor's roommate?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Saying there's "almost universal hatred" of the Prequels is like saying all the bitching about Rey and Jyn Erso are evidence we are living in the setting of The Screwfly Solution.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

Saying there's "almost universal hatred" of the Prequels is like saying all the bitching about Rey and Jyn Erso are evidence we are living in the setting of The Screwfly Solution.

Except audiences and critics recieved TFA very well. Rogue One is very hyped.

Audiences and critics literally immediately knew the prequels were bad. Theres been fuckin documentaries about it.

An entire fat alcoholics career is based off pointing out how poo poo the prequels are.

You know a form of media is bad when its criticisms are actually longer than the media itself

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Phi230 posted:

The prequels are boring garbage and you have poo poo taste, also you should legit feel awful for supporting that poo poo.

LUCAS IS A SELLOUT

Dude...ur avatar is soooo bad

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Let me ask:

Quite possibly, especially if the prequel put the events of Moby Dick in a different context.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Except audiences and critics recieved TFA very well. Rogue One is very hyped.

Audiences and critics literally immediately knew the prequels were bad. Theres been fuckin documentaries about it.

An entire fat alcoholics career is based off pointing out how poo poo the prequels are.

You know a form of media is bad when its criticisms are actually longer than the media itself

Can you post the pictures from the steampunk wedding?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I like that every few months some one completely loses their poo poo for a few hours over the fact that not everyone hates these movies

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kly posted:

I like that every few months some one completely loses their poo poo for a few hours over the fact that not everyone hates these movies

The more they tighten their group the more SA posters will slip through their fingers

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kly posted:

And sometimes it's not Tezzor.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Apollodorus posted:

I saw it as a kid too and could tell immediately (both visually and aurally) that it was the same actor. But OTOH face-blindness prosopagnosia is a real thing and probably afflicts more people than I realize.

Apollodorus posted:

... I clearly remember seeing it at age 8 and recognizing it as the same actor (i.e. Sebastian Shaw, though I was too jazzed about having finished the trilogy to pay attention to the credits and assumed it was David Prowse).

So a slightly less jazzed 8 year old you would have been into watching credits? I think the problem here is comparing yourself and kid you to other kids not on the spectrum

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Let me ask:

Quite possibly, yes.

I don't really understand your implication that the prequels somehow make the original trilogy worse films, or that they lowered my opinion of the original films.

I assure you, I quite like the original trilogy.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 28, 2016

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Phi230 posted:

Even adjusted for inflation, all three prequels are in the top 100 grossing movies of all time. That doesn't happen if millions of people see the movie once and then tell everyone they sucked. Popularity is of course not proof of quality, but you are the one that brought up audiences.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Considering the original movies in light of the prequels can cause you to think about the originals in a new and pleasing way, even if you don't like the prequels (however, I think that you should try liking them).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYud9sZ91Mc

Anyway, I'm glad John Williams is going to try to score the entire sequel trilogy before he dies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Bongo Bill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYud9sZ91Mc

Anyway, I'm glad John Williams is going to try to score the entire sequel trilogy before he dies.

For my part, I'm upset that video is only fifteen seconds long.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Electromax posted:

The idea of a 6 year old enjoying or even having an interest in Alien 3 is very strange to me.

It was fun. The alien ran around and ate people including Roland from Jurassic Park. That was all 6 year old me cared about. :shrug:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

euphronius posted:

I think it is funny though that Lucas leaves one mystery completely unsolved in his film noir movie : who was Sifo Dyas? Totally ignored by obi wan and Yoda.
It's Sheev. It was always Sheev.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Well, looks like it'S time for my random anti-Tezzor postings again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Vkyzrs1Fk

The Incal series of comic book were born from the ashes of the legendary never filmed Jodorowsky's Dune, with story by Alejandro Jodorowsky and art by Moebius. If you like epic space fantasy with mystical elements (an easy guess in the Star Wars thread) read it right the gently caress now.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

Never heard of him. I was recruited by a man named Tyranus.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

Can you post the pictures from the steampunk wedding?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Schwarzwald posted:

Quite possibly, yes.

I don't really understand your implication that the prequels somehow make the original trilogy worse films, or that they lowered my opinion of the original films.

I assure you, I quite like the original trilogy.

They do make the original trilogy worse if you use the prequel's context to inform the OT.

poo poo like obi wan being sad about anakin makes no sense because they weren't friends in the preq.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Phi230 posted:

They do make the original trilogy worse if you use the prequel's context to inform the OT.

poo poo like obi wan being sad about anakin makes no sense because they weren't friends in the preq.

What the gently caress movies did you watch. I don't think you watched Star Wars be used that's not what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

"You were my brother, Anakin! I loved you!"

It's clear that Obi-Wan thought they were friends. Though I'd argue that the indoctrination and emotional stunting of the Jedi made him incapable of realizing they really weren't.

• Locked thread