Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

is it not somehow possible his ruling was just a narrow technical ruling reinforcing stare decisis?

I'd say it's definitely possible that Roberts, who is both a coward and deeply concerned with going down in history as *~a good chief justice~*, doesn't want part of his legacy to be telling lower courts that they can just ignore Supreme Court rulings that they don't like and hope the Supreme Court backs them up on it, even if the Supreme Court ruling was only like two years earlier. That would explain why he wrote such a narrow ruling that basically says "I still think Whole Woman's Health was wrongly decided, but it's vital for the functioning of the judicial system that lower courts respect Supreme Court decisions, even the bad ones".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
this just in: the best way to make the GOP go away is to give them everything they want

holy gently caress there's a lot of smartbrains itt today

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
this just in, just read whatever you want into whatever you want. does the text support it? is it a good-faith reading? doesn’t matter just post.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
love when krugman lets his nyt :decorum: mask slip :getin:
https://mobile.twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1277969555910868997

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
So much outrage in the comments from people who were perfectly willing to let pawpaw and meemaw croak for the economy just a few weeks ago.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That was other people's grandparents, not their rich white grandparents in Florida.

Donkey
Apr 22, 2003

SubnormalityStairs posted:

this just in: the best way to make the GOP go away is to give them everything they want

holy gently caress there's a lot of smartbrains itt today

I think you're right about this, but I do think it's possible to get them even more frenzied by giving them an occasional setback like this. Right now they've all shifted their rhetoric to the point where they're saying they need to completely pack the court with chuds, where before they would at least sometimes pretend to respect the American founders' intent. In contrast a bunch of Democrats are so desperate to be able to ignore politics again that they'll seize on something like this as if it proves they can let their guards down.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Those comments are great.

"don't point out reality, that's lusting for blood!!! #NeverMask #maga #C19LibralVirus" and so on.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Magic Underwear posted:

in your world winning is losing because the opposition will hypothetically be energized by the loss. and I guess losing is also losing for our side. congratulations on building a complete mental block against the possibility of anything good happening.

How the gently caress can you live in 2020, presumably in America, and believe that anything good can ever happen?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BardoTheConsumer posted:

How the gently caress can you live in 2020, presumably in America, and believe that anything good can ever happen?

Wife hasn't left me yet, so there's that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I can still afford to keep a roof over my head and my cat isn't dead, that's two good things

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I'll never get tired of goons making these macho crybaby posts.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
chuds want to destroy the morale of their enemies, liberals want to destroy the morale of their "allies"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Grape posted:

I'll never get tired of goons making these macho crybaby posts.

Sadbrains :matters: people are exhausting.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Go read the happy thread if you need a break from the trenches. Seriously, taking a break is good for your brain and all the awful will still be there for you next week.

E: raccoon thread is also a good choice.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Suspicious posted:

chuds want to destroy the morale of their enemies, liberals want to destroy the morale of their "allies"

better to think of them as chuds and polite chuds

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://twitter.com/MikeDelMoro/status/1278031750996918276?s=20

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I bet you at least 20% of that drop was people thinking well at least abortion will be illegal soon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
and the rest think the military should be shooting George Floyd protesters

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sadbrains :matters: people are exhausting.

I want a line of Big Dawg shirts for these folks.

"Out of THE WAY shrimp dick! This guy is ON THE MOVE, and looking for a BATHROOM TO CRY IN."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
lol yeah those polled want Donald to lean harder right and start shooting some protesters, preferably personally..

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grape posted:

"Out of THE WAY shrimp dick! This guy is ON THE MOVE, and looking for a BATHROOM TO CRY IN."

I'm still mad they're not selling this one anymore, I'd buy the poo poo out of it

https://twitter.com/higgzorz/status/1276018638827532288

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want that so bad.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Nice own on the demonrats giving them the day when just some lucky people have the day after free, as opposed to Saturday when nearly everyone has the next day free.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Grevling posted:

Nice own on the demonrats giving them the day when just some lucky people have the day after free, as opposed to Saturday when nearly everyone has the next day free.

I think you may be surprised at how much of this country works or is expected to work on Sundays

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Grape posted:

this is basically da share z0ne's entire niche. what's this? it's sick skull with lightning and it has depression

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

BiggerBoat posted:

loving for real, man.

Do these whiny poo poo heads EVER stop complaining about "activist judges"...or complaining at ALL?

Can anyone imagine for a second if the Electoral College had awarded the White House to a democrat over the popular vote? Not just 3x in my lifetime but even once EVER?

Whaaaa.....with these loving people telling people like me to suck it up, work harder and save more money. Jesus Christ.

They only stop whining when there isn't a script for them to follow.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Asking people to explain to me why there was zero shutdown pushback here (Indiana) despite us instituting at least as comprehensive measures as Michigan did and earlier too is always a good hoot

(it's not that our Republicans are good, it's that their hand was forced when Lily and the entire IU network said "gently caress y'all this poo poo is getting shut down")

edit - also, why protests in Ohio were aimed at the DOH and not gov

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

so to be clear you are definitely opposed to roe vs wade? because you figure that once regressives get a taste of victory in the culture war that they'll be satisfied and stop participating in politics? are you out of your loving mind?

in your world winning is losing because the opposition will hypothetically be energized by the loss. and I guess losing is also losing for our side. congratulations on building a complete mental block against the possibility of anything good happening. this is a good decision, it's not enough and the fight continues but we can be happy for a little while. if you find yourself opposing abortion rights because of some hosed up 11th dimensional chess then you're no good to anyone.

Goon 1: Explains why A happened.
Goon 2: "So you wanted A to not happen? I hate you!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

So much outrage in the comments from people who were perfectly willing to let pawpaw and meemaw croak for the economy just a few weeks ago.

Halloween Jack posted:

That was other people's grandparents, not their rich white grandparents in Florida.

Their own grandparents bought the farm decades ago.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

Asking people to explain to me why there was zero shutdown pushback here (Indiana) despite us instituting at least as comprehensive measures as Michigan did and earlier too is always a good hoot

(it's not that our Republicans are good, it's that their hand was forced when Lily and the entire IU network said "gently caress y'all this poo poo is getting shut down")

edit - also, why protests in Ohio were aimed at the DOH and not gov

I lived next to Lily up until two months ago and my wife worked at IU. It was amazing how quickly they both shut poo poo down, and I was not expecting Indiana of all places to take COVID relatively seriously.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Goon 1: Explains why A happened.
Goon 2: "So you wanted A to not happen? I hate you!"

I've experienced a frustrating reversal of this wrt/coronavirus. I've been telling people that lockdowns and social distancing and masks are necessary because just loving LOOK AT ALL THIS SUFFERING as a result of not doing those things, and all I get in response is "l see you're cheering for death you ghoul" and oh god I'm so tired.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

If you all think the GOP base voter is going to be appeased with anything but a white, theocratic ethnostate, you are taking retard pills

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

crude but correct

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

SubnormalityStairs posted:

I've experienced a frustrating reversal of this wrt/coronavirus. I've been telling people that lockdowns and social distancing and masks are necessary because just loving LOOK AT ALL THIS SUFFERING as a result of not doing those things, and all I get in response is "l see you're cheering for death you ghoul" and oh god I'm so tired.

Must be making the rwm rounds because I've gotten a lot of that recently.

-Wow, America really hosed up and lots of people are going to die as a direct result of the inability of their government or populace to adopt best hygiene and social practices.

-IT'S DISGUSTING THAT YOU LUST FOR DEATH AND SUFFERING HOW DARE YOU POINT OUT REALITY! ALSO IT'S PROBABLY JUST A HOAX!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i mean, this is the thread for laughing at chuds dying

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anecdotes about wretched chuds dying of covid after publicly denying it are fun, but each of those fucksticks also infected many poor people who had no choice in interacting with the assholes. that's rather less fun.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

anecdotes about wretched chuds dying of covid after publicly denying it are fun, but each of those fucksticks also infected many poor people who had no choice in interacting with the assholes. that's rather less fun.

they’re going to have killed those people anyway, at least this way i can get off a couple of times before i drown in my own effluvia

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Got to thinking today about how MAGAs pretend to DESPISE "big government"

But...um...they don't.

Aren't a huge aggressive military, supporting the death penalty, building more prisons and a strong militarized police presence the epitome of this concept writ large? Or having ones day in court and being able to defend themselves being tied to income level? Mandatory drug tests being tied to welfare and EBT? Wanting to jail reporters and political enemies plus suppressing the free press...?

Also, executive orders are seemingly just super A-Ok now. 48 per year for Trump vs. 34.6 for Barrack Obama - and most of Obama's were milquetoast wishy washy sort of poo poo as well as being ordered during his second term once he (loving finally) figured out that Republicans refused to even vote for their own legislation if it was him proposing it.

Almost like they're hypocrites or some such thing.

The GOP LOVES "big government"

Abortion rights being hammered away, voting restrictions, executive privilege, ICE detention camps, cops acting as jury, judge and executioner...marines and preemptive military strikes, torture, waving due process, racial profiling, executions by the state, theocratic law...

That IS "Big government", isn't it? All the stuff the founding fathers supposedly fled from that they pretend to worship. Just none of the poo poo that, you know, helps people.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

Got to thinking today about how MAGAs pretend to DESPISE "big government"

But...um...they don't.

Aren't a huge aggressive military, supporting the death penalty, building more prisons and a strong militarized police presence the epitome of this concept writ large? Or having ones day in court and being able to defend themselves being tied to income level? Mandatory drug tests being tied to welfare and EBT? Wanting to jail reporters and political enemies plus suppressing the free press...?

Also, executive orders are seemingly just super A-Ok now. 48 per year for Trump vs. 34.6 for Barrack Obama - and most of Obama's were milquetoast wishy washy sort of poo poo as well as being ordered during his second term once he (loving finally) figured out that Republicans refused to even vote for their own legislation if it was him proposing it.

Almost like they're hypocrites or some such thing.

The GOP LOVES "big government"

Abortion rights being hammered away, voting restrictions, executive privilege, ICE detention camps, cops acting as jury, judge and executioner...marines and preemptive military strikes, torture, waving due process, racial profiling, executions by the state, theocratic law...

That IS "Big government", isn't it? All the stuff the founding fathers supposedly fled from that they pretend to worship. Just none of the poo poo that, you know, helps people.

I don't even think they lie anymore, it's been awhile since I've heard a chud say they were opposed to big government. They've largely come to peace with the fact that what they want is a tiny and weak government in regards to the stuff that intersects with their own lives, and a mighty and omnimalevolent government in regards to everything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Epic High Five posted:

Lmao at the notion that anything is decided democratically, how much bleach and gasoline does one have to drink to believe that

lol

I mean even just outside the baseline bullshit of capitalism, prohibition passed with like a 10% approval rate through the theoretical democratic means. Turns out the system is pretty easy to gently caress with if you know where to pull levers!