Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Switch purchase JUSTIFIED.

I do hope they make some kinda app to transfer my save data, though, because the grind in MHX is somehow even more brutal because of how Deviant Monsters work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't comprehend someone else liking a thing I don't like either

Does the thing you don't like have 2001 era game design and graphics, loading zones every 50 feet, and tedious grinding and s bunch of obtuse systems?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like a lot of JRPG's so probably

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out 2001 era game design is loving great

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does the thing you don't like have 2001 era game design and graphics, loading zones every 50 feet, and tedious grinding and s bunch of obtuse systems?

Obtuse isn't exactly a word I'd use to describe monster hunter. You need parts? kill the thing that drops those parts.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I dont like a lot about mh on 3ds. Im willing to try it out on a system that doesnt feel like rear end to hold

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm just saying, the only reason anyone in America cares about Monster Hunter is so they can brag about an exclusive for console wars reasons. The only reason anyone cares about Monster Hunter in Japan is that their brains are fundamentally broken and they enjoy repetitive tedious grinding.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm just saying, the only reason anyone in America cares about Monster Hunter is so they can brag about an exclusive for console wars reasons. The only reason anyone cares about Monster Hunter in Japan is that their brains are fundamentally broken and they enjoy repetitive tedious grinding.

There are better games for exclusive bragging and for repetitive tedious grinding (seriously, Disgaea just came out) so nope

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Have you considered that people who like monster hunter care about it?

I mean, Monster Hunter 4 sold more than a million units in the west. It's not a mainstream success but that's still a sizable playerbase.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm sure Capcom will try to reinvent Monster Hunter at some point and end up ruining another of their moneymakers.

On 4chan, a user leaked the name of Monster Hunter XX before the official announcement. In the post, it was also stated that Monster Hunter would be split into Monster Hunter 5 for the PS4 and Monster Hunter Portable for the Switch. MH5 on PS4 would be a streamlined game that would take after open world WRPGs. I can see Capcom try to chase the mass market with one of their last remaining breadwinners.

So you're probably right.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I know this is going to be very difficult for you to understand, but:
Monster Hunter (3 Ulimate and the ones after it) is, by a great margin, the most satisfying action game I have ever played. I don't give a poo poo about console exclusivity. If Monster Hunter 5 is a PS4 game, I will buy a loving PS4.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Also worth mentioning: I understand MH is a popular multiplayer game in ol' Nihon. Have a buddy near by? Just ask his help if you want to down a monster and need a hand.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm a lone wolf and work alone

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm the solo hunting horn hunter,

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It is actually just a fun game to play

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I play Monster Hunter for like, 120-ish hours before it feels like a grind and then theres more game that requires real deal grinding and I stop.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Watch Monster Hunter refuse to use the right analog stick for camera control.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So when is Dragon's Dogma 2 coming

Because I really want to climb some chimerae with HD rumble and stab them in the eyes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
drat but I want a sequel to that game

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Because I really want to climb some chimerae with HD rumble and stab them in the eyes

With HD rumble, you can feel it when your short sword pops that eyeball like a grape!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Meridian posted:

Watch Monster Hunter refuse to use the right analog stick for camera control.

It already uses the nub on a n3ds for camera control

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You'll have to hope that the renewed interest from the PS4/Xbone ports is enough to green light a sequel

Or that they localise DDO :unsmigghh:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I'm sure Capcom will try to reinvent Monster Hunter at some point and end up ruining another of their moneymakers.

They're making a Monster Hunter movie. It's gonna be directed by the guy who directed the Resident Evil movies

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Andrast posted:

It already uses the nub on a n3ds for camera control

I know.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

Like, a thin pancake I understand, everyone loves crêpes, but the big diner pancake? Ugh.

The big diner pancake is a sponge which is used to bring syrup and butter into the mouth in a socially acceptable manner.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Office is closing early so it's a Switch party all day!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I'm like the most anti grinding person ever but there's something really satisfying about Monster Hunter and I'm glad we're getting a Switch version.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I've never played a Monster Hunter game but I'm not really bothered if people enjoy it or not.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm happy the Switch is getting another game people like because it is a cool and good system and I'm happy to see it doing well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I will play Monster Hunter on the Big TV

and sometimes also on the couch*

*This is a lie, I'll play it at my computer desk because I use the discord to coordinate lobbies

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

irlZaphod posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter game but I'm not really bothered if people enjoy it or not.

I played one on PSP back in 2006 and wasn't really swept up in it. It's just not my bag, I'm not crazy about grindfest loot drops.

It's why I stopped playing Destiny after two months.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol I rarely play games I like for two months, I dropped Destiny after a weekend

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!
I hate to tell you guys this (Honestly) but you will be getting the generations port (Another port) of an already existing game, and MH5 will be a PS4 exclusive announced at E3.

Edit: Oops late to the party here. Sorry. I think it sucks that MH5 wouldn't be on the Switch, however I can definitely see Capcom's reasoning.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Utnayan posted:

I hate to tell you guys this (Honestly) but you will be getting the generations port (Another port) of an already existing game, and MH5 will be a PS4 exclusive announced at E3.

Oh no two monster hunter games for consoles I own

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

empathe posted:

Sucks though for people who have a switch and wanted to play a NEW Monster Hunter. Not just another port of a game we have already played to death (If you are a Monster hunter fan, you have already played all these)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I played Super Mario RPG for a few hours yesterday. :) Thanks for listening.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

empathe posted:

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Utnayan tell me again about how the Switch should have had a disc drive

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's no reason to believe MH5 for the PS4 is even a thing. The rumor for it showing up on PS4 always exists for every MH since 3 and nothing ever comes from it beyond "awesome inside sources".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

RCarr posted:

I played Super Mario RPG for a few hours yesterday. :) Thanks for listening.

Thank you for informing us, Super Mario RPG is an excellent game

• Locked thread