Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Isn't that a Kia "performance" sedan? No one wants the Kia badge for a fun car, just look at the Stinger :(

So I saw an interesting 2015 with a few bells and whistles (Lincoln MKZ Hybrid... drat coworker couldn't shut up about them a while back and I got to looking yesterday). Would definitely be nice to sit in for my hour-ish commute compared to my 2013 Chevy Sonic.

Anywho, the salesman "managed" to drop $1,000 off the "sale price" when I started emailing. I checked today's listing and the car's about $500 less than that "special" price he managed but whatevs.

The Online Sales guy then sent me paperwork that seemed high so I decided to revisit it after lunch.
Motherfucker tried to roll in the Doc+Tax+Title costs into the loan! I'm not even financing through them!

Will probably email later in the afternoon with a counteroffer that doesn't roll in the taxes and whatnot.

Or am I hosed in the head? I'm doing Car price - incentives = Price to Finance. Tax is based off the price to finance, doc and title added in with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Isn't that a Kia "performance" sedan? No one wants the Kia badge for a fun car, just look at the Stinger :(

No, it's a Kia "luxury" sedan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Or am I hosed in the head? I'm doing Car price - incentives = Price to Finance. Tax is based off the price to finance, doc and title added in with that.

Financed amount is just total transaction amount (including all the taxes and other poo poo), less any down payment or trade in. I've never seen it done any other way.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

Eskaton posted:

Ive been scouring for why it might be bad to get a 2014 Cadenza, but I'm not finding anything. Are they good? They're so depreciated.

The big worry is going to be the cost and availability of parts since they didn't sell a lot of them. That will make the car more expensive to insure. And if you plan on keeping it long-term, you might wind up paying Mercedes/BMW prices for parts just due to rarity. But that might be a few years off yet.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

How does the talk in the recent posts hold for used vehicles?

My mom is looking at a 2018 Odyssey Elite. She doesn't need to test drive it and she'll pay cash so I don't think she will even need to meet in person with anyone.

But anyway, edmunds says:

Assuming the dealer paid around the "trade-in" value there, I'm thinking she shouldn't be paying much more than that during The Plague.

Thoughts?

I can’t imagine a scenario right now where I buy a car that is anything other than a screaming deal be it a Honda or a Duesenberg.

We got a 2018 Odyssey EXL for trade in $ via private party but it had more miles than the one you posted and two trims lower. My sister got a CPO 2018 EXL and I think she paid around $30k which was p much straight blue book.

All this was pre-Rona tho.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Proposed Budget: Probably $20-40k but flexible
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Must be a convertible
How will you be using the car?: Frequent drives from LA to Palm Springs area and normal errands around LA
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Not necessary but wouldn't go to waste
What aspects are most important to you? Must be a convertible, Must be a flashy bright color, good reliability but doesn't need to be Prius good, decent highway MPG would be nice. Doesn't need to be terribly fast or tight handling but some performance would be good.

A family friend has always wanted a Mustang convertible and is now in a spot where her old car worth way less then it's repairs and she will be starting to make frequent long trips. She is frugal but cash really isn't an issue. I'm sure what she really wants is a 60's convertible but obviously that isn't going to be practical.

Is there anything to be aware of with the Ecoboost Mustangs? I'm only aware it is the same as the Focus RS engine and based on the old Mazda/Ford L-block. Any similar recommendations? Preferably with a less aggressive appearance? Fiat 124 would probably be ideal but is too small. I think the Camaro got turned down and the only thing I could think of is a Jaguar F-type but I'm not going to be the person that recommended something with known reliability issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

stranger danger posted:

The big worry is going to be the cost and availability of parts since they didn't sell a lot of them. That will make the car more expensive to insure. And if you plan on keeping it long-term, you might wind up paying Mercedes/BMW prices for parts just due to rarity. But that might be a few years off yet.

i don't think this is too much of a risk, there's a fair amount of shared architecture with genesis. for crash parts, maybe.

people really only run in to severe parts availability problems for either short-run model crash parts or brands that are no longer a going concern in the US. also eventually unobtanium electronic components, but at that point you should ditch the car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bibendum posted:

How will you be using the car?: Frequent drives from LA to Palm Springs area and normal errands around LA
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Not necessary but wouldn't go to waste
What aspects are most important to you? Must be a convertible, Must be a flashy bright color, good reliability but doesn't need to be Prius good, decent highway MPG would be nice. Doesn't need to be terribly fast or tight handling but some performance would be good.

A family friend has always wanted a Mustang convertible and is now in a spot where her old car worth way less then it's repairs and she will be starting to make frequent long trips. She is frugal but cash really isn't an issue. I'm sure what she really wants is a 60's convertible but obviously that isn't going to be practical.

Is there anything to be aware of with the Ecoboost Mustangs? I'm only aware it is the same as the Focus RS engine and based on the old Mazda/Ford L-block. Any similar recommendations? Preferably with a less aggressive appearance? Fiat 124 would probably be ideal but is too small. I think the Camaro got turned down and the only thing I could think of is a Jaguar F-type but I'm not going to be the person that recommended something with known reliability issues.

I know you said the Fiata was too small, but did she test drive it?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 13, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bibendum posted:

buy a GT unless handling is a priority. used is fine.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

buy a GT unless handling is a priority. used is fine.

Agreed - the Ecoboost Mustang has a terrible throttle mapping that gives you 90% power with 10% pedal travel and combined with the 10 speed that has no idea what to do with that, it's jerky as gently caress. All those :goonsay: people who say it's the better Mustang are just wrong and I say that as someone who bought a Focus RS over a Mustang GT.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
My mechanic told me a coil in the transmission of my 2006 Prius is bad and the cheapest option is to replace the entire transmission for at least $1500. I've only had the car for four years, the car has 160k miles and I've had to replace the hybrid battery and a fuel pump in the last 20k. If I decide to sell it, wondering what the current recommendation is these days - another Prius? I know I got it used and ymmv and all that, but kind of disappointed I had to sink as much money as I did...

Anyways

Proposed Budget: ~$4k-$7k
Used
Body Style: Hatch or something similar. Lots of rear cargo space for easy loading
How will you be using the car?: City driving
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, Cost of ownership/maintenance, mileage, longevity
I live in CA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the tingler posted:

My mechanic told me a coil in the transmission of my 2006 Prius is bad and the cheapest option is to replace the entire transmission for at least $1500. I've only had the car for four years, the car has 160k miles and I've had to replace the hybrid battery and a fuel pump in the last 20k. If I decide to sell it, wondering what the current recommendation is these days - another Prius? I know I got it used and ymmv and all that, but kind of disappointed I had to sink as much money as I did...

Anyways

Used
Body Style: Hatch or something similar. Lots of rear cargo space for easy loading
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, Cost of ownership/maintenance, mileage, longevity
I live in CA

Your 2006 Prius is worth about that, so you wouldn't be trading up much. Another car will have its own series of problems to deal with.

I'd recommend fixing your current car and keeping it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't know what the hell is a transmission coil, but here is a Prius transmission for under $300 shipped to your door

https://www.ebay.com/i/182805610330...AiABEgLaP_D_BwE

You can find a mechanic that will do labor for about $600.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

the tingler posted:

Anyways

Used
I live in CA
How big is your mechanic's boat?

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Yeah I'd never heard of a transmission coil either and google doesn't turn up anything either, so...

I don't know any other mechanic that will touch a hybrid, but I guess I'll look around...

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Don’t forget to have him reticulate the trans-lunar splines when he’s in there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress it take it to the Toyota dealer.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

the tingler posted:

Yeah I'd never heard of a transmission coil either and google doesn't turn up anything either, so...

I don't know any other mechanic that will touch a hybrid, but I guess I'll look around...
Did you just decide that, or have you had mechanics turn you away at the door?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The transmission in a Prius is fairly special, IIRC. It might have a solenoid or something? Get a second opinion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

The transmission in a Prius is fairly special, IIRC. It might have a solenoid or something? Get a second opinion.

this is why i suggest your toyota dealer. you don't necessarily have to get it fixed there but they will be able to figure it out better than your average dude

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Did you just decide that, or have you had mechanics turn you away at the door?

Not to hijack the thread, but yes I have had many say they won't touch the car if the problem is electrical or has anything to do with the hybrid system. I will get a second opinion, though dealers here charge over a hundred just for a diagnostic. The fact that the cost of repairs for this Prius (yes it is over 120k miles) is on par with savings in mileage per year gives me pause.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

go on a prius specific forum and figure out where all those mpg autists get their cars fixed

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
I just looked, guess which shop they recommend

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the tingler posted:

Not to hijack the thread, but yes I have had many say they won't touch the car if the problem is electrical or has anything to do with the hybrid system. I will get a second opinion, though dealers here charge over a hundred just for a diagnostic. The fact that the cost of repairs for this Prius (yes it is over 120k miles) is on par with savings in mileage per year gives me pause.

Any car of any make of similar age and mileage is going to have issues. It goes with having an older car. Stuff wears out and breaks, more or less randomly.

Gas savings versus repair costs isn't really relevant, as you would spend just as much (or more) to repair a different car.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you're willing to take delivery out of dealer stock, you can offer invoice. dealer will make holdback and that's a lot better than making $0 and having the car sit. always negotiate on OTD price of course.

To build on this, I just finished my car buying journey, ending up with a Civic EX-L under weird circumstances where the dealership, who knew what I was looking for, called me and said, "hey, this other dealership wants to swap a car with us and can send us the exact EX-L you want," and the price they quoted me was ~$500 below invoice (according to the internet). It's a single point of data, but it indicates that yeah, dealers are doing whatever gets the cars off their floor.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Think it depends on the dealer. I sent an interest check email a week ago for a used vehicle and the salesman was very responsive. "Knocked" 1,000 off the advertised price and then didn't get back to me for a few days after I asked if that was their best offer.

Car's on their site at the "special deal" price I was quoted now but they're not discounting any further. :banjo:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, I know people say to wait unless a car is absolutely needed, but does everyone see some type of amazing great deals yet to come?

We want a van, but it's definitely a want and not a need. I see low or 0% interest rate offers, delayed payments, etc., but not sure whether to bite now or wait a few more months to see how bad things get good the deals get.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just bought a Genesis G80 through Carvana, delivery is scheduled for next Friday. I gotta say I’m pretty impressed with the process, it took me about 30 minutes with the app to gather all the appropriate documentation and provide banking information. It then took another 8 minute phone call with them to make sure my wife gets added to the registration/title.

We had test driven one about two months ago before we had to quarantine, so it’s not like I’m buying one blind. I’m not sure I’ll go to a dealership ever again for a car purchase process.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I know people say to wait unless a car is absolutely needed, but does everyone see some type of amazing great deals yet to come?

It's not time yet for amazing deals. That's if you have money.

If you need credit.....maybe? Maybe the price will go down but you won't qualify later? Hard to say.

But for cash buyers we haven't hit deal time yet.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Think it depends on the dealer. I sent an interest check email a week ago for a used vehicle and the salesman was very responsive. "Knocked" 1,000 off the advertised price and then didn't get back to me for a few days after I asked if that was their best offer.

Car's on their site at the "special deal" price I was quoted now but they're not discounting any further. :banjo:

May depend on the area, too. I'm in NY so maybe our dealers are acting with more urgency than average? :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Motronic posted:

If you need credit.....maybe? Maybe the price will go down but you won't qualify later? Hard to say.
March 20th or so everyone was making GBS threads themselves about the credit markets freezing up along with the DOW killing itself but now it seems like Finance is going :tif:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

March 20th or so everyone was making GBS threads themselves about the credit markets freezing up along with the DOW killing itself but now it seems like Finance is going :tif:

Not sure what you mean with your this is fine. Secondary markets have tightened up a LOT. Maybe captive financing hasn't because it's their last gasp to get rid of inventory and they haven't run out of cash yet.....

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

It's not time yet for amazing deals. That's if you have money.

But for cash buyers we haven't hit deal time yet.

When did the good deals come in 2008/2009?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

When did the good deals come in 2008/2009?

As I recall it was summer 2009 - you know, right at the end of the recession proper. No idea how you call that for any given event, but I do know that nobody has had time to go 120 days due to this event, and that's when the pain starts setting in. The government may bail them out sufficiently this time for it not to be such a thing for new car sales, but individuals with toys they couldn't really afford will start hurting badly by then.

I'd say we're within 60 days of used dually diesel quad cab prices to tank (oil fields) so if you're in the market for something to tow your race car with get ready.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Motronic posted:

As I recall it was summer 2009 - you know, right at the end of the recession proper. No idea how you call that for any given event, but I do know that nobody has had time to go 120 days due to this event, and that's when the pain starts setting in. The government may bail them out sufficiently this time for it not to be such a thing for new car sales, but individuals with toys they couldn't really afford will start hurting badly by then.

I'd say we're within 60 days of used dually diesel quad cab prices to tank (oil fields) so if you're in the market for something to tow your race car with get ready.

I'm in no rush. Just sitting on cash waiting to replace my wife's car either this year or next if we find a good deal. Alternatively, a replacement toy for me, but that'd require me to free up garage space.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

SourKraut posted:

We want a van, but it's definitely a want and not a need. I see low or 0% interest rate offers, delayed payments, etc., but not sure whether to bite now or wait a few more months to see how bad things get good the deals get.

Assuming things don't get better this year, and you're shopping new, the best time to buy will be a few months after the 2021 models hit the lot. Max incentives from the manufacturer, and quite a bit of pressure to get the old cars off the lot.

I have no idea what is going to happen this summer though, they might delay the 2021 MY vehicles for all I know. I only really pay attention to Ford offers, but I know there's some good deals on any leftover 2019's left on the lot, plus insane financing. Looks like Ford will give 0 for 84% on certain 2019 vehicles to Tier 0 to 4 credit (Tier 4 is like a 620).

I just don't auto manufacturers keeping production rates as high as they have been though, so it's really hard to tell whats going to happen.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The difference between now and the Great Recession is that most manufacturing is closed or curtailed, so you won't have the quantities of supply driving down demand. We'll see how much retooling actually happens.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

what's the AI wisdom for best gas mileage in a car that's not some weirdo hybrid or diesel thing? / ...is buying a diesel car as annoying as it seems? i feel like it's random what gas stations carry diesel

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wolfs posted:

what's the AI wisdom for best gas mileage in a car that's not some weirdo hybrid or diesel thing? / ...is buying a diesel car as annoying as it seems? i feel like it's random what gas stations carry diesel
If you're in the US:
Prius. It's not a weirdo Hybrid, it's the industry standard and there are millions of them out there. Diesel is a PITA (I own 2) because it's more expensive upfront, maintenance is more expensive, and fuel is more money AND it's not at every station. The added costs (initial purchase, maintenance, and fuel) of a diesel for fuel mileage concerns are absolutely not worth it. If you want one because you do a fuckton of highway driving, run the numbers in Excel for yourself, and you'll see that it's not a good idea.
Alternative: Any small econoshitbox. My '07 Fit still gets 35-36MPG highway, 31 around town. A new Fit does 40/33. New Corolla: 31/40. Pruis: 55!/54!

Outside the US:
Diesel is more common and they get crazy small diesels in small cars that get incredible mileage. They're super slow, but get 60+mpg. A 3-cylinder diesel in a teeny car gets great mileage, but you'll suffer in other ways.

More details please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

also even if you own a modern urea injected diesel you still hate the environment. diesels emit more heavy pollutants and more CO2 (approximately 15%) per gallon of fuel consumed.