Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Protect has been a FF spell since forever, but the same could be said of Shell and Reflect and I get along just fine without those.

...although having to bounce offensive magic off a party members Reflect to defeat an enemy's could maybe be a fun gimmick in a trial or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

a kitten posted:

...although having to bounce offensive magic off a party members Reflect to defeat an enemy's could maybe be a fun gimmick in a trial or something.

Or a reverse of the second boss of Castrum Abania. That'd be a neat twist.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Now that duty actions are a thing I wouldn't be surprised if some dungeon had a reflect gimmick, like vril.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SWOLE GOBLINS made it past ED at last, even with the server lag making Black Holes jump miles at a time.

I think the server lag is making Susano act weird, too. During his fight, he combined Stormsplitter + Lightning Marker. I had to run to the other side while also staying on the thin line. Which I couldn't, because the guy who made the line had it way out of my movement area.

So I died. :v:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
The PVP version of protect is cool and good and the PVE version should be more like that.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Quick question: I'm leveling PLD right now (level 43 at the moment) and I'm curious if it's worth popping into Sword Oath on trash pulls. I'm not sure when the damage boost is worth the lost GCD and added healer workload, especially in dungeons that are notorious for making marginal healers sad.

Also, hit 70 NIN and I still have no idea what I'm doing on it half the time. And that's before TCJ!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Two PotD runs of 51 - 60 today. Both times, the whole party aside from me died repeatedly (and with a near wipe on the second). Both times, I revived the whole party.

Both times I got one commendation. :argh:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Quick question: I'm leveling PLD right now (level 43 at the moment) and I'm curious if it's worth popping into Sword Oath on trash pulls. I'm not sure when the damage boost is worth the lost GCD and added healer workload, especially in dungeons that are notorious for making marginal healers sad.

Also, hit 70 NIN and I still have no idea what I'm doing on it half the time. And that's before TCJ!

IIRC it's worth it to drop shield oath while youre killing the pack(assuming you can keep threat and not die) but not switch all the way to sword. Personally just keep shield on unless you roll with people who know exactly what they are doing. Either way I never drop shield during trash. But I'll go sword all the way on every boss.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

IIRC it's worth it to drop shield oath while youre killing the pack(assuming you can keep threat and not die) but not switch all the way to sword. Personally just keep shield on unless you roll with people who know exactly what they are doing. Either way I never drop shield during trash. But I'll go sword all the way on every boss.

????

Theres no reason not to use sword if youre not in Shield.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mix maxing leveling dungeons is kind of not worth crunching the numbers for. I've been leveling PLD and I didn't bother to unlock Sword Oath until the mid 50s.

The boost in DPS might result in a 90 second faster clear in Haukke or something, which will be immediately wiped out and nullified by waiting for your healer's MP to catch up or the SAM having to answer the door for their Dominos.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Phone posted:

Mix maxing leveling dungeons is kind of not worth crunching the numbers for. I've been leveling PLD and I didn't bother to unlock Sword Oath until the mid 50s.

You're trash, do your class quests, get your abilities. Namaste.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Phone posted:

The boost in DPS might result in a 90 second faster clear in Haukke or something, which will be immediately wiped out and nullified by waiting for your healer's MP to catch up or the SAM having to answer the door for their Dominos.
Why would you wait for a healer's MP to catch up? It can keep you alive even if it starts the fight with 0 mana.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It takes a gcd to switch from one oath to the other, but it doesn't take a gcd to drop out of an oath. In some very niche circumstances, it's a dps boost to drop out of shield and go oath-less. If a single trash mob isn't going to live longer than five gcds, and won't do a significant amount of damage, then dropping shield oath might be enough to let you kill him a gcd or two faster, depending on your party's damage and where you are at in your combo. It's also a slight damage boost to turn off shield oath if you are going to use hallowed ground, since you won't need the damage reduction with your immunity, as long as you can use circle of scorn for its dot while you have your immunity.

It's not a huge damage boost, and I don't recommend doing it, but it is a theoretical way to increase PLD dps.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KoB posted:

????

Theres no reason not to use sword if youre not in Shield.

Turning on sword oath costs a GCD and only gives you extra auto-attack damage, it doesn't make your abilities hit any harder. It's a waste compared to just turning off shield oath for AOE situations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Man, why does Sword Oath still suck?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

So what exactly is the point of Troubador? Only one of the effects seems universally useful, with the other 2 being very situational, and there's no guarantee that you'll be in the desired song to execute that particular effect.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bolow posted:

So what exactly is the point of Troubador? Only one of the effects seems universally useful, with the other 2 being very situational, and there's no guarantee that you'll be in the desired song to execute that particular effect.

It’s for killing your party in O1s.

See also: displacement/jump in O2s (though that one is less deniable)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You're trash, do your class quests, get your abilities. Namaste.

Spending an hour listening to Janus or whatever his name is wax poetic about how he's a really good boy from a long line of good boys wasn't on the menu when I was just hopping into LDR or Frontlines. vOv

It's OK, I'm a really good boy just like my very good boy Paladin friend.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Two PotD runs of 51 - 60 today. Both times, the whole party aside from me died repeatedly (and with a near wipe on the second). Both times, I revived the whole party.

Both times I got one commendation. :argh:

I was in an EXDR party where the samurai was doing about 2k DPS, not using AOEs at all, getting hit by AOE, the whole gambit.

Somebody else gave him a recommendation, which I saw because it triggered an achievement.

Some people are just not aware of what the other people in their party are doing. The number of bad DPS I run into in EXDR is distressing tho.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
to be fair if you don't know a class and aren't running ACT it's sometimes hard to tell which DPS is the brain dead one

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BLM are probably the easiest to help because you can see every cast so don’t even need ACT to see if someone is terribly wrong.

I mean, other than RDMs hard casting their long casts.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Speaking of that, lag as a rdm is really goddamned annoying, because it completely throws off the rhythm of the rotation when the game sometimes decides that actually, you didn’t proc dualcast after all, wait just kidding, I see that you did, enjoy your instacast of jolt 2. But not an impactful proc.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

BLM are probably the easiest to help because you can see every cast so don’t even need ACT to see if someone is terribly wrong.

Yeah, I think the other indicator would be single mobs dying much faster than the others during a big pull. But still hard to tell which DPS is the culprit without ACT I guess.

And god help you if you have other characters effects turned off

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hobbesmaster posted:

BLM is the easiest to tell if they're doing things the right way

Can't see the boss behind a giant wall of fire? BLM is doing fine.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Renegret posted:

BLM is the easiest to tell if they're doing things the right way

Can't see the boss behind a giant wall of fire? BLM is doing fine.

Nonstop Blizzard 1 with a full MP bar? Cry.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
AOE is simple enough that it's pretty easy to tell if someone is loving up. You could turn my monitor off and I could tell if a ninja is messing it up just by the lack of their terrible aoe sound.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ainsley McTree posted:

Speaking of that, lag as a rdm is really goddamned annoying, because it completely throws off the rhythm of the rotation when the game sometimes decides that actually, you didn’t proc dualcast after all, wait just kidding, I see that you did, enjoy your instacast of jolt 2. But not an impactful proc.

Lemme tell you of ninja and the mudra system which laughs at your missed dualcast.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Trasson posted:

The thing I see the most with blms is casting nothing but fire/blizzard 3. Then you have to do a little mental math to decide if it’s quicker to explain the blm rotation to a stranger, or to just power through and get on with your day

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ainsley McTree posted:

The thing I see the most with blms is casting nothing but fire/blizzard 3. Then you have to do a little mental math to decide if it’s quicker to explain the blm rotation to a stranger, or to just power through and get on with your day

I've done this before during 50/60 roulette in a lv50 dungeon, usually on the last enemy in a pack because fire 3/bliz 3 is fast and flashy.

But if I'm doing exdr, I'm setting myself up for a foul-flarex4-foul sandwich at every goddamn opportunity.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I did a thing

wow these rewards suck though :(

I need a chump to buy these gathering pants who doesn't check the overmelds

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 14, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Bolow posted:

They last 30 seconds and can be applied at any point during the entire 30 seconds of a song to get the desired effect, changing to the next in your rotation does not remove the previous songs troubadour effect. So you have up to a minute of using it before you need it for party-wide mitigation. It's actually pretty good if you have the encounter knowledge to make use of it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Rascyc posted:

I did a thing

You can extract the materia back out now, remember?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You can extract the materia back out now, remember?
I don't really follow. The gathering pants cap with like three grade 1 overmelds, there's barely any room on it to benefit from having so many open slots (vitality comedy I guess). The chest I guess? It's still 320 at the end of the day, at the end of a content cycle.

Unless you mean the clusters/crystal then yeah those are always nice.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Trasson posted:

I had a BLM in a 60 dungeon who only used Fire 1 and Blizzard 1, no Enochian, no AOE, no Thunder.

Still better than that BLM who was pressing random buttons in Darkhold.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The BLM I got for Cutters Cry who did literally nothing but Thunder 2 and Break sure was a thing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

At least he wasen't using Sleep :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I had a BLM in a 60 dungeon who only used Fire 1 and Blizzard 1, no Enochian, no AOE, no Thunder.

Still better than that BLM who was pressing random buttons in Darkhold.

That sounds like me.

When I ran Sastasha at level 15.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I can’t tell if blm is the class that pubbies are worst at, or if it’s just the most noticeable when they are on account of how you have time to read just about every spell they’re casting, but either way I’ve come to learn to dread having them in my roulette runs

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rascyc posted:

I did a thing

Oh, you poor thing. :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can’t tell if blm is the class that pubbies are worst at, or if it’s just the most noticeable when they are on account of how you have time to read just about every spell they’re casting, but either way I’ve come to learn to dread having them in my roulette runs

Keep an eye on the next MNK you play with and see if they're using tornado kick every time they get GL3.