Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not snake oil in that it actually does affect your sound but it exactly does is basically just cut some frequencies iirc. It's overhyped and from what I've generally heard it's nice when you're on your own but sucks some life out of a mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

If you're going to use it, put it in the FX loop.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
also how does one know if a pedal can act as a preamp before a power amp. I'd really like to just use the catalinbread gallileo II into a power amp but i don't know if that would work or be too quiet or whatever.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Weird BIAS posted:

Talk to me about the BBE Sonic Stomp because I just want to call it snake oil but also want to believe in a box that makes things sound better.

Absolute bullshit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LosL-gdHLpk

I'd hazard that If you need a "tone box" in your setup something us wrong with your rig which would be better fixed at the source. At MOST maybe a graphic eq would be an idea for doing functionally the same thing with more accuracy.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 21, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Weird BIAS posted:

also how does one know if a pedal can act as a preamp before a power amp. I'd really like to just use the catalinbread gallileo II into a power amp but i don't know if that would work or be too quiet or whatever.

You pretty much answered your own question: if the output is high enough. Like unity gain at halfway up. You can always add a line boost though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

EP Boost is a magical box that makes things sound better, Sonic Maximizer/Sonic Stomp is just a gateway to 90s hard rock

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

most distortion pedals are magic boxes that make everything sound better in my book.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

massive spider posted:

most distortion pedals are magic boxes that make everything sound better in my book.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

EP Boost is a magical box that makes things sound better,

The EP Boost is honest-to-god, the closest thing to a magic tone box that I can think of. It just makes everything sound loving good, there is never a reason to turn it off

Also, lol at that BBE video, that is unfucking believable.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Hollis Brownsound posted:

The EP Boost is honest-to-god, the closest thing to a magic tone box that I can think of. It just makes everything sound loving good, there is never a reason to turn it off

I keep waffling back and forth between the EP Boost and the SHO as my go-to 'always on magic box'; they're like 2 sides of same 'make your guitar sound awesomer' coin.
I should probably just build both circuits into the same box and call it a day.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
yall should look at the icarus clean boost by caroline. i usually run my guitar a little lower/lower pickups and use that to bring it up and it gives the notes a nice warm blanket of tone imho

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

massive spider posted:

Absolute bullshit

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LosL-gdHLpk

I'd hazard that If you need a "tone box" in your setup something us wrong with your rig which would be better fixed at the source. At MOST maybe a graphic eq would be an idea for doing functionally the same thing with more accuracy.

The marketing is bs but just because the function is simple doesn't mean it's useless. I've never used BBE products but the pedals seem reasonably priced and people seem to like them so is there really a problem?

btw the demo video only seems to use a static test signal. looking at schematics of BBE clones they seem to do some dynamic EQing based on input level, so a graphic EQ won't do exactly the same job.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I have a clone with the dip switches on the outside and I can't figure out what they do but it just sounds good no matter what so I mean :shrug:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

the wizards beard posted:

The marketing is bs but just because the function is simple doesn't mean it's useless. I've never used BBE products but the pedals seem reasonably priced and people seem to like them so is there really a problem?

btw the demo video only seems to use a static test signal. looking at schematics of BBE clones they seem to do some dynamic EQing based on input level, so a graphic EQ won't do exactly the same job.

I agree to a point, If something works for you, whatever. The fact that it basically scoops all your low end, then magically adds it back when you engage the pedal makes me pretty suspicious of how much the unit is actually accomplishing.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

I agree to a point, If something works for you, whatever. The fact that it basically scoops all your low end, then magically adds it back when you engage the pedal makes me pretty suspicious of how much the unit is actually accomplishing.

Yeah that's the only thing that I find irritating personally. Does the pedal version do that?

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting
This will quite possibly ruin my bank account

From https://twitter.com/pghmodular/status/581570475668688896

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

For whatever reason, Akai is blowing out its stock of E2 Headrushes at $70 a pop on eBay. Great looper, pretty good tape echo emulator, totally wacky A/B/C/D splitter

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

For whatever reason, Akai is blowing out its stock of E2 Headrushes at $70 a pop on eBay. Great looper, pretty good tape echo emulator, totally wacky A/B/C/D splitter

^ word of caution: there's a known issue with these where it can randomly stop playing and dump the loop. Akai acknowledges it on their forum, and pretty much says you gotta pay to have it fixed by a certified tech. Mine has this problem and it really sucks, because I love the pedal but I can never trust it enough to gig with it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I'm potentially looking for a multi effect to shove in the loop of my super ego. Right now I have it going out to my DA5 as a 2nd amp just to get some warble on the frozen sound, but I really want some pitch shifting and maybe some detune style chorus or something. The contenders seem to be the RP360 and the zoom g3. The RP360 only lets you have one modulation effect, so I couldn't do octaves and univibe or something, while the few demos I've heard of the g3 pitch shifting weren't terribly compelling. Are there others out there that I'm missing?

I'm at this weird decision point where I have a tube amp and a bunch of analogue effects, but also some really nice digital ones and I'm thinking that maybe solid state and modeling stuff isn't all that bad. Contemporize....man.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Declan MacManus posted:

Are they gone or what? Nearest I see is $100 + shipping

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

anyone have any experience with Noisemaker Pedals? i'm itching to get a fuzz and was thinking of picking up either the Cold War or the Orange Crush (leaning towards the former, although it is $20 more and the Orange Crush sounds pretty good too)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the wizards beard posted:

Are they gone or what? Nearest I see is $100 + shipping

Here's the cheapest one I found, at $65 and with faster shipping than I got which makes me white hot with burning rage

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
yeah atlantas only far when youre goin to a show :smugdog:
i have been kinda thinkin about a headrush for a while so wth why not

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
Moog MF Analog Delay is down to $120 on Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day. I thought $150 was a good deal a few months ago.

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Do all the Minifoogers run off +9v rather than -9v? Or did they just label the jack weird?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Turkey Farts posted:

Do all the Minifoogers run off +9v rather than -9v? Or did they just label the jack weird?

Hmm, the website says +9V but I don't have my MF Delay setup any different from the rest of my pedals. :shrug:

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

I always held off on the MF Delay because the +9v seemed like a hassle (I have exactly one cable to reverse polarity and it's in use). If you guys are running it with a negative barrel maybe I'll give it a shot.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

anyone have any experience with Noisemaker Pedals? i'm itching to get a fuzz and was thinking of picking up either the Cold War or the Orange Crush (leaning towards the former, although it is $20 more and the Orange Crush sounds pretty good too)

I have a Super Nova fuzz, which they don't seem to make anymore. The switch has been on the fritz since the first week I got it and the gain knob does nothing, so hopefully their quality control improved in the last couple of years.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

The Bunk posted:

Hmm, the website says +9V but I don't have my MF Delay setup any different from the rest of my pedals. :shrug:

Same here

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Moog Minifoogers are all 9v tip-negative, just like 90% of stompboxes out there.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

OutOfPrint posted:

I have a Super Nova fuzz, which they don't seem to make anymore. The switch has been on the fritz since the first week I got it and the gain knob does nothing, so hopefully their quality control improved in the last couple of years.

hmm, according to their website all pedals have a lifetime warrantee for any defects, you ever try and take them up on that?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
so I am trying to build this fuzz pedal and my drat solder keeps rolling off my iron and won't stick to my perf board either.

I got this pcb board as well from guitar pcb, but I can't find out where to start the circuit and stuff and all the documents show a different pcb ugh.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Smash it Smash hit posted:

so I am trying to build this fuzz pedal and my drat solder keeps rolling off my iron and won't stick to my perf board either.

I got this pcb board as well from guitar pcb, but I can't find out where to start the circuit and stuff and all the documents show a different pcb ugh.

It sounds like you're not soldering correctly; don't try to 'transfer' solder from the iron to the components. Instead, use the iron to heat up the components, and press the solder into said components (or at least press the solder onto where the tip and component meet) and let it melt over them. Try to keep the tip of your iron clean, and make sure to rough up the casing to any pots your soldering a ground wire to - solder doesn't usually like to stick to the back of pots without some scratches to melt into.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

JohnnySmitch posted:

It sounds like you're not soldering correctly; don't try to 'transfer' solder from the iron to the components. Instead, use the iron to heat up the components, and press the solder into said components (or at least press the solder onto where the tip and component meet) and let it melt over them. Try to keep the tip of your iron clean, and make sure to rough up the casing to any pots your soldering a ground wire to - solder doesn't usually like to stick to the back of pots without some scratches to melt into.

alright that makes sense.

However i am unsure where to start the circuit. I am this http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1514021

but the schematic they provide is this http://www.guitarpcb.com/PDF%20Files/OKF%20Build%20Doc.pdf

which doesn't seem to be the same thing and I am unsure where the ground is, the in is and the out is.

thanks for the tips

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Turkey Farts posted:

The big Minifoogers with the wood panels on the side were 9v+, and the new Microfoogers are 9v-. One of the reasons I bought a Micro Ring Mod to use live despite already having the big MF-102. That way, no one could be spared my ring mod abuse.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

After The War posted:

The big Minifoogers with the wood panels on the side were 9v+, and the new Microfoogers are 9v-. One of the reasons I bought a Micro Ring Mod to use live despite already having the big MF-102. That way, no one could be spared my ring mod abuse.

Point of order, the big, wood-paneled things are Moogerfoogers, and the new standard pedal-sized ones are the Minifoogers.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

hmm, according to their website all pedals have a lifetime warrantee for any defects, you ever try and take them up on that?

Cool, didn't know that. Looks like I'll have a trip report for their customer service in a couple of weeks. Thank you for the tip!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Speaking of Minifoogers, I finally got around to listening to a demo of the new MF Chorus, and goddrat that is the best sounding chorus demo I've ever heard. Granted, it's Andy, but daaaaaamn that thing sounds great.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Schpyder posted:

Point of order, the big, wood-paneled things are Moogerfoogers, and the new standard pedal-sized ones are the Minifoogers.

Goddamn it, you're right. Shows how long it's been since we were stocking the big bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

After The War posted:

Goddamn it, you're right. Shows how long it's been since we were stocking the big bastards.

I can't imagine it's easy to move $700 effects pedals.