Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, no, not worth my time.

I'm looking for a sure-ish thing... Doesn't have to be a ninja.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

VTNewb posted:

I think it would have to be absolutely ground draggingly catastophically loose because the 82 XL250 I ride occasionally drops its chain off the sprocket constantly and doesn't jerk.
I had to read this a few times to understand that the chain constantly dropping off the sprocket is why you might ride it only occasionally.

The first several times, it came out as
That 82 XL250 I ride? It occasionally drops its chain off the sprocket constantly.

*head explodes*

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Jabs posted:

I had to read this a few times to understand that the chain constantly dropping off the sprocket is why you might ride it only occasionally.

The first several times, it came out as
That 82 XL250 I ride? It occasionally drops its chain off the sprocket constantly.

*head explodes*

Not my bike, but when i go up to my buddies house I'll play with it. The seat is ripped wide open and it has a CR125 tank from 79 on it held on with a garden hose.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/1434535729.html

I've talked to the guy and hes got the mirrors and the sprocket cover (don't know why he would remove it but he says he has it) he says the valves were checked at 12k and good to go anything else I should ask? The price looks not to bad to me but I don't really know.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Kallikrates posted:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/1434535729.html

I've talked to the guy and hes got the mirrors and the sprocket cover (don't know why he would remove it but he says he has it) he says the valves were checked at 12k and good to go anything else I should ask? The price looks not to bad to me but I don't really know.

Posting's been deleted.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Wish I could say it was me that bought it figures an ad I've been staring at for more than a month gets snatched up the day I call the guy. Anyways now I'm looking at http://lubbock.craigslist.org/mcy/1427087662.html low miles but it's been sitting idle enough to kill a battery I've talked him down to 3200 including delivery (4 hour drive) other than this being the first year of the sm model I should just check the tires and change the oil and be gtg right.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Kallikrates posted:

Wish I could say it was me that bought it figures an ad I've been staring at for more than a month gets snatched up the day I call the guy. Anyways now I'm looking at http://lubbock.craigslist.org/mcy/1427087662.html low miles but it's been sitting idle enough to kill a battery I've talked him down to 3200 including delivery (4 hour drive) other than this being the first year of the sm model I should just check the tires and change the oil and be gtg right.

Pretty much. That's a good price, considering delivery. Does it run at the moment? It may need the carbs cleaned. If it's running and ready to go, that's a fantastic deal.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
He says it runs like a champ, I'll wait and see... it is a drz, though, and I doubt there's much you can do in 2000 miles to break it beyond a cheap repair from what I gather.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
The ninja 250 owner never got back to me through email so I was browsing craigslist and saw this Yamaha xz550 vision.

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

Sounds like a deal for 850, would this be to much power for my first bike? I did 2000 miles on a 125 cc scooter, but this would be a huge upgrade.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

So I'm still looking for a starter bike mainly for my highway commute although I'm a bit more experienced now. I've been riding a friends Ninja 500 for a few weeks now and I really feel comfortable on it. I don't know if I mentioned it before but I've also ridden dirt on and off over the years.

I check craiglist every so often and these SV650S caught my interest: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1423406047.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1440854218.html

I was just wondering if I'm getting in over my head with these or if there's anything I should look out for if I go and look at these.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jaros posted:

So I'm still looking for a starter bike mainly for my highway commute although I'm a bit more experienced now. I've been riding a friends Ninja 500 for a few weeks now and I really feel comfortable on it. I don't know if I mentioned it before but I've also ridden dirt on and off over the years.

I check craiglist every so often and these SV650S caught my interest: http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1423406047.html
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1440854218.html

I was just wondering if I'm getting in over my head with these or if there's anything I should look out for if I go and look at these.

Both of those look really good, especially the first one, which is astoundingly cheap. It's possible that it has really high miles, but the SVs will easily go the distance with good care.

You won't kill yourself on an SV as a new rider, although it's going to require a little more care until you adjust to it. But with previous experience on a ninja 500 and dirt riding, you should be fine.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
So on the above drz I'm probably buying I'm making a list of stuff that needs to get done. So far I have checking the tires and oil (probably chaining the oil), I'm thinking I also need to change the brake fluid and check the brake lines. Check the chain for rust/lube.. Is there anything else I should do?

Kallikrates fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 29, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Kallikrates posted:

So on the above drz I'm probably buying I'm making a list of stuff that needs to get done. So far I have checking the tires and oil (probably chaining the oil), I'm thinking I also need to change the brake fluid and check the brake lines. Check the chain for rust/lube.. Is there anything else I should do?

Oil change for sure, check the brake fluid yes, check the pads (DRZ's *can* eat pads, mine didnt, but people say they do sometimes), check chain health/tension.

Then pull the seat off and see if the airbox has been modded. If it hasn't, do the 3x3 mod.

Toss the useless stock air filter for a K&N.

Now rejett, or be super manly and ebay yourself a FCR39 carb.

Also recommend you to go thumpertalk's marketplace and buy yourself a set of case savers. DRZ's crash, and the shift lever/brake lever smashes into the engine case and if your unlucky it gets costly fast.

Edit: Also: http://www.supermotoracer.com/SMR%20Tech%20stories/iss2_backitin.pdf

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 29, 2009

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
I was going to make some axle sliders but I'll pick up the case sliders, I'll wait for the power mods till I at least move from newbie to novice. thanks.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcy/1443540028.html

onlything within my price range I've seen in a few days, but probably won't go for it..

Gs500 for 1k god damnit right now!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/search/?areaID=7&subAreaID=&query=gs500&catAbbreviation=sss

too bad they are all $2k :mad:, and ex250's are even worse :ssj:

soy fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 30, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So update on that bike, the guy pulled the ad yesterday evening or today and I thought it'd gotten away from me (didn't have time to go check it out last weekend), I emailed him and apparently it's still for sale but is having an electrical problem. As I mentioned before, guy's a mechanic and I infer he's using it as a regular commuter, how concerned should I be?

Even if it's not fixed by this weekend I'm thinking about going over anyways and just checking out the cosmetics, tires, suspension, vibe of owner. Guy seems okay enough but is extremely terse by email.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

So update on that bike, the guy pulled the ad yesterday evening or today and I thought it'd gotten away from me (didn't have time to go check it out last weekend), I emailed him and apparently it's still for sale but is having an electrical problem. As I mentioned before, guy's a mechanic and I infer he's using it as a regular commuter, how concerned should I be?

Even if it's not fixed by this weekend I'm thinking about going over anyways and just checking out the cosmetics, tires, suspension, vibe of owner. Guy seems okay enough but is extremely terse by email.

Still worth checking out, figure out what the electrical problem is and then report back and we can let you know how bad it is. Most electrical problems just require some patiences and a wiring diagram. If you can bargain him down off of some mostly inconsequential electrical issues, you get could a fantastic deal.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
the fact he pulled the add is a good indication he's an honest seller. I'd continue to pursue the bike,

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Well neither of those SV650 sellers responded which is kind of a bummer but I did happen to find this 2004 GS500F: http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/mcy/1443459636.html

I was just wondering what price should I try and work him down to?

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Oh man, I sat on a Gladius today.... I dont know why you guys seem to hate them, it was soooo good.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ Homo spotted.

ninja edit: The Gladius hate is purely aesthetic. It's an SV 650, and the penalty for not liking SV 650's in AI is instant and irrevocable ostracism.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Been shopping Honda ST1300's, and think I've found a serious contender. 2003, 38,000 miles, some nice add ons (headlight modulator, electric window conversion, Givi E52 box, etc) well maintained with almost brand new Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires and a fresh oil change from the Honda dealer. Anyone else here own one and have anything to point out that I should be looking for in particular?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

MrKatharsis posted:

^^^ Homo Chick spotted.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Maybe this has been covered before; such is the disadvantage to a 60+ page thread.

I'm a complete beginner looking to get something to learn with. I'm not 100% sure if I want a scooter or a "real" bike yet. I've looked at Hondas some (the Elite scooter and the Rebel), but I'm just not sure.
I really like the scooter for the fuel efficiency. I live ~2 miles from work, and it would be nice not to drive my giant old-man car every day. I really like the 'real bike' because it's freeway-friendly and a little more versatile; I worry that if I get a scooter I'll want to exceed 45mph at some point in time.
  • I'd like to get something which is above all, reliable. I'm not a gear head (yet) so this is #1 for me.
  • If I get something bigger than a scooter, I'd like it to be freeway-speed-capable with both my wife and myself on (and we're both somewhat heavy).
  • I'm really hoping for something in the sub-$5000 range. I don't know that I can purchase for a few months at least, but I'm not sure how much the off-season affects prices.
  • I mentioned earlier that I'm a beginner, but I thought I'd reiterate it since my closest experience is basically mountain bikes as a kid.
Any goonly advice that can be offered would be incredibly appreciated by this complete newbie.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Less than $5000 for the bike alone gets you a lot of options, but you're going to want gear for yourself and for your wife if she's riding, so I would knock that figure down to $2500. If you're already contemplating breaking 45 mph, I'd say go with a traditional bike. The Ninja 250 is the usual recommendation for a starter, it's been around forever so the bugs are pretty much worked out of it, and it's got a huge fanbase so information is not hard to find. It's capable of freeway speeds 1-up, though it won't have much in reserve. If you're planning on riding 2-up, you might consider something a bit bigger, like a GS500 or Ninja 500 (both of which are also thoroughly debugged), or even an SV650. You should be able to find any of these used for less than $2500 if you live in the States. You want to go used anyway, because chances are good that you'll drop the bike at some point, and the non-catastrophic damage from a low-speed drop is much easier to take on a bike you didn't buy new.

However: Take the MSF course or local equivalent, and put in a good half-a-year to a year of riding before you even think about two-up. Take the course before you buy a bike, even.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Ok question I bought that drz several posts up and I was pretty spot on. Some of the plastic is scratched up but that's a cheap fix and I want to change from yellow to black or white anyways. The brake fluid is tea colored so I'll be changing that out, and the chain needs some tlc. One of the brake lines has a little nick probably from when the plastics got scratched. It also needs a good wash.

Now question: how can I get this thing inspected and registered the owner is mailing me the plates but they are expired and I want to try and get it all done sooner. I can't haul this thing to a mechanic.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Phy posted:

Less than $5000 for the bike alone gets you a lot of options, but you're going to want gear for yourself and for your wife if she's riding, so I would knock that figure down to $2500. If you're already contemplating breaking 45 mph, I'd say go with a traditional bike. The Ninja 250 is the usual recommendation for a starter, it's been around forever so the bugs are pretty much worked out of it, and it's got a huge fanbase so information is not hard to find. It's capable of freeway speeds 1-up, though it won't have much in reserve. If you're planning on riding 2-up, you might consider something a bit bigger, like a GS500 or Ninja 500 (both of which are also thoroughly debugged), or even an SV650. You should be able to find any of these used for less than $2500 if you live in the States. You want to go used anyway, because chances are good that you'll drop the bike at some point, and the non-catastrophic damage from a low-speed drop is much easier to take on a bike you didn't buy new.

However: Take the MSF course or local equivalent, and put in a good half-a-year to a year of riding before you even think about two-up. Take the course before you buy a bike, even.
Thanks for the quick response! I hadn't seen the Kawasaki or the Suzuki; I think there's a dealer nearby that carries them. I've noticed a proportionally-larger number of Craigslist ads for bikes in the area; are private sales considered a better idea? Or is it kind of like the used car scene where reputable dealers are generally worthwhile for used vehicles?

I actually had been reading about the MSF courses; passing Ohio's version waives the actual driving test to get your motorcycle endorsement since there's a more-practical test at the end of the class. Actual instruction sounds much more useful to me than just wobbling around on a learner's permit for 6 months and then failing a skills test at the BMV.

Thanks again!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm basically set on getting a gs500e but I was wondering if there's a good resource out there for mods/parts/howtos that's relatively current...

http://www.gstwin.com/ is an ok site but it looks like it was made in 1997 by some fat midwestern guy or something

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
To follow up, (this is more of an "I know nothing about cars/mechanics/non-computers" thing) is there a reason the Ninja 500's motor is able to output nearly a quarter more horsepower than the GS500's (59.1 vs. 47)?

More importantly, how much should that difference factor into my decision, if at all? I weigh about 280, do I need more horsepower to lug my fat rear end around?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It shouldn't factor into it at all. A Ninja 250 will haul you around with no problem. My DRZ carries me with no complaint with something like 35 hp and I'm not much lighter than you.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Sonic Dude posted:

To follow up, (this is more of an "I know nothing about cars/mechanics/non-computers" thing) is there a reason the Ninja 500's motor is able to output nearly a quarter more horsepower than the GS500's (59.1 vs. 47)?
It's like Athlon processors versus Intel processors.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Sonic Dude posted:

The Ninja is just pressure tested to contain a much larger volume of blue smoke in its vital electronic components.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

niethan posted:

It's like Athlon processors versus Intel processors.
Excellent comparison. :science:
I think I've narrowed it down to those two bikes based on what I've seen in the area.

Does the private sale market change noticeably this time of year vs. spring? And if so, is it in my favor?

Thanks for all the help, everyone. :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Sonic Dude posted:

Does the private sale market change noticeably this time of year vs. spring? And if so, is it in my favor?
Yes and yes. Around this time you're going to have tons of seasonal riders trying to unload their bikes and very few people looking to buy. Perfect time to buy. When spring rolls around everyone is going to want to get back to riding and not many people will want to sell, so the prices will shoot up.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

More importantly, how much should that difference factor into my decision, if at all? I weigh about 280, do I need more horsepower to lug my fat rear end around?

The ninja is watercooled like your car. It means it allows to dissapate heat better and as a result can have more aggresive horsepower generating charactaristics. The GS just flows air around the engine to get rid of heat, and can't get rid of it as well, so it's a bit milder.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

I had a GS500 as a first bike, and being 5'11 190 lbs it felt very small. I'd seriously sit on one, and if you're able to, drive it for at least a half hour. Do you need more horse power? No, not really. Do you need to manipulate the engine more? Yes... But comfort will be a huge factor here.

I learned to ride street on an '08 ZX6R. I bought a GS500e after quite a few miles on the ZX6R as it wasn't my bike, but a friend lent it to me. I sold the GS500e and bought a SV650. I'd seriously take a look at the SV650 because of your size.

I live in C'Bus. What's up? O-H

mrchina fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 2, 2009

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
a shop near me is selling an srx250 for about 1200... its sooo sweet looking, but I'm guessing that parts availability must be fun on a model that was only in the US for 1 year.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrchina posted:

I learned to ride street on an '08 ZX6R. I bought a GS500e after quite a few miles on the ZX6R as it wasn't my bike, but a friend lent it to me. I sold the GS500e and bought a SV650. I'd seriously take a look at the SV650 because of your size.

Thanks for this advice. I like that the sv650 has a little bit higher quality parts as well, and it seems like the aftermarket for it is a little richer.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mrchina posted:

I'd seriously take a look at the SV650 because of your size.
Is a ~650cc going to be too much for me to start out? I want to have something I won't outgrow right away, but I don't want the learning curve to be so steep that I don't enjoy it (or worse, wreck the thing like the video back on page 1).
I'm quickly learning that well-cared-for motorcycles have much better resale values than cars of the same age, so I'm comfortable upgrading in a couple of years.
There's a couple of Ninja 500s on Craigslist and the like in the $2k-2.5k range, and not too far away from me (and the better half likes it aesthetically) so would that be something worth pursuing?

mrchina posted:

Sweet! Columbus here too (well, Gahanna). I-O, but I never watch the games.

Sonic Dude fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

Is a ~650cc going to be too much for me to start out? I want to have something I won't outgrow right away, but I don't want the learning curve to be so steep that I don't enjoy it (or worse, wreck the thing like the video back on page 1).

Sweet! Columbus here too (well, Gahanna). I-O, but I never watch the games.

It's not the size of the engine I'm talking about with the GS500, EX500... it's the physical size of the seat, height of the bike, etc that wasn't working for me. My butt was wider than the seat which was real uncomfortable. I'm not saying toss out the idea, because they are great bikes and they might fit you like a glove; just make sure to sit on one and ride it around for a while.

In my opinion, no I don't think the SV650 is too large of a bike to start out with. The SV650, for example, is not like a race replica where a small twist of the throttle will launch you like a rocket ship, but it's no slouch. If I grab the break I don't feel like I'll stop on a dime like the ZX6R. If I decide to make it go fast, I make it go fast. If I'm out for a pleasure cruise, it's fantastic. I feel because of the seating position of the SV650 (more upright), it's easier for a new rider as well. The first day I rode away from the dealership it wasn't *that* much different pulling out. Did I notice more power? Absolutely! Did I appreciate I had the extra horse power on the highway? Oh wow, yes. Passing on the highway on the GS500, for me, was almost dangerous at some points because of how dogged the thing was above 75mph. It really, really depends on how you are as a person.