Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Honestly if you just stick to Polygon's videos they're real good.

It bugs me sometimes that the people they get to record previews on some games just aren't very good at playing them, but that's just how I am, I get all backseat driver about it. Whenever I watch Let's Plays they have to be by people who are actually good at the games, and it's better when they're better at it or more knowledgeable than I am (for example, Chip Cheezum's LPs). Griffin's Pokemon Y Nuzlocke LP is something of an exception because he often gets owned really hard, but he's also intentionally making a very easy game much harder on himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

deadly_pudding posted:

Sorry, Mordja and others, it's kind of a thing now.
Internet's got the attention span of a gnat; I'll wait it out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

griffin justin and their adopted brother nick are good and funny. i don't know where travis went wrong but i suspect he was never right to begin with

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Speaking of the McElroy's, does anyone remember one of their earlier (read prior to ep 100) episodes of MBMBAM in which they were talking about Gonzo's nose being phalic? It was one of the funniest bits from their early days and I don't remember which ep it was in.

I miss the old MBMBAM, their newer stuff isn't as enjoyable to me.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

It bugs me sometimes that the people they get to record previews on some games just aren't very good at playing them, but that's just how I am, I get all backseat driver about it. Whenever I watch Let's Plays they have to be by people who are actually good at the games, and it's better when they're better at it or more knowledgeable than I am (for example, Chip Cheezum's LPs). Griffin's Pokemon Y Nuzlocke LP is something of an exception because he often gets owned really hard, but he's also intentionally making a very easy game much harder on himself.

I sorta get angry watching his nuzlocke run when he frets for ages over a situation that's really fine but it's a little silly to compare gameplay ability between a preview of a game and an LP.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Car Boys is good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I sorta get angry watching his nuzlocke run when he frets for ages over a situation that's really fine but it's a little silly to compare gameplay ability between a preview of a game and an LP.

Oh, I know, that was just an example. I have a hard time watching game preview videos in general just because it irks me when someone's bad at a game and I can't do anything about it, so I generally just don't.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

Oh, I know, that was just an example. I have a hard time watching game preview videos in general just because it irks me when someone's bad at a game and I can't do anything about it, so I generally just don't.

Ah right I misread that, sorry.

Backseat gaming's a weird impulsive thing for me sometimes, Mc Elroy's nuzlocke runs are lately the only weird time it's been coming up. Luckily I stop myself for being a gigantic rear end and dropping a comment explaining things.

One bad case of backseat gaming for me was when I first introduced Dark Souls to my BF and I seriously was obnoxious about it. Next time he tried I let him do his thing and just helped if he asked and he got hooked this time. Then gave up when he got to Lost Izalith.

Don't backseat game folks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Golden Goat posted:

Backseat gaming's a weird impulsive thing for me sometimes, Mc Elroy's nuzlocke runs are lately the only weird time it's been coming up. Luckily I stop myself for being a gigantic rear end and dropping a comment explaining things.

One bad case of backseat gaming for me was when I first introduced Dark Souls to my BF and I seriously was obnoxious about it. Next time he tried I let him do his thing and just helped if he asked and he got hooked this time. Then gave up when he got to Lost Izalith.

Realizing in my teens that I was way too much of the "Let me do it" guy has stuck with me and helps me be super respectful and patient when being in an office and helping people do things on their computers. When I encounter people at work who are way too quick to reach for someone else's mouse and go "can I drive?" I always wonder if they played videogames with other people as a kid.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mordja posted:

Yeah, it's kind of obnoxious.

He is kind of bad at latching onto successful gags and running them into the ground, I stopped following CoolGames Inc when he did like three episodes in a row that were just non-stop vore discussion without even trying to make jokes about it.

Big Gulp was funny as a one-off speciL. Griffin's Amiibo corner was great. Him entering a Super Mario Maker competition with a level built around him eating the contestants was hilarious. But you can only build that wacky stack so high before it comes tumbling down.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I have little trouble imagining the proprietor of that channel being into Shadman's art.

Nobody look this guy up, by the way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

I'm sorta lucky that my girlfriend is almost exclusively into games that I'm horrible at, largely puzzle games. I never even feel a vague desire to backseat game when she's playing.

We played Super Mario 3D World pseudo-co-op (only have one Wii U controller, so no actual multiplayer) and it worked out pretty well because she hated trying to hunt down stars and stamps, so she'd just always be the first one to do a level to completion, then I'd take over and try to get the tricky stars, then we'd switch back.

I'm pretty good at keeping my backseat gaming under control in real life, but when it comes to watching people play games on YouTube I figure, why even put myself in that situation? So I just seek out videos by people who are really good and probably better than I am at whatever they're playing (or doing a playthrough that I wouldn't attempt myself, like Griffin's Nuzlocke run or that time Super Bunnyhop did a no tranq, no kill European Extreme run of MGS3) and then I can just kick back and relax.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like hanging out with my sister because it's usually the opposite of backseat gaming. She prefers to watch me play while we talk about it- recently we finished The Last of Us and it made her cry twice! Next we're playing Firewatch and it's gonna happen again I bet!

edit: Although we do play co-op games together. Playing Portal 2 with her was fun but also made me very ill because they split the screen vertically instead of horizontally and it made me want to throw up every time we looked in different directions

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm excited for the game awards.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I'm excited for the game awards.

If not for anything but for the eventual highlight reels in YouTube.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope Weed3 this year brought in a new era of shitheel videogame presentation committees trying to write dialogue about weed and vaping in their presentations

Aisha Tyler: "And the final entry for game of the year is Arkane Studios' Dishonored 2! (pause for applauding) Yes, and look at those smoky shadow powers! Reminds me of something else that's smoky, am I right ahaha"

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Persona 5 delayed to April 4th, 2017.

To make up for it Atlus is saying the game will have dual audio now.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

This is great news for me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Skeezy posted:

Good, lets me continue putting off playing Persona 4 :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Skeezy posted:

But I don't want dual audio. I want P5 now, in English.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Mr E posted:

But I don't want dual audio. I want P5 now, in English.

They're doing English dual audio - one with the memes and the other with just a literal translation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Turns out they mean "both French and English" to account for the imminent annexing of the US by Canada.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My life for the maple empire

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

So, funny story: for like, days, every time someone talked about Tyranny, I was getting it confused with Agony. Aka Lighting engine, textures, and particle effects: the game.

I realized awhile back that Tyranny wasn't the game I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember the name Agony. Agony looks dope.

Oh man, I'd never heard of Agony before, but this seems like *exactly* the kind of Beksinski / Barlowe nightmare-Hell creative art poo poo that I've been begging for.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It looks loving awesome. Like, from whats been shown, I'm really unsure the the actual gameplay will be any good at all, but, like I said, it's loving lightning and textures and atmosphere: the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Speaking of unique art styles, I wonder if Drawn To Death is ever coming out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Planet Earth 2 is one of the greatest things these eyes have ever seen on television. The real world is so much cooler than almost everything we make up to distract us from it.

Snak posted:

It looks loving awesome. Like, from whats been shown, I'm really unsure the the actual gameplay will be any good at all, but, like I said, it's loving lightning and textures and atmosphere: the game.

Going off the description + the distressingly generic title I thought you guys were talking about Scorn at first, which is also an indie Beksinski-Giger hellscape with questionable gameplay but amazing environments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEE4yZgphFk

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hello friends. I'm going to put some time into Watch Dogs 2 today.

I'm also very excited for Pokémon Sun on Friday.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I saw Scorn on the same playlist of upcoming horror games as I first saw Agony, and it doesn't really grab me at all. Like, the designs seem neat, but the environments seem too empty and sterile. Agony's wet corridors of viscera and teeth and bone seem way cooler. Also, the gun in Scorn is kinda neat, but its not the type of atmosphere I'm interested in shooter elements mixing with.

But too early to tell.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I'm just waiting for eXistenZ to get released on a non-VR platform, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKkCMDaN54

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I generally don't play sports games, but I have gotten decent at fifa and madden at different points and they're both pretty fun actually.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sports games are pretty good but it seems like a lot of them focus on modes like FIFA ultimate team now because I guess there's a ton of money in that

also I like the mario versions of sports games better most of the time

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
NHL games are my jam. I also like sports management games. And in real life, fantasy sports (and poker, I guess) is the closest thing you get to video games without entering the realm of board games. I love me some socially acceptable fantasy sports games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sports games are graphical marvels, they really make good use of the freedom allotted by limiting the amount of things they have to load in.

http://puu.sh/skMqc/eea41ffd63.webm

Speaking of graphical marvels, the first pass of my outside frames are (is?) done. There's a nice light noise filter on the dark green background that makes it have a bit of texture, but you can't really tell in the webm. It's starting to kinda look like a real videogame now sorta! Next I'm gonna add menu buttons in the top right corner and an actual UI for navigating the buttons along the bottom, which will require completely overhauling how they're coded. I'm not looking forward to that!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, that looks really cool! Like a little green One Finger Death Punch but with skeletons and different combat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I generally don't play sports games, but I have gotten decent at fifa and madden at different points and they're both pretty fun actually.

I enjoy FIFA but madden always felt way too slow and simple for me. But above all the arcadey versions of sports are always more fun because they can extrapolate the essence of the sport to extreme degrees. Like Blitz will always be the best football game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

did someone say graphic novels

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

NHL games are my jam. I also like sports management games. And in real life, fantasy sports (and poker, I guess) is the closest thing you get to video games without entering the realm of board games. I love me some socially acceptable fantasy sports games.

Oh yeah the NHL are the only games Ive enjoyed cranking up to Maximum Simulation, theres a lot of fun puck handling stuff in those games if you max out the physics calcs and give yourself full range of motion. Easy to gently caress up as well but its pretty satisfying to get good at

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

Oh yeah the NHL are the only games Ive enjoyed cranking up to Maximum Simulation, theres a lot of fun puck handling stuff in those games if you max out the physics calcs and give yourself full range of motion. Easy to gently caress up as well but its pretty satisfying to get good at

I dunno what other sports games are like (I played NBA2Kx and some of the Madden games but don't remember anything about them) but the twin sticks setup that NHL switched to during the PS3 era just feels sooooo right with puck handling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey, that looks really cool! Like a little green One Finger Death Punch but with skeletons and different combat.

Thanks! Man, One Finger Death Punch is fun for such a simple concept.

• Locked thread