Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/InsideCityHall/status/1008864032277909506

Bunkeddeko seems pretty good? looked over his website and his stances seem decent.

also, when you're not mad.

establishment dems are pretty horrible especially when they get called out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/1009966672076304386

:thunk:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidNir/status/1009968462792478720

:lol:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
ew

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I seem to recall the Sanders people doing something similar. It's not a bad idea.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

I seem to recall the Sanders people doing something similar. It's not a bad idea.

It's an incredibly bad idea.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's an incredibly bad idea.

Why?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Flirty Fishing making a comeback! :dance:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Why is approaching people on false pretenses bad? Are you kidding?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is ironic, because he has the backing of a few sex worker organizations since he's decided to oppose FOSTA.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Why is approaching people on false pretenses bad? Are you kidding?

but it's not false pretenses, they say what they're doing when someone chats with them.

sorry for not respecting the sanctity of hookup apps I guess???

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

but it's not false pretenses, they say what they're doing when someone chats with them.

They're not using their own pictures, though, and there's an expectation in a hookup app that you're looking for a hookup. :shrug:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They're not using their own pictures, though, and there's an expectation in a hookup app that you're looking for a hookup. :shrug:

advertising is advertising is advertising, imo. I don't see a huge gulf between this and targeted facebook ads, for instance.

that said, it's probably not a great use of their time but who knows?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

the fact that they're forced to resort to such measures is more disgusting imo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

uncurable mlady posted:

If they were using their actual pictures (or a picture of the candidate) and the account was clearly identified from the outset as being for the purpose of canvassing for the campaign, then whatever. But misrepresenting themselves to initiate the conversation, then disclosing afterwards, is flat-out unethical -- and that's in addition to the fact that dating is something people tend to be emotionally invested in, and pretending to be an attractive person who matches with someone and begins talking to them just to immediately reveal that it's a ruse is awfully unkind.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Jun 22, 2018

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

how well disposed are you going to be towards a candidate after someone matches with you then says “jk this isn’t me and I’m not interested in you, but vote for Patel!”

beyond the ethics of hook up apps or whatever, it seems like it wouldn’t be very effective

nah
Mar 16, 2009

getting catfished into performing my civic duty to own the libs

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

every dating app needs a button that says "i don't want to see or be seen by straight people" bc straight people are really bad at dating apps

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uncurable mlady posted:

advertising is advertising is advertising, imo. I don't see a huge gulf between this and targeted facebook ads, for instance.

that said, it's probably not a great use of their time but who knows?

The bajillion ads I see on Twitter and Facebook for, say, Nixon and Teachout clearly identify themselves as such. Hell, even the happy-go-lucky, your pal [brand name] accounts are clearly marked as brand accounts.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I'd also like to point out that the pearl clutcher who tweeted that out works for an establishment media org which shall not be named.

it's not a great practice to do what that guy is doing but like I said earlier with a political machine like the N.Y. Democratic Party basically forcing you to be underhanded is a bigger problem IMO. not to mention these elected officials cause way more damage to us while in office than a fake tinder swipe that only costs you a few minutes of your time.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Matt Zerella posted:

Bunkeddeko seems pretty good? looked over his website and his stances seem decent.

The New York Times endorsed him.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The bajillion ads I see on Twitter and Facebook for, say, Nixon and Teachout clearly identify themselves as such. Hell, even the happy-go-lucky, your pal [brand name] accounts are clearly marked as brand accounts.

the hot new thing is volunteers looking at friends of friends who liked pages then directly messaging them about the candidate. sanders volunteers did it, called it facebanking.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
canvassing on tinder may or may not be ethical but is pretty funny, and frankly, that's better than we can hope for from the average new york politician

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

I'd also like to point out that the pearl clutcher who tweeted that out works for an establishment media org which shall not be named.

it's not a great practice to do what that guy is doing but like I said earlier with a political machine like the N.Y. Democratic Party basically forcing you to be underhanded is a bigger problem IMO. not to mention these elected officials cause way more damage to us while in office than a fake tinder swipe that only costs you a few minutes of your time.
otoh the guy comes across as a surface-level idiot whose campaign is being run like a multinational company trying to sell poo poo to ~millennials~

i mean, his policies look good but he doesn't

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

otoh, maloney is pretty loving establishment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xNM8P-J0KE

they both live in a wealth bubble, but patel seems to at least give a poo poo

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

also lol here he is @14s running after a jogging woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_9GYKCSlE

NY-12: out of touch dinosaur vs a fired-up goober

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've been saying this for a while, patel is an obvious bullshit artist. he's a marketer's idea of a millennial candidate

Matt Zerella posted:

lmao at a literal "i'm not mad, i'm actually laughing" moment from clarke

bunkeddeko is good, yeah. supposedly at a fundraiser, some Park Slope yuppies came up to him to sign a "No Labels" neolib pledge. he refused. i think he has the best chance of the three primary challengers between patel and AOC (i love her but she's going to be crushed)

kinda wish NKD endorsed him now

CaptainPsyko posted:

The New York Times endorsed him.
i agree with them on that. clarke has been invisible in her district until after the 2016 elections. she's never proposed a bill in her decade-plus stay in Congress. the entire reason she has a political career is because she inherited her city council seat from her mom. and she chose Mathieu Eugene to succeed her, and he's done fuckall for the district. unlike patel, bunkeddeko is legit

for once they're making the right call. their endorsement of Gareth Rhodes isn't, though

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Jun 22, 2018

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
If Rhodes isn't a good candidate who do you support in NY-19? My parents are set on Ryan or Delgado but I'm still up in the air.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LegionAreI posted:

If Rhodes isn't a good candidate who do you support in NY-19? My parents are set on Ryan or Delgado but I'm still up in the air.
none of them are overwhelming but Ryan seems the least bad. i can't trust anyone who worked for Cuomo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I just moved to Poughkeepsie but I’m still registered in 19 and I’m having a tough time deciding who to vote for because none of the candidates are inspiring in any way

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just moved to Poughkeepsie but I’m still registered in 19 and I’m having a tough time deciding who to vote for because none of the candidates are inspiring in any way
welcome to new york where the candidates all suck, besides the ones i said are good

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I just moved to Poughkeepsie

why

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

isn't Poughkeepsie filled with wannabe Brooklyn hipsters these days?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I bought a house

get that OUT of my face posted:

No, that’s Kingston.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

i grew up in Poughkeepsie and having to grow up there is honestly a fate worse than death

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBdTVmSVq14

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

majormonotone posted:

i grew up in Poughkeepsie and having to grow up there is honestly a fate worse than death

Well living here is fine. I grew up in New Paltz and people talked about Poughkeepsie like it was the drat boogeyman

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Family Photo posted:

also lol here he is @14s running after a jogging woman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE_9GYKCSlE

NY-12: out of touch dinosaur vs a fired-up goober

Oh, look, the Wonder Showzen puppet's all grown up!

Also, I've never been to Poughkeepsie, but I challenge you to find a more adorable-sounding city in the US. :3:

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Poughkeepsie isn't bad but yes, anyone outside of it thinks it's some sort of war zone and its adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Anybody know if anything came of this?

https://twitter.com/PablogtzT47/status/1009995713416257537