Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Goddamn they simply refuse to stop winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

AlphaKeny1 posted:

FREE PALENSTINE

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

this has been a great gdq.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

NinetySevenA posted:

this has been a great gdq.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Vermain posted:

that's a bold loving way to end the marathon but i'm glad as hell they did it

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Vermain posted:

If there's anything you can say about GDQ, it's that they're fearless about standing for the right.

Good on them; GDQ is one of the few things in this world that make me feel hope.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was gonna go to bed over an hour ago but I'm glad I stayed up for the end of the FFV run

Wow

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Vermain posted:

Same, makes me feel good to continue supporting these marathons.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

Vinciolo
Aug 27, 2010
SGDQ starting June 30th. Also I'm glad they ended the marathon that way as well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
MSF has been calling out Israel's poo poo for months/decades now. It's more surprising they haven't called out Israel sooner for being a lovely genocidal apartheid state. Good on them. GDQ is the loving best.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All right I'm starting the FFV vod right away.

From what I saw, this was a solid event, I really liked the lack of tech issues this time around. Again, lots of stuff to catch up to, so please post your "must view" lists when you can.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I wasn't here for a lot of it, but ty to all the goons involved for putting on a great gdq and I can't wait to catch up on everything I missed

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Mal-3 posted:

If there's anything you can say about GDQ, it's that they're fearless about standing for the right.

Until they get tired of COVID being real and decide to throw a basically-maskless live marathon in the middle of the biggest surge since Omicron, yeah. Stay tuned for the "I got long COVID from AGDQ 2024" tweets in a month or so.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I missed Mike's "let's gooooooo" tho

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TeaJay posted:

From what I saw, this was a solid event, I really liked the lack of tech issues this time around. Again, lots of stuff to catch up to, so please post your "must view" lists when you can.

I havent gotten to watch a ton (mostly the middle days) but:

Tunic
SM64 Drum%
All the Baldurs Gate 3
Tears of the Kingdom
FFV

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have said it before and will say it again. Everyone involved in making this event run so smoothly deserve all the kudos in the world.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

DAYTOOOOOONAAAAAAAAA

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Hunt11 posted:

I have said it before and will say it again. Everyone involved in making this event run so smoothly deserve all the kudos in the world.

Smooth is really the operative word for AGDQ2024. The checkpoint system and dual setups were exactly what they've needed for years, and I'm so happy for them that they've finally got it in place, that must be a huge relief.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

TeaJay posted:

Been a busy week for me but reading through the thread these were the recommendations I saw (though I'm certain I missed more recommendations)

Speedruns to check out:
Whiplash
Tunic
Typing of the Dead
30XX
Pikmin 4
Bloodstained
Super Mario 64 (On Drums)
Resident Evil runs

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Solid GDQ overall, props to the crew for reducing the downtime in between speedruns tremendously compared to previous years.

Vermain posted:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kestral posted:

Smooth is really the operative word for AGDQ2024. The checkpoint system and dual setups were exactly what they've needed for years, and I'm so happy for them that they've finally got it in place, that must be a huge relief.

Yeah, it allowed everything to go like clockwork and meant that when the antlion struck everything could still keep on going.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kestral posted:

Until they get tired of COVID being real and decide to throw a basically-maskless live marathon in the middle of the biggest surge since Omicron, yeah. Stay tuned for the "I got long COVID from AGDQ 2024" tweets in a month or so.

You're not wrong, masking again and hopefully opening up more remote runs again are definitely things I hope they can use the momentum from this event to aim towards.

Thinking of run recommendations: I greatly enjoyed Jet Set Radio Future, I didn't know much about it and it seemed quite stylish. Everyone's gonna say dog/drum% runs and rightly so, the Mario Sunshine redemption run was incredibly heartwarming, Metroid Dread race was good in spite of some tech issues, Bloodstained was good, Hades 2 players 1 controller was absolutely bonkers.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
fuckin' dope GDQ. Looking forward to the Summer!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

KKKLIP ART posted:

I havent gotten to watch a ton (mostly the middle days) but:

Tunic
SM64 Drum%
All the Baldurs Gate 3
Tears of the Kingdom
FFV

in addition to the above:
pikmin 4
the nanthology
gyromite
mario 64
whiplash
metroid dread
super mario lost levels

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 21, 2024

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

SGDQ lines up with my work’s Summer break, so I might try to snag a ticket and finally get out to one in person.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Best GDQ in years. Loved spike saying "gdq is back".

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Mal-3 posted:

Somewhere in Awful Block, I think. I ended up falling asleep after Sneak King but that was when chat said it happened. Even played Snake Eater too, apparently.

I found it, pretty epic after Snake Eater kicks in. Makes up for no MGS during the event.

https://twitch.tv/videos/2036053236?t=15105s

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
Honestly it's a testament to the event that I can't think of runs I wouldn't recommend out of anything I've seen. The absolute most I'd say were that a couple were kind of low energy for my preferences.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheMopeSquad posted:

I found it, pretty epic after Snake Eater kicks in. Makes up for no MGS during the event.

https://twitch.tv/videos/2036053236?t=15105s

this frankly deserves its own VOD on the youtube page imo

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
All-timer GDQ and an amazing finale. Gonna be riding the good vibes from it for days.

Also, throw in the doggy Gyromite, no hit RE2, and Bluey runs for recs. HOORAY

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

fort boyard is also worth your time if you weren't familiar with the show, it's a really fabulous "up at 3 AM and stumbled across this on youtube" vibe

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

woke kaczynski posted:

Honestly it's a testament to the event that I can't think of runs I wouldn't recommend out of anything I've seen. The absolute most I'd say were that a couple were kind of low energy for my preferences.

There's a couple Awful Block runs I wouldn't recommend not because they're particularly bad, but just because they ended up not being super interesting.

The stuff from the Awful Block I would recommend are:

Sneak King - if you haven't seen it before
The Last Ninja
Brilliant Bob
Fort Boyard - if you like to see runners go off the rails
Skull Island
Zadette - even if you saw it previously, Better Game % is magical
Virtual Hydlide - especially if you haven't seen it before; if you have the new route is very impressive compared to what was run at previous marathons

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

woke kaczynski posted:

Honestly it's a testament to the event that I can't think of runs I wouldn't recommend out of anything I've seen.

mario sunshine

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

majora's mask also dragged badly for me but that might just be due to overexposure at this point

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The couch and a few of us in the FF speedrunning discord were spitballin' ideas to get past antlion. None of us knew about the HP refill bug until it happened lmao

Watching that run live was more stressful than any speedrun I've done

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

The couch and a few of us in the FF speedrunning discord were spitballin' ideas to get past antlion. None of us knew about the HP refill bug until it happened lmao

god bless you and them, i could barely watch with how anxiety inducing the whole situation was

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

fort boyard is also worth your time if you weren't familiar with the show, it's a really fabulous "up at 3 AM and stumbled across this on youtube" vibe

I think this was actually my favourite run this event I was able to catch live. Featuring audience strats like "Does anyone know the answer to this riddle?"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Vermain posted:

god bless you and them, i could barely watch with how anxiety inducing the whole situation was

If I was Zic I would have broken down crying during that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jose Valasquez posted:

Massive props to everyone who worked together to move past that Antlion.