Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TVSOR is their best album by a large margin for me and that completely boggles my mind. Metal isn't just for the young dudes. The live recording approach they went with really shows how tight they are as a band. There's a feel you can't fake any other way than years of playing music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

DenverFentonAllen posted:

Meet 'n greets suck so loving hard

They seem so awkward, even in the pictures they basically exist to produce. I suppose they're a nice way to monetize what a lot of people want from a concert, though. A signed thing and a picture with the band to show off. Works for everyone involved.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

The live recording approach they went with really shows how tight they are as a band.

i did not know this

this is news to me

gonna shut my gaping face now as i type this

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Non Serviam posted:

I met him once and, after we talked about music, he talked to me about all the wood work he does. He builds really amazing stuff. Imagine Ron Swanson, but metal.
He's extremely nice.

Edit. As for assholes in person. Nergal. He's polite, but he thinks he's the poo poo.

Nergal's allowed to think he's the poo poo, he's the only person in metal who actually dresses like an adult (offstage of course)

Sakis from Rotting Christ is very nice but very awkward. He tried to hit on my friend at a festival by giving her a voucher for a comped meal.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

sakis is something else, he is everywhere

he is kind of a patron for the greek metal scene, no matter the sub-genre. he leads the most successful greek band and yet he is aware of every release, every live performance (even by cover bands in their neighborhood turfs) and of course he knows every recording studio owner in the loving country, every venue owner, every band, everything.

and he is real helpful no matter who you are or what you play. success is not wasted on some people

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

edrith posted:

Nergal's allowed to think he's the poo poo, he's the only person in metal who actually dresses like an adult (offstage of course)

i only ever saw him in his stupid goth bullshit clothes with corpsepaint on :P

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

-orly glen benton was not nice to you shieeet

TBH I never bought into that "metal musicians being nice" thingy. Ok some guys may want their special snowflake picture with their favorite artists so they can show it off - but saying someone sucks just cause he doesn't give a gently caress about you or even pretend to do so, is LAME.

What Glen Benton doesn't seem to realize is that Deicide has been dead in the water ever since the Hoffman brothers left, especially considering how their last tour crashed and burned hard. Glen does not have the clout anymore to get away with being a oval office to everybody like he did all the way from the Amon-days to present-day Deicide.

On the other side of the coin, which I know we've briefly discussed before, Eric Hoffman is loving nuts and his ranting-and-raving about wanting to beat the poo poo out of Glen and Steve on Facebook is absolutely hilarious. He also does nothing but say that Amon is going to tour the world, but he has been saying it for 3 years straight, and it keeps getting pushed back. I know for a fact that the reason they haven't toured yet is because they're asking for the same guarantees that Deicide gets, but he just doesn't seem to understand that Amon as a band has not been relevant in just shy of 25 years, and no promoters will take their offer, and Eric will just burn bridges with them yelling about taking legal action and what-not.

This is all while his brother, Brian, tells him to act like an adult and keeps making weird-and-dumb looking custom guitars since he left working at BC Rich.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

i only ever saw him in his stupid goth bullshit clothes with corpsepaint on :P

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Adam Levine Darski

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I actually like Nergal, and while he can most certainly be found huffing his own farts with great affinity, he was really nice and happy to see me the two times that I've met him.

Although the very first time I met and spoke with him was when Behemoth came back to the US to do their first tour after Nergal's cancer treatments, and as I got onto the tour bus I could hear Johnny Cash playing on his little boombox that he had. I commented that Johnny Cash was awesome, and he laid this bombshell on me: "Yes, Johnny is awesome. That's not him though... that's me."

That's right. Adam "Nergal" Darski was sitting alone on his tour bus listening to himself cover Johnny Cash on a small stereo.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
New Oozing Wound out today! It's good!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Revol posted:

Saw Meshuggah in Orlando on Monday. Great show, really great encore, but I am absolutely crushed that they didn't play New Millennium Cyanide Christ. That's two tours in a row I haven't seen them play my favorite song. Do I have the wrong expectations? I think of NMCC as one of the quintessential Meshuggah tracks.

Did they at least play Future Breed Machine?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isn't hitting Tampa and St. Pete like playing Minneapolis *and* St. Paul?

Yes. There is absolutely no reason for any music act to visit both cities on the same tour. Hell, the only time hitting Tampa Bay and Orlando at the same time makes sense is if you're the biggest pop star in the world. Metallica's 91 tour, I could see something of that size. Beyond that? It's an hour and a half drive, I'm not going to miss out on a band I'm into because they're playing in Orlando.

Spatulater bro! posted:

Did they at least play Future Breed Machine?

It was the final encore song, and yeah, it was epic. Before it was Demiurge. If they played NMCC after that, it would've been the most incredible encore I'd ever experienced. Overall, the setlist was fine; my only complain was no NMCC, and I would've really enjoyed Obzen as well.

Meet 'n greets suck so loving hard

My first concert was Metallica in 02, and because I was in the fan club, I got to meet them backstage. I met James first, and it was really awkward. But Lars was very cool and talkative.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Metal people are nice in general but they are also direct and honest, most find it hard to respond to flattery and are bored by smalltalk.They like to see you headbang and jump up and down and sing their lyrics.

"Metal people" are no different from "normal people." You have some that are nice, and some that are asses.

edrith posted:

Sakis from Rotting Christ is very nice but very awkward. He tried to hit on my friend at a festival by giving her a voucher for a comped meal.

The Nergal comment is, obviously, an exaggeration, but I get your point regarding how other people dress; however, "I don't dress like a sad clown" is hardly a very high bar.
Having said that, I'd prefer him to be "more metal" offstage, even to a ridiculous degree, if it meant that he'd cut down the ridiculous handlebar mustache and try to peddle his hipster barbershop bullshit.

Sakis is super nice to everyone.

A TURGID FATSO posted:

That's right. Adam "Nergal" Darski was sitting alone on his tour bus listening to himself cover Johnny Cash on a small stereo.
Nergal is the Kanye West of metal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4SYIfhzMmU

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 14, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Personally I think Nergal looking like a barista owns because I know some super serious metal dudes who get so incredibly salty about it and that poo poo is hilarious.

"The Metal brotherhood means everything to me because it accepts you for who you are and it's all about not judging peTHAT HIPSTER gently caress NERGAL WHY ARE HIS PANTS TIGHTER THAN MINE!"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Personally I think Nergal looking like a barista owns because I know some super serious metal dudes who get so incredibly salty about it and that poo poo is hilarious.

"The Metal brotherhood means everything to me because it accepts you for who you are and it's all about not judging peTHAT HIPSTER gently caress NERGAL WHY ARE HIS PANTS TIGHTER THAN MINE!"

I hate absolutely everyone who treats having a beard like it's a full-time job. I don't care if it's metal or not.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Hulk Krogan posted:

My favourite instance of this attitude was when Johan Hegg appeared on an Audrey Horne music video and the comments had some guys whining how he was disgracing his proud Viking spirit by appearing in such shallow, commercial stuff.

Meawhile, Metal Blade were selling Amon Amarth bobbleheads.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 14, 2016

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

I hate absolutely everyone who treats having a beard like it's a full-time job. I don't care if it's metal or not.

Not to rag on you but being a little overly concerned with your own facial hair seems a lot less weird than having really strong feelings about other people's. Like, at least it's your face.

Obviously we've all seen a dude with a dumb old-timey mustache and had a chuckle about it but I honestly don't understand how people get legitimately annoyed or angry at other people's aesthetic choices :shrug:

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 14, 2016

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

Not to rag on you but being a little overly concerned with your own facial hair seems a lot less weird than having really strong feelings about other people's. Like, at least it's your face.

Obviously we've all seen a dude with a dumb old-timey mustache and had a chuckle about it but I honestly don't understand how people get legitimately annoyed or angry at other people's aesthetic choices :shrug:

Oh, i get how I could be misunderstood.
I have a beard, I don't mind if people have beards, or are bald, or whatever they want to do with their life. It's the awkward Internet cargo cult of masculinity with beards and lumberjack-lookalikes.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I hear you - that stuff is pretty silly. I do know dudes who get legitimately worked up and post long facebook rants about metal musicians' sartorial choices though and that kinda thing just puzzles me.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
you'll pry my camo cargo shorts and xxxl tees from my cold dead hands

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Revol posted:

My first concert was Metallica in 02, and because I was in the fan club, I got to meet them backstage. I met James first, and it was really awkward. But Lars was very cool and talkative.

i was referring to the after-gig meet n greets at clubs n stuff, or the pre-gig ones that look like book signings full of kids. of course having a backstage pass is supremely cool and always will be :) anyway this sounds like a fond memory - good on ya

Non Serviam posted:

"Metal people" are no different from "normal people." You have some that are nice, and some that are asses.

i like to keep my fanboyism to myself and my peers, thank you. i wouldn't mind talking to any human being as long as there was something worthwhile to say

i'd rather buy them a beer if i see em running low, or pass that blunt if the venue allows it, or something like that.

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 14, 2016

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ignoring for a moment the fact I can't sing or play an instrument, I would be a horrible musician because if I ever made it big I would have way too much fun trolling the poo poo out of my "hardcore" fans. And then I wouldn't sell any albums and I'd be a homeless musician.

I don't know how some of those acts can stick with it for so long. They aren't just a band, they're a brand and they spend their entire career trying to appeal to their market.

Basically I wonder how many times Gene Simmons was backstage getting ready for a show and been like "loving gently caress this stupid loving decision we made."

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Gene Simmons has never regretted anything. It's part of being a sociopath

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

you'll pry my camo cargo shorts and xxxl tees from my cold dead hands

Please don't wardrobeshame

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

Oh, i get how I could be misunderstood.
I have a beard, I don't mind if people have beards, or are bald, or whatever they want to do with their life. It's the awkward Internet cargo cult of masculinity with beards and lumberjack-lookalikes.

lumbersexual is kinda gay now though, or so I heard? think it trickled down that path when they started inserting blooming flowers in their beards

another goon will have to confirm this though, i'm nearly done with today's shift at the dick sucking factory

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

Gene Simmons has never regretted anything. It's part of being a sociopath

Yeah I'm pretty sure Gene Simmons just sees cash when he looks in the mirror and feels pretty good about it.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

A TURGID FATSO posted:

What Glen Benton doesn't seem to realize is that Deicide has been dead in the water ever since the Hoffman brothers left, especially considering how their last tour crashed and burned hard. Glen does not have the clout anymore to get away with being a oval office to everybody like he did all the way from the Amon-days to present-day Deicide.

On the other side of the coin, which I know we've briefly discussed before, Eric Hoffman is loving nuts and his ranting-and-raving about wanting to beat the poo poo out of Glen and Steve on Facebook is absolutely hilarious. He also does nothing but say that Amon is going to tour the world, but he has been saying it for 3 years straight, and it keeps getting pushed back. I know for a fact that the reason they haven't toured yet is because they're asking for the same guarantees that Deicide gets, but he just doesn't seem to understand that Amon as a band has not been relevant in just shy of 25 years, and no promoters will take their offer, and Eric will just burn bridges with them yelling about taking legal action and what-not.

This is all while his brother, Brian, tells him to act like an adult and keeps making weird-and-dumb looking custom guitars since he left working at BC Rich.

this is some amusing info :) I haven't been following Deicides exploits for a while, mainly because of what you said.

Well, those guys always were loving crazy nervous wrecks and that is why I love them. I wouldn't be surprised if '2016 Glen Benton' gave 0 shits about Deicide or anything whatsoever. He shoots blues for laughs...he must should be a goon.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

These people are mythical

edrith posted:

have you guys just never seen any metal musicians? This is a baffling thing to say

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
listening to the new Oozing Wound now. yeah its good

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

nerve posted:

listening to the new Oozing Wound now. yeah its good

Pissed I'm going to miss the record release tonight because I'm still trapped at work due to SF attorneys

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Hot Diggity! posted:

Pissed I'm going to miss the record release tonight because I'm still trapped at work due to SF attorneys

i was at the bongripper show last month i believe they played new stuff then.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

A human heart posted:

These people are mythical

Artofmanliness

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Buddy offered to take me with him to Vektor and Black Fast in Baltimore. :getin:

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I won tickets to see Ghost next week. I'm excited! 😃

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

We Know Catheters posted:

I won tickets to see Ghost next week. I'm excited! 😃

Your tastes are bad and you should feel bad.

Have fun buddy! :yayclod:

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Kanye has made a handful of legit good albums tho

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Hot Diggity! posted:

I was trapped late due to LA attorneys. What firm do you work for?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I was trapped late due to LA attorneys. What firm do you work for?

K&E. You?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

I'm not the only metal lawyer in this thread? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

I'm not the only metal lawyer in this thread? :3:

Just a paralegal here but not enough metal in the legal industry!