Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

How the gently caress does yazan keep avoiding a well deserved death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He was a dick, but he was far from the character most deserving of death in the Titans and actively refused to participate in some of their most heinous poo poo. He helped take out Jamaican because he hated the way he treated some of the troops as well, if I recall. Yazan was an rear end in a top hat in that he took a perverse delight in fighting and killing other soldiers, but he had a code and stuck to it, so he wouldn't target civilians. Which is more than can be said for people like Jerid, Scirocco, Bask etc. At the same time, he wasn't a good enough person that his death would draw any negative emotion from the viewer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like in srwv when yazan can join the heroes and if you have him fight the final boss she literally goes 'why the gently caress are you here yazan'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Endorph posted:

I like in srwv when yazan can join the heroes and if you have him fight the final boss she literally goes 'why the gently caress are you here yazan'
What's his answer?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nessus posted:

What's his answer?
'Its a fight and im getting paid, sounds good to me'

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Yazan survives and rejoins the Federation but he's also hiding his identity (poorly) so he could presumably still get destroyed if it comes out. As is though, he has the support of Chairman Gopp as long as he remains useful to him.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What did he do that he has to hide his identity?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Being a member of the Titans.

Even the Titans Test Team, which afaik largely avoided the whole warcrimes stuff, still saw some of its members see trial. It's unclear how former Titans members were treated following the end of the Gryps War outside of a few individuals but it seems like even in general they weren't exactly welcomed back with open arms. The Byarlant Custom pilot in Unicorn is also ex-Titans and his background basically says that he got the posting at Torrington because that's where careers go to stagnate.

Monsha is also in that weird AoZ spin-off that features the Mars Zeon as one of the many ex-Titans that ended up on Mars.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I guess it depends on if him openly betraying one faction of the Titans to join the other counts as a crime or not.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I find it kind of weird that members of a legitimate branch of the government would have to hide their identity for fear of repercussions once that branch has been dissolved, even if it was dissolved for warcrimes and that some kind of amnesty wasn't offered. Especially when you take in to account that the Federation were willing to overlook the past of Zeon soldiers not once, but at least twice between a general amnesty for Zeon soldiers after the One Year War and giving jobs to the former Neo Zeon fleet in Char's Counterattack.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I find it kind of weird that members of a legitimate branch of the government would have to hide their identity for fear of repercussions once that branch has been dissolved, even if it was dissolved for warcrimes and that some kind of amnesty wasn't offered. Especially when you take in to account that the Federation were willing to overlook the past of Zeon soldiers not once, but at least twice between a general amnesty for Zeon soldiers after the One Year War and giving jobs to the former Neo Zeon fleet in Char's Counterattack.

Heretics are always punished more harshly than those who never believed in the first place.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Well with Zeon, the OYW got so ruinous that an amnesty would make sense to try and get a new start for everyone involved who's willing to give peace a chance. With the Titans, I imagine there's a fair few people looking for promotions by going after ex-Titan members. Others might be covering their own rear end or attempting to demonstrate their "virtue".

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

The Titans attempted a coup to overthrow the Federation government, and large portions immediately built on that by joining up with Neo Zeon.

I figure the people like Emma who defected before Dakar get things swept under the rug (like how AEUG members got folded back into the regular forces with no fuss, including the ex-Zeon pilots), while anyone who stuck around after has much more trouble.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
On a different note, I'm just working my way through the movie trilogy at the moment since I want to re-watch Zeta and maybe finish ZZ over the summer but it's been a few years since I watched the 0079 TV show and it's over a decade since I've seen the movies, so it seems like a good time to reacquaint myself with them and I'm wondering something: Amuro tinkers with the beam sabers during one of the earlier episodes of the TV show, and fixes a safety issue that had been preventing them from becoming beam javelins, after which he uses a beam saber as a beam javelin (the handle extends, and the blade reshapes in to a sphere with spikes) on a handful of occasions. Is that something every other beam saber in UC can do though? I think a GM uses one as a beam javelin in Unicorn, but I don't think they see much use outside of 0079 itself and I'm wondering if that feature was a casualty of cost-cutting, or just something most pilots didn't find a use for even if it was there.

Edit: I'm also left wondering how 0079 would have gone if Captain Paolo had survived, since he's obviously a more experienced officer than Bright with a better handle on commanding people, and does seem like a decent dude who didn't treat the civilians aboard like poo poo and actually seemed to care about his charges. Would he have been more susceptible to Char's machinations, since he'd have a more fixed attitude on what to do in various situations, or would he be able to realize what's happening when people are trying to manipulate the White Base in various ways etc.

tsob fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 30, 2020

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Argas posted:

Monsha is also in that weird AoZ spin-off that features the Mars Zeon as one of the many ex-Titans that ended up on Mars.

Kinda curious on what happened to Monsha's two buddies. They didn't seem that bad, just had the unfortunate luck of knowing Monsha and/or being involved in Stardust.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MechaX posted:

Kinda curious on what happened to Monsha's two buddies. They didn't seem that bad, just had the unfortunate luck of knowing Monsha and/or being involved in Stardust.

Dunno. Like a lot of AoZ stuff there's barely anything on it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Edit: I'm also left wondering how 0079 would have gone if Captain Paolo had survived, since he's obviously a more experienced officer than Bright with a better handle on commanding people, and does seem like a decent dude who didn't treat the civilians aboard like poo poo and actually seemed to care about his charges. Would he have been more susceptible to Char's machinations, since he'd have a more fixed attitude on what to do in various situations, or would he be able to realize what's happening when people are trying to manipulate the White Base in various ways etc.

He wouldn’t have put up with Amuro and Kai’s poo poo anywhere near as long as Bright did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Paolo would have probably offloaded the civilian passengers and holed up at Luna II until a fresh crew could be brought in. If Amuro and the other teens remained conscripted they would probably have been moved to secondary roles while more experienced EFSF pilots took control of the Project V suits.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Bright knows one neat trick to win all wars! Zeons hate him!

(Find the boy and put him in the robot)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, in my endless pursuit of more Gundam to feel something, anything, I got around to ZZ Frag and the More Information on the Universal Century shorts.

It's pretty interesting stuff, in a DVD special features way.

Frag's a bunch of CG shots of Mobile Suits fighting and being tested. The CG's a bit better than IGLOO, helped a lot by not zooming in, and the awkward camera angles are a benefit rather than a drawback, giving all the shots a more authentic feeling. It's random camera footage from the AEUG, not something staged.

Also, it ends with Roux and Judeau's Gundams holding onto each other and flying together, which is cute.

Meanwhile, the More Information shorts have a lot of odds and ends about the non-origins history of the One Year War, with things like the life of the Federation agent who first reported that Zeon had declared war, and the reveal that one of the Gundam test pilots saw Amuro's first fight and lived to tell about it.

(Apparently, unlike in the Origins, Ral fought at Loum, launching commando raids to seize Federation suits from the inside. It was considered crazy enough that nobody but Ral could have talked troops into participating.)

I'm pretty sure at least some of this stuff has been retconned, but hey. You get claims that if the Zakrello was mass produced, the Federation would be doomed, and that's plenty enough to justify a few minutes of your time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/gundambd/status/1278252805724098560?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/SpaceQueenEmily/status/1278429626734436353?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

au where char raises his out of wedlock children instead of just dumping them on Bright and the argama crew when

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Stairmaster posted:

au where char raises his out of wedlock children instead of just dumping them on Bright and the argama crew when

But how would we get the theory that Uso is Char's grandson?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

MonsieurChoc posted:

But how would we get the theory that Uso is Char's grandson?

Nanai just drops a baby off with Bright and leaves, like a stork.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Stairmaster posted:

Wait are Shinta and Qum his kids?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Maarak posted:

Nah. They were the kids of some dude who got set up to take the fall for Blex Forer's death.

I'm surprised no errata thing ever revealed they grew up to pilot a Super Unicorn Gundam to battle an evil clone of Quattro who forms the Nouveau-AEUG or something

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Considering past history it would be more likely Shinta would pilot the Unicorn Booster for the Super Unicorn and then die, and Qum would do nothing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

on ep 2 of zz its cool how yazan is just like whats up my fellow teeens and convinces them to do big crimes

Maarak posted:

shinta has his hair

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

on ep 2 of zz its cool how yazan is just like whats up my fellow teeens and convinces them to do big crimes

shinta has his hair

poo poo, I forgot about that. That's Yazan's poncho wearing chicken eating days right?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci-N7iQqdEw

"We aren't Build Divers."

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh god is Alus going to use a custom nu gundam is that going to be someones mid season upgrade

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh god is Alus going to use a custom nu gundam is that going to be someones mid season upgrade

It's an armor pack for the Alus Core Gundam. It's called the Fake Nu Gundam. I think the kit is already out

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Core Gundam really is the best Mega Man.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, I'm still surprised to be saying it, but I'm hype as hell for this to start back up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well there's been kind of a crap spoiler created with a new kit announcement for Build Divers: ReRise; A new 00 Sky design that pretty much means Riku's turning up at some point :sigh:.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well there's been kind of a crap spoiler created with a new kit announcement for Build Divers: ReRise; A new 00 Sky design that pretty much means Riku's turning up at some point :sigh:.

ReRise spoiler We know there's gonna be an extensive flashback, so I'm hoping/assuming that's where we'll see him. Like, at the height of Hiroto's guild's good ol days they even challenged the Build Divers themselves! Something like that is very possible, so I'm not too afraid of Riku Kramering into the current story at the end Banagher style.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

ReRise spoiler We know there's gonna be an extensive flashback, so I'm hoping/assuming that's where we'll see him. Like, at the height of Hiroto's guild's good ol days they even challenged the Build Divers themselves! Something like that is very possible, so I'm not too afraid of Riku Kramering into the current story at the end Banagher style.

The big failure fight for Hiroto with the Euraven they keep hinting at is almost certainly the final showdown against Avalon at the end of season 1.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/BowieFSSandIEM/status/1271370818489135104?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/timetogoaxis/status/1235699083815333888?s=20