Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Otherwise the movie looks decent? Probably not as good as the last two but will be better received because of the shiny "official Marvel product" sticker on the front of the box.

I'm not seeing anything I'm liking more than the last five other than the mere existence of Michael Keaton, but the trailer is so disjointed, forefronts Tony Stark way more than the movie is likely to, and Cop Car was good enough, that I'm still curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dacap posted:

That's because Batman Beyond IS Spider-Man.

Bahaha. I never even drew that parallel. Goddamn.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mordiceius posted:

Spiderman Homecoming looks better than Justice League.

After the last couple DC movies I have no desire at all to see WW or JL. Though I've only seen Civil War and Logan recently on the Marvel front so whatever. I'll go see GoTG 2 though.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I'm so emotionally invested in Marvel characters

I can't wait for the next appearances of Quipmaster Punchman and Punchmaster Quipman and Punchquip Masterman

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got Punchquipman makes a joke as he's killing people so I know it's alright.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

I always "LOL" ("Laugh Out Loud") whenever Punchmaster makes fun of Punchquip and then when Quipmaster comes to Punchquip's defence it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :3

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Something, something, Murderman, something about Ayn Rand, something in color

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not seeing anything I'm liking more than the last five other than the mere existence of Michael Keaton, but the trailer is so disjointed, forefronts Tony Stark way more than the movie is likely to, and Cop Car was good enough, that I'm still curious.

Yea I should've said last 5.

Also it's pretty obvious they are going to use Stark getting mad at Peter and taking away the suit (because he didn't save the boat good enough??) in Act 2 or whatever to be the excuse for why Iron Man isn't just sticking around solving all of the problems.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Tony Stark?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dacap posted:

That's because Batman Beyond IS Spider-Man. His villains are reflective of Spideys., he even met the Fantastic Four in one episode.

The evil version of Fantastic four, anyways.

Well, Reed is more dickish than evil, but still.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jonah Galtberg posted:

For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is Tony Stark?

If they made this movie it would be badass.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

McCloud posted:

Well, Reed is more dickish than evil, but still.

So the normal Reed Richards then? Though I would argue the normal Reed Richards is both dickish and evil.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

And brought Snyder on to direct it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Stark's Gulch.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Imagine four MCU movies on the edge of a cliff

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dacap posted:

That's because Batman Beyond IS Spider-Man. His villains are reflective of Spideys., he even met the Fantastic Four in one episode.

It's a drat shame Terry kind of got forgotten, he made for a pretty ok successor to Bruce.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

feedmyleg posted:

At the very least as a continuation of Tony's story I love where it's going. Tony's selfish nature proves again and again that he's not capable of being the hero he wants to be. So he's realized that in order to protect the world, he can't just build a better Iron Man. He has to build a better Tony Stark. So he finds a genius young kid with superpowers and tries to make him a good man. Fantastic.

And since Tony always fucks up everything he builds Spiderman should end up the villain of his own movie. Tony should be there as the devil on his shoulder, with I dunno, Thor as the angel.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the homecoming trailer crystallized for me how goddamn sick i am of tony stark

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brother Entropy posted:

the homecoming trailer crystallized for me how goddamn sick i am of tony stark

This, only how I will never get sick of Tony Stark.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Imagine four MCU movies on the edge of a cliff

:golfclap:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Gatts posted:

Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, whatever is a good roster.

Beetle, Booster, Guy, Fire, Ice, Atom, Elongated Man, Sue Dibney, is a better one.

J'Onn is a way more necessary part of the JLI crew than the regular League. You also can't leave out Guy Gardner or Black Widow.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

DeimosRising posted:

J'Onn is a way more necessary part of the JLI crew than the regular League. You also can't leave out Guy Gardner or Black Widow.

Guy Gardner should only have two scenes if he's included. Him getting knocked otu by Batman, and then him mooning batman in retaliation.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Drifter posted:

Guy Gardner should only have two scenes if he's included. Him getting knocked otu by Batman, and then him mooning batman in retaliation.

The opening to JL will be Kyle Rayner getting killed on his way back to earth by Steppenwolf and some of his goons (instead of Sinestro).

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
The Homecoming trailer made me unsure whether I was actually watching the trailer of the summary of the movie.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Like, Batman and the Flash is literally the same exact relationship as Iron Man and Spider-Man, except the cinematography is way better and the effort to create a weird, uncanny, alien, and marvelous setting is pushed to greater extremes then simply two red blurs flying over "anywhere New York," again.

This has been lingering in my mind all morning and I have a theory as to why (despite how actual numbers play out), general audiences have seen the DC movies as "failures" vs Marvel's "successes."

It's about the ability to connect to the characters.

The DC Snyderverse, thus far, has constantly tried to hammer home the idea "These people/beings are not like you. And you are not like them." They are foreign and alien. They may appear friendly at times, but they are not your friend.

The Marvelverse, despite how tiring the quip machine can be, is about trying to make these characters relatable to normal audiences.

Superman and Wonder Woman are born with their powers and are thus can feel completely unrelatable. It's no wonder that Batman is generally scene as the most popular DC character. Although he has his fortune, he is a normal dude. He has no super powers. People are able to think "I could be Batman." But they are unable to ever think "I could be Superman." or "I could be Wonder Woman."

Iron Man is able to capitalize off that Batman feeling. Aside from being rich, Tony Stark is a normal human being. No super powers. Characters like Thor fall into the trap of Superman/Wonder Woman. They're unattainable.

It's, personally, why I was always drawn to Spider-Man movies/cartoons as a kid over all the others. I feel like Spider-Man stories have, for the most part, be on one end of the extreme with majority of the characters being real and human. You're able to feel a connection to the characters because they are just like you.

Now, none of this matters if the movies are just really loving bad. A bad movie is a bad movie.

However, I think general audiences will be more drawn to an average or mediocre film where the characters are relatable (the Marvel style) to a more technically/stylistically proficient film where the characters feel alien (the DC style).

At least, that's my thoughts on the matter after stewing on the ideas this morning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Captain Jesus posted:

The Homecoming trailer made me unsure whether I was actually watching the trailer of the summary of the movie.

You were watching the AMC FirstLook for Spiderman Homecoming, Sundays on ABC.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Captain Jesus posted:

Uhhh...I mean not really? We don't know for sure if he wins at the end.

And it's my hope that they're just keeping the skinny-dippping scene with marissa tomei under wraps.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Superman is definitely my friend.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Iron Man 2

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What if Justice League has too many quips? Is there a certain ratio of quips:words spoken that can turn a good movie cruel?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

UmOk posted:

What if Justice League has too many quips? Is there a certain ratio of quips:words spoken that can turn a good movie cruel?

Then we're all hosed.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

UmOk posted:

Rest assured, any quips in Justice League will be clever genre parody, not low-brow pandering.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phylodox posted:

Rest assured, any quips in Justice League will be clever genre parody, not low-brow pandering.

No, any attempts will be poor attempts to ape Marvel by stupid muscle head Zak Murder.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

parallelodad posted:

No, any attempts will be poor attempts to ape Marvel by stupid muscle head Zak Murder.

You have the wrong forum hivemind.

CineD should be "Any lovely quips or writing are actually lovely on purpose and a subtle deconstruction of cinematic quip-dom. Besides, film is a visual medium, so it could be totally silent and dialogue doesn't matter."

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Let's be honest the quips won't be acknowledged at all because it won't fit into the "dour and grimdark" narrative.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

This has been lingering in my mind all morning and I have a theory as to why (despite how actual numbers play out), general audiences have seen the DC movies as "failures" vs Marvel's "successes."

It's about the ability to connect to the characters.

The DC Snyderverse, thus far, has constantly tried to hammer home the idea "These people/beings are not like you. And you are not like them." They are foreign and alien. They may appear friendly at times, but they are not your friend.

The Marvelverse, despite how tiring the quip machine can be, is about trying to make these characters relatable to normal audiences.

Superman and Wonder Woman are born with their powers and are thus can feel completely unrelatable. It's no wonder that Batman is generally scene as the most popular DC character. Although he has his fortune, he is a normal dude. He has no super powers. People are able to think "I could be Batman." But they are unable to ever think "I could be Superman." or "I could be Wonder Woman."

Iron Man is able to capitalize off that Batman feeling. Aside from being rich, Tony Stark is a normal human being. No super powers. Characters like Thor fall into the trap of Superman/Wonder Woman. They're unattainable.

It's, personally, why I was always drawn to Spider-Man movies/cartoons as a kid over all the others. I feel like Spider-Man stories have, for the most part, be on one end of the extreme with majority of the characters being real and human. You're able to feel a connection to the characters because they are just like you.

Now, none of this matters if the movies are just really loving bad. A bad movie is a bad movie.

However, I think general audiences will be more drawn to an average or mediocre film where the characters are relatable (the Marvel style) to a more technically/stylistically proficient film where the characters feel alien (the DC style).

At least, that's my thoughts on the matter after stewing on the ideas this morning.

People in the DC universe have some pretty real human problems. Be they fears of the unknown, uncertainty of self, frustrated at not being accepted, to name a few. But these things are considered dour and downbeat and, at least as far as critical reviewers are concerned, don't want that sort of thing in their comic book films. This is mainly because they're not just little character traits that occasionally get brought up, they tend to be the leading drive of the characters. Also, the difference between Marvel and DC is that flaws often aren't brushed aside or white-washed. These people make mistakes and people get killed or hurt. They're more human than, say, Captain America, whose films are loving afraid to consider he may not be right in a situation.

Ultimately, I think people can relate to Marvel's characters more because they're more power fantasies put to film. Superman and Batman have character flaws and do things that fly into the face of having such power. They don't exactly challenge the viewer and that's usually how audiences want it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Yeah, this whole "you want to connect with Tony Stark the friendly guy" is complete bullshit. He's a trust fund richie kid who made weapons that killed civilians for years before loving off to his magic tower and wearing a suit that makes him Superman (he won't share with anyone other than one military guy) that's powered by clean energy (that he won't share with anyone), it's absolutely about wish fufillment/power fantasy...something that Snyder craps all over.

Ultimately all this Marvel/DC stuff dances around that, up to this point, Snyder has made a point of tempering the power fantasy. Batman is a psychological mess, Superman feels bad, Wonder Woman is an exile. They're still amazing people but it's not continuous jokes and banter and everything working out ok.

Edit: whoah I left this post open for a bit and resaid exactly what Jimbot said. Sorry dude!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Batman is a psychological mess

Tony Stark isn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wouldn't want to be Superman's friend based on how Superman treats his Pal, Jimmy Olsen.

• Locked thread