Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Failboattootoot posted:

I think splitting it up into Garlemald 6.0 and End of Days 7.0 woulda been cool. My expectation would have been to hook up with some resistance group or somesuch and then liberate your way across the continent. But I was also relatively pleased with how things went down in EW. Garlemald was my favorite section by far and it was kinda just downhill from there. Though still very good don't get me wrong.

The main thing I'd concede is that I wish Garlemald got more time. Not because it didn't get enough time, but because the angle they landed on about the Garleans--learning that they genuinely have a historically-rooted societal distrust of others, and that there really isn't a lot of societal regret to what they did--was genuinely fascinating, and I just wanted to see more of it. You can tell that there was originally a whole expansion planned there, because I think if they planned from the get-go that Garlemald would be one zone, it would have a much simpler social dynamic, maybe a Eulmore-esque 'we're good people that didn't realize what we were doing to others' arc.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

readingatwork posted:

Counterpoint: A Garlemald expansion would have been a great way to explore his character a bit in a political setting before he teams up with Fandaniel.

Not really, unless they were going to radically change his character. We saw plenty in StB and ShB before Fandaniel shows up. His political style would have been pure tyranny backed by fear: You do what he wants, stay below his notice and don't gently caress up, or he kills you. That's it, that's his political character.

Failboattootoot posted:

My expectation would have been to hook up with some resistance group or somesuch and then liberate your way across the continent.

Ehh. They already did that twice in StB and again in ShB for Bozja. Writing a fourth story using that framework is certainly possible, but I'm much happier they decided to do something else.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Onean posted:

Ehh. They already did that twice in StB and again in ShB for Bozja. Writing a fourth story using that framework is certainly possible, but I'm much happier they decided to do something else.

also the sorrows of werlyt storyline in ShB. though i suppose the resistance there were bit players on the periphery of gaius' arc

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, that's true. It's also definitely more of a background detail than driving focus, yeah.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Nessus posted:

Magical Donald Trump

Please, he's Sin Eater Jesus and I'll hear no alternatives.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm sure we'll get more time and stories with the Garlean refugees and whatever... wherever... they're rebuilding. They may not get an immediate follow up but I don't think this game's writers will forget about them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

I'm sure we'll get more time and stories with the Garlean refugees and whatever... wherever... they're rebuilding. They may not get an immediate follow up but I don't think this game's writers will forget about them.

The capstome quest says they'll be going to the moon.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's right. That does mesh with my guess that the deep dungeon will be on the moon...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah, that's right. That does mesh with my guess that the deep dungeon will be on the moon...

... poo poo that would make so much sense.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

readingatwork posted:

It probably wouldn't be a direct confrontation like that because then you wouldn't be able to explore the various locations within Garlemald. Instead it would probably be a diplomatic mission of some kind where the empire invites you in as an emissary to negotiate a truce but then navigates in the shadows to kill you via game of thrones poo poo.

That is more or less what you got in endwalker.

Anyway, given that Varis tells you directly that his intention is to cause ALL the calamities, there isn’t really much point in negotiation until he goes, and when he did go, Garlemald immediately fell apart as designed.

ImpAtom posted:

Some stayed in Garlemald, some went to the Moon and some went to Sharlyan, if you look around Sharlyan you can find some Garleans commenting that it isn’t as bad as they thought, but it could use some Magitek.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

FuturePastNow posted:

One of my guesses is that to keep up with the FF4 references, the deep dungeon would be on the moon and have a Lunar Subterrane vibe to it. I'm now leaning toward the deep dungeon being in one of the places Emet mentioned though.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

... poo poo that would make so much sense.

You've got the bottomless pit full of angry purple hell aether where Zodiark used to be, and the buns have their Smileton machine digging deeper and deeper. Mutated moon wildlife. The souls of some Ancients who just can't let go and move on. It's got everything a housing district for refugees needs!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

iPodschun posted:

I'm now leaning toward the deep dungeon being in one of the places Emet mentioned though.

I was thinking the moon originally but I like this better.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I was thinking either the Criterion dungeons, whatever those turn out to be, or the new deep dungeon could take place the Thirteenth/Void.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Gimme the DD on the moon but only if some of the mobs are giant Fandaniel ghosts.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It would have been cool to see the electric life of Garlemald. They had cars, radios, streetlights while the rest of the continent is in the middle ages.

No complaints about the story we got, but it would have been so different.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

FuturePastNow posted:

You've got the bottomless pit full of angry purple hell aether where Zodiark used to be, and the buns have their Smileton machine digging deeper and deeper. Mutated moon wildlife. The souls of some Ancients who just can't let go and move on. It's got everything a housing district for refugees needs!

It'd be pretty hilarious if that is indeed the justification for going down there- we're clearing the place of dangerous Moon Hazards, room by room, so that the residential expansions can proceed one procgen floor at a time.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

imo Garlemald is funnier to imagine with automobiles and magna roader than it is to actually have to depict that

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Alxprit posted:

Please, he's Sin Eater Jesus and I'll hear no alternatives.

Created as a savior by the beliefs/sacrifices of his family and city, tempered subjects by infusing them with light aether, they were taught how to do it by an Ascian, I'm still of the opinion that his relation to a Primal was more than just parallel themes.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'd mostly agree, except that the people in Eulmore weren't actually tempered. They wouldn't have just snapped out of it if they were, we'd have had to kill (or sequester) them as de-tempering hadn't been figured out yet.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onean posted:

I'd mostly agree, except that the people in Eulmore weren't actually tempered. They wouldn't have just snapped out of it if they were, we'd have had to kill (or sequester) them as de-tempering hadn't been figured out yet.

It's directly related to his ability to control Sin Eaters, hence Meol being Sin Eaters. They're eating Sin Eater flesh and that lets Vauthry control them because they're "part" Sin-Eater. But his control has a limited range, so once he flies away to Gulg he no longer exerts his will on the populace.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yes. That's still not tempering, though.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
One of the background NPCs in Radz-at-Han (Shirazade, at 10.0,14.2) talks about how an important family in the city is planning to open up their treasure vault to "challengers" soon, while standing in front of a rather visually-impressive door. That's 100% gotta be either the deep dungeon or the Criterion dungeons.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Ohhhh, yeah. That makes sense.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
those are the treasure map dungeons, the canals. we've been going there for years and the gag is that we are finally seeing where it is in the world

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Could be. I had initially interpreted that as a reference to the treasure map dungeons. Same door, for one thing.

E: yeah, those challengers are gonna be real disappointed at the remaining pickings lol

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

They're probably going to add the 90 spin-the-wheel treasure dungeon at some point

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Farg posted:

those are the treasure map dungeons, the canals. we've been going there for years and the gag is that we are finally seeing where it is in the world

Zomborgon posted:

Could be. I had initially interpreted that as a reference to the treasure map dungeons. Same door, for one thing.

Ohh, gotcha. I've only done like one treasure map dungeon so the reference flew right over my head. :doh:

In that case I'll throw in another vote for the deep dungeon probably being on the moon. Urianger takes a bunch of notes on dungeon design for the Loporrits if you go through Alzadaal's Legacy with him in your trust party, IIRC, and Smileton shows that the moon is an easy fit for the two main deep dungeon criterion i.e. being a place that is 1) a shifting labyrinth and 2) goes really, really deep.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You could just throw a Deep Dungeon into the hole Zodiark was in.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Farg posted:

afaik, treasure map canals are canals filled with some thief's loot, not some noble family's vaults

and current treasure maps are taking place on the moon

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Dwesa posted:

afaik, treasure map canals are canals filled with some thief's loot, not some noble family's vaults

and current treasure maps are taking place on the moon

incorrect. fool.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
nobles are thieves anyways.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You could just throw a Deep Dungeon into the hole Zodiark was in.

Yeah, that could be plausible.

"Hydaelyn filled this hole with vicious moon critters to help keep Zodiark weakened. Basically extra insurance on top of the seals."

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Cleretic posted:

The main thing I'd concede is that I wish Garlemald got more time. Not because it didn't get enough time, but because the angle they landed on about the Garleans--learning that they genuinely have a historically-rooted societal distrust of others, and that there really isn't a lot of societal regret to what they did--was genuinely fascinating, and I just wanted to see more of it.

That's the neat thing, there's good odds we are, because you can bet your rear end not every Garlean military unit has come in from the cold. Particularly the Fourth.

(:allears: Just imagine a Soken remix of the Red Wings theme. :allears:)

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Gearhead posted:

That's the neat thing, there's good odds we are, because you can bet your rear end not every Garlean military unit has come in from the cold. Particularly the Fourth.

(:allears: Just imagine a Soken remix of the Red Wings theme. :allears:)

The Fourth Imperial Legion isn’t going to. It collapsed after the death of it’s leader and the bulk of it’s soldiers ended up as Dalmasca citizens.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

mikemil828 posted:

The Fourth Imperial Legion isn’t going to. It collapsed after the death of it’s leader and the bulk of it’s soldiers ended up as Dalmasca citizens.

They might not call themselves the Fourth Legion. In fact, we might be seeing a lot of little mechanized armies that don't call themselves the Whateverth Legion. But there's going to be a lot of jostling in Ilsabard as borders get settled and who's in charge straightens out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I uh... yeah, I'd love an expansion or patch exploring a Garlean Restoration, but my bigger comment was literally the world map of the game.

The entire continent of Ilsabard is just "here there be dragons whales" fog. It doesn't really make sense to me because Garlemald is still 'young' in the grand scheme of things, so presumably map makers should know the geography of Ilsabard? Even if they couldn't go in and remap things due to Garlemald going "state secrets, gently caress off barbarians." I really just wanna know what the map looks like.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Much as 6.1 was about the Void, I really do hope we go into Ilsabard and northern / western Othard, the New World, or Meracydia in the next expansion, rather than going to a Reflection straight away.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

As long as we bridge the gap to the First so we can get Ryne (and Gaia, if she likes) along for the journey, I don't care where we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I uh... yeah, I'd love an expansion or patch exploring a Garlean Restoration, but my bigger comment was literally the world map of the game.

The entire continent of Ilsabard is just "here there be dragons whales" fog. It doesn't really make sense to me because Garlemald is still 'young' in the grand scheme of things, so presumably map makers should know the geography of Ilsabard? Even if they couldn't go in and remap things due to Garlemald going "state secrets, gently caress off barbarians." I really just wanna know what the map looks like.

It’s presumedly more because the developers haven’t fully mapped out ilsabard and until now haven’t really had to. It’s a pretty safe bet that they have figured out a broad world map by now and we’ll likely see more detail within the next expansion or so.