Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Because you literally fight her on the stage of a theatre. It's a great metaphor for the role she's playing and our role in defeating her. She casts herself purposefully as the villain so the curtain can fall. "Flower waiting to be plucked, each petal a promise torn, shorn one by one and cast to the winds, I gave unto them my all. No more."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah I'm not thinking either-or, I'm thinking it was a wasted opportunity to not have Yotsuyu laughing at and/or screaming at you throughout Doma Castle. Let the actress eat some scenery!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Tsukiyomi was objectively one of the best trials in every aspect, discuss.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Ibblebibble posted:

great main fight, hype intermission, awesome theme. yeah that checks out.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ibblebibble posted:

Tsukuyomi's fight invented new aspects to be good at, which is impressive even if I think the story shouldn't have gone there anyway. What other fights in this game even have 'emotional storytelling during the fight' as an aspect to critique in the first place? It's like, Tsukuyomi, Warrior of Light, Endsinger, maybe Emerald Weapon.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

Tsukuyomi's fight invented new aspects to be good at, which is impressive even if I think the story shouldn't have gone there anyway. What other fights in this game even have 'emotional storytelling during the fight' as an aspect to critique in the first place? It's like, Tsukuyomi, Warrior of Light, Endsinger, maybe Emerald Weapon.

Hades (Extreme more so), Gaia, Dragonsong Reprise Ultimate.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Does the last few seconds of Thordan count?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Final Coil Bahamut interlude.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
DSR I can't speak to, but Eden's Promise absolutely, and I'd probably also add Eden Shiva. Hades... I don't think I would count, but as we've learned before I have a weird condition where I don't remember that fight even ten seconds after running it.

Final Coil I only ever unsynced, so I can't speak to it, and if Thordan's freakout ever counted it probably doesn't anymore now that we barely let him take a breath in that part.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

DSR I can't speak to, but Eden's Promise absolutely, and I'd probably also add Eden Shiva. Hades... I don't think I would count, but as we've learned before I have a weird condition where I don't remember that fight even ten seconds after running it.

Final Coil I only ever unsynced, so I can't speak to it, and if Thordan's freakout ever counted it probably doesn't anymore now that we barely let him take a breath in that part.

Hades middle segment involves him calling upon all the dead Ancients he lost to stand against you. In Extreme it's every Ascian you've ever fought. It's not quite the same thing as Tsukuyomi but it absolutely is an emotional interlude as a fight mechanic.

Also it's because you don't like Hades.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

They should have removed the intermission in the Extreme.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WrightOfWay posted:

They should have removed the intermission in the Extreme.

I think this about every Extreme fight. Especially Byakko, where I had to see that loving tornado 99+ times as I grinded out every single totem. :argh:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Ibblebibble posted:

The Stormblood trials slapped and taken on the whole are the best set of trials in the game, and Tsukiyomi is part of that so checks out.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

If you don't post REJOICE in party chat every time, you're missing out.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I have a powerful need for a choose-your-Scion dance party now. lmao at Estinien just forcefully taking the lead because of course he would.

Vitamean posted:

Was Nanamo a walkback, though? Somnus pops up on occasion if you know where to look (I think it also features in the Ul"dah starting MSQ?), so it wasn't really a reach.

The resolution is still in my top 5 funniest moments in the game, though. getting dragged out of the expansion only a few hours in for Dewlala to meet you in the waking sands and go "we fixed it lol" is amazing.

The moment in the story I felt like I was explicitly holding an idiot ball was when you're told to meet a member of the Braves near the rail station outside Ul'dah. Your contact isn't there, but there is an empty vial on the ground that you pocket and, instead of doing ANY follow-up like say asking the alchemist guild to check the residue to see what it had in it, you go right to the party and get caught with the damning evidence. And it wasn't a case of there being no reason to suspect it either; you know there's a conspiracy going on and someone who asked for a clandestine meeting wasn't there at the appointed time. Extremely suspicious! Then you find an empty vial? Forget red flags, this is a whole magazine of red flares.

Nessus posted:

I think this one is an unfortunate artifact of the catchup mechanism since it would have at least been months before you got to that point between 2.55 and Heavensward coming out. Even if you were still gunning MSQ in HW.

I think a lot of the narrative bumps and lumps involve this, although like I was kind of vaguely alluding to, I wouldn't be surprised if they made an executive decision to turn the story outwards into new realms of adventure and pretty far-off locations for each expansion. They could have logically just gone Coerthas (and 'old world stuff',) Ala Mhigo and maybe a bit of Thavnair or something (+ more old world stuff), Doma and the Steppe (+ more old world stuff), Garlemald (+ more old world stuff) etc.

I'm not even sure the story would have been a great deal different, it would have just been slower. If it looked more like Bozja though I'm kind of glad they didn't :v:

What I really came to post is related to this: Do you think we'll ever get an updated map where Ilsabard won't be entirely covered in "here there be dragons Garleans" fog? Our trip to Garlemald was kinda embarrassingly short in Endwalker, and all we really saw was the outskirts of the capitol. What about the rest of it? The capitol had modern streets, cars, trains, highways... was the same true in the rest of the empire? I'd very much like a "Garlean Restoration" arc where we get to see the rest of the country and help them rebuild as a republic once again.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

At least we didn't try to taste the vial

Residue alone might have made us miss the party

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Warmachine posted:

What I really came to post is related to this: Do you think we'll ever get an updated map where Ilsabard won't be entirely covered in "here there be dragons Garleans" fog? Our trip to Garlemald was kinda embarrassingly short in Endwalker, and all we really saw was the outskirts of the capitol. What about the rest of it? The capitol had modern streets, cars, trains, highways... was the same true in the rest of the empire? I'd very much like a "Garlean Restoration" arc where we get to see the rest of the country and help them rebuild as a republic once again.

We have a couple of things floating around here currently as possible directions the story might go in the next expansion:

We might go to Meracydia and help untangle that, perhaps uproot any Voidsent that decided to take Xande up on his offer of taking the bodies of any dragons or other Meracydians they killed in the process of the invasion. Perhaps dip our toes deeper into the Thirteenth. I don't see us diving into the World of Darkness fully QUITE yet. That feels like something that needs more prep time and a whole expansion all its own like Shadowbringers.

We might start to help fix the problems the Final Days caused in Ilsabard. We know that Thavnair was not actually the epicenter of the initial flare of Hopelessness, it was Corvus, and that area may actually need some direct help to drive back the problems that caused. We can presume nowhere that was previously under Garlean rule is doing particularly well, and it probably only gets worse the closer you get to the borders of what was once Ivalice. I'm still holding out for a sudden resurgence of Lucavi cultists, because they're just so PUNCHABLE.

EDIT: I kinda feel like it's going to be Ilsabard and then Meracydia. Or they could split our work again, and do both at once, with a World of Darkness expansion AFTER that.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 22, 2022

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

The devs have mentioned that they had an early idea to have Endwalker's story cover two expansions before settling on the current one, and while I agree with the decision I can't help but feel like Ilsabard got the short end of the stick in the process. In the deepest fathoms of my mind I imagine a 6.0 focusing on a campaign against the Telophoroi leading into a 7.0 that dealt the greater cosmic stuff.

I'm sure we'll see more of the region eventually, but I suspect it'll be limited to dungeons and foray-type areas rather than bespoke overworld zones.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Vitamean posted:

The devs have mentioned that they had an early idea to have Endwalker's story cover two expansions before settling on the current one, and while I agree with the decision I can't help but feel like Ilsabard got the short end of the stick in the process. In the deepest fathoms of my mind I imagine a 6.0 focusing on a campaign against the Telophoroi leading into a 7.0 that dealt the greater cosmic stuff.

I'm sure we'll see more of the region eventually, but I suspect it'll be limited to dungeons and foray-type areas rather than bespoke overworld zones.

Endwalker was certainly a ride. But I kinda feel like whatever the next expansion is, it's not going to be as intense as Endwalker was. We gotta come down from that madness and do some more world building. I suppose it depends on what kind of story the devs want to tell, though. Meracydia and Ilsabard stories would be pretty different from each other and the former would definitely be a 'fling yourself into the unknown' story that kinda feels like what Hades would've wanted.

We don't do politics and police action. We go on very enthusiastic walks.

I guess a perfectly valid case could be made for either, really!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vitamean posted:

It was mentioned in an interview that the final biss if Theoretical Cancelled 6.0 was Anima, so chances are we never saw an intact Garlean Empire even in that plan.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I think an intact Garlean empire would have been very difficult to represent satisfactorily. Even in our little cut aways to episodes in the capital it always seemed kind of small and petty for a world spanning empire. Better to leave it as something of our imaginations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
A small, thematically dense Garlemald like we got would be far more effective than dragging it out over an entire expansion.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Jetrauben posted:

I think an intact Garlean empire would have been very difficult to represent satisfactorily. Even in our little cut aways to episodes in the capital it always seemed kind of small and petty for a world spanning empire. Better to leave it as something of our imaginations.

I think that there's more of a story in trying to help pick up the pieces of the Empire, certainly a more relevant story to the tale of someone who wanders the world looking for trouble. There's so many loose ends scattered around right now that I can't really say which ones will get picked up first.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The expansion where we fight an intact garlemald was Stormblood

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Cleretic posted:

It was mentioned in an interview that the final biss if Theoretical Cancelled 6.0 was Anima, so chances are we never saw an intact Garlean Empire even in that plan.

This sounds highly reasonable. An expansion a bit like Stormblood, a rolling tide of freedom travelling up Ilsabard starting in Corvus/Thavnair would easily make for an expansion focused on the themes that we touch upon in the current EW Garlemald without necessarily being the same thing multiple times. Freeing people from the Telopheroi's schemes, exploring more of the cultures of Aldenard and Ilsabard, culminating in a final challenge against the embodiment of Garlemald's endless hunger and reach for more.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Alsso, another downside to a theoretical split Endwalker.

Can you imagine having to wait FOUR expansions before Zenos had any character development?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

The expansion where we fight an intact garlemald was 1.0 through Stormblood
Like it would have been cool to see more of 'living' Garlemald in some ways but I think we got the general vibe pretty solidly.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

Alsso, another downside to a theoretical split Endwalker.

Can you imagine having to wait FOUR expansions before Zenos had any character development?

Counterpoint: A Garlemald expansion would have been a great way to explore his character a bit in a political setting before he teams up with Fandaniel.

cheetah7071 posted:

Nope! We confronted one of it's armies and some key players abroad but we never dealt with the heart of the empire or the many internal politics that had been set up until that point as we did with something like Ishgard in Heavensward.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

but have you considered that we could have seen how good garlemald was firsthand and joined them or at least gently befriended them after showing them the ways they were misguided and revealing the populares as the real villains
many people were wanting this for an expansion, it makes no sense for square to pass up the opportunity

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think leading an army across the Imperial Core of Garlemald would be a particularly interesting Final Fantasy XIV expansion.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

I don't think leading an army across the Imperial Core of Garlemald would be a particularly interesting Final Fantasy XIV expansion.

It probably wouldn't be a direct confrontation like that because then you wouldn't be able to explore the various locations within Garlemald. Instead it would probably be a diplomatic mission of some kind where the empire invites you in as an emissary to negotiate a truce but then navigates in the shadows to kill you via game of thrones poo poo.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I feel like any journey into the heart of Garlemald post-Zenos taking over was going to have to be a grim affair, and the condensed approach worked better for that. The Garlemald MSQ sequence is basically one tragedy after another in rapid succession as the protagonists find themselves repeatedly and lethally unable to overcome imperial ideology and for me it totally worked, and I think spacing out that approach over a full expansion would have likely naturally meant a softer touch on the horror of it all. I don't see a full Garlemald expansion hitting any lower lows emotionally than what we got, which probably means adding a lot more of stuff like Jullus being sad about the park or Quintus waxing rhapsodic about the pax garleana, which is imo interesting exactly once.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Thematically speaking it is also extremely choice that the huge enormous scary and almost-unstoppable fascist military machine that kind of has a point if u think about it, is fake bullshit that falls over like a cantelope someone forgot on the porch for a week due to the contradictions of their own interior stuff (which are, of course, ultimately the actions of sad wizard Hitler, but nevertheless)

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Nessus posted:

Thematically speaking it is also extremely choice that the huge enormous scary and almost-unstoppable fascist military machine that kind of has a point if u think about it, is fake bullshit that falls over like a cantelope someone forgot on the porch for a week due to the contradictions of their own interior stuff (which are, of course, ultimately the actions of sad wizard Hitler, but nevertheless)

This. For me this is stronger than just bash the fash, as cathartic as bash the fash is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

In that case I'd assume Zodiark would be 6.3 (slow down everyone reaching the moon), and 6.4-5 would lead into the Calamity hitting.

I think the version we got is better, but can you imagine the speculating people would be doing?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bruceski posted:

In that case I'd assume Zodiark would be 6.3 (slow down everyone reaching the moon), and 6.4-5 would lead into the Calamity hitting.

I think the version we got is better, but can you imagine the speculating people would be doing?

Honestly, this sort of thing is why I find Endwalker more interesting than any story I'd consider 'perfect', because it has a bunch of little cracks, imperfections and signs of previous plans, it's just filled to the brim with potential 'what if' questions about how you could do things differently. And sure, a lot of those ideas probably suck (just because I can envision a version of Endwalker that doesn't make you travel with Sad Hitler In His Art School Days, doesn't make that version better), but it doesn't stop them being fun to ask.

I would be talking a lot less about a better story.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

readingatwork posted:

It probably wouldn't be a direct confrontation like that because then you wouldn't be able to explore the various locations within Garlemald. Instead it would probably be a diplomatic mission of some kind where the empire invites you in as an emissary to negotiate a truce but then navigates in the shadows to kill you via game of thrones poo poo.

I was kind of expecting this to be where the game was going back in post-Stormblood when Alphinaud said he'd be going as an emissary to Garlemald. Consequently, I had a moment of confusion when everybody continued on with the conversation based on the idea that he'd be going on this diplomatic mission into enemy territory alone without his good buddy/minder the WoL to pull him out of trouble and be the muscle for him.

Nessus posted:

:hai:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What I particularly like is that if you look at it, at the exact point when Varis has his moment of rhetorical triumph over the shitbarbarians and reveals his master plot, his actual - what was it, father or grandfather or uncle? - anyway, Emet is actively trying to arrange for the birth of Magical Donald Trump in order to set up and bring down the last big free city on Norvrandt. Vauthry was literally more important to Emet than Varis!

And of course, we also understand exactly what a loving moron Varis was as Garlemald falls apart throughout Shadowbringers. I was honestly surprised we didn't get some lieutenant-grade ascian trying to pull the plan on us and letting us have the moment where we know it, we know it all, there are no secrets from us, but I suppose that's not a very "heroic" sort of scene to write.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Nessus posted:

What I particularly like is that if you look at it, at the exact point when Varis has his moment of rhetorical triumph over the shitbarbarians and reveals his master plot, his actual - what was it, father or grandfather or uncle? - anyway, Emet is actively trying to arrange for the birth of Magical Donald Trump in order to set up and bring down the last big free city on Norvrandt. Vauthry was literally more important to Emet than Varis!

And of course, we also understand exactly what a loving moron Varis was as Garlemald falls apart throughout Shadowbringers. I was honestly surprised we didn't get some lieutenant-grade ascian trying to pull the plan on us and letting us have the moment where we know it, we know it all, there are no secrets from us, but I suppose that's not a very "heroic" sort of scene to write.

Grandfather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I think splitting it up into Garlemald 6.0 and End of Days 7.0 woulda been cool. My expectation would have been to hook up with some resistance group or somesuch and then liberate your way across the continent. But I was also relatively pleased with how things went down in EW. Garlemald was my favorite section by far and it was kinda just downhill from there. Though still very good don't get me wrong.