Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

WASH👏YOUR👏HANDS👏

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
lmao

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
the wests collective understanding of disease transmission being off by up to 100 million. there is really no difference between this and saying you get sick from divine punishment. great job bozos

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Yet another suprising scary result of those ~lockdowns~

https://nypost.com/2024/04/28/us-news/blame-the-pandemic-for-pro-palestine-demonstrations/

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

is it about how a lot of these folks cut their teeth in the George Floyd Uprisings or what? because that would be very saying the quiet part out loud

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Psycho Society posted:

the wests collective understanding of disease transmission being off by up to 100 million. there is really no difference between this and saying you get sick from divine punishment. great job bozos

The Science Moved On, And It Is Absolutely Not My Fault For Believing A Hypothesis That The Barest Brush Of Science Would Have Shown To Be Manifestly False

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Another relic of the pandemic has become a common sight at protests and college encampments: masks.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/DecorumManager/status/1784212065088843786

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

If we're soliciting medical advice from the thread, the chest pain from getting covid a year+ ago still has not gone away, although it has morphed into being mostly at night and mostly a feeling of like a severe tremor specifically in the heart cavity that is on top of the regular heartbeat, almost like a hummingbird thing. I bought a mini-ekg device and it has not shown any irregularities, although it starts to calm down as soon as I get out of bed so maybe I need to get like a watch that can monitor it while I sleep? Anyways it doesn't feel like there's arrhythmias. I think it's triggered by caffeine but it doesn't do anything immediately, it takes until I am sleeping, and if it were an allergy I'd think there would be other symptoms too like rash or whatever. Also caffeine doesn't trigger this every time, maybe like 60% of the time. Other than that it might be salt, but that's a much wilder guess and less obvious. I have had previously to covid what I thought was a fairly bad essential tremor to begin with, I reasoned from too much caffeine but I don't really know for sure because I never tried to cut back or anything

I got an ultrasound and it showed nothing at all wrong, same with bloodwork for heart attack. I'm not sure where to go from here. Doctor seems likely to just put me on statins and not investigate further, and seemed much more receptive to the possibility of arrhythmias than any of the stuff I described. Any ideas?

icantfindaname has issued a correction as of 00:52 on Apr 29, 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it could very easily be something to do with your esophagus / GI tract. pain refers around the chest cavity in weird ways, and sensory nerves can get crossed up in ways that provoke motor responses.

also Pillowpants not to be an rear end in a top hat but you're morbidly obese, that poo poo fucks systems in your body top to bottom. metabolic, musculoskeletal, nervous, don't matter, I'm glad you're focusing on that as an issue first because it's going to be so, SO hard to differentiate and discriminate other issues if that one is not addressed.

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 01:50 on Apr 29, 2024

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

It's china russia lockdowns. Its election interference tribalism ingroup outgroup. Its quiet quitting back to the office work from home

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it could very easily be something to do with your esophagus / GI tract. pain refers around the chest cavity in weird ways, and sensory nerves can get crossed up in ways that provoke motor responses.

also Pillowpants not to be an rear end in a top hat but you're morbidly obese, that poo poo fucks systems in your body top to bottom. metabolic, musculoskeletal, nervous, don't matter, I'm glad you're focusing on that as an issue first because it's going to be so, SO hard to differentiate and discriminate other issues if that one is not addressed.

Even if it's not the root cause, the unfortunate truth is doctors see that and can't give a poo poo past it. I'm just a little overweight (for an American), and can still sense the dismissiveness. Not a lot of rushing to figure out what's wrong anymore. Just get "well that happens when you get older".…. Bitch, I'm not *that* old.

We gotta lose weight. Even though once poo poo starts piling up it gets loving harder than ever, and it spirals.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

if it makes you feel better I’m a normal weight and was dismissed for two years with ‘well that’s just menopause/perimenopause stuff like that happens when women get older’ for irregular bleeding between periods, but since it only occurred days before my actual period would start or taper off after it technically ended it wasn’t ’between periods’ but just my period changing. it got to the point I had maybe a week a month where I wasn’t cramping, spotting or outright bleeding. I had lumps in my breast we were more concerned about but once they decided that was just waxing/waning cysts hey problem solved right?

It took the MRI tech suggesting I go to a nurse practitioner who specialized in menopause to see if she wouldn’t prescribe estrogen, me going, her doing all the blood work up (my pc doc never bothered) and finding high CA-125 (I had plenty of estrogen oddly enough but no testosterone or prolactin), doing an ultrasound and finding a 6cm anechoic complex cyst on my left ovary that they want out sooner rather than later.
So now I get to have a complete hysterectomy/ bilateral oophorectomy to see if I have ovarian cancer. Apparently SOP for a bigger than 5-7cm ovarian cyst in women over 53 years old (I’m not but hey close enough, I’m done having kids and ovarian cancer moves fast so better out than in). They’ll hopefully be able to do it all laparoscopically but taking my ovaries will slam me headfirst into full menopause so I’m sure that’ll be fun. The cool part is they’ll be able to send the sample over to pathology and get an answer in about 40 minutes during the surgery so they’ll just leave me open while they wait to make sure they don’t have to take more (what else is left at that point?)

Then all I have to worry about is catching Covid in the hospital while they keep me overnight. :woop:

Don’t listen to doctors who blow off irregular bleeding uterus havers. Even if it’s ’around that time for the Change.’

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

icantfindaname posted:

I got an ultrasound and it showed nothing at all wrong, same with bloodwork for heart attack. I'm not sure where to go from here. Doctor seems likely to just put me on statins and not investigate further, and seemed much more receptive to the possibility of arrhythmias than any of the stuff I described. Any ideas?

Have you done a lipid panel? What does that and your BP look like? I refused statins for years because I'm a vegan with a low BMI so how could that possibly be the issue? Well, turns out my liver is an rear end in a top hat and makes like three times as much cholesterol as my body needs all on its own, so now I take a 10mg pill every day and can't eat grapefruit.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Oracle posted:

Don’t listen to doctors who blow off irregular bleeding uterus havers. Even if it’s ’around that time for the Change.’

My friend's post-menopausal mom told her "me living with you started my period again and synced us up!"

And that's how I learned that it turns out women's periods don't actually synchronize and sudden irregular bleeding is a symptom of cancer.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

brb gonna go joker laugh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
how is Vertlantic supposed to top that one

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We need a randomized, placebo‐controlled trial between chip fabs where workers do and do not mask*.

*within six feet of machinery

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
RSV Vaccine For Younger Adults Found Protective

Oh, word???

They’re going to have to put rooms full of PhDs on gatekeeping duty.

It’s actually antivaccine to want a vaccine, as a vaguely young, vaguely healthy person.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
"Hospital reporting of respiratory disease to lapse"

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/29/hospital-reporting-covid-flu-rsv posted:

Hospitals starting this week will no longer have to report data on admissions, occupancy and other indicators of possible system stress from respiratory diseases to federal officials as another COVID-era mandate expires.

Why it matters: The sunset of the reporting requirement on May 1 marks a turning point in the government's real-time tracking of airborne pathogens that helped drive coronavirus surveillance and reports like the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's FluView.
(..)
Catch up quick: Federal officials since March 2020 collected data from hospitals and states to understand health care system stress, capacity and capabilities.

Beyond COVID-19, the information helped guide prevention and response efforts to seasonal flu and RSV, which can also place a serious burden on emergency departments and ICUs.
  • The required reporting to the CDC's National Healthcare Safety Network was scheduled to end with the COVID-19 public health emergency last May but was extended through this Tuesday, with fewer requirements.
Flashback: The government stopped or scaled back other data reporting at the end of the public health emergency, covering metrics like daily new COVID cases and test positivity.
  • That left wastewater surveillance and hospital admissions as some of the most effective barometers of disease spread.
(..)

Note that this is not only COVID hospitalization data gathering being ditched.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Apr 29, 2024

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Pingui posted:

This also include bird flu too right? Cool everyone in America just straight up don't give a gently caress anymore.

The another day, I saw a tiktok of a lady explaining her experience after she got bit by a black widow. She called her primary doctor, and a nurse at the ER, and their first reaction was "are you sure it was a black widow?" She showed a video of her capturing the black widow in a glass jar and said yeah of course. "Well just grab couple handsful of ibuprofen. Call us again if you break out in heavt sweat" and just hung up on her. Like lmao yeah like only 5% of black widow bites would be lethal but for vast majority of folks it really loving sucks

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Meanwhile in other countries where they still at least remember what public health is and how it works.

https://www.newsx.com/national/quarantine-measures-implemented-amid-bird-flu-outbreak-in-ranchi-jharkhand/

quote:

In response to a bird flu outbreak in Ranchi, two doctors and six staff members of the Regional Poultry Farm in Hotwar have been placed under quarantine at the JSIA building in Ranchi, authorities confirmed.

The JSIA government building has been repurposed into a bird flu ward, with medical experts from Ranchi collecting samples from infected individuals.

Following the confirmation of the bird flu outbreak, the Ministry of Animal Husbandry has enacted a series of measures, including a complete ban on the sale and purchase of all birds and conducting extensive surveys in the affected areas.

Ranchi Deputy Commissioner Rahul Kumar Sinha elaborated on the actions taken, stating, “As soon as bird flu was confirmed, a series of actions took place under the guidelines provided by the Ministry of Animal Husbandry. The first step involved a total ban on the sale and purchase of all birds within a one-kilometre radius of the epicentre.”

He further added, “Surveys of all birds in the region are also being conducted, with various district authorities mobilized to contain the spread of the bird flu. The District Animal Husbandry Office, Municipal Corporation, Police, and Magistrate have formed a rapid response team.”

Additionally, advisories have been issued in local newspapers, and stringent precautionary measures are being enforced in the affected region.

The Animal Husbandry Directorate, Ranchi, has established a Rapid Response Team (RRT) tasked with culling poultry and disinfecting infected areas in the Hotwa poultry area, where the outbreak was detected.

Dr Santosh Kumar, a meat technologist at the Regional Poultry Farm, outlined the disposal measures, stating, “Within a one-kilometre radius, all chickens and eggs will be disposed of. Farmers and shopkeepers are being instructed to refrain from bringing in outside poultry until we receive a negative report.”

Under the directives of the District Collector, approximately 1745 chickens, 450 ducks, and 1697 eggs have been disposed of as a precautionary measure.

H5N1, or Highly Pathogenic Asian Avian Influenza (H5N1) Virus, primarily infects birds but can also be transmitted to humans. Close contact with infected birds or contaminated environments is the main mode of transmission. Authorities are actively working to contain the outbreak and mitigate its impact on both poultry and human populations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Colin Mockery posted:

My friend's post-menopausal mom told her "me living with you started my period again and synced us up!"

And that's how I learned that it turns out women's periods don't actually synchronize and sudden irregular bleeding is a symptom of cancer.

oh yeah if I’d been post menopausal they’d have freaked. But I was still having periods just really long drawn out ones so it was all *shrug* ‘uteruses, am I rite?’

Pingui posted:

My petition to change the CDCs name back to The Communicable Disease Center seems less a sick burn and more a logical inevitability every drat news cycle.

NeonPunk posted:

This also include bird flu too right? Cool everyone in America just straight up don't give a gently caress anymore.
They never did, this just gave them permission to be loud and proud about it. If Trump and Boris Johnson had died of Covid the world would be a very different place.

Oracle has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Apr 29, 2024

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

posted in April 2020

quote:

Someone I know tried coke once two weeks ago, and since that haven't had a sense of smell or taste. They didn't have a nosebleed or particular discomfort during, and it seemed to work like coke would. Is that a thing? I've heard of it happening with extensive use, but never after just once.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

The another day, I saw a tiktok of a lady explaining her experience after she got bit by a black widow. She called her primary doctor, and a nurse at the ER, and their first reaction was "are you sure it was a black widow?" She showed a video of her capturing the black widow in a glass jar and said yeah of course. "Well just grab couple handsful of ibuprofen. Call us again if you break out in heavt sweat" and just hung up on her. Like lmao yeah like only 5% of black widow bites would be lethal but for vast majority of folks it really loving sucks

The redback spider here in Australia is a member of the widow family and throughout my entire childhood it was always drilled into us that this species was deadly dangerous and one of the only two species on this continent known to cause human deaths (the other being the Sydney funnelweb spider). Here's a 1972 song about getting bit on the dick by a redback and having to go to hospital:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnEqmnOfV6Q
(Thread regulars will appreciate the appearance of the phrase "The cure can't be worse than the disease" lol)

A few years ago one of my housemates got bitten by a redback and when he rang emergency they went "Yeah just take some panadols and if there's any swelling then apply ice to the bite area, if the pain gets bad then ring back I guess BUH-BYE." It turns out that only about 30% of people bitten by redbacks have any reaction at all and although some are pretty bad the overwhelming majority only have relatively minor symptoms and don't require hospital attention, and there's usually only around 200 cases every year where anti-venom is even administered. There's been no deaths since 1956 when the anti-venom was introduced.

I always assumed that the reason there hasn't been any deaths attributed to redback spiders in nearly 70 years was because the anti-venom was saving the lives of people who got a bad bite but a 2014 Randomized Controlled Trial of Intravenous Antivenom Versus Placebo concluded that "there is considerable weight of evidence to suggest it is no better than placebo" and recommended that we stop using it or at least warn people that it has limited utility but also carries a danger of anaphylactic shock. Official NSW clinical management guidelines on snake & spider bites now say "Red-back spider envenoming is not life-threatening even to infants and children."

Historically there's been 14 deaths attributed to redback spider bites in Australia (all before 1956) but apparently there's now some doubt over whether a redback bite was the actual cause of those deaths or whether they were due to other complications. Looks like the stories about redback spiders being deadly I've been told my entire life were wrong. :shrug:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Oracle posted:

oh yeah if I’d been post menopausal they’d have freaked. But I was still having periods just really long drawn out ones so it was all *shrug* ‘uteruses, am I rite?’

... gonna call my gyno lol

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

new and exciting hmmmmmmmms everyday

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Have you done a lipid panel? What does that and your BP look like? I refused statins for years because I'm a vegan with a low BMI so how could that possibly be the issue? Well, turns out my liver is an rear end in a top hat and makes like three times as much cholesterol as my body needs all on its own, so now I take a 10mg pill every day and can't eat grapefruit.

Cholesterol and blood pressure both normal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/idea_alchemist/status/1784746088018465175?s=46

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yes!

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Wow, we're almost to the 4 year anniversary of the sad shredded cheese fajita wife tweet.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
I'm convinced that fajita tweet was bullshit trying to get people to listen to the podcast whose account that tweet came from.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Looks like the stories about redback spiders being deadly I've been told my entire life were wrong. :shrug:

Yeeeeah nah. Once again because it's not all that deadly doesn't mean it won't hurt. Being in Texas I've known 5 folks personally and saw their spider bites myself, it always get really nasty and gross af. Two of them got the wound badly infected and had to get surgery to carve it out and left a permanent dent in their leg/foot.

Like c'mon we brag about having the best medical care in the world, and now it's like you're not dead = success! (Ignoring everything else)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

an owls casket posted:

I'm convinced that fajita tweet was bullshit trying to get people to listen to the podcast whose account that tweet came from.

that's the cool part, our societal reaction at large to "lockdowns" was so stupid and exaggerated that an obvious joke fits right in place

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I was under the impression that a lot of deadly spider bites were more because of poor wound care than the venom itself. With spiders like the redback or widow just making it extra miserable and difficult to deal with an infected wound from a wild animal.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

I was under the impression that a lot of deadly spider bites were more because of poor wound care than the venom itself. With spiders like the redback or widow just making it extra miserable and difficult to deal with an infected wound from a wild animal.

Necrotizing venom directly increases your odds of getting a wound infection though

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Pingui posted:

This is so dumb, once all the data pipelines have been created it should take almost no effort to keep it going. But they act like it's a huge burden!

What is painful is getting those reports and pipes created, but they are just gonna trash all that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That move puts us in a worse place with disease monitoring than we were in prior to the pandemic. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Baddog posted:

This is so dumb, once all the data pipelines have been created it should take almost no effort to keep it going. But they act like it's a huge burden!

What is painful is getting those reports and pipes created, but they are just gonna trash all that.

No what's painful is being confronted with data that you're implementing policy that is killing people