Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Ok but that progressive woman looks like a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think the bigger problem is he says they can't measure a one degree difference in temperature.

Devils Advocate: I think the argument there is that you can't be sure. Of course you could measure at one point and measure there the next year too, but that could just be random weather, or a particularly warm year. Of course, that argument falls completely apart, if you spread it out over many places and several years and the measurements are pretty much consistent everywhere. But even then, how do you ensure that you measure every place equally? Maybe all that cold water just moved to the Mariana trench? It's slightly (but not significantly) harder than looking at a thermometer and noticing that it went up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Devils Advocate: I think the argument there is that you can't be sure. Of course you could measure at one point and measure there the next year too, but that could just be random weather, or a particularly warm year. Of course, that argument falls completely apart, if you spread it out over many places and several years and the measurements are pretty much consistent everywhere. But even then, how do you ensure that you measure every place equally? Maybe all that cold water just moved to the Mariana trench? It's slightly (but not significantly) harder than looking at a thermometer and noticing that it went up.

Counter counter - dude specified in a lab so he must mean under the simplest, non real-world conditions. And he said “measure” not “prove”.

We can measure the poo poo out of it. The jabroni is even still using a decimal!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

evilmiera posted:

Ok but that progressive woman looks like a badass.

Also the literacy rates for women in America in 1660's as far as I can tell for a quick bit of research seems to be somewhere in the >20% range.

So guess she's just read the bible for all the illustration of the scantly clad biblical hunks in it.

Good for her.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Charlz Guybon posted:

1 degree of C is equal to 1.8 degree of F. 1.5*1.8= 2.7

How is it wrong?

Isn't this the formula?

(1.5 × 9/5) + 32 = 34.7

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

kik2dagroin posted:

Isn't this the formula?

(1.5 × 9/5) + 32 = 34.7

That's converting one temperature to another, but we're not talking about an absolute temperature, we're talking about a difference in temperatures. So you don't need to add the 32.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Ah that makes sense.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
Santos admits he dressed up as a woman for ‘fun,’ but denies being a drag queen

quote:

To: McGruff
I’m still more interested in his ties to Vekselberg. Santos is a foreign agent, in congress, and no one in his party seems to care.

5 posted on 1/22/2023, 7:56:35 AM by babble-on

quote:

He should switch from R to D and quiet the noise. Ds love cross dressers and Rs seem hard to admit they do too.

6 posted on 1/22/2023, 8:01:45 AM by JonPreston

quote:

The left wing media Still trying to Flip a Gop seat .
They are getting desperate now .
The lefty Dnc media new strategy is to keep flipping Gop seats until the Dems are back in power.
The lefties never this drive or interest in

Omar the Illegal
Swalwell Fangs boyfriend
Warren the Fake indian
Dicky The Stolen valor ....

Dont fall for the Media non stop smear and BS folks .

7 posted on 1/22/2023, 8:03:34 AM by ncalburt ( Gop DC Globalists are the evil)

quote:

Brilliant, just brilliant! Now they cannot kick him out of Congress, he’s a member of a protected group.... 🤣

8 posted on 1/22/2023, 8:04:28 AM by Lockbox (politicians, they all seemed like game show hosts to me.... Sting)

quote:

To: Fido969
If he just did it once for a festival? No, probably not. I mean, when I was in the Navy, I cross-dressed the day before our ship crossed the Equator. A lot of people did. Apparently it was a tradition. The next day, of course, I had to go through Shellback Initiation. But the point was, it was for an event.

9 posted on 1/22/2023, 8:12:15 AM by A_perfect_lady (The greatest wealth is to live content with little. -Plato)

quote:

Had the Democrats not hid all the information they had on Santos before the election, Santos would not be a problem for the Republicans.

The Santos embarrassment to the GOP is the fault of the Democrats.

21 posted on 1/22/2023, 9:55:00 AM by Round Earther

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sarcastr0 posted:

Santos admits he dressed up as a woman for ‘fun,’ but denies being a drag queen

quote:

Had the Democrats not hid all the information they had on Santos before the election, Santos would not be a problem for the Republicans.

The Santos embarrassment to the GOP is the fault of the Democrats.

21 posted on 1/22/2023, 9:55:00 AM by Round Earther

"It's your fault for not stopping me"

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

quote:

To: Fido969
If he just did it once for a festival? No, probably not. I mean, when I was in the Navy, I cross-dressed the day before our ship crossed the Equator. A lot of people did. Apparently it was a tradition. The next day, of course, I had to go through Shellback Initiation. But the point was, it was for an event.

9 posted on 1/22/2023, 8:12:15 AM by A_perfect_lady (The greatest wealth is to live content with little. -Plato)

I've never heard of this Equator ritual, is that a real thing?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Another Bill posted:

It could be a ship specific thing

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DarklyDreaming posted:

It could be a ship specific thing

Yeah, I've heard versions of that sort of thing for the Equator and/or Tropics, depending on era, shipboard tradition, and like a dozen other arbitrary things.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Another Bill posted:

Line-crossing ceremonies are a very old naval tradition, and there are quite a few of them. Crossing the Equator and paying your respects to King Neptune gets you inducted into the Order of Trusty Shellbacks. Specifics of the ceremony have changed over time and place. The outright abuse and hazing has mostly died out in the US Navy these days.

Although there is still an element of fun mystery, so you don't really tell people what they're in for beforehand.

You Slimy Pollywog, you!

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Homoeroticism? In MY Navy?!!

(It's not gay if you do it to pay respects to King Neptune)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So did they stow dozens of woman dresses for the purpose of wearing them for one day? I'm no cargo expert, but that feels inefficient.
I'm picturing full on Victorian dresses, which have to be hung on a mannequin, rather than just a piece of cloth which could be hung like a skirt, because that makes the whole ordeal funnier.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 22, 2023

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

"It's your fault for not stopping me"

These theories are always funny, like even if it isn't the responsibility of the Republican Party to vet its own candidates, why would the Democrats keep all the oppo a secret instead of using it to win the general election in the first place.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

VitalSigns posted:

These theories are always funny, like even if it isn't the responsibility of the Republican Party to vet its own candidates, why would the Democrats keep all the oppo a secret instead of using it to win the general election in the first place.

It's a toss-up between the incompetence of NY GOP during the primary and the incompetence of NY Dems in the general. It brings a tear to my eye to see that kind of bipartisanship in this divided era.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

So did they stow dozens of woman dresses for the purpose of wearing them for one day? I'm no cargo expert, but that feels inefficient.
I'm picturing full on Victorian dresses, which have to be hung on a mannequin, rather than just a piece of cloth which could be hung like a skirt, because that makes the whole ordeal funnier.

There's some WWII movies and any number of individual memoirs and histories that capture some of the ritual. More like skits and plays and someone needs to be the woman.

As said above, it varies.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"The lefty Dnc media new strategy is to keep flipping Gop seats until the Dems are back in power."

Could it be that the other party's strategy of appealing to voters with better candidates to win seats in congress is a good one?

No, it's the media that is doing it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The "Crying Laughing" emoji continues to be an excellent indicator that someone shouldn't read what the people using it are writing.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Does Freep have any opinions on the FDA relaxing restrictions against gay and bisexual men donating blood?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Presto posted:

Does Freep have any opinions on the FDA relaxing restrictions against gay and bisexual men donating blood?

“People who donate anything are already [slurs]”?

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Presto posted:

Between this and Pope Francis saying homosexuality is not a crime I was expecting to see a bunch of threads but a quick glance doesn't really show anything.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I think news only shows up on the Freep radar if it is being boosted by Fox or some other big player in the right wing media ecosystem. Otherwise they ignore it, because if it was actually a big deal, it would all over Tucker and Hannity and etc. If they aren't saying anything about it, then by definition it isn't worth paying attention to, QED.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

The Haitian posted:

Between this and Pope Francis saying homosexuality is not a crime I was expecting to see a bunch of threads but a quick glance doesn't really show anything.
They don't care about anything Francis says because they've all decided he's not a real Pope.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
How about DirectTV dropping Newsmax?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This Is the Zodiac posted:

They don't care about anything Francis says because they've all decided he's not a real Pope.

"All" isn't fair. There's the Francis is fake Pope crowd, and the "you catholic or you christian? :freep:" crowd.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

namlosh posted:

Serious question : didn’t that happen ages ago? Has time blurred for me that bad?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Xiahou Dun posted:

Serious question : didn’t that happen ages ago? Has time blurred for me that bad?

I think you're thinking of OANN, which got dropped earlier.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think you're thinking of OANN, which got dropped earlier.

You’re right. My bad.

Thank you.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

namlosh posted:

I'm hoping we see the day DirectTV drops fox.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm hoping we see the day DirectTV drops fox.

That'll probably never happen because it would also mean dropping Fox Sports

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I thought the Murdochs sold all the non-Fox News parts of the company to Disney?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Neo_Crimson posted:

I thought the Murdochs sold all the non-Fox News parts of the company to Disney?

Murdoch still owns Fox Sports because the SEC thought Disney owned enough sports broadcasting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Sports

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Live thread. Memphis Police release Tyre Nichols Video. Warning Graphic

Goddammit

quote:

To: ifinnegan

>> Why is this important?

FJB needs a distraction to his conf doc scandal

4 posted on 01/27/2023 4:18:42 PM PST by Gene Eric (Don't be a statist!)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 2 | View Replies]

Man, you know you hosed up when even Freepers are going "Dude..."

quote:

IDK, maybe because cops beat an unarmed man to death?

7 posted on 01/27/2023 4:20:07 PM PST by M_Continuum

quote:

To: DCBryan1

The police were acting like an out of control street gang.

9 posted on 01/27/2023 4:21:18 PM PST by Fuzz (. )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

To: ChuckHam

Jeez, listening to this group of Law Enforcement is like I’m watching something savage from Uganda or something. These guys are savage, ignorant, and inept. I guess I’ll cross the Mississippi River somewhere else. This is terrible.

29 posted on 01/27/2023 4:36:42 PM PST by DCBryan1 (Delete FB, TWTR, GOOGL, AMZN, YHOO, Gmail/chrome. Use Gab, Brave + DDG, VPN, Freerepublic )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 25 | View Replies]

Wait a minute...

quote:

To: TigerClaws

You cant lay on your stomach when your laying on your back and they’re holding you down. In order to comply you have to be physically able too.

34 posted on 01/27/2023 4:39:05 PM PST by Husker24 (Pp)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 24 | View Replies]

quote:

To: PGR88

“So how do you train police?”

Is it too much to ask them not to murder people?

84 posted on 01/27/2023 5:01:41 PM PST by MeganC (There is nothing feminine about feminism. )
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 59 | View Replies]

quote:

To: mware

This is sickening.

86 posted on 01/27/2023 5:02:10 PM PST by M_Continuum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 71 | View Replies]

quote:

There was no reason this guy had to die. This was ridiculous.

97 posted on 01/27/2023 5:04:55 PM PST by dforest (Joy Behar is a big mouth cow.)

quote:

To: M_Continuum

Yes it is bad. Only thing close that I have seen was a mentally challenged guy who police were trying to subdue who was crying for his mom. They beat his to death too.

99 posted on 01/27/2023 5:05:22 PM PST by mware
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 86 | View Replies]

quote:

Because those police officers murdered that guy. After he could no longer stand on his own, two of them held him up while others continued to beat him. It’s horrible.

106 posted on 01/27/2023 5:09:41 PM PST by Blood of Tyrants (Blacks have placed stronger chains on themselves than the slave masters of old ever forged.)

Of Course Freepers still gotta Freep. :negative:

quote:

A thin Blue line.

Except in Memphis. A very fat out of shape black line that is panting and out of breath.

The ebonics and cursing is strong with these cretins.

I hope they all enjoy many unhappy years in jail.

115 posted on 01/27/2023 5:11:56 PM PST by Responsibility2nd (Donald Trump is a setting sun. Ron DeSantis is a rising star.)

:thunk:

quote:

To: Major Matt Mason

Remember during the riots in 2020, all over cities they painted ACAB everywhere. (All Cops Are Bastards)

But so many cops just standing around watching and or participating in beating this guy to death?

If the huge majority of cops are good, it seems a bit odd so many bad one’s responded to this call.

What are the odds?

160 posted on 01/27/2023 5:37:25 PM PST by dragnet2 (Diversion and evasion are tools of deceit)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 134 | View Replies]

quote:

To: dragnet2

These are probably the recruits that have replaced the good officers that have left because they've had it with being a target of the Leftists.

161 posted on 01/27/2023 5:39:53 PM PST by Major Matt Mason (To solve the Democrat problem, the RINO problem must first be solved.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 160 | View Replies]

quote:

1. There was no reason to drag him out of car for traffic violation.
2. There was not reason to attempt handcuff him for traffic violation
3. He ran because he was scared shitless
4. They beat him senseless and caused probable head/brain trauma
5, They didn’t didn’t give a drat once they pulverized him
6. It took like 20 mins for any EMT to arrive

I try to support the police.

But this is simply a murder by police.

I hope those 5 cops meet people like them in prison so they can understand what they did.

And OMT …. They were in some scorpion unit that dealt in drugs and gangs.

Why the hell are they doing traffic ??

167 posted on 01/27/2023 5:43:39 PM PST by xyz2

quote:

To: Albion Wilde

This happens more than you think, it doesn’t always make National news. Ask any old time cop. White, black, Asian, disabled et al, it doesn’t matter. The goal is to kill, not subdue.
It needs to be out. Sometimes it takes something this horrific to shake folks up. We need to change the way they are trained. The sooner the better.

170 posted on 01/27/2023 5:44:53 PM PST by M_Continuum
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 163 | View Replies]

quote:

To: Road Warrior ‘04

Watching the first video where they approach the vehicle for the traffic stop...

Seriously, first thing they do is drag him out of the car? Why? What reason did they do that?

He is on the ground asking why? He is trying to make eye contact, not resist. He is confused by the aggressive nature of these cops. Listen to the initial dialogue. He wants to know what he has done to be treated that way. And then they taser him for ‘not complying?’

A cop roughs me up for a traffic stop, I want to know why too. Normal reaction. We need to stop confusing normal reactions with resisting.

187 posted on 01/27/2023 5:54:23 PM PST by EBH
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 172 | View Replies]

quote:

To: All

This is brutal, it made me cry. I generally fall to the side of the police but this was so bad. That guy calling for mom tore me up.

192 posted on 01/27/2023 5:58:19 PM PST by Irenic
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 188 | View Replies]

Your daily reminder that liberals are the real racists.

quote:

To: McCarthysGhost

The loneliest horrible place to be is a young black male over 18. No more welfare check. Momma screams at your worthless a$$. Two weed arrests and a gang charge. The military won't take you. Two baby mammas with child support orders from family court.

Suicide by cop or a bad beating can easily earn your survivors a multi-million settlement.

Momma suddenly tells the media what a great boy you were.

191 posted on 01/27/2023 5:57:44 PM PST by blackdog ((Z28.310) Forget "Global Warming", new grants are for "Galaxy Dimming")
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 173 | View Replies]

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We only have all this police brutality because all the good cops must have quit over hurt feelings from all the other times people protested police brutality.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

This stuff has been bad enough that BlueLivesMatter on twitter is full of people making fun of how the usual defenders are mysteriously absent now after the tape is out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jagged Jim posted:

Live thread. Memphis Police release Tyre Nichols Video. Warning Graphic

Goddammit

Man, you know you hosed up when even Freepers are going "Dude..."

Wait a minute...

Of Course Freepers still gotta Freep. :negative:

:thunk:

Your daily reminder that liberals are the real racists.

my uncle is the first few of "its gotta be a conspiracy"

ChaseSP posted:

This stuff has been bad enough that BlueLivesMatter on twitter is full of people making fun of how the usual defenders are mysteriously absent now after the tape is out

just give them a week or so. they will get their orders from tucker or etc at some point.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

just give them a week or so. they will get their orders from tucker or etc at some point.

He's currently trying to whatabout the conversation to Ashli Babbit. I doubt it'll gain traction, but you never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
It was like this with George Floyd, where even Tucker was willing to admit that was a murder, right up until it became feasible that a cop might actually suffer consequences for murdering an unarmed black man.

Then they all went lock step behind the idea that he was totally already dead from a drug overdose and Chauvin just found him that way