Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

If I had infinite money I would buy and restore Lynnewood Hall , which is still on the market and probably will remain so until it is so deteriorated as to be irrevocably damaged.

The biggest problem I see with that place, if I had infinite money, is that it's in Pittsburgh, which immediately disqualifies it for a place to live. Might be cool as a mega-rich philanthropist to buy and restore it and turn it into a museum or something though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Buff Skeleton posted:

Who keeps pissing in my bleach? <:mad:>

Was getting ready to make this joke.

It's so weird how myths like that propagate even among people who should know better.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Locator posted:

The biggest problem I see with that place, if I had infinite money, is that it's in Pittsburgh, which immediately disqualifies it for a place to live. Might be cool as a mega-rich philanthropist to buy and restore it and turn it into a museum or something though.

If you have enough money you can move it somewhere better?

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

The Locator posted:

Wrong major PA city that starts with P, dude. If that place was in Pittsburgh I'd have known about it (and be wanting to explore it, possibly by pretending to be a prospective buyer so I could see inside).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

That is one hell of a party house.

crazypeltast52 posted:

The kind of person who builds a house like that shouldn’t be allowed to live next to a school.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

Interestingly, that "chlorine smell" of pools isn't the chlorine itself, but chlorine reacting with piss.

And sweat and some other stuff, but :piss: makes a better soundbite.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Buff Skeleton posted:

Who keeps pissing in my bleach? <:mad:>

Me, bitch

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Was getting ready to make this joke.

It's so weird how myths like that propagate even among people who should know better.

Bleach doesn't contain chlorine, it's sodium hypochlorite made from salt and water, i.e. it's already reacted with stuff. It smells but not as much as trichloramine which is what happens when actual chlorine reacts with piss and other human effluence.

But if you don't trust me, maybe you'd trust the Water Quality & Health Council, the American Chemistry Council, or some guy on youtube.

Platystemon posted:

And sweat and some other stuff, but :piss: makes a better soundbite.

yah

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Me, bitch

Bleach doesn't contain chlorine, it's sodium hypochlorite made from salt and water, i.e. it's already reacted with stuff. It smells but not as much as trichloramine which is what happens when actual chlorine reacts with piss and other human effluence.

But if you don't trust me, maybe you'd trust the Water Quality & Health Council, the American Chemistry Council, or some guy on youtube.

yah

When people refer to "chlorine" pools, they mean pools being treated with sodium hypochlorite. or other hypochlorous products. Calcium hypochlorite is the common solid white kitty-litter looking stuff, sodium hypochlorite is delivered in aqueous form in giant vats for commercial pools. No one dumps elemental chlorine in pools

And assuming this isn't a dumb gimmick, guess what Halogen atom, present in the "hypochlorite" ion, is responsible for creating the chloramines that you say are formed from the "actual chlorine"

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Devor posted:

When people refer to "chlorine" pools, they mean pools being treated with sodium hypochlorite. or other hypochlorous products. Calcium hypochlorite is the common solid white kitty-litter looking stuff, sodium hypochlorite is delivered in aqueous form in giant vats for commercial pools. No one dumps elemental chlorine in pools

And assuming this isn't a dumb gimmick, guess what Halogen atom, present in the "hypochlorite" ion, is responsible for creating the chloramines that you say are formed from the "actual chlorine"

Cool thanks for the clarification, though it doesn't actually change the point that I wasn't restating a myth.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

You're on the wrong side of Pennsyltucky. This is just north of Philadelphia, a twenty-five minute drive from my current home.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Queen Victorian posted:

Wrong major PA city that starts with P, dude.

Oops! Still.. my point stand with Philly too. :v:

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Jaded Burnout posted:

Cool thanks for the clarification, though it doesn't actually change the point that I wasn't restating a myth.

It is a total myth, though. Trust me, pools smell like that even when they're first built and filled, before anybody gets in there.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Neutrino posted:

You can fit quite a few bunkbeds in those 6 bedrooms but still not enough for all 100 so they take turns sleeping.
That's a thing on most Navy vessels, especially submarines. The technical term is "hot-bunking" because you get in the bed while it's still warm from the guy that just went on watch. Which was not all that bad back in the day when they had no HVAC when submerged or if they did, had the A/C cranked to meatlocker levels to prevent condensation damaging the electronics.

moist turtleneck posted:

I didn't know I could count my pool as at least 5 bathrooms

I originally misread that as "bedrooms" and now I want to try lifehacking my local state park -- anchor my inflatable kayak (basically am air mattress with sides) in the lake and sleep in it to avoid paying the rental fee for a tent space.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Queen Combat posted:

By buying all surrounding lots and moving the drat pool

Fill in the pool (or fill it with plastic balls!) and use the giant lagoon as a swimming pool.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Darchangel posted:

Fill in the pool (or fill it with plastic balls!) and use the giant lagoon as a swimming pool.

Now that I think about it, I'm vaguely offended he didn't add a full lazy river/moat to the place.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

If I had infinite money I would buy and restore Lynnewood Hall , which is still on the market and probably will remain so until it is so deteriorated as to be irrevocably damaged.

I pass that on the way home every day, but I never knew the name of it. It's amazing. The Elkins Estate (which is in much better shape) across the street is also absolutely beautiful.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Queen Combat posted:

It is a total myth, though. Trust me, pools smell like that even when they're first built and filled, before anybody gets in there.

That's just what the techs who install it and piss in there want you to think

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I called for our annual backflow preventer inspection and was told that DC is as of this year no longer approving DCA type valves for certain installations, presumably per code, so I got some new RPZ type valves to change them out.

Today I took out the 1.5 inch assembly for my cooling tower.

Put a new one in, but it was barely larger in every dimension, so we had to redo the pipe support and cut back the insulation to shorten the line headed to the union.

Which is where I found someone before me must have had to replace something and in the process they reduced the 1.5 inch line down to 1 inch for no good reason at all.

Goddamnit people. I'm going to have to come back and redo that section.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bet whoever only had a 1" union, so they used it.

edit: I especially love the two extra butt joints in there.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
That pipe is more splice than pipe at this point.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Someday I'll get around to putting in a new clean run, but that reducer coupling at the bottom of the picture butts up to an elbow with zero room to cut and couple, so I'm either trying to cleanly un-sweat that elbow or re-plumbing all the way through the wall to the outside. Sounds like a good project for the apprentice to me!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

The Locator posted:

Oops! Still.. my point stand with Philly too. :v:
This isn't "in Philly," it's Philadelphia-adjacent, over the line in Montgomery County. My sister lives not too far from there, and it's great, cozy, non-sprawl suburban living. In this Cost-Is-Not-A-Hindrance hypothetical, even if the building were irreparably damaged and needed to be demolished, the lot would be worth it, as you could have tons of privacy but have a bustling urban center within close proximity.

Speaking of which, this lot is almost literally down the road from where I am. That'd be a great place to build Tetrapyloctomy Hall. Its adjoining lot is also for sale but has a house on it, and it's a doozy.

AFewBricksShy posted:

I pass that on the way home every day, but I never knew the name of it. It's amazing. The Elkins Estate (which is in much better shape) across the street is also absolutely beautiful.
I've never been there, only driven past it (my sister lives on Ashbourne, but on the other side where it breaks for the train tracks). Their website says that they closed, which sucks. Well, when I'm limitlessly wealthy, I'll give you a room at Lynnewood. =D

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Well, you'll never get nosebleeds from dry air in the winter!

"Honey, why is there mold inside every cabinet?"

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Speaking of which, this lot is almost literally down the road from where I am. That'd be a great place to build Tetrapyloctomy Hall.

I have trouble conceptualizing living on a 22-acre lot. What do you do with the space? Just have it so you don't have to look at your neighbors?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have trouble conceptualizing living on a 22-acre lot. What do you do with the space? Just have it so you don't have to look at your neighbors?

Um...yes.

The area I live in is still very suburban, but the lot sizes are all over an acre, and it's amazing how even just that (relatively) small amount of space gives you privacy and peace. If you can't take a piss in your backyard, you aren't really living.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Think of your house as a city, and the land as a no-build greenspace buffer zone. It's for avoiding having to deal with other humans, and also having nature and animals and stuff around your house.

Alternatively, it's a constant struggle against nature to keep nearly a million square feet of space free of massive fire hazards.

Third option is mini-ranch where you keep your hobby livestock and pretend to be a farmer or cowboy or whatever.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

I suppose that would depend on whether your use of "you" means "you personally," or "anyone in general," as well as whether you mean "this space" or "any 22-acre site."

Me personally and this lot specifically? I'd like a large area where my kid, and my dog can run around freely for hours on end and not bother anyone. To that end, while I'd landscape and maintain the area immediately around the home and the garage and whatever other accessory buildings we deemed necessary, I'd plant a bunch of trees to break up the landscape and let things grow. I'd cut some meandering paths through it all for walking or biking. I'd buy a pile of lumber and encourage my kid to build small forts and "tree houses" (which were barely tree stands) like me and my friends did in the nearby woods when I was growing up. I'd spend the rest of my days loving around on my property however I wanted, and I'd still be within walking distance of a bunch of restaurants I like, still within close proximity to stores and gas and all those other everyday conveniences, still within close proximity to a quick drive or train ride to Philadelphia, still within close proximity to the turnpike so I can hop on over to Johnstown to see my folks, down to Virginia to see my wife's, or wherever the hell else I want to go. It's a great loving lot for someone who wants a lot of breathing room but who doesn't want to give up convenient living.

22 acres in general? I guess that would depend. If I just wanted seclusion, I could just move back home literally down the road from my ex-wife's house growing up for a lot more space and for a lot less money, but I have zero desire to go the gently caress back to Johnstown, no matter how much my parents would love it.

edit: holy poo poo, zoomed out and found a crazy murder mini-castle.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 19, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

B-Nasty posted:

Um...yes.

The area I live in is still very suburban, but the lot sizes are all over an acre, and it's amazing how even just that (relatively) small amount of space gives you privacy and peace. If you can't take a piss in your backyard, you aren't really living.

Sure, lot sizes of 1-2 acres I can at least conceptualize. Like, it's a ton of space for one dwelling, but it's not totally isolating. 22 acres is an order of magnitude more space and pretty much means that at most the only neighbors you're going to see regularly are the ones living across the street, assuming their house lines up with yours.

I mean, I live on a 5000-sqft lot (~ 1/8th acre), so obviously my perspective is different, and I'm not trying to tell you what you should want. One of the things I spend probably too much time thinking about is what degree of community I would want to have in my "dream home" neighborhood, and I'm pretty sure that 22-acre lots is "no community" in a lot of ways that I find important. I feel like for me probably the ideal lot size is somewhere in the .5-1.5 acre range.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
And now you have me looking up crazy-big lots. Want solitude? Don't mind that the nearest town has a population of around 9200 people, and that the most populous city in the state is two hours away and still only has 60,000 people? How does the greatest relative personal voting power in the country and 150+ square loving miles of land work out for you?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tetrapyloctomy posted:

And now you have me looking up crazy-big lots. Want solitude? Don't mind that the nearest town has a population of around 9200 people, and that the most populous city in the state is two hours away and still only has 60,000 people? How does the greatest relative personal voting power in the country and 150+ square loving miles of land work out for you?

So this made me look up the sizes of large private properties. The biggest American ranch is 2,300 square miles. The biggest Australian station is 9,300. :stare:

Edit:

quote:

Because of the extended distances, there is a School of the Air so that children can attend classes from their homes, originally using pedal powered radios to communicate with the teachers. The larger stations have their own school and teacher to educate the children on the station until at least they commence high school.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's actually only ("only") 28,900 acres, plus leases and BLM & state land with grazing rights for the balance. And it has a customer with a grazing lease, so depending on terms you might view that as a nice income stream or an encumbrance to doing anything else with it.

Even so, $9.8M for that much space seems like a steal. That's like... three rich people houses in san francisco.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Even so, $9.8M for that much space seems like a steal. That's like... three rich people houses in san francisco.

Where by "rich person house" you mean a 3BR townhouse. :negative:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sure, lot sizes of 1-2 acres I can at least conceptualize. Like, it's a ton of space for one dwelling, but it's not totally isolating. 22 acres is an order of magnitude more space and pretty much means that at most the only neighbors you're going to see regularly are the ones living across the street, assuming their house lines up with yours.

I mean, I live on a 5000-sqft lot (~ 1/8th acre), so obviously my perspective is different, and I'm not trying to tell you what you should want. One of the things I spend probably too much time thinking about is what degree of community I would want to have in my "dream home" neighborhood, and I'm pretty sure that 22-acre lots is "no community" in a lot of ways that I find important. I feel like for me probably the ideal lot size is somewhere in the .5-1.5 acre range.

I grew up on 32 acres and you end up spending a lot of time alone/with family because there's no one around to talk to. I did hang out with the kid from the neighboring-ish farm, and I guess walking across 70 acres of cow field isn't that much of an obstacle when you're younger since we did it often enough.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

My uncle had a 50.1 acre lot*. He built a big house near the front, grassed an area nearby, and constructed a large (~3 acre) pond stocked with fish. The other 45 or so acres were basically just pristine woodlands that he stocked with turkeys.

*This number was precise - the original lot was 47 or so acres so he bought parts of a few adjacent lots to get to 50. If your lot is over 50 acres in Ohio, you can designate it as a “hunting dog” training area and be completely exempt from ALL hunting and fishing permits, firearm permits, and basically everything else while on your property.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MagusofStars posted:

My uncle had a 50.1 acre lot*. He built a big house near the front, grassed an area nearby, and constructed a large (~3 acre) pond stocked with fish. The other 45 or so acres were basically just pristine woodlands that he stocked with turkeys.

*This number was precise - the original lot was 47 or so acres so he bought parts of a few adjacent lots to get to 50. If your lot is over 50 acres in Ohio, you can designate it as a “hunting dog” training area and be completely exempt from ALL hunting and fishing permits, firearm permits, and basically everything else while on your property.

Yeah, this sounds like the kind of place I'd love to visit and maybe spend a month at out of each year, but not live at full-time. It does sound pretty awesome though. I like the idea of having my own private wilderness preserve, I just have trouble justifying the sacrifices in other areas you have to make to enable that kind of home.

Where by "rich person house" you mean a 3BR townhouse. :negative:

Lest you think I'm joking. I mean, they're mostly of a size that they could easily fit more than 3BR, and there are larger, cheaper homes in San Francisco, but still, the property market is ridiculously hosed.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Lest you think I'm joking. I mean, they're mostly of a size that they could easily fit more than 3BR, and there are larger, cheaper homes in San Francisco, but still, the property market is ridiculously hosed.

A random one I clicked on has a $72,000 yearly tax bill. The removal of the SALT tax deduction this year is going to hurt come tax time.

Of course, what's a few 10s of thousands a year when you're buying a 3.5 million dollar house.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My ex had 23 acres in upstate New York. He had a pond stocked with fish (the previous owner had been a competitive fisherman), an orchard with enough apple trees to brew a significant amount of cider every year, more assorted fruit trees, grape vines, and room for a garden plot. He let locals hunt on his land as long as they gave him part of the processed meat. I don't know the sq ft on the house, but it was big enough that his then-wife had a jewelry studio and he had a music studio, and people would come up to stay and work on music with him for weeks on end.

It sounds pretty idyllic to me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

Alternatively, it's a constant struggle against nature to keep nearly a million square feet of space free of massive fire hazards.

Yeah but you know what’s a real fire hazard?

The idiot next door.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sloppy posted:

No HOA should be involved in anything aesthetic ever, just repairs.

There's a house on my street with a front door that has glass panes in it. One of the panes has been shattered since I moved in. That was 2012.

Gives the block character if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
LOL goons are so scared of fire. I get that it isn't wise to have fuels building up all over ther place but goons are always sperging out about fire danger over the most mundane stuff.