Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
its poo poo :jerry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Triglav posted:

its almost like drm mostly affects legitimate customers

like i guess it stifles pirates for a week or two. i think diablo 3 was the sole example of successful drm because all the monsters, skills, and loot logic were server side. but who wants to pay that expense, just bolt on some garbage promise middleware

The point of DRM is to delay for a week

the vast majority of sales occur within about a week of the launch period. If you can keep a warez version from showing up in that period then you literally save tens of millions of dollars

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
that's the only way i can rationalize it, yeah. people are impulsive and impatient and need things asap because they pour all their hopes and dreams for weeks into the promise of distracting themselves from their lovely life for the six hours it takes to beat that game

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

huh they're still doing windows 10 insider preview builds: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/08/18/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-10525/

quote:

Updated color options!
We got a lot of feedback on the default color for Start, Acton Center, Taskbar, and Title bars and that you wanted to be able to change to reflect your preferences. This feature is now available (though still early) in build 10525 for you to try. This is off by default, but you can turn it on by toggling this (Settings > Personalization > Colors)
Memory Manager Improvements:

In Windows 10, we have added a new concept in the Memory Manager called a compression store, which is an in-memory collection of compressed pages. This means that when Memory Manager feels memory pressure, it will compress unused pages instead of writing them to disk. This reduces the amount of memory used per process, allowing Windows 10 to maintain more applications in physical memory at a time. This also helps provide better responsiveness across Windows 10. The compression store lives in the System process’s working set. Since the system process holds the store in memory, its working set grows larger exactly when memory is being made available for other processes. This is visible in Task Manager and the reason the System process appears to be consuming more memory than previous releases.
We do have a few known issues with this build.
  • Mobile hotspot doesn’t work in this build. When sharing the Internet from your device with mobile broadband using Mobile Hotspot, it will fail to get a valid IP address from your device and will show no internet access.
  • An update to Movies & TV application from the Store will be required to fix an issue with video playback.
  • Optional languages packs will not be available during the initial launch of this flight, it will be available later this week.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

dont cut out the best part

quote:

And of course we’ll be looking to do more fun things for Windows Insiders as well, like our Insiders to Campus event, Ninja Cat goodies, special wallpapers and more.

sweet, sweet goodies

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

im the wasted space, redundancy, and confusion created by the word "on" that's next to the switch that's already in the "on/active" mode.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the memory compression thing seems kind of pointless for a computer but I bet it would be hella useful for a phone or tablet

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shaggar posted:

the memory compression thing seems kind of pointless for a computer but I bet it would be hella useful for a phone or tablet

os x has had it for a year or two, it works

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
ms has just given up on UI design, right? it's like if you just threw every UI element onto the screen and you didn't do anything to it and just went with however it rendered by default.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

too bad they never added it to ios

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Last Chance posted:

im the wasted space, redundancy, and confusion created by the word "on" that's next to the switch that's already in the "on/active" mode.

without the label how would you know that's the active state? maybe it's on when the dot is on the left?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or maybe they did and their implementation just sucks rear end like most of their software. that would explain everything being punted out of ram the second you stop using it in failos 7/8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
toggle switches are loving stupid. just use a loving check box or a radio button.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

are they calling the start menu (or start button?) just "Start"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

qirex posted:

without the label how would you know that's the active state? maybe it's on when the dot is on the left?

well you could make the active state colored or highlighted, and the inactive state white or gray. just a thought.

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong

i'm the horribly misaligned tiles in the right column

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im the... im the.. oh geeze. really putting me on the spot here

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

cool. thanks satya

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

I have a bunch of lovely servers with lovely java software with Xms/Xmx values configured by morons who won't fix them and this will help so that's nice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

If they bolt it in at the hyper-v hypervisor level then its even better

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol windows server :wtc:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I have a bunch of lovely servers with lovely java software with Xms/Xmx values configured by morons who won't fix them and this will help so that's nice

is there going to be a server 10 or are they gonna like push stuff into a new 2012 release or something?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hahahahahahaha

a poor sucker posted:

Surfing the web and landed on one of those awful websites that has a malicious popups, "Your computer is infected! Call 1800...."
I click "OK" and try to close the window, popup again, click ok, popup...
Alt+Ctrl+Del and close Edge.
Reopen Edge and the tabs are restored. Popup. drat't!
Restart computer. Reopen Edge, tabs are restored. Popup. drat't!
Try to search for the old "Internet Explorer settings" to disable the "restore tabs" feature... Windows automatically goes out to the web to try and search this, reopening my Edge browser (and restoring existing tabs), but the new tab allows me to close the last one.
So, if you land on a malicious page using popup dialog boxes, just do a windows search on the internet and you should hopefully be able to close the malicious tab from the new one.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

PleasureKevin posted:

hahahahahahaha

this is epic

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

is there going to be a server 10 or are they gonna like push stuff into a new 2012 release or something?

its going to be like win7 and then the 2008R2 release 6mo to a year after. They're def working on it, bunch of references to their "next gen server os"

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows server 10 will have achievements and unskippable advertisements when you start up sql server

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

pram posted:

windows server 10 will have achievements and unskippable advertisements when you start up sql server

lol did they strip that poo poo out of visual studio or is it still around

cheevios

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Shaggar posted:

you just download "Server Ten Unlimited License Pro DataCenter" through the windows store, its amazing that they fit all that into a 6.5mb download

must be the memory compression

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

You Am I posted:

Microsoft does something..... right?

well i would think they could construct a shim that fools securom and older hook-in drm poo poo into thinking it's got it's claws deep into the os like the old days

then again that'd probably run afoul of the retarded dmca

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

computer parts posted:

The point of DRM is to delay for a week

the vast majority of sales occur within about a week of the launch period. If you can keep a warez version from showing up in that period then you literally save tens of millions of dollars

Well then game studios should maybe have eventually released their own noCD patches (which a few devs actually did, fortunately; their "last" patch would sometimes disable the CD check).

Or hell, just do like what Ubisoft did when they started digitally selling games and forgot about that whole "you need the CD" thing, and just bundled in the RELOADED cracked EXE to fix it.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah .. im sure microsoft cares about their customers *gazes upon smoldering pile of dead GFWL games, windows 7 phones, surface rt tablets, plays for sure music*

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

computer parts posted:

turns out it's really good for performance to avoid I/O, especially paging-related I/O

the classic Mac had this too with Connectix RAM Doubler starting in like 1992 or so

it worked really well, esp the later versions that were more like RAM Tripler

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Shaggar posted:

why wouldn't they just sell the server components as an add-on via the Windows Marketplace?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

john titor has returned from the future to get a CD drive and OS that support SecureRom so he can end the war over what really happens in Omikron: Nomad Soul, which is the foundation of their future religion

pram
Jun 10, 2001
imagine if shagger bought a windows 7 phone instead. he could have his dream of never having his os updated

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

pram posted:

yeah .. im sure microsoft cares about their customers *gazes upon smoldering pile of dead GFWL games, windows 7 phones, surface rt tablets, plays for sure music*

RIP my copy of street fighter 4

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
RAM compression was the poo poo in 1998

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

qirex posted:

there's also the question of accessibility, if someone is colorblind or has poor vision it might be impossible to make any sense of the unlabeled switch

like most ms ui stuff these days, that label is a halfhearted attempt to make the best of a fundamentally flawed ui style

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

haha sucks2beu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pram posted:

imagine if shagger bought a windows 7 phone instead. he could have his dream of never having his os updated

yeah and the browser would still work.

• Locked thread