Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's pretty amazing how easy it is too. Just cutting and extending the strut tubes and then dropping the cartridge in after a spacer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The big concern for me, after watching the entirety of project Binky and considering myself now an expert on things like suspension geometry, would be the suspension geometry and how it would affect my CV joints. Might not be that big of a deal, but still something to put on the list.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm gonna be really honest with you now: it is a Mk4 Volkswagen. Your CVs are hosed no matter what.

But yeah your camber curve probably ends up all kinds of weird. I am sure the Mk4 community already has bump steer and caster kits that you could use to touch up anything weird that happens.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Half-axles are relatively cheap, I'll just keep a couple on hand :buddy:

Time to go to work, I suppose.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

scuz posted:

The big concern for me, after watching the entirety of project Binky and considering myself now an expert on things like suspension geometry, would be the suspension geometry and how it would affect my CV joints. Might not be that big of a deal, but still something to put on the list.
One thing will be that don't forget, larger diameter tyres will change where the suspension geometry puts itself relative to the important bit, the contact patch, so have a good think about what you need to do with balancing things like steering trail, KPI, wheel offset (gently caress "backspacing", that's for hicks wot durnt wanna rub frame with Super Swampers, relation of mounting face to centreline is what matters) and so on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A larger diameter tire also applies more torque to the suspension. Think of your contact patch as the end of a lever, with the radius being the length of the lever. increase the radius, increase the leverage it has on what it's bolted to. That's why fred didn't do a burnout in the monster truck, it likely would have snapped the axle shafts or, being a sterling, spun the axle tubes right out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

One thing will be that don't forget, larger diameter tyres will change where the suspension geometry puts itself relative to the important bit, the contact patch, so have a good think about what you need to do with balancing things like steering trail, KPI, wheel offset (gently caress "backspacing", that's for hicks wot durnt wanna rub frame with Super Swampers, relation of mounting face to centreline is what matters) and so on.

what loving pisses me off about offset is that it's measured in mm. Percentage of wheel width would be much more logical.

No matter what though you need two data points (width, offset, backspacing) to truly determine wheel fitment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

what loving pisses me off about offset is that it's measured in mm. Percentage of wheel width would be much more logical.

No matter what though you need two data points (width, offset, backspacing) to truly determine wheel fitment.
Well, you also need to know diameter, so percentage of width is meaningless. You want measurements to work out through trigonometry where the intersection points of suspension geometry with the contact patch will be.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

Well, you also need to know diameter, so percentage of width is meaningless. You want measurements to work out through trigonometry where the intersection points of suspension geometry with the contact patch will be.

True. I was mostly thinking of wheel fitment vs the brakes and axle housing, but you're 100% right about needing that info for contact patch/scrub radius and fender + suspension link clearance.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

scuz posted:

Half-axles are relatively cheap, I'll just keep a couple on hand :buddy:

Time to go to work, I suppose.

Also the only thing I've seen consistently gently caress FWD VW half-shafts is trying to go full throttle at full lock. Most of the rallycrossers here actually fabricate simple steering stops so that they can't quite get full lock when they're donging it up in the mud.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

True. I was mostly thinking of wheel fitment vs the brakes and axle housing, but you're 100% right about needing that info for contact patch/scrub radius and fender + suspension link clearance.
Mmm, my irritation is the number of people who seem to treat offset/backspacing as a "fit" problem. Worry about whether it works in terms of geometry first, then see how it fits. I think not understanding this is a significant reason for things like death wobble, people thinking that as long as it bolts together and doesn't rub, it's "right", even if your steering trail is hosed and your kpi now intersects a country mile away from where it was on the contact patch before.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Except when DED does it, they get a pass.

Using dually hubs as spacers? Wonderful.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I saw a beautiful thing today

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cage posted:

That truck reminded me of a crazy Icelandic guy with a first gen explorer

46 inches
Crazy? Every other vehicle in Iceland looks like that. :black101:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I saw a beautiful thing today

Love it

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is that a land rover bed?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Is that a land rover bed?
I think it's a standard FJ40 one. Definitely not Land Rover though.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Happy Canada Day!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALJCkHPU8ko

That's a Mk3 Fiesta. :staredog:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kawasaki H2R Proves It Really Can Go 249 MPH On A (Closed) Public Road

:staredog:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Meh, this is a much cooler H2R video, anyone can pin the throttle in a straight line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSqSmEfeV1k
It's at Isle of Man.

Also, from the rider

quote:

Hi all, some great comments here. For the record This was display lap on closed roads during TT 2015 and I saw 218mph on the clock that day but I took my iphone in my leathers used the strava tracking app. This logged me at a max of 206.9 mph!
This is one incredible motorcycle , and something I will never forget! ✊🏼

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 2, 2016

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm really surprised I haven't seen this linked on every car culture site yet: https://youtu.be/4DV55mp7TGI

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

I wonder if you could fit the engine in an az-1.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I wonder if the GTR LM team would take offers on their car deskinned:

and ruining all the aero effects, I'm sure.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

Slam a truck bed on it and I'm there.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
How long until someone thinks that's the back of the car

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

kimbo305 posted:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

How long until someone thinks that's the back of the car

Pretty sure Sniff Petrol had an article joking that Nissan figured out that the easiest way to fix the car was to drive it in reverse.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Just gonna set this HDR slider to "Pro"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_o9qagjL8Dv1s6441y.mp4

the parking enforcement team has arrived

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just gonna set this HDR slider to "Pro"

To be fair, that is one of the least offensively tacky HDR shots i've seen. And I speak from experience, having abused the gently caress out of HDR when I was still learning photography :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I think it looks kinda 50s in a painterly way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
is that from a movie being filmed? it has it all, boat chase, car chase, car crash, car splash :v:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That's actually what I was wondering. Mostly because of the boat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, it's from a film shoot. But supposedly the smart wasn't supposed to end up in the drink.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Replace the Smart with a Morris Marina and you've got pre sex offender Top Gear.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I posted this in the subaru thread but I'll link it here because bruh

literally a fish posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck.

So the place that's currently got my Legacy for tuning just finished running this around Philip Island for Subinats '16, came 2nd (time trial event iirc):

Click on the photos for full-rez.

Video of a lap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5XLl70acGA (I may have posted this already)

EG33 turbo impreza. Holy poo poo. This thing is insane.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:eyepop: that is awesome. Something about extreme attention to aerodynamics to the point of absurd body modification makes me all :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
2 stroke.
V8.
Tube frame.
Volvo Amazon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrhsUXnodfw