Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Senerio posted:

Thank you both for the trades.

You're welcome! Glad I could help. Thanks for the two exclusives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Sade posted:

You definitely should not intentionally gimp yourself by picking bad teams, but you should keep mental track not only of the pokemon and movesets you see from your opponent, but try to read their behavior as well. Look for patterns in their play. Are they likely to switch after eating a super-effective move? That's a pattern you can exploit for momentum. At the same time, try and sniff out those patterns of predictable responses in your own play and eliminate them. That said, you're going to get read sometimes no matter what, so try to adapt and stay one step ahead of your opponent. Competition is as much about your mind vs. your opponent's mind as it is anything else.

I really appreciate all of this advice--but especially this paragraph. It's something I've sort of been doing without explicitly thinking about it (getting a sense of people's behaviours, that is), but I'll definitely focus on it specifically.

boy are my arms tired posted:

another tip though; take notes! i believe you're allowed a notepad to keep track of things, and while sun/moon is definitely better about displaying information, you can still keep track of items used, who has what moves, etc.

ah awesome--I'll definitely do that

cheers

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
such majestic birbs in these pokeman games

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Solumin posted:

You're welcome! Glad I could help. Thanks for the two exclusives!

Yeah, not a problem. Those were the ones I had in my PC right now.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

boy are my arms tired posted:

extremely good advice

another tip though; take notes! i believe you're allowed a notepad to keep track of things, and while sun/moon is definitely better about displaying information, you can still keep track of items used, who has what moves, etc.

e: also while registered you can only have six pokemon, before registration if you talk with people and get a feel for whats getting played, you can alter your team to match it. after registration you are locked in, though.

Yeah, I thought about keeping a notepad, but wasn't sure if that was legal or not so I didn't say anything about it. Good to hear it is. Hope you have a good time, Waffles :)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Can I get Pokerus from someone? How do I spread it to my mons? Does it ever go away?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

How do I spread it to my mons? Does it ever go away?

Have them adjacent in the party menu as you finish a battle (I don't think running counts.) The effects don't, but it has a chance to go inert and stop spreading every midnight, per Pokemon (you'll get a purple frowny face down the bottom instead of a faux status effect). This doesn't happen in the box however, so spread it to something you never take out as a contingency.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Can I get Pokerus from someone? How do I spread it to my mons? Does it ever go away?

If you have that Beastly Mimikyu, I can give Pokerus to whatever you wanted in return (Sewaddle? Abra?). Basically it never goes away, but if you have a Pokerus mon in your party when it switches between night and day that mon will stop spreading it to others. The solution is to infect several Pokemon and keep at least one of them in your bank so it can always infect others. To spread it, just have it in your party and start a battle. You can just run away, as long as it's initiated. A few minutes in any grassy area should spread it to your full team.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Tapu Koko you piece of poo poo.
Get in the ball.
Stay there.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

such majestic birbs in these pokeman games

:yeah:

I almost want to do a birb gimmick team on my Sun playthrough.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man I would love if the GTS had a "search by pokémon wanted" feature. Just roll up and be like "yo what can I get for this Dratini?"

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Man I would love if the GTS had a "search by pokémon wanted" feature. Just roll up and be like "yo what can I get for this Dratini?"

That is exactly the feature I would like too, and it's honestly mystifying that it isn't there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want to roll my own reasonably-nice Ditto. What's the chaining build? I know it has to involve False Swipe and probably Recycle+Leppa Berry+a healing move, but how do you kill six billion Dittos without dying yourself?

(also tyb you should hook me up with a Beastly Mimikyu)

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
GTS could use a million more features and I have no idea why they haven't improved it in any way since XY. Imagine if you could sort by or demand shinies, specific regions, balls, natures, abilities or IVs (or even just inspect the latter two). Imagine if you could search by items and use it to trade rare Pokemon for Destiny Knots or Bottle Caps. Also why can you only specify that you don't want to see people seeking legendaries before searching, but the "only show people seeking Pokemon I have" can only be used after?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Will do if I get my hands on one.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I want to roll my own reasonably-nice Ditto. What's the chaining build? I know it has to involve False Swipe and probably Recycle+Leppa Berry+a healing move, but how do you kill six billion Dittos without dying yourself?

One pokémon has recycle as its only move, and you make Ditto transform into that. Then a different pokémon slaps a Leppa Berry on it with Trick or Switcheroo, and you can injure it and kill all the Dittos in the world at your leisure. Use something with a high catch rate if you intend to catch an HA Ditto since it'll transform as soon as it spawns, but otherwise just front with a pokémon that doesn't have a hit-all move and that you can KO a Ditto version of.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Have ditto transform into something that only knows recycle and trick/switcheroo a leppa berry onto it. That way it can't touch you and will never run out of PP and kill itself.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Have munchlax that only knows Recycle. Have a pokemon that learns Trick or Switcheroo. On the first turn switch into your Munchlax so the Ditto transforms. Then switch to your Trickmon and give it a Leppa berry. Then switch to whatever and kill the ditto as they spawn in.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just bred a pair of perfect Beldum, aw yeah. Time to crank out some more for trades and hope for a shiny.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

When does the shiny charm affect eggs? When they hatch or when you get them?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

The Shiny Charm effects eggs when you get them, because all eggs are locked into their stats (species, nature, ability, egg moves, IVs, shiny value) when generated, rather than hatched.

The GTS could use some many little improvements. It's astounding how it's remained virtually changed since its inception in DP. It even has the same music!

I'm in the market for breedable pokemon in Apricorn or Beast Balls. Here's what I can breed in return:

• Stufful with Thunder Punch, Wide Guard, Stomping Tantrum, and Ice Punch in a Love Ball.
  • Adamant Bounsweet in a Love Ball courtesy of dizz.
  • Timid Solosis in a Friend Ball.
  • Carvanha in a Lure Ball. (Sadly not Speed Boost. Would love to get one though!)
  • Jolly Gible in a Lure Ball.
  • Bold Regenerator Mareanie with Haze, Stockpile, Spit Up, and Swallow in a Beast Ball.
  • Anticipation Eevee in a Beast Ball.
  • Sandile in a Beast Ball.
  • Snivy in a Beast Ball.

The parents have varying IVs, but I'm using a Destiny Knot 6V Ditto as the other parent.
Friend Code is 3668-7290-5168, and IGN is Tzu. I'm usually hanging out in the discord channel as GBD for easier coordination.

Shiny777 posted:

Anyone want Honedges in Beast Balls? Because I've currently got a 4IV Quiet Wide Guard/Destiny Bond one making eggs with a 6IV Ditto right now, so those are gonna be piling up pretty fast soon.

FC's 1332-9128-2747, IGN is Alice if anyone's interested.

Also I've got a bunch of 3-4 IV Modest Popplio and about 8 spare perfect 5s if anyone wants any of those.

I'd love one your beastly swords. Anything from my above list helpful to you?

AlphaKretin posted:

Have them adjacent in the party menu as you finish a battle (I don't think running counts.) The effects don't, but it has a chance to go inert and stop spreading every midnight, per Pokemon (you'll get a purple frowny face down the bottom instead of a faux status effect). This doesn't happen in the box however, so spread it to something you never take out as a contingency.

Running counts. Getting into battles and running away lets you avoid sullying your newly hatched pokemon with random EVs while getting them infected with pokerus.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I got the shiny charm but screw that this is the most important thing I got from the GTS today.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Giant Boy Detective posted:

I'm in the market for breedable pokemon in Apricorn or Beast Balls. Here's what I can breed in return:

• Anticipation Eevee in a Beast Ball.
  • Sandile in a Beast Ball.
  • Snivy in a Beast Ball.
I'm interested in all of these.

I can offer the following, all in Beast Balls:

tyblazitar posted:

Beldum (Jolly or Adamant)
Wimpod (Adamant)
Bagon (Jolly)
Goomy (Calm)
Mareanie (Calm, Regenerator, with Haze)
Gothita (Timid)
Trapinch (Careful/whatever)
Feebas (Jolly)
Geodude (Galvanize, Impish)
Cubone (Jolly, Lightning Rod)
Deino
Carvanha (Hasty, Great IVs)
Minior (Naive, got some 6IV spares)
Sewaddle (Naive)
Cutiefly (Lonely)
Stufful (Fluffy, Relaxed)
Abra (Adamant, Synchronize or Inner Focus, got spares of both)
Togepi

Most of them don't have outstanding IVs, but I use a 6IV Ditto so the result shouldn't be too bad.

Also have a Love Ball Vulpix if that's of interest to you (Moonblast + Freeze Dry and 4IV, but no HA). And add a Poliwag to the Beast ball list, no good nature or anything though.

felch me daddy jr. fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 1, 2016

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

tyblazitar posted:

GTS could use a million more features and I have no idea why they haven't improved it in any way since XY. Imagine if you could sort by or demand shinies, specific regions, balls, natures, abilities or IVs (or even just inspect the latter two). Imagine if you could search by items and use it to trade rare Pokemon for Destiny Knots or Bottle Caps. Also why can you only specify that you don't want to see people seeking legendaries before searching, but the "only show people seeking Pokemon I have" can only be used after?

Will do if I get my hands on one.

My favourite is how there are two filter menus and one can only be accessed after the initial search, so if you're looking for a hot commodity, you're wasting even more time

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Someone traded me a cosmog for a haunter

The GTS is crazy

Hey Dizz you still giving out pokes? I see you're on my plaza now

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The worst is when I find what I want, have it, initiate the trade and it says "This was already traded". Refresh the listing and the fucker is still there.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Managed to find a shiny Turtonator as my first encounter on my return to Blush Mountain.

Why, Shelly? Why do you have a lax nature and boring colors?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

tyblazitar posted:

I'm interested in all of these.

I can offer the following, all in Beast Balls:

Also have a Love Ball Vulpix if that's of interest to you (Moonblast + Freeze Dry and 4IV, but no HA). And add a Poliwag to the Beast ball list, no good nature or anything though.

Sure thing! I'd love a Togepi, Beldum, and Deino. The Eevee I have on hand, but the other two will just take me a couple minutes to get eggs for and hatch. I'll add your FC and report back when they're all hatched and I'm in the Plaza.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ive been replaying platinum and i think i like it more than sun and moon. it feels more.... like pokemon, i guess? they;'ve changed a bunch of stuff and it's not the same anymore

for example, barry has good teams and hau has awful ones. also i like surfing and caves and stuff! i am the old guy on the lawn!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
oh that shiny togedemaru is in a beast ball btw tyblazitar, so you can add it to your collection if you're still doing the 3

everyone else, i have some adorable beast ball togedemarus i can hand out tonight. i have a grand total of 12 to trade, all with the following properties: 5+ IVs, Encore, Fake Out. 8 are Iron Barbs, 4 are Lightning Rod.

things I need: a parasect or smergle above level 50 with: false swipe, spore, twave, whatever else. alternatively, beast ball breedables, but i'll take whatever you don't mind parting with.

my FC is 0490-9221-5017, IGN: Rafza, go ahead and add me, I'll add you tonight when i get off work

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
Yall were not kidding about Castform going fast on the GTS. Just traded away about 10 of them for Pokemon with super low spawn rates that I have been having a hard time finding. Thanks!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
What's the (lowest effort) best way to make a bunch of synchronize abras? Get said synchronize abra, get a female one, begin mass breeding them until I have most of the natures I want? Or alt: Just use an everstone for the specific nature I want each time until I have my collection made.

Hm. I think I answered my own question

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

:saddowns: I feel like I missed the castform train. Where's my type: Null, GTS???

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Minrad posted:

What's the (lowest effort) best way to make a bunch of synchronize abras? Get said synchronize abra, get a female one, begin mass breeding them until I have most of the natures I want? Or alt: Just use an everstone for the specific nature I want each time until I have my collection made.

Hm. I think I answered my own question

In XY when i farmed up sync abras I just mass bred them without stone since they were an easy breed.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The mimikyu I traded you last night should have pokerus.

Has anyone picked up Scyther in a Beast Ball yet? I just caught one without thinking to check the thread first.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Shellder are notoriously hard to breed because they always withdraw.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

MacheteZombie posted:

In XY when i farmed up sync abras I just mass bred them without stone since they were an easy breed.

Yeah with the little tauros hole it's pretty fast so I'll just breed a bunch and then toss the excess.

Set up a Smeargle for low effort captures, got my eceedingly legit 6iv shiny ditto from GTS, now I just need to make a stock of Abras and I can begin the breeding :getin:

Not that I have any idea what team I wanna make, but Alolan Ninetales and Sandslash but look awesome and play well with each other... two gens in a row now where I go for a hail team.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Alright, got all three and hanging out in the plaza as Tzu. Send me trade request when you see me.

e: Thanks a bunch!

Squats fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 1, 2016

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The GTS has always been bad. The region options aren't even helpful because they sort by the region of the person offering the trade rather than the language of the pokemon on offer, so you're just eliminating stuff you want and maybe seeing stuff you don't by using them.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Alright, got all three and hanging out in the plaza as Tzu. Send me trade request when you see me.

Thanks for the trades!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Beekeeping and You posted:

:saddowns: I feel like I missed the castform train. Where's my type: Null, GTS???

I plan on firing it up again this weekend. I may replace Destiny Knots with something else a little more appealing, like Master Balls or Gold Caps