Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So they're not using the Italian masters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Its basically the same thing. Probably a lower bitrate or something to account for english dub.

I'd need a screenshot comparison to really tell the difference. They're basically the same color wise and there's none of those strange image freezes to reduce the film jitter or anything like the the Viz copy.

So basically its untouched video with maybe a small drop in quality. Most noticeably everything's in the same order as the Japanese and Italian DVDs in that the teaser is before the OP, unlike Viz which put it after the OP for no discernible reason.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 27, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So basically its untouched video with maybe a small drop in quality. Most noticeably everything's in the same order as the Japanese and Italian DVDs in that the teaser is before the OP, unlike Viz which put it after the OP for no discernible reason.

Oh, that's supposed to go BEFORE!

That makes so much more sense!

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, that's supposed to go BEFORE!

That makes so much more sense!

Yeah I think it was probably supposed to go at the end of a previous program or before a commercial break in the Japanese version.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I'm actually OK with how Viz puts the teaser after the OP, because as much as I like them, it's much easier to skip to the content.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
So for the new Death Busters arc that's happening in the Spring is Toei still going to be doing that whole twice a month airing schtick like Crystal season 1&2? Part of me really wants them to put a bit more effort into animation and story. I'd be okay with Happiness Charge levels of animation cuts so long as we actually get some good fight seasons that aren't character stills sliding left and right.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Isn't it airing on TV this year? Most likely it'll have a consistent every week schedule if they don't want to lose their timeslot.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

The ED for Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3 is incredibly gay and I look forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PIfPZSorwA

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Those hand gestures were in the episode in which Uranus and Neptune "died" to reveal the talismans in their heart, and that is one of the best Sailor Moon episodes. Uranus, Neptune and Pluto rule anyway, I'm actually looking forward to this. Remember that the Outer Senshi theme was the best piece of music in the anime series (though Moon Revenge from one of the films is even better).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

a cartoon duck posted:

The ED for Sailor Moon Crystal Season 3 is incredibly gay and I look forward to it.

Time to finally finish seasons one and two.

gently caress yeah.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

a cartoon duck posted:

heck yes

I stopped watching Crystal midway through the first season but I might jump back in since Uranus is my fave.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's me, I'm the one person that found Uranus and Neptune to be obnoxious and quit watching the dub in 2000.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Star Man posted:

It's me, I'm the one person that found Uranus and Neptune to be obnoxious and quit watching the dub in 2000.

Dub Usagi wasn't obnoxious enough?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I don't remember, I was 13. Maybe everything in that dub was awful to me and I'm forgetting things.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Uranus's dub voice is one of the worst vocal performances I've ever heard (clips of, anyway), so maybe that had something to do with it

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Rudoku posted:

Dub Usagi wasn't obnoxious enough?

Come S/SuperS, probably. Her voice is just grating in the 90s dub.

Star Man posted:

To be fair their characterization in the manga is much less obnoxious than the anime version.

I realize tomorrow that they're starting the last 5 episodes of stars. I feel really bad for anybody following the hulu showings not being able to just binge the last five at once.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

RMZXAnarchy posted:

I realize tomorrow that they're starting the last 5 episodes of stars. I feel really bad for anybody following the hulu showings not being able to just binge the last five at once.

I'm honestly loving the dub on Crystal, so I'm pumped to knock out these last five episodes.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

Webbeh posted:

I'm honestly loving the dub on Crystal, so I'm pumped to knock out these last five episodes.

I meant episodes 196-200 of the 90s series. Since its two a week it'll mean people get what are basically two of the biggest gut-punches tomorrow without being able to immediately finish the series afterwards.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
So, out of nowhere, the Infinity arc of Crystal has started and the first episode is on Hulu now.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Season 3 episode 1/smc episode 27 is out.

They even have a bit of recap to get everyone up to speed.

I think it does look better this time out and I'm all excited again. Then again, I was excited about Crystal for a while too, before it just got to be too much and I quietly dropped it around episode 10.

Anyway, full transformations! Outer senshi! The gayest ED ever!

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Haven't watched the new episode yet but from the preview clip they had at the live event I'm liking the new character designs. They seem softer and less rigid in the outlines. I like Michiru's voice but I'm still not sure about Haruka's. Opening song feels like a mid-episode insert song rather then an opening but seconding the ED being the gayest ED ever!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Revolver Bunker posted:

Haven't watched the new episode yet but from the preview clip they had at the live event I'm liking the new character designs. They seem softer and less rigid in the outlines. I like Michiru's voice but I'm still not sure about Haruka's. Opening song feels like a mid-episode insert song rather then an opening but seconding the ED being the gayest ED ever!

Just ran across this comparison of seasons 1/2 to 3.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Its like they took the manga art and mixed it with the 90s anime art. And I like it.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Please tell me that the Outers' theme is a sweet-rear end violin playing with rock.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

I hope the transformation scenes are better. The stiff PlayStation2 henshin sequences really turned me off. So much lazy animation for such an anticipated show. :( I stopped watching about 6-7 episodes in but might pick back up with season 3. Those compare shots are cool! They're flowing like the manga art but have the crispness of the 90's anime art.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Poop Cupcake posted:

I hope the transformation scenes are better. The stiff PlayStation2 henshin sequences really turned me off. So much lazy animation for such an anticipated show. :( I stopped watching about 6-7 episodes in but might pick back up with season 3. Those compare shots are cool! They're flowing like the manga art but have the crispness of the 90's anime art.

https://my.mixtape.moe/bskgga.webm

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro
That transformation sequence! :swoon:
That roll call! :swoon::swoon:
That fight! :swoon::swoon::swoon:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Woah. Looks like sailor moon's back on the menu.

Also that music :swoon:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
That was just fun. It's what Sailor Moon has been missing.

Also Jupiter & Venus got to do something!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

whoa this show got a budget. Hell yea

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Fluffdaddy posted:

whoa this show got a budget. Hell yea

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

:sparkles: Moon Cosmic Power! Make Up!

Why couldn't the first two seasons have been like this? What the hell were they doing this whole time??

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This is what I was hoping for when they announced Crystal. The intro is indeed super gay, it's amazing. It looks gorgeous, and the story was good for the first episode of a season. We also had a really small glimpse of Kaolinite! :3:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like it's not on CR in the UK, bummer. :(

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Wasn't going to check it out were it not for people in this thread saying it was better. Glad I did! I can only hope they keep up this quality throughout!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Outer Senshi theme will make or break this for me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rudoku posted:

The Outer Senshi theme will make or break this for me.

Definitely.

Here something that's a bit different:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

How's the new episode, it hasn't crashed and burned already has it? :ohdear:

Or is everyone just slacking off on watching for no reason like I am?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I enjoyed it so far. They're emphasising the fact that Usagi and friends are a bunch of gooftroop teenagers a lot more instead of going for that ~beautiful and elegant soldiers~ thing 100% of the time but always being a bit off-mark, and it's doing the show a lot of favours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Torrannor posted:

Definitely.

Here something that's a bit different:

Stan was as useless as Tuxedo Mask this checks out.

• Locked thread