Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

there is some exodus stuff in the original last exile, but its not the focus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check out the live-action Space Battleship Yamato movie too, it's prrtty drat good.

Whoa.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8e9F6CZy4

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42jnNqBHqnA

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

I liked Last Exile, but woo boy did that suffer from Gonzo Ending.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kokoro Wish posted:

I liked Last Exile, but woo boy did that suffer from Gonzo Ending.

What was the whole point of Hourglass in SPAAAACE! anyway?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've got no idea and having that part of the plot pretty much only make sense if you read the back of the dvd was retarded

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

i've got no idea and having that part of the plot pretty much only make sense if you read the back of the dvd was retarded

To be mildly fair, you can at least tell something is not right with the world throughout the series due to the rust metal stanchions protruding from the ground and supporting every clifftop mesa, but that magic hourglass is just a complete disconnect from anything relative the show all you can do is :psyduck:.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

i just watched all of re:zero in two days and holy shiiiiit
season 2 when

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My understanding of the situation is that the re:zero anime was incredibly popular, meaning there's a lot of demand for a second season, but the first season actually cut a ton of content. Content that wasn't very important to the material covered in season 1, but is absolutely critical to a potential season 2, which makes the prospect of a second season actually being made somewhat difficult.

Someone else please feel free to correct me on whatever inaccuracies

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ninjewtsu posted:

My understanding of the situation is that the re:zero anime was incredibly popular, meaning there's a lot of demand for a second season, but the first season actually cut a ton of content. Content that wasn't very important to the material covered in season 1, but is absolutely critical to a potential season 2, which makes the prospect of a second season actually being made somewhat difficult.

they skipped a big twist that happens at the very very end but only because they didn't expect it to be so popular and they wanted to be sure that if it was just one season it could end on a good note instead of screwing viewers with an unresolved plot twist, but they left in small hints at it so that if season two does happen it won't come out of nowhere

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

I thought people were saying it generally followed the LNs pretty closely (though not the WNs), with a few minor things that could easily be moved around/dropped cut out. The main thing about it is apparently this first season was in production for like a year and a half or something in order to carefully pull off what they did, so season two might take a while...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

well, here's some posts from the re:zero thread

blastron posted:

Since all of the novel readers keep complaining about all of the foreshadowing and context they cut from the anime, what did they cut? (Maybe don't put the resolution in the spoilers, though.)

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Here

Subaru - major details
Emilia - backstory and minor details
Rem - minor
Roswaal - major
Beatrice - major
Puck - almost all, very major details
Crusch - minor
Wilfried - backstory and minor
Julius - minor
Mimi and her two brothers - minor
Al - almost all, major
Priscilia - minor
Romswall and appa seller - almost all
Otto - almost all, minor
Patrasche - almost all
Villagers - minor
Satella - almost all, very major
Betelgeuse - major
Witch cult, archbishops, mabeasts, gospel - major

And as madmac mentioned, a death was straight up removed and caused two death loops to merge together with some events from both of them straight up not happening

and

ninjewtsu posted:

is the foreshadowing stuff left out in the anime really integrated into the plot, or is it stuff they could potentially cover in a side OVA series that takes place at various timeframes during the main series? or some kind of solution along those lines?

i'm just spitballing here i guess, i'd hate to see a show this good get a bad second season because of cutting that stuff out, or not get a second season period because of how difficult continuing to adapt the story would be

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The only viable OVA besides side stories about Crusch's faction's members, would be about the daily slice of life events inbetween the second and third arc at the Roswaal Mansion involving the main cast. You can kinda of inject some of Subaru and Emilia's missing character traits in those scenes and at some point maybe Emilia, Puck and Roswaal can have a conversation among themselves reminiscing how they first met. And then at the end of the episode maybe have the Beatrice reveal to leave it off with an ominous cliffhanger.

But everything else missing would be hard to put in at this point, the biggest being Puck and Satella. The Satella missing stuff I could see just getting added in the second season. But Puck is a whole another story. At this point of the story Subaru basically hates Puck's guts and already gotten into a shouting match with him so anime only viewers are going to be in for a surprise at the very first episode of the second season in regards to his attitude towards Puck. It was obvious even without that crunchyroll interview that someone on the script writer/director staff liked Puck alot since pretty much everything negative portrayed about him were taken out. I guess it might have to do with merchandising. In the japanese fandom there's a reason Puck is commonly known as Number One Useless Character in Re:Zero and P in Puck Stands For Piece of Trash.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If there's a second season my guess is it'll be fine. This is already the third iteration so things change, and they literally pay professionals to adapt things.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 21, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I wouldn't worry about plot holes. From what I've heard, Re:Zero didn't make much sense anyway, but if people liked it anyway, I doubt they'd care if it continues to not make sense.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Re:zero makes tons of sense?

Who told you it doesn't?

What part of re:zero doesn't make sense

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like re:zero a lot and while there's definitely things about it I could see other people not liking, for me the tight plotting was the main draw so that's a really strange criticism of it to hear

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Don't read pavlov's posts imo.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Honestly I dropped the show after a few episodes, so I can't tell you first hand. I just didn't like how bad the MC was. But I keep hearing second hand the plot makes no sense, and it's a light novel adaptations so I don't doubt it. Something about the hows and whys of the time travel I think. I dunno, there's probably an angry youtube review somewhere that can give you the details.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The time travel makes perfect sense though I don't understand

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

a kitten posted:

Don't read pavlov's posts imo.

I like pavlov and I like hearing about and trying to understand different opinions too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pavlov posted:

Honestly I dropped the show after a few episodes, so I can't tell you first hand. I just didn't like how bad the MC was. But I keep hearing second hand the plot makes no sense, and it's a light novel adaptations so I don't doubt it. Something about the hows and whys of the time travel I think. I dunno, there's probably an angry youtube review somewhere that can give you the details.

this post means absolutely nothing other than "i didn't like the show and heard it was bad"

ninjewtsu posted:

I like pavlov and I like hearing about and trying to understand different opinions too

90% of pavlov's posts do not facilitate meaningful discussion

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

The Colonel posted:

this post means absolutely nothing other than "i didn't like the show and heard it was bad"

Yes.

Ninjewtsu if you like I could try and find an angry youtube review for you, but that's probably the best you're getting out of me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
please don't post an angry youtube review

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not expecting to hold a meaningful discussion with pavlov's weird second hand opinion. I was mostly just responding in kind with "well actually I think the exact opposite of whoever told you that." It was supposed to be a brief exchange.

I do not want to watch an angry anime review

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

To get this thread a bit more on topic: what are some good animes that are packed full of really intense emotion? Something along the lines of gundam thunderbolt, the king arc of hunter x hunter, or attack on titan? Like, an anime that hits you in the face with a sledgehammer of raw emotion every episode? I'm not 100% sure how articulate it better than that but something along the lines of the shows I mentioned

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Madoka

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Going after plot holes in anime is a fool's errand anyways. A majority of the time it comes up it might make sense with some dumb logic but that ain't a plot hole.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I actually haven't seen that and probably should, thanks friend

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I'm going to resist that bait.

I'd say watch Flip Flappers instead. So far it's like a better madoka. Even I like it, and I hate magic girl shows.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flip flappers is nothing like madoka outside of being a magical girl show with dark themes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It does, however, own, and is getting tragically little attention/sales.

Watch Flip Flappers.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there is, however, a mad max episode

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Colonel posted:

flip flappers is nothing like madoka outside of being a magical girl show with dark themes

this is everything i know about madoka, and also sounds pretty neat, so maybe i'll just watch both

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's a good idea, Flip Flappers is still ongoing though

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Colonel posted:

there is, however, a mad max episode
speaking of, I hope a Wonderland anime happens.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you want a lot of extreme emotion you should try sports anime.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Pavlov posted:

I wouldn't worry about plot holes. From what I've heard, Re:Zero didn't make much sense anyway, but if people liked it anyway, I doubt they'd care if it continues to not make sense.

Great recommendation. Very well thought out. Thanks

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

devtesla posted:

If you want a lot of extreme emotion you should try sports anime.

Are there any sports anime that you'd recommend that sounds similar to the kind of show I'm looking for

I liked ping pong but for the most part I've never been terribly excited by sports shows and as a result haven't seen many of them. Glancing down that op, none of those shows sound like the kind of thing I'm looking for, what show in particular do you think would be a good fit for my ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

To get this thread a bit more on topic: what are some good animes that are packed full of really intense emotion? Something along the lines of gundam thunderbolt, the king arc of hunter x hunter, or attack on titan? Like, an anime that hits you in the face with a sledgehammer of raw emotion every episode? I'm not 100% sure how articulate it better than that but something along the lines of the shows I mentioned

Kaiji