Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is a 1v1 focused list, you know.

You know.

Seriously is there a place where I can see what cards aren't on MTGO, I am seriously confused about not banning Vampiric Tutor/Imperial Seal.

they're on MTGO and cheap as heck.

modern got like 8 additional cards banned after the first month or 2, i'd expect similar here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Finally, the Prophet of Kruphix has come back to EDH!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Wait, Entomb is banned but DT is fine? What the heck?

Btw, is everybody ready to get Vial Smashed? That deck is going to gently caress up everyone's day.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

You know.

Seriously is there a place where I can see what cards aren't on MTGO, I am seriously confused about not banning Vampiric Tutor/Imperial Seal.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Are you just purposefully ignoring the 1v1 aspect or?

Did the screenshot like 5 posts up from the WOTC employee not say "We're sharing one banned list for BOTH 1v1 and multiplayer?"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Attorney at Funk posted:

They're both on MTGO, I've seen them in Vintage lists. I assume that a big part of it is they're both way cheaper online than in paper and tutoring is way less of a hassle with instant shuffling and the ability to see your entire deck at a glance.

They're also literally the most powerful tutors and a gigantic push towards black commanders that others can't match.

And there's two.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sampatrick posted:

Survival is a totally acceptable card and shouldn't be banned. I understand why it is, but it's really fine. I'm excited that I get to play with Nightmare and Birthing Pod, at the very least.

Why is Back to Basics banned while Blood Moon is fine?

One is mana denial, one is color denial?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

They're also literally the most powerful tutors and a gigantic push towards black commanders that others can't match.

And there's two.

Pretty sure Demonic Tutor is more powerful than those.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

And there's two.

Yeah but those are good things. Eat poo poo, everyone else.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

80s James Hetfield posted:

Did the screenshot like 5 posts up from the WOTC employee not say "We're sharing one banned list for BOTH 1v1 and multiplayer?"

Yes but the announcement and article were about the 1v1 format they're introducing and slanting the ban list towards. You then took issue with the format by saying things like people complain about attacking me and not the other person.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I know poo poo all about EDH and the format seems awful to me but I find it great how a commander who specifically references the command zone and looks to be designed for EDH is banned.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

You know.

Both of them are online. Demonic Tutor also isn't banned so they either left off the Tutors section from the article or they're just not banning tutors for some reason.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Looks like they aren't sure which direction to go with the format, they say they want it to be a 1v1 competitive format, but also casual but it also has multiplayer in mind?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Why is Edric banned and Leovold isn't?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Bonus posted:

Looks like they aren't sure which direction to go with the format, they say they want it to be a 1v1 competitive format, but also casual but it also has multiplayer in mind?

There's a chance they literally don't know how to have a separate banned list for multiplayer and 1v1, or they somehow hit a hardcap on the number of available banned lists? There doesn't seem to be a good reason to combine the 1v1 and multiplayer EDH lists, given they already use the normal shifty Sheldon list online.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bonus posted:

They very specifically say it's not meant for competitive play though?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah I'm surprised Tasigur, Vial Smasher, Leovold and Oloro aren't on there.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tales of Woe posted:

Pretty sure Demonic Tutor is more powerful than those.

Costing 1 is huge, and Vampiric Tutor's instant speed is even huger.

Demonic is 3rd, maybe 4th behind Mystical.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

One is mana denial, one is color denial?

Blood Moon is Mana denial and also much less fun compared to Back to Basics. At least with Back to Basics you can eventually get Mana.

Lol DT is way stronger than Vamp or Seal. Putting the card in hand is absolutely insane and makes it way, way, way better.

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 3, 2017

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Sampatrick posted:

Lol DT is way stronger than Vamp or Seal. Putting the card in hand is absolutely insane and makes it way, way, way better.

Yeah, the mirage tutors are all card disadvantage and make you wait for the spell. 1B: Get anything in your deck right now is way better.

Angry Grimace posted:

Them Trest boys are crazy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Costing 1 is huge, and Vampiric Tutor's instant speed is even huger.

Demonic is 3rd, maybe 4th behind Mystical.

Demonic Tutor puts the card in your hand immediately and doesn't cost you any cards.

It's better than Vampiric.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Also lol at this poo poo

quote:

1v1 Commander Friendly League

Entry Options:

8 Event Tickets
80 Play Points
Structure: Up to 5 matches, played at your convenience

Prizes:

5 wins: 80 Play Points + 8 Treasure Chests
4 wins: 80 Play Points + 4 Treasure Chests
3 wins: 80 Play Points + 1 Treasure Chest
2 wins: 40 Play Points
1 win: 20 Play Points
0 wins: 10 Play Points

Pay 8 bucks to enter, play your face off and 5-0 the event and win your entry back and some worthless packs, great, thanks Obama WotC

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

AceClown posted:

Also lol at this poo poo

Pay 8 bucks to enter, play your face off and 5-0 the event and win your entry back and some worthless packs, great, thanks Obama WotC

Those "packs" aren't worthless at all. They're worth quite a bit (like 2 and a half tickets), its that people just like to poo poo on WOTC and MTGO so much they never bothered to inspect what those packs have in them.

It's not a huge prize, certainly, but the prize structure is pretty soft so you don't lose money all that quickly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AceClown posted:

Also lol at this poo poo

Each pack is worth about 2.5 tickets sold to a bot.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

En Fuego is like the only person on the planet to play online multiplayer EDH so it's no big deal.

Pretty much.

I am mostly okay with these. It gets rid of a lot of the fast mana problems, and EDH is a degenerate format anyway. I play a lot online cuz I like to theorycraft decks and its a fun way to troll people with decks that will get them crazy.

Paradox Engine is still around so yay!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Each pack is worth about 2.5 tickets sold to a bot.

Ahh sorry I didn't realise they have pack value, I just see streamers opening them and bitching that they're worthless

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

Demonic Tutor puts the card in your hand immediately and doesn't cost you any cards.

It's better than Vampiric.

I still disagree, but in a sense it's all academic.

Oloro still has all three, and Mystical Tutor. Hard to state how favored he is in the format as-is. Breya too. I hope you like Esper!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Why is *anything on that ridiculous list*

Because WotC has absolutely no idea how to make a format.

Sampatrick posted:

Yeah, this isn't even close. The difference between 1 mana and an entire turn is kinda big.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Why is *anything on that ridiculous list*

Because WotC has absolutely no idea how to make a format.

to be fair, neither does Sheldon

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AceClown posted:

Ahh sorry I didn't realise they have pack value, I just see streamers opening them and bitching that they're worthless

they're only worth anything as possibilities, reality is always a cruel mistress

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mandatory lesbian posted:

they're only worth anything as possibilities, reality is always a cruel mistress

How do Bots do it? Do they just buy them for slightly under the natural EV then make profit by opening and selling on the cards?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Oh snap, I forgot Tasigur and Vial Smasher are legal in this, with Cruise and Dig.

There's reasons to play nonwhite decks, but no reason to not play UBx.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

AceClown posted:

How do Bots do it? Do they just buy them for slightly under the natural EV then make profit by opening and selling on the cards?

They sell to other people who like to play online fake slot machines.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AceClown posted:

They resell them, with a floor of what they're actually statistically worth. I think that a lot of the value comes from long-tail stuff that's worth a lot to bring up the average (Rishadan port), but the median value is relatively low.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

evilweasel posted:

They resell them, with a floor of what they're actually statistically worth. I think that a lot of the value comes from long-tail stuff that's worth a lot to bring up the average (Rishadan port), but the median value is relatively low.

iirc every rare ever is available in the chests, so the median would be like, a dollar

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
Rulings question on activated abilities:

Lets say my opponent controls an Electrostatic Pummeler with 9 energy, they are the AP. Lets pretend they're not playing any pump spells for some reason. If they say, "Pump / Activate Pummeler's ability 3 times", is that an implicit shortcut saying he as the AP is stacking three instances of Pummler's ability to the stack, none of them resolving until I respond? So I can say, warping wail exiling the pummler since it's still a 1/1 (and in effect, if he Flings in response to wail, I'll only get hit for 1 damage)?

This was my understanding on a game a played against pummeler but I was told after the fact that saying "Pump 3 times" is an illegal line of play, since you can't stack abilities without giving the other player a chance to respond to each instance of the ability, since you can't shortcut though "holding priority" as the AP to stack spells and abilities.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Pump 3 times is" "pump, if that resolves pump again, if that resolves pump again." If you respond to them saying that, you do so with one activation on the stack and 6 energy.

You can say "holding priority pump 3 times" and exactly that will happen, but you need to be pretty specific that you're holding priority.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Leovold not being banned is stupid, but also means I can run a wheel effect deck with elves tribal AND paradox engine! YAY

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

"Pump 3 times is" "pump, if that resolves pump again, if that resolves pump again." If you respond to them saying that, you do so with one activation on the stack and 6 energy.

Oh ok, I was wrong then. Am I wrong in thinking that's a bit counter-intuitive though? In my head saying "pump three times" means he's placing the activations on the stack all at once - but really me responding to "Pump 3 times" means i'm actually only responding to "pump once"?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

En Fuego posted:

Leovold not being banned is stupid, but also means I can run a wheel effect deck with elves tribal AND paradox engine! YAY

Can you handle Oloro with a bunch of wraths and counterspells trying to reanimate Elesh Norn asap (which is pretty sap), Vial/Karum's ability to kill you with Force, Tasigur surviving -x/-x board wipes your guys don't, and Titania loaming Strip Mine to beat you with 5/3s?

Because Leovold is being kinda dwarfed by significantly more hosed up things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rynder posted:

Oh ok, I was wrong then. Am I wrong in thinking that's a bit counter-intuitive though? In my head saying "pump three times" means he's placing the activations on the stack all at once - but really me responding to "Pump 3 times" means i'm actually only responding to "pump once"?

It's a shortcut. Kinda like cracking 2 fetches EOT. You're saying "as long as you don't respond this is what I want to do." It's designed to not punish people for trying to speed the game up.