Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

A second season would be great - if it had been planned that way from the beginning. While I do think the show we got was very good, having another, say, 6-10 episodes would really let some of the secondary characters and plots breathe. It would also give the writers opportunity to clean up some of the slightly odd pacing issues in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, if they were planning a second season from the get-go, they probably wouldn't have killed off Yabushige, considering that his real life analog, as noted earlier in the thread, actually outlived Tokugawa, and got up to all sorts of hilarious buffoonery that would have made great fodder for a second season.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The generic title of the show gives them so much flexibility on timelines. They don’t have to do a direct sequel; they could just jump ahead a hundred years into some other hyperspecific episode of Japanese history. They could even keep some of the same actors around — Sanada seems keen — to play different characters. Heck, they could probably do a prequel without the white guy that still has all of the same actors.

The real problem IMO is that creatives tend to do worse when they’re not boxed in creatively. Adapting the book gave the showrunners a lot of useful structure. Getting to do whatever they want is often a recipe for disaster. Maybe they could pick some other fictional book of around the same period to adapt.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, if they were planning a second season from the get-go, they probably wouldn't have killed off Yabushige, considering that his real life analog, as noted earlier in the thread, actually outlived Tokugawa, and got up to all sorts of hilarious buffoonery that would have made great fodder for a second season.

They’re going to introduce Yabushige’s twin brother who was in Korea during the events of season 1. He’ll humbly request they call him Yabushige in memory of his brother.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

JackDarko posted:

They’re going to introduce Yabushige’s twin brother who was in Korea during the events of season 1. He’ll humbly request they call him Yabushige in memory of his brother.

Toranaga's in a meeting with his advisors. Yabushige walks into the room and sits down near Toranaga.

Toranaga: Didn't I kill you?

Yabushige: HUUUUH?! :aaa:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope the second season completely skips the big battle and skips to boring Shogun politics.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Shogun S2 should be the same cast and same story as S1, but they all play different characters.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Same general story but about a Japanese lady in London.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

withak posted:

Fuji's adventures in the west.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I'd watch a show expanding on the cut book subplot about the Japanese Catholics the Portuguese take to the Vatican

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

withak posted:

Blue Eye Samurai Season 2 is probably gonna drop next year, so there's that :v:

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Fuji's adventures in the west.

Some guy named Cromgood asks Lady Nun of the Japans how her kings relegate power to the gentry, Fuji responds with, "Well, you see, I am a besssst nun," which sets up a montage of Parliament all learning to give the ultimate side-eyes.

Nice Tuckpointing! fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 12, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nybble posted:

Shogun S2 should be the same cast and same story as S1, but they all play different characters.

Fierce Creatures: The Japans

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Toranaga's in a meeting with his advisors. Yabushige walks into the room and sits down near Toranaga.

Toranaga: Didn't I kill you?

Yabushige: HUUUUH?! :aaa:

Now picturing there being a cemetery dedicated to Yabushige's twins as Toranaga kills a seemingly endless supply of them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Now picturing there being a cemetery dedicated to Yabushige's twins as Toranaga kills a seemingly endless supply of them.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yabushige but like the Mauler twins from Invincible.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Nice Tuckpointing! posted:

Some guy named Cromgood asks Lady Nun of the Japans how her kings relegate power to the gentry, Fuji responds with, "Well, you see, I am a besssst nun," which sets up a montage of Parliament all learning to give the ultimate side-eyes.

Fuji: "Queen Elizabell, they call you the Virgin Queen. Is it because you would rather pillow a woman?"

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/shogun-season-2-and-3-in-the-works-fx-hulu-1235901617/

quote:

It’s official: FX and Hulu are prepping not one but two more seasons of breakout drama Shōgun.

The Disney-owned network said Thursday that it is teaming with the estate of author James Clavell to extend Shōgun for two additional seasons. The company noted that both seasons are in development, meaning that a two-season renewal depends on how the creative comes in.

A writers room is being assembled and will open in the summer to explore a continuation of Shōgun beyond Clavell’s original novel. Shōgun’s creatives, including co-creators, exec producers and writers Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo, exec producer Michaela Clavell as well as star and producer Hiroyuki Sanada are all involved with the development.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

The lesson a reasonable person might learn from Shogun: TV adaptations of popular books with a great deal of depth and effort put into them will be successful if they have a talented cast and crew; it would make sense to try and adapt further books by the same author or similar works out there.

The lesson Disney seems to have learned: Shogun make line go up so make more Shogun. Put Shogun in everything. Lego Shogun deal. Add Mariko to Fortnite. Shogun / Star Wars film trilogy. Audiences never get tired of popular things and have no appreciation for quality so beat that horse to death and keep going.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Mariko and Yabu's actors come back as their grandchildren!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What happened to making Tai Pan next

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I would definitely be down for more adaptations of Clavell's books if they keep this quality going...but more Shogun without source material just sounds like the same recipe that baked the Game of Thrones seasons 6-8 turds.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

kiimo posted:

What happened to making Tai Pan next
They have all the Japanese crew and cast already. Tbh it would be a waste to change locale now.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Eason the Fifth posted:

I would definitely be down for more adaptations of Clavell's books if they keep this quality going...but more Shogun without source material just sounds like the same recipe that baked the Game of Thrones seasons 6-8 turds.

GoT and the pseudo historical story of Shogun have few things in common. GoT had a completely undefined ending combined with tons of prophecies and varying interpretations of what those meant, as well as a fairly bog standard climactic battle between good and evil. Most of the plot threads in game of thrones ended up not mattering in the end because of the shallow, ham-fisted final season.

By contrast, the "ending" of Shogun has already been revealed. Toranaga wins the decisive battle and ushers in a new era for Japan, and there won't be a scene where omi just picks Toranaga to be Shogun because it will be "a good story" after an 80 pound girl backflips out of a tree to knife Ishido.

These writers are actually good. I'm not worried.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Apparently the thread title is now inaccurate

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Plus GoT had David Benioff who has a history of loving things up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Scarabrae posted:

Apparently the thread title is now inaccurate

TV IV > Shogun - Show Still Here

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man this is totally unnecessary and I'm pretty sure it's not going to be good but I'd watch the first 2-3 episodes

If I had to gues the first season would just be Sekigahara and the politics surrounding the creation of the new shogunate, and the second season would be a time jump to the Siege of Osaka.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I've said ITT before that I think the siege of osaka castle is a story deserving of a great telling, and one you could nominally do building on season 1's foundation. But even if they do that, so sorry, I just don't really trust them for like 5 reasons off the top of my head.

If they're going to go for a premise other than the siege of osaka castle, gorsh sounds really unnecessary

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Let's hope it isn't Big Little Lies or True Detective and more, I dunno, the Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon which I was shocked to be totally into

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

kiimo posted:

Let's hope it isn't Big Little Lies or True Detective and more, I dunno, the Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon which I was shocked to be totally into

I mean that's probably because House of the Dragon is based on stuff that GRRM wrote, and even if he is a fat old guy who is never going to finish the main books, he does write pretty good stuff. Shogun Season 2 would not be that.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Nybble posted:

Do a Blackadder thing where S2 takes place in the 1600s, S3 takes place in the 1800s, and S4 takes place in the hill entrenchments of Iwo Jima in 1945.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

XYZAB posted:

Do a Blackadder thing where S2 takes place in the 1600s, S3 takes place in the 1800s, and S4 takes place in the hill entrenchments of Iwo Jima in 1945.

Yeah or maybe they could do one set in Hong Kong in the aftermath of the Opium War in the 1840s, and then another one back in 1860s Japan, or maybe way ahead in 1960s Hong Kong.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

I still say adapting Musashi somehow would be the best way to go.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

duckdealer posted:

I still say adapting Musashi somehow would be the best way to go.

Man, if people struggled with thinking Toranaga is a good guy, I can't wait for some of the moral fuckups Musashi commits as the protagonist.

I think a second season could work, but with some big ifs. They have history to lean on, so that will help. But they don't have Clavell's plotting brain to tap. I can easily see that writers room being filled with studio hires who have Save-The-Cat brain and won't budge unless there's a call to adventure by minute 7 of episode 2 and an all-is-lost moment at the midpoint of episode 5, etc etc.

What I am betting, and hoping they don't gently caress up, on is heavy reliance on flashbacks. Then you get all our beloved dead characters back.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think my main reservations come from the fact that a lot of things they diverged from the book/history on ended up being dumb. Like Toranaga's son slipping on a rock and dying and not having any other adult sons in the show at all.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

edit; completely misread what I was replying to. No notes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I think my main reservations come from the fact that a lot of things they diverged from the book/history on ended up being dumb. Like Toranaga's son slipping on a rock and dying and not having any other adult sons in the show at all.

The show technically did mention that he had more (older, I think) sons, they just never appeared or did anything in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Shogunate: Show Gone? Not.