Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Insanite posted:

lol, i feel like poo poo like this will have bipartisan support in a majority of american states

https://x.com/DianaCejasMD/status/1788711268548747690

bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I mean, it works; I had started wearing masks a couple of years before covid for this exact reason. I'll take any kind of normalization of masking at this point rather than having to endure yet another conversation with someone in my life about how not wanting to die or kill family members via disease is itself somehow pathological.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
vaxx that thang up

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Haaaaa a wastewater site in Houston is now marking an notable increase in influenza A.

I'm in danger lol

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest
Had a dude passively utter "Your eyes are mucus membranes" while walking by my friend and I while we were masked in a farm store.

It was so bizarre that it took until this evening to piece together that it was likely some sort of anti-mask idea. To be fair, dude was right.

That's been the only remotely negative thing I've experienced while masking, which is nice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That guy had a stick up his rear end, to protect his delicate mucous membranes.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

maxwellhill posted:

hey, updates on carageenan nasal sprays. they're getting harder to get.

If they get super impossible to source in the US there's a bunch of Aussie goons ITT who could buy it off the shelf and mail it to you

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Insanite posted:

lol, i feel like poo poo like this will have bipartisan support in a majority of american states

it's election year, gotta give the public want they want and end lockdowns* once and for all

*seeing another person wearing a mask

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Bixington posted:

Had a dude passively utter "Your eyes are mucus membranes" while walking by my friend and I while we were masked in a farm store.

It was so bizarre that it took until this evening to piece together that it was likely some sort of anti-mask idea. To be fair, dude was right.

That's been the only remotely negative thing I've experienced while masking, which is nice.

next time you go there wear big ol goggles and give him a cheery thumbs up if you see him

Mola Yam has issued a correction as of 03:09 on May 11, 2024

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Bixington posted:

four eyes winning

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Bixington posted:

he was scolding you for not wearing goggles

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Insanite posted:

Not that the law matters much, but wouldn't this be very much... I dunno if you can call a law illegal, but yeah, thanks to the ADA?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Symptomatic sore throat 5 days ago, started RATs 1 daily 3 days ago when runny nose started all neg, lost sense of taste today which is day 5. Today is less runny/not blocked yet taste gone? Not taking any meds. It's gotta be COVID right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bald Stalin posted:

Symptomatic sore throat 5 days ago, started RATs 1 daily 3 days ago when runny nose started all neg, lost sense of taste today which is day 5. Today is less runny/not blocked yet taste gone? Not taking any meds. It's gotta be COVID right?

Might be flu, have you handled any wild birds lately?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Might be flu, have you handled any wild birds lately?

of course they work on a dairy farm silly

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My Australian suburb is chock full of bird life and they love making GBS threads on my front gate which I have to touch to open/close, does it come from poop?

I'm going to get some of those expensive COVID-19/fluAB/RSV tests. $20 a pop is crazy tho

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
that sucks, if you have any paxlovid stocked now is the time to take it

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bald Stalin posted:

My Australian suburb is chock full of bird life and they love making GBS threads on my front gate which I have to touch to open/close, does it come from poop?

I'm going to get some of those expensive COVID-19/fluAB/RSV tests. $20 a pop is crazy tho

I’d go with a Covid LAMP test first those combo tests aren’t exactly accurate. Don’t know if they’re available in oz though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s not quite true.

There’s a small group of “centrist” sickos yelling that everything is great.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:thumbsup:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/2791037/japan-to-destroy-unused-oral-covid-drugs-worth-1-9bn posted:

Japan to destroy unused oral Covid drugs worth 9bn
Amount represents 77% of all oral treatments procured during the pandemic
(..)
Calculations using publicly available data on the volumes of purchases and shipments showed that Japan still held Xocova for 1.77 million people, Lagevrio for 780,000 and Paxlovid for 1.75 million as of March 31.
(..)

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

it's all hella dope and cool

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
aaaaaaaaaaaa

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

We never learn anything

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nothing inherently new in this article, but it does provide a decent overview of the general dehumanization of nursing home residents as well as the the political and judicial game of hot potato happening. Here just an excerpt surrounding that truth, while the article proper is generally more human interest focused.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/nursing-homes-wield-pandemic-immunity-laws-duck-wrongful/story?id=110028264 posted:

Nursing homes wield pandemic immunity laws to duck wrongful death suits
Some families who lost loved ones say they were misled about safety
(..)
While there's no full accounting of the outcomes, court filings show that judges have dismissed some suits outright, citing state or federal immunity provisions, while other cases have been settled under confidential terms. And many cases have stalled due to lengthy and costly arguments and appeals to hash out limits, if any, of immunity protection.

In their defense, nursing homes initially cited the federal Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act, which Congress passed in December 2005. The law grants liability protection from claims for deaths or injuries tied to vaccines or "medical countermeasures" taken to prevent or treat a disease during national emergencies.

The PREP Act steps in once the secretary of Health and Human Services declares a "public health emergency," which happened with COVID on March 17, 2020. The emergency order expired on May 11, 2023.

The law carved out an exception for "willful misconduct," but proving it occurred can be daunting for families – even when nursing homes have long histories of violating safety standards, including infection controls.

Governors of at least 38 states issued COVID executive orders, or their legislatures passed laws, granting medical providers at least some degree of immunity, according to one consumer group's tally. Just how much legal protection was intended is at the crux of the skirmishes.

Nursing homes answered many negligence lawsuits by getting them removed from state courts into the federal judicial system and asking for dismissal under the PREP Act.

For the most part, that didn't work because federal judges declined to hear the cases.
(..)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

As an Illinois resident, yeah, no. Please don’t.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pingui posted:

Nothing inherently new in this article, but it does provide a decent overview of the general dehumanization of nursing home residents as well as the the political and judicial game of hot potato happening. Here just an excerpt surrounding that truth, while the article proper is generally more human interest focused.

Yeah, as a family member who’s had people in homes, this:

quote:

Some families who lost loved ones say they were misled about safety
doesn’t pass the smell test. I know of no one that’s ever visited a nursing home that thinks they are anything but a place to park grandma until she dies because noone wants to deal with her anymore. Of course if you never visit you get plausible deniability! But seriously, they were disease-ridden understaffed death traps before the pandemic and they’re even worse now, and nothing is going to change that. I wouldn’t put my senior dog in one much less let him visit, and if I have to make the choice of home or death, guess I’m going skydiving (and I could probably afford one of the ‘good’ ones. Hint: there are no ‘good’ ones).
Should you be allowed to sue the pants off them for their atrocious care of the most vulnerable? Sure, but all they’ll do is declare bankruptcy and put everyone in them in the street or back home with the people who couldn’t or wouldn’t care for them anyway, then start right back up again under a new name.
Nursing home operators are evil fucks. Literal people farmers. If they could figure out a way to sell their patients for Soylent green they’d do it in a heartbeat. The whole industry has been consolidated and industrialized just like hospitals have, with the same results of bare minimum care while maximizing profit. Covid just exposed the rot, and most don’t want to see it because there is currently no viable alternative.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
The place where my grandmother was did an amazing job for at least the first two years. Around the bivalent times they stopped organizing vaccines though so people had to leave to get them from pharmacies which was dumb. They did lockdown again pretty good for the omicron wave at least.

That place was owned/operated by the county though, so very different than private ones. She never caught COVID and thankfully was able to do pretty frequent visits (with masks) once vaccines were available before she passed for other reasons.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rescue Toaster posted:

The place where my grandmother was did an amazing job for at least the first two years. Around the bivalent times they stopped organizing vaccines though so people had to leave to get them from pharmacies which was dumb. They did lockdown again pretty good for the omicron wave at least.

That place was owned/operated by the county though, so very different than private ones. She never caught COVID and thankfully was able to do pretty frequent visits (with masks) once vaccines were available before she passed for other reasons.

Yeah the private/conglomerate owned ones are poo poo tier, public owned can vary depending on budgeting but tend to actually be staffed by locals. Those are increasingly unicorns though as local government hit critical levels of ‘starve the beast’ budgeting decisions from the 80s/90s and have to start selling off assets that are money drains because lol raising taxes even with three years of record inflation and tons of unfunded mandates from the state.

Sorry my Illinois is showing again.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Oracle posted:

Yeah the private/conglomerate owned ones are poo poo tier, public owned can vary depending on budgeting but tend to actually be staffed by locals. Those are increasingly unicorns though as local government hit critical levels of ‘starve the beast’ budgeting decisions from the 80s/90s and have to start selling off assets that are money drains because lol raising taxes even with three years of record inflation and tons of unfunded mandates from the state.

Sorry my Illinois is showing again.

I think it did get sold off at some point during the pandemic, it just didn't have time to turn to poo poo yet before she passed away.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Not that the law matters much, but wouldn't this be very much... I dunno if you can call a law illegal, but yeah, thanks to the ADA?

idk, that was the state of NC law prior to 2020, not that that means that it doesn't gently caress over anyone who cannot or doesn't want to get sick

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Bald Stalin posted:

This is one of those situations where actually washing your hands afterwards is the answer. I handle wild birds daily and never get sick because of hand washing. Gloves for handling the gate specifically would also work; leave a crappy pair of gloves next to it and use those to open and close it. Replace when the sun turns them to ashes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oracle posted:

Yeah, as a family member who’s had people in homes, this:

this is true in Atlantic Canada as well. also, 🔥

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

That's good.

I want to explain to my nieces and nephews that what they're experiencing isn't normal, and how it wasn't always this way, but what's the point? That just feels like bragging.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Kragger99 posted:

nobody wants to moo anymore

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Shiroc posted:

We'll just pasteurize the dairy workers

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Oracle posted:

As an Illinois resident, yeah, no. Please don’t.

Sup fellow Illinois person. I was the admin assistant/phone answerer for Long-Term Care regulation (nursing homes etc) at the state public health department when COVID started. It was traumatic. I was the only person in the department who would wear a mask. The state did nothing to help anyone in nursing homes. I've suppressed most of the specifics I witnessed. Finally got a promotion to a different department in summer 2020 while I was hospitalized in the psych ward lmao!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

gently caress, thanks for fighting. how horrible

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

Sup fellow Illinois person. I was the admin assistant/phone answerer for Long-Term Care regulation (nursing homes etc) at the state public health department when COVID started. It was traumatic. I was the only person in the department who would wear a mask. The state did nothing to help anyone in nursing homes. I've suppressed most of the specifics I witnessed. Finally got a promotion to a different department in summer 2020 while I was hospitalized in the psych ward lmao!

god I am so sorry. I hope you’re somewhere better now, or at least working remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008