Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2024-05-12/raw-milk-enthusiasts-uncowed-by-bird-flu-risk-in-dairy

quote:

Mark McAfee, founder of Fresno’s Raw Farm and the Raw Milk Institute, said his phone has been ringing off the hook with “customers asking for H5N1 milk because they want immunity from it.”

Lmao, yea, bird flu hasn't got around to getting into humans yet. Let really kick start this into gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

only god knows how much covid I’ve probably eaten

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
cant get flu once youre dead

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2024-05-12/raw-milk-enthusiasts-uncowed-by-bird-flu-risk-in-dairy

Lmao, yea, bird flu hasn't got around to getting into humans yet. Let really kick start this into gear

i’m the guy who will drink infected milk but won’t take a vaccine

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

NeonPunk posted:

lmao

100% of these folks would refuse a vaccine for H5N1.

e:fb

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
there are a large number of people around the world who eat raw eggs too

either as a dessert ingredient, or just as a protein thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRotuJJ25rE

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

there are a large number of people around the world who eat raw eggs too

either as a dessert ingredient, or just as a protein thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRotuJJ25rE

well yeah, before what, e.coli found its way into chicken egg canals they were functionally sterile. Europe and other places still don’t refrigerate (or wash) then.

it’s never been perfectly safe to drink raw milk and I’ve got the baby death certificates to prove it.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://youtu.be/xG1vmGmuf-c?feature=shared

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I’m enjoying the recentish Saints Row and found the industrial supply store

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shiroc posted:

That must have cost thousand of dollars.

:goonsay:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s funny that he goes over how the mild and hyperendemic EBV and HPV viruses raise the risk of cancers and immediately transitions into “could severe cases of COVID do something like this?”

No one ever asked how serious your infection with EBV or HPV was.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Not letting me french kiss animals is a lockdown.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tzen posted:

i still lol about how what set off the us response to covid was the nba shutting down

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Shiroc posted:

:hellyeah:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Dog Case posted:

So how did it go from birds to cows? Did they milk a bird

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1789811545293168856?s=46

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Good ol' Jair got busted a few weeks ago for falsifying his covid vaccine details back in '21 so he could avoid the restrictions on non-vaxxed people, even though he always bragged about not being vaxxed: https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/brazils-bolsonaro-indicted-suspected-fraud-vaccine-records-2024-03-19/

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
To be fair given Bolsonaro's odds I'm pretty sure he would be the one person to actually die from the vaccine, I can't blame him for wanting to die of covid instead

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

These loons are very concerned about bird flu.

Pun intended.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

1 in 4? I always heard bird flu would kill 1 in 2. Sounds like a mild bird flu.

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 11:46 on May 13, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there seems to be a consensus emerging that nursing homes are not worth it but idk. sometimes there is not other choice

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

Platystemon posted:

Pun intended.

remember it was like this with covid at the very start. until it got properly politicized by like march 2020, the conspiratorial right qanon types were all over it, hyping it up and being super proactive on how to avoid it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

We have will get the tools in 2024.

Fingers crossed the FDA approves it in a timely manner! :rubby:

Archived article link: https://archive.md/iHnw8

Follow-up on Xocova/ensitrelvir:

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/japans-shionogi-says-covid-treatment-did-not-meet-endpoint-late-stage-trial-2024-05-13/ posted:

Japan's Shionogi says COVID treatment did not meet endpoint in late-stage trial

Japan's Shionogi & Co (4507.T), opens new tab said on Monday its pill-based treatment for COVID-19 did not meet the primary endpoint of showing a statistically significant reduction of 15 common symptoms of the illness in a global, late-stage trial.

The company's pivotal Phase 3 study (SCORPIO-HR) of ensitrelvir did however demonstrate a potent antiviral effect compared to placebo, the company said.
(..)

Press release on the matter:

https://www.shionogi.com/global/en/news/2024/05/E_20240513_1.html posted:

Shionogi Provides Updates from SCORPIO-HR, a Global Phase 3 Study of Ensitrelvir for Non-Hospitalized Participants with COVID-19

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
these people reach into the ideological grab bag and believe whatever they feel like. it's as if they've never read descartes' discourse on method

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Tbf, blaming filthy foreigners or blaming liberal elites, is a difficult choice for the conspiratorial minded right-wing.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Do we know why it is TYOL 2024 and 3M still doesn't make a black aura?

What is the best alternative?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
They have some in Canada at VitaCore (I use the white ones)

https://shop.vitacore.ca/collections/frontpage/products/can99-black-respirator

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Zugzwang posted:

1 in 4? I always heard bird flu would kill 1 in 2. Sounds like a mild bird flu.

it'd kill that many only if people take mo precautions and just keep living like they do, how likely is that

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Vesi posted:

it'd kill that many only if people take mo precautions and just keep living like they do, how likely is that

speaking of which, when did we surpass the death estimates from that UK think tank that threw governments worldwide into a lockdown having hissyfit? I don’t even remember who it was, Oxford?

edit: ah, here we go. March 17, 2020:

scientists at Imperial College, London posted:

Change course or a quarter of a million people will die in a "catastrophic epidemic" of coronavirus - warnings do not come much starker than that…

The modelling projected that if the UK did nothing, 81% of people would be infected and 510,000 would die from coronavirus by August.
The mitigation strategy is better, but would still result in about 250,000 deaths and completely overwhelm intensive care in the NHS.

The report concludes "suppression is the only viable strategy at the current time". It is hoped deaths could be limited to the thousands or tens of thousands.
The government has always said it is following the science and the science has changed profoundly.
Hence, we should be waving goodbye to pubs, clubs and theatres, work from home and isolate whole households if any one person becomes sick.

However, the suppression approach comes with major problems.
It effectively requires shutting down parts of society and there is no exit strategy.
As fewer people would be infected there would be little immunity in the population and cases would soar soon after measures were lifted again.
This is the conundrum China now faces. Research suggests 95% of people in Wuhan were still susceptible to the virus at the end of January.
The report suggests we may have to wait 18 months for a vaccine, but even that is not guaranteed.
We could be in this for the very long term.
It is worth stressing this is all based on mathematical models. They make assumptions, they are not perfect and what they find is not written in stone.

wow, over a half million deaths in three months guys! I hope we avoided that!

Looks like they stuck with 66,479 with a lot of data fuckery (not counting excess deaths or anyone who died of Covid symptoms but tested negative or wasn’t tested at all).
According to worldometer (which stopped tracking in April 2024 due to lack of reporting) the UK lost about 232,112 over the course of the pandemic emergency.

Looks like maybe lockdowns did do something…

Oracle has issued a correction as of 13:43 on May 13, 2024

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Petey posted:

Do we know why it is TYOL 2024 and 3M still doesn't make a black aura?

What is the best alternative?

Import some Brazillian blues, maybe?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Vesi posted:

I couldn't imagine people just ignoring a mass death event and changing nothing about their life, so not very likely I'd say.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

euphronius posted:

there seems to be a consensus emerging that nursing homes are not worth it but idk. sometimes there is not other choice

it’s not that they’re not worth it; the concept is both sound and for some necessary. The problem is that they’ve been monetized to extract as much profit for as little investment as possible and as a result care suffers and the reason Meemaw is in the home in the first place tends to be because she needs more care than the average middle-aged worker can provide in their spare time and still survive. Thus coming to visit to find her stewing in her own poo poo with a rampant UTI and bedsores, lots of in and out at the hospital to treat what is obvious neglect (and where she’s exposed to even more diseases like c.diff and MRSA) and rapidly goes downhill. All it takes is one fall or open wound or Covid to rip through the facility and oh hey look beds opened up, let’s whittle down the ol’ waitlist.

Apr 7, 2003

My wife's 100 year old grandmother ended up in a nursing home last month after falling. Went to visit her this weekend and bring an air filter for her room (can't hurt). Her body is failing but her mind is still sharp and she's very upset about being there. The place was just bought out by a for-profit so it's a matter of time.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife's 100 year old grandmother ended up in a nursing home last month after falling. Went to visit her this weekend and bring an air filter for her room (can't hurt). Her body is failing but her mind is still sharp and she's very upset about being there. The place was just bought out by a for-profit so it's a matter of time.

Sorry to hear it. Same happened to my grandma back in October. Early stages of dementia, fell and my grandpa couldn't care for her at home, so had no choice but nursing home. She hated being there and would cry about wanting to go home, it was heartbreaking. Naturally, both her and my grandpa got sick with "something" within a few weeks of her being there. A month later she became completely incoherent, they discovered a brain bleed and she passed. The entire time at both the nursing home and hospital, only my wife and I consistently wore masks.

In related news, went to the cardiologist this morning (pre-existing condition I had long before the pandemic) and was literally the only person in the office not openly coughing and sniffing (including the doc himself), and also the only person masking. Many such cases!

Apr 7, 2003

Same situation with masking when we went on Saturday. My wife's stepmom pointedly told her "you don't have to wear that anymore" and went off on a rant about how "covid will be here forever, how long are you going to wear that?" Always fun.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Same situation with masking when we went on Saturday. My wife's stepmom pointedly told her "you don't have to wear that anymore" and went off on a rant about how "covid will be here forever, how long are you going to wear that?" Always fun.

One response is "respiratory diseases have a pretty big rate of onsetting dementia and diabetes even in the healthiest of elderly people. Vaccines stave them off somewhat with flu, but its also a mistake you only really need to make once"

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Cars are here to stay, are you going to wear that seatbelt forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Yeah, sometimes I feel like I've lost it with the masking. But then I'm on Teams calls all week with people spread across the country and there are always people sniffling, gravelly-voiced or out sick. Always. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but I'm basically never on a call without an ill person for the past 2 years.

And this is a role in which I interact with folks across our entire IT organization up to the C-Suite, so this isn't just one sickly team...this is widespread illness. And worth mentioning that this is an insurance company that sells Life and Disability products among other things, so Long COVID is openly discussed and acknowledged here. But still, no one takes precautions.