Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

bull3964 posted:

It's really starting to look like the same LG issues have have plagued all LG handsets going back to the G3 (including the N5).

This is what killed my n5 and forced me to go to SCAMSCUM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Internet Explorer posted:

Nexus/Pixel = good, please god don't be too expensive
Samsung = bad
Motorola = bad
Asus = bad
LG = bad

Am I missing anyone, or is this the general state of Android hardware these days?
Most of the interesting stuff right now is happening in the $400 range it seems like. Also, none of them explode (yet)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Android twitter:

can you embed tweets

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Android twitter:

can you embed tweets

Yeah just paste the direct tweet link

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Android twitter:

can you embed tweets

SMS integration to Allo? :negative:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I dropped my LG G2 on a tile floor, and ever since my screen has been streaky (based on the stuff on the screen, not a broken screen) and the microphone is quiet to the point people can't tell what I'm saying. I found instructions on how to take it apart, but the first step is to take out the SIM card, and I can't get it to pop open. Can I open the phone without breaking it while the card is still in?

Before someone says "buy a new phone," I lost my job, I am already going to be late on rent. Even a $40 Craigslist phone is too much.

My backup plan is get a cheap set of headphones that have a mic on them.

You can, but it'll be challenging, because the case is very tightly closed, and the best way to get it started is using the gap where the sim tray was. Will it not pop out because it's damaged? I've never had a problem with sticking a paper clip in there. It does take a little wiggling around, but it'll come out.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

SMS integration to Allo? :negative:

It's going to be some dumb video montage celebrating Android's anniversary.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Android twitter:

can you embed tweets

Are those Marshmallows, Kit Kats, and Nougat? Since it leaves out Lollipop, I'm guessing it's not a hint and it's just a cooking joke?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

docbeard posted:

I like N's 'reply from notifications' functionality a lot. I don't really care that much about anything else, though split screen has (very) occasionally come in handy.

If I recall correctly, Maker of Shoes, like me, switched to the N dev preview when Nexus 6s on Marshmallow were having that rather nasty bug where GPS access killed your data connection. I think that's since been fixed, but swapping back to Marshmallow out of the Beta program would mean factory-resetting the phone, which I certainly can't be bothered to do.

Anyway, Google's release schedule for new OS iterations has always been a matter of Hurry Up And Wait, even on Nexus devices, so while I'm not happy about the N6 delays, neither am I particularly surprised.
I like the reply from notification, but dislike that doing so frequently doesn't mark the message I replied to as read.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Grumpwagon posted:

You can, but it'll be challenging, because the case is very tightly closed, and the best way to get it started is using the gap where the sim tray was. Will it not pop out because it's damaged? I've never had a problem with sticking a paper clip in there. It does take a little wiggling around, but it'll come out.

Wiggling the clip (in this case nose old cleaned nose ring) did it, but then I chickened out. I realized that if I gently caress something up and the phone dies completely I'm screwed, so I got a $10 pair of IEMs with a microphone instead.

Thanks, I'll probably give it a shot once I can afford a new phone if I break it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wiggling the clip (in this case nose old cleaned nose ring) did it, but then I chickened out. I realized that if I gently caress something up and the phone dies completely I'm screwed, so I got a $10 pair of IEMs with a microphone instead.

Thanks, I'll probably give it a shot once I can afford a new phone if I break it.

I totally understand chickening out, but watch a few youtube videos. It's really quite easy. I've replaced the headphones/charging port twice now with no real problems.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://twitter.com/lockheimer/status/779757830203068416

I feel like we're being trolled now. NOTHING leaked so far has pointed to the Pixel phones being anything special other than their astronomical price. If Google isn't playing something incredibly close to their vest, the Pixel phone is going to be remembered alright, but not the way they're hyping.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Everything pixel branded has been overpriced middling hardware so far. I don't know why they are even dropping the more successful Nexus brand.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

google makes up a chart of possible decisions and deliberates endlessly until ultimately selecting the worst possible choice

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Android Police thinks that Google will be announcing their merged Android/ChromeOS thingy on the 4th...

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow that tweet has me excited. My prediction: pixel is going to be iPhone levels of polish w/r/t user experience/customer support. The os will be different from but based on Android, and the enhancements will be unavailable to OEMs.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
If the merged OS is true, then I'm still wondering if Google is going to go the Continuum route that MS tried and failed with their lovely phones and mobile OS. I mean, ChromeOS is already supporting windowed Android apps, so it could be a possibility with a much more established app ecosystem.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that would blow me away would be free Fi service with any Pixel phone purchased

I'd gladly pay $600-$700 for a phone if I didn't have to pay a phone bill for 3-5 years

Kind of flips the current "get a free phone with our overpriced plan" pitch on its head. And it's something Apple wouldn't be able to match.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

That would trash their relationships with carriers.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Nitrousoxide posted:

Everything pixel branded has been overpriced middling hardware so far. I don't know why they are even dropping the more successful Nexus brand.
Have you used any? The Pixel C is the nicest Android device I've used. I'd gladly pay iPhone money for an Android phone with the same level of polish.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Butt Savage posted:

If the merged OS is true, then I'm still wondering if Google is going to go the Continuum route that MS tried and failed with their lovely phones and mobile OS. I mean, ChromeOS is already supporting windowed Android apps, so it could be a possibility with a much more established app ecosystem.

Merged OS would also mean more frequent updates and less fragmentation

I wonder if non-Pixel phones like Samsung's will get the merged OS or if they'll be stuck on Android 7 forever

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
How are they going to merge OSes when they can't even merge chat apps?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What if they made Merged OS closed-source like iOS

That way garbage phones would be stuck with hacking new things into Android 7 forever and you'd actually need a Pixel product to get the latest technology

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EugeneJ posted:

That way garbage phones would be stuck with hacking new things into Android 7 forever and you'd actually need a Pixel product to get the latest technology

Sounds like a great way for iPhone to become the one true phone OS.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

I feel like we're being trolled now. NOTHING leaked so far has pointed to the Pixel phones being anything special other than their astronomical price. If Google isn't playing something incredibly close to their vest, the Pixel phone is going to be remembered alright, but not the way they're hyping.
They're probably all living in some alternative reality bubble or something.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Butt Savage posted:

The windows mobile version is actually really good. If they had a x86 phone it would be amazing.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

EugeneJ posted:

In that scenario Samsung forks Android and Google gets to watch Android market share slowly dip into the single digits.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Desk Lamp posted:

In that scenario Samsung forks Android and Google gets to watch Android market share slowly dip into the single digits.

What if Google blocked non-Pixel devices from accessing the Play Store

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I don't really see any motivation for Google to sell a phone for that much unless there's a really big new feature(s). They're in the same position Microsoft is with the Surface, where you want to develop higher-end hardware that nobody else is making (yet) so as to not upset the OEMs in their race to the bottom. Google made the platform open source so they could get people on the Play platform and have a lot more people using Google services on mobile. Every single other Pixel product has been an ecosystem prototype. The marketing here implies a confidence in something new, even if that embedded tweet above is probably still super hyperbolic. If they're just gonna make a 700$+ pure Android Samsung competitor I don't think they would've sold Motorola IMO.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

nah they'd use tizen

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

What if Google blocked non-Pixel devices from accessing the Play Store

the only thing this would accomplish is cratering app sales and destroying any good will google has with both consumers and oems. nexus sales have always been low as hell and I doubt the pixel will be any different

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 25, 2016

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
My LG G4 managed to brick itself charging last night. Fan-loving-tastic.

Thankfully it's covered under warranty but for the next two weeks I'm back to using my Nexus 5. It's like living in the damned dark ages.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I swapped the back panel on my 6P, because the visor was shattered and the panel was all scratched up from being dropped. New panel is pristine, phone looks perfect. Managed to fuckup the camera module somehow, pictures are blurry. Damnit! :(

Its always something.

Welp. Will definitely be replacing the phone soon. Hope the pixel isn't as fuckoff priced as the rumors are saying. The dual camera module on the iCrap 7+ is looking interesting though. I need to check what the effective focal length is on the zoom one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao icrap!!!!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wouldn't gPhone have been a better name than Pixel

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

ilkhan posted:

iCrap 7+

:eyepop:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ilkhan posted:

iCrap 7+

Go to the doctor.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Go to the doctor.
He's a bit biased.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If I were a betting man, I'd guess a major fork of the Linux kernel. I'm guessing it has been holding them back more than a bit in the power consumption department. Better support for AMP and offloading stuff onto low power cores for things like active display and motion sensing.