Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Alan_Shore posted:

No one ever talks about Zenfones. I don't know how they stack up to Motos or whatever but my Zenfone 2 was cheap and I seriously thought it was a great phone. The Zenfone 3 just came out and if I needed a new phone for $300 I'd buy it. Worth checking out, and my phone was updated constantly, like every 2 weeks.

What is their track record on OS and security updates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Alan_Shore posted:

No one ever talks about Zenfones. I don't know how they stack up to Motos or whatever but my Zenfone 2 was cheap and I seriously thought it was a great phone. The Zenfone 3 just came out and if I needed a new phone for $300 I'd buy it. Worth checking out, and my phone was updated constantly, like every 2 weeks.

I don't know how the actual phones hold up, but a coworker was telling me his wife had a Zenfone 2 with a defective display, and Asus support was jerking them around for weeks. He ended up buying her an iPhone.

I also have not had great experiences across several Asus tablets and PC hardware, but of course those aren't phones and purely anecdotal.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

I don't know how the actual phones hold up, but a coworker was telling me his wife had a Zenfone 2 with a defective display, and Asus support was jerking them around for weeks. He ended up buying her an iPhone.

I also have not had great experiences across several Asus tablets and PC hardware, but of course those aren't phones and purely anecdotal.

I'm glad it's not just me, every Asus product I've ever had has been a nightmare and their customer support has been trash to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Android Police shits on Asus basically every podcast. Make of that what you will.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

What is their track record on OS and security updates?

When I had mine I got an update every 2 weeks, and it always included big fixes and updates. I was very surprised, way more updates than any Samsung phone I've had.

As for Asus support, my phone never had any problems so I didn't have to deal with their support.

It was a very nice phone for the price, not much bloat and the skin was nicer than Touchwiz. Also rooting was easy if that's a plus for you.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Alan_Shore posted:

When I had mine I got an update every 2 weeks, and it always included big fixes and updates. I was very surprised, way more updates than any Samsung phone I've had.

As for Asus support, my phone never had any problems so I didn't have to deal with their support.

It was a very nice phone for the price, not much bloat and the skin was nicer than Touchwiz. Also rooting was easy if that's a plus for you.

How often did the patch level change? Every two weeks sounds like they were just fixing their own mistakes.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If the Pixel phones turn out to be terrible options at their price points, do you guys have a recommendation for what other phones would be viable alternatives? Is the One Plus 3 good? I'm figuring if I'm spending $650+ I might as well go for an IPhone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

If the Pixel phones turn out to be terrible options at their price points, do you guys have a recommendation for what other phones would be viable alternatives?
None, because no other phone will be released by the platform maintainer for a year.

iamsosmrt posted:

Is the One Plus 3 good?
Nah, that company sucks and doesn't deserve anyone's money.

iamsosmrt posted:

I'm figuring if I'm spending $650+ I might as well go for an IPhone.
Not a bad plan, it's one of the few phones worth that amount.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

How often did the patch level change? Every two weeks sounds like they were just fixing their own mistakes.

Man I don't remember, it was earlier this year I had the phone. I was just impressed that I was getting regular updates, and they were doing regular beta testing for new Android versions. There was a fair fixing of their mistakes but a) nothing serious that I even knew about and b) at least they were serious and frequent in fixing mistakes.

All I'm saying is if you want a good phone to tide you over then seriously consider the Zenfone 3. It's worth a look!

And I was happy the rooting was easy, but that just me.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nexus/Pixel = good, please god don't be too expensive
Samsung = bad
Motorola = bad
Asus = bad
LG = bad

Am I missing anyone, or is this the general state of Android hardware these days?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Considering how much of a dumpster fire the new Pixel phones look so far, I'm not sure hiw they can be classified as "good" already.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

Samsung = bad
Motorola = bad
Asus = bad
LG = bad

Am I missing anyone, or is this the general state of Android hardware these days?

HTC, Sony = :lol:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Considering how much of a dumpster fire the new Pixel phones look so far, I'm not sure hiw they can be classified as "good" already.

I was giving them the benefit of the doubt considering you can still pick up a 5x or 6p for a decent price, and still have updates.

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

Samsung = bad
Motorola = bad
Asus = bad
LG = bad

I don't think that Motorola is "bad" per se, but it's not the same company it was when the first Moto X was released.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

anakha posted:

HTC, Sony = :lol:

Is there a "dumpster fire" smiley for BBRY?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, taking for granted that the Android thread hates Samsungs, do any Samsung owners have cases they like to protect the (idiotic) glass backs?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Android thread: Android phones are ranked on a scale of relative badness.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, taking for granted that the Android thread hates Samsungs, do any Samsung owners have cases they like to protect the (idiotic) glass backs?

My S7 Edge (which I do not hate except for the glass back) is protected by this Supcase case which adds a lot of grip and seems to have decent drop protection. Not that I plan on testing it. I always buy this case for all of my phones and love it. Had it on my Moto X, on my iPhone and on my One M8.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My non-exploding Note 7 has the Spigen Tough Armour case right now and I really really like it.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Spigen Thin Fit if you want something to add grip, get rid of the slippery feeling and kinda/sorta protect it. I buy this one for pretty much every phone I get and I quite like it.

Spigen Neo Hybrid if you want something in the middle. Or the Tough Armor as Mr. CLAM suggests.

Otterbox if you're a hillbilly or a clutz

That Supacase that Protocol7 posted isn't too bad either. I have a relative who I think has one for her S7 and she drops it all the loving time with no damage so far.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 23, 2016

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Protocol7 posted:

Android thread: Android phones are ranked on a scale of relative badness.

So my take away from my question is do not buy an Android this year.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
For what it's worth, the Axon 7 is a very good phone.

Edit: the most recent update with the September security patch and etc was very good as well

1-Up
Aug 8, 2007

Samsung = bad
Motorola = bad
Asus = bad
LG = bad

Huawei = good(?) . Here they got 3 year warranty if you register your phone within 30 days and even cover the first drop damage if its within 90 days of purchase (and complete exchange for warranty errors within 90 days). For those wondering about the Honor 8: god drat its slippery, I think vaseline might actually make it easier to grip.
LG are the only phones I have seen that can get a complete freeze in their software and need to get their PCB replaced, for other brands the workshop just reflash the unit.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

1-Up posted:

Huawei = good(?) . Here they got 3 year warranty if you register your phone within 30 days and even cover the first drop damage if its within 90 days of purchase (and complete exchange for warranty errors within 90 days). For those wondering about the Honor 8: god drat its slippery, I think vaseline might actually make it easier to grip.
LG are the only phones I have seen that can get a complete freeze in their software and need to get their PCB replaced, for other brands the workshop just reflash the unit.

Was it them or some other company that got caught phoning home user data in plaintext?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I believe it was xiomi

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Captain Yossarian posted:

I believe it was xiomi

Ah, that sounds familiar. I knew it was one of those non-mainstream ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Reminder that Google still doesn't have Nougat out for the N6 and N9 LTE. It's been what, almost a month?

5x's are starting to brick themselves from hardware faults.

Honestly, even though Motorola sucks at updates now, their non flagship phones are still good for the money. It might be time to say gently caress the flagships and buy a disposable smartphone and go to a new one when you want the newest Android version.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I dropped my LG G2 on a tile floor, and ever since my screen has been streaky (based on the stuff on the screen, not a broken screen) and the microphone is quiet to the point people can't tell what I'm saying. I found instructions on how to take it apart, but the first step is to take out the SIM card, and I can't get it to pop open. Can I open the phone without breaking it while the card is still in?

Before someone says "buy a new phone," I lost my job, I am already going to be late on rent. Even a $40 Craigslist phone is too much.

My backup plan is get a cheap set of headphones that have a mic on them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

bull3964 posted:

Reminder that Google still doesn't have Nougat out for the N6 and N9 LTE. It's been what, almost a month?

Yeah, being stuck on this dev preview is getting real old. Some hilarious bugs that were cute a month ago are making me want an iPhone 7.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

iamsosmrt posted:

So my take away from my question is do not buy an Android this year.

They're actually (subjectively) good, I was just shitposting.

Don't buy anything from the carrier directly though because Android manufacturers bend over for the carrier.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bull3964 posted:

I think this must have been what happened to mine

They sent me a new one though so all good

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, being stuck on this dev preview is getting real old. Some hilarious bugs that were cute a month ago are making me want an iPhone 7.

What about N do you need right now? Also lol using a beta preview and getting upset about bugs is a you problem, not a google problem.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What issues are you seeing with the dev preview these days? I'm honestly not having many problems at all (aside from the odd runaway battery thing, and even that not for a while now).

Not saying you're imagining things or anything, just wondering what I'm missing.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What about N do you need right now? Also lol using a beta preview and getting upset about bugs is a you problem, not a google problem.

I like N's 'reply from notifications' functionality a lot. I don't really care that much about anything else, though split screen has (very) occasionally come in handy.

If I recall correctly, Maker of Shoes, like me, switched to the N dev preview when Nexus 6s on Marshmallow were having that rather nasty bug where GPS access killed your data connection. I think that's since been fixed, but swapping back to Marshmallow out of the Beta program would mean factory-resetting the phone, which I certainly can't be bothered to do.

Anyway, Google's release schedule for new OS iterations has always been a matter of Hurry Up And Wait, even on Nexus devices, so while I'm not happy about the N6 delays, neither am I particularly surprised.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

bull3964 posted:

Ahh weak. Could this be similar to what was killing the Nexus 7s when they were getting new firmware? If I recall correctly, the flashing was causing (surprise) flash memory defects to reveal themselves.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

For what it's worth, the Axon 7 is a very good phone.

Edit: the most recent update with the September security patch and etc was very good as well

How is the camera post-update?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

Droid Turbo 2 is nice. Sure, you're not going to get Nexus like updates but it's still mostly a Moto phone. It's a bigger phone with a big battery so that takes a little adjustment. The biggest adjustment was getting used to the screen. It's that shatterproof crap but it means its... thicker or something.

I'm a Note user now, so I certainly don't care about getting updates on the exact day they come out. The Droid Maxx was effectively abandoned three months after it launched though, even the special snowflake American variants of the original Galaxy S got better support than that.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Godinster posted:

Spigen Thin Fit if you want something to add grip, get rid of the slippery feeling and kinda/sorta protect it. I buy this one for pretty much every phone I get and I quite like it.

Spigen Neo Hybrid if you want something in the middle. Or the Tough Armor as Mr. CLAM suggests.

Otterbox if you're a hillbilly or a clutz

That Supacase that Protocol7 posted isn't too bad either. I have a relative who I think has one for her S7 and she drops it all the loving time with no damage so far.

I'll try these out. I used to like the Candyshell case but the grips are starting to peel off in the back. I can't recommend them anymore (at least the grip version).

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You should probably just get Protection Plus directly from Samsung if you actually live in a decently sized city, most major cities i.e los angeles and new york, you walk in and it's usually 10-15 minutes for either a new device or a screen swap, it also covers expanded batteries and poo poo when you're out of warranty too.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/P-GT-AKXXT0HC/

They also didn't care that I flashed 935 firmware to my verizon s7 and still warranty it completely.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

azurite posted:

Ahh weak. Could this be similar to what was killing the Nexus 7s when they were getting new firmware? If I recall correctly, the flashing was causing (surprise) flash memory defects to reveal themselves.

It's really starting to look like the same LG issues have have plagued all LG handsets going back to the G3 (including the N5).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nerdrum posted:

You should probably just get Protection Plus directly from Samsung if you actually live in a decently sized city, most major cities i.e los angeles and new york, you walk in and it's usually 10-15 minutes for either a new device or a screen swap, it also covers expanded batteries and poo poo when you're out of warranty too.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/P-GT-AKXXT0HC/

They also didn't care that I flashed 935 firmware to my verizon s7 and still warranty it completely.

According to the Samsung website, that's "only LA and New York", and I ain't moving out of paradise just to get good phone repairs.

e: NVM, their long-distance service is excellent: they ship you the new phone before they get the old one back.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Jigoku posted:

How is the camera post-update?

Daylight camera is still fantastic, I gotta do some work in my basement utility room tonight so I'll test out the low light and see if it's gotten better.