Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I imagine anyone familiar with tab targeting MMOs are going to find the game slow until 30+, dungeons included. But it's no exaggeration that the game really picks up at 40+, in basically every way. Combat skills and rotation, encounters, quest design and storyline are all leaps and bounds better than what you see in the early game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
There are jump potions now if that's your thing.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
The game does start off REALLY slow, yes. Most classes get a little more lively at 30/when their Jobs kick in, which can help.

I don't really mind the slowness because despite years of dabbling in hotbar MMOs, I was never very GOOD at them. FFXIV starting off kind of hand-holdy and willing to explain it's mechanics and expectations is a lot of the reason that I was so charmed by it from the start. In a game that wants you to group frequently, a lot of tutorial time being set aside to make you ready for that grouping felt nice. I never enjoyed doing dungeons and stuff until I started playing this, and now it's one of my favorite things to do!

That said, jump potions are totally a thing. Additional classes also level up faster due to armory bonus (plus the ring you get for doing novice training, plus any xp boosting gear like the Friendship Circlet or Ala Mhigan Earrings). Once you get past that initial boring hump, it only gets better.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've probably capped my GC seals three times over trying to get the SCH book from Sohm Al to drop in the last couple of days. I can get my solo runs down to under 10 minutes. I think 9:10 is my fastest time so far. I could push under 9:00 if I didn't have to wait for dragons to land.

But, if anything, I at least now have full stacks of every single glamour prism so I'm set for life.

Still want that book though. The SMN one has dropped, but I haven't seen the SCH one yet.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Irae posted:

Clemency is good to passive-aggressively let your healer know you don't trust them.

Maybe for triggering divine veil when they are actually doing their job, which is stoning or broiling mobs to death.

I had a returning flower tank in Gubal Hard cast Hallowed ground at 89% life with two stacks of regen on him on the final boss. He then started spamming clemency after I put him at 100%. I'm at ilevel 340 with BiS on AST. It was just insultingHe then popped divine veil and idn't cast clemency again the whole fight.

Tank mains are loving magical in dungeons. Brains smoother than their job crystals.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leofish posted:

I've probably capped my GC seals three times over trying to get the SCH book from Sohm Al to drop in the last couple of days. I can get my solo runs down to under 10 minutes. I think 9:10 is my fastest time so far. I could push under 9:00 if I didn't have to wait for dragons to land.

But, if anything, I at least now have full stacks of every single glamour prism so I'm set for life.

Still want that book though. The SMN one has dropped, but I haven't seen the SCH one yet.

I assume this is Sohm Al hard? Regular should have given you the book at the very least at the 11th run or so.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Ibblebibble posted:

I assume this is Sohm Al hard? Regular should have given you the book at the very least at the 11th run or so.

Weapons aren't included in the pool of gear you can be given for free at the end of a dungeon.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I had a returning flower tank in Gubal Hard cast Hallowed ground at 89% life with two stacks of regen on him on the final boss. He then started spamming clemency after I put him at 100%. I'm at ilevel 340 with BiS on AST. It was just insultingHe then popped divine veil and idn't cast clemency again the whole fight.

Tank mains are loving magical in dungeons. Brains smoother than their job crystals.

If he wants to heal, let him. More time for you to dps.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Shrug and use it as an excuse to throw rocks/mathemagic/stars harder.

FWIW, Hallowed Ground is better used to negate a big hit or the onrush of damage at the start of a big pull, rather than as a panic button. No one in pubs ever uses it this way of course.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Eopia posted:

Weapons aren't included in the pool of gear you can be given for free at the end of a dungeon.

Huh, I swear I got a free weapon before. That kinda puts a damper on my future Castrum Abania runs for the books.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

If it's possible to solo Sohm Al Hard on Scholar, you're not doing it in 10 minutes. Last I tried it on WHM it whooped me pretty hard.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do think that it’s by the first trial that the game starts to get seriously fun. Taking on Ifrit is a pretty great experience.

With the exception of the occasional FATE, the single-player content in FFXIV is really more about the story and the pretty scenery than the gameplay, though there is a certain odd, addictive pleasure to the crafting.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If it's possible to solo Sohm Al Hard on Scholar, you're not doing it in 10 minutes. Last I tried it on WHM it whooped me pretty hard.

Yeah, just Sohm Al normal and, since I knew I wouldn't get a weapon automatically, I've gone in as RDM because it's my best-geared class. I haven't tried to solo Sohm Al hard and probably couldn't. I do still want the tank coat from that dungeon but I've run it and Baelsar's so many times without seeing it that I've pretty much given up on it. I've seen the puppy from Baelsar's twice and still haven't seen the tank coat.

I just want the SCH book from Sohm Al normal because it's an actual book and I think that's cool.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Level 60 dungeons are probably soloable on SCH and maybe SMN, but not fast or fun. I wound up drafting a couple of friendly goons to help me unsync Arboretum a few times, and with 2 or 3 people it's a breeze.

Also, CA weapons are awesome, and they are not a guaranteed drop. I think it was like 30 runs to get the two tomes from there. :shepicide:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Leofish posted:

I just want the SCH book from Sohm Al normal because it's an actual book and I think that's cool.
It's not the only one, several other books/weapons are named after actual books (just in case you don't know about it already)
https://rinhkitty.tumblr.com/post/142841099580/weapon-name-trivia-in-final-fantasy-xiv

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
To the new person, as said the game starts slow. PvP now opens at 30, though, and if you like PvP, try queuing for that while you slog through everything else. PvP in FFXIV has everyone at the same stats and skills regardless of level/gear, so you basically have access to the full package without throwing hours into the game.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Dwesa posted:

It's not the only one, several other books/weapons are named after actual books (just in case you don't know about it already)
https://rinhkitty.tumblr.com/post/142841099580/weapon-name-trivia-in-final-fantasy-xiv

Oh, cool, this person has done a whole bunch.

I've been wanting to do a little series of some kind exploring the mythology and history behind the names of a bunch of weapons. I love weapons with names and have read about a bunch of them in FFXIV. I think it's all very interesting.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

How do I set up SweetFX, please and thank you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I’m actually kind of impressed by the string of poor decisions that led to Cait Sith’s character design. Dude’s more unnerving to look at than the literal army of demons he sends you up against.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Level 60 dungeons are probably soloable on SCH and maybe SMN, but not fast or fun. I wound up drafting a couple of friendly goons to help me unsync Arboretum a few times, and with 2 or 3 people it's a breeze.

Also, CA weapons are awesome, and they are not a guaranteed drop. I think it was like 30 runs to get the two tomes from there. :shepicide:

I've soloed Arboretum on Paladin at somewhere between 300 and 310. The only troublesome part was the second hive wall, which I basically just suicided to nearly destroy it, respawned and finished it off and ran to the ramp to get the adds to back off.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Uhhh, I just realized I have somewhere else to be. And that place is literally anywhere else.

Bonus picture:

It's worth mentioning that I did actually just leave the group after this fight to reasons unrelated to the DPS so I don't have anything else to show. I only turned on ACT after the first mega-pull the tank did when everything died way way too slow and I noticed the BLM spamming blizzard 3 and didn't fire a single flare, so this fight is the only fight I have a parse of.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That's not the worst MNK parse I've see-

quote:

One Ilm Punch

:randstare:

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

How do I set up SweetFX, please and thank you

How dare you disrespect the developers and artists.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Oh look, another Rival Wings team that devoted too hard to the generator and got out played in the lanes. Good thing it was the other team. :sloppy:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

itskage posted:

How dare you disrespect the developers and artists.

and your own eyes

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/7faf6d/all_caster_ravanasta_challenge_yoshi_ps_walk/

quote:

Everyone on stream was shouting "Use Mana Shift BLM", "BLM's job is to Mana Shift", "MANA SHIFT PLZ"
Yoshi P's (BLM) response: "Manashift? Of course I don't have that, I'm here to damage not to support"
After the guest saying "You really ought to have Mana Shift on, just look at the chat", he took off his Apocatasis reluctantly and conformed.

2 Wipes and stream chat suggested to increase the RDMs for heals/rez, only till Yoshi P gave a hard "No". "I'm BLM main, I will not succumb to these RDMs". "The run is good as a defeat if I let RDMs rule this place". "You think I'm stubborn? You can't be a director and producer of a game if you're not stubborn"
Chat suggested an all PLD run might be possible, but Yoshi P quickly cited that an all Tank run has been done. Seems he reads reddit.
Winning strategy to Mateus was keep the dragons as far apart as possible and Zerg one of them at a time with 12 casters all DPSing. "We aren't three 8-man's, we are one 24-man group"
Got pretty close on Hashmal first pull
"If you get the stack marker, please keep it away from the group and die quietly"
Ran out of time so couldn't finish Hashmal
"Plz buff BLM" "y u make BLM weak?"
Yoshi P: "I never mentioned that BLM is supposed to be weak on Ultimate Bahamut, but people keep on quoting this from a translated interview. It is not true." “I mentioned that as a result of releasing new content, there are some jobs that are advantageous to bring in certain content than others." "It's scary that I've been misquoted so much. I guess it's the nature of translation" "We have received feedback and will continue to adjust job balance"

Wonder how fast it'll take for me to just level Bard and put myself out of my loving misery.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Poking around a bit, BLMs are really left in the cold for Coil clears. DRK/AST/RDM/MNK/SAM are pretty underplayed, too, but at least they can clear.

Ultimately, though, "flavour" will win out. SE sees BLM as a selfish DPS turret. So I think we can expect little raid utility or mobility to be given to them. Even if they give BLM a DPS bump, I doubt that'd ultimately fix their lack of viability in a lot of more "difficult" content. And a lot of that is because, to SE, the height of difficulty seems to be moving around a lot in a well scripted dance (which hurts BLM a lot). I'd honestly like to see some more variety in what is considered "difficult", but then again, I have a lot of crazy thoughts. Like how I wish the majority of healing checks weren't fixed via aoe healing.

So really, BLM is probably in the worst spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they did poorly in the next super savage battle, too. As well as many of the other jobs I listed. Their "flavour" just doesn't fit in with SE's definition of "difficult."

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

ruta posted:

Poking around a bit, BLMs are really left in the cold for Coil clears. DRK/AST/RDM/MNK/SAM are pretty underplayed, too, but at least they can clear.

Ultimately, though, "flavour" will win out. SE sees BLM as a selfish DPS turret. So I think we can expect little raid utility or mobility to be given to them. Even if they give BLM a DPS bump, I doubt that'd ultimately fix their lack of viability in a lot of more "difficult" content. And a lot of that is because, to SE, the height of difficulty seems to be moving around a lot in a well scripted dance (which hurts BLM a lot). I'd honestly like to see some more variety in what is considered "difficult", but then again, I have a lot of crazy thoughts. Like how I wish the majority of healing checks weren't fixed via aoe healing.

So really, BLM is probably in the worst spot. I wouldn't be surprised if they did poorly in the next super savage battle, too. As well as many of the other jobs I listed. Their "flavour" just doesn't fit in with SE's definition of "difficult."

This would be far from fixing all of their issues, but a raid wide Leylines would help two fold. First, raid utility, second, it would maybe teach pubbies to not stand on the opposite side of the arena always (something I am guilty of as well, especially during my opener). Maybe make Scathe refresh whatever AF/UH stack you have? It wouldn't be perfect.

I am hella PEEVED fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Nov 25, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Skaw posted:

I've soloed Arboretum on Paladin at somewhere between 300 and 310. The only troublesome part was the second hive wall, which I basically just suicided to nearly destroy it, respawned and finished it off and ran to the ramp to get the adds to back off.

I've attempted to solo some HW maps on DRK but it's so slow that I got overrun by mobs and died. How do you have the patience to solo it over and over? Typically, I just set-up PF w/support roles for glam farms and read a book. I still want Gordia glams but even on DRK no one will join my PF unless they want absurd ilvl reqs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I didn't care to solo all of Arboretum or Pharos Hard but I've done both first bosses of those quite comfortably on White Mage, but it was a very slow endeavour.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ruta posted:

I'm leveling BLM from 60 to 70 now and man, even with the new and improved Enochian it is really easy to lose it just by dodging mechanics for a couple of seconds and be stuck with your level 50 rotation until it recharges. It just feels like the margins of error for BLM are way smaller than for most other jobs. Which is kind of weird since back in ARR they were pretty much the most drop dead simple DPS job.

And since most hard content in this game involves moving to handle mechanics, I suspect I'd just be frustrated trying to do anything meaningful with it at 70.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Increasing AF/UI drop-off time to 15s or so would help immensely.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Thundarr posted:

I'm leveling BLM from 60 to 70 now and man, even with the new and improved Enochian it is really easy to lose it just by dodging mechanics for a couple of seconds and be stuck with your level 50 rotation until it recharges. It just feels like the margins of error for BLM are way smaller than for most other jobs. Which is kind of weird since back in ARR they were pretty much the most drop dead simple DPS job.

And since most hard content in this game involves moving to handle mechanics, I suspect I'd just be frustrated trying to do anything meaningful with it at 70.

Yeah you need to transpose and bind it to a button you can easily press it while running, while also constantly mashing it while running while also knowing the encounter well enough to know when you have to mash transpose as opposed to just waiting.

If you have to use transpose twice during downtime then enjoy mashing it even more since you're gonna forget to look at the timer in the ONE SECOND window you have to actually press it in.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

This would be far from fixing all of their issues, but a raid wide Leylines would help two fold. First, raid utility, second, it would maybe teach pubbies to not stand on the opposite side of the arena always (something I am guilty of as well, especially during my opener). Maybe make Scathe refresh whatever AF/UH stack you have? It wouldn't be perfect.

I don't know how great this would be because I only play BLM very casually, but if I were to change BLM, I'd do something like change umbral hearts to allow you to also move while casting. I'm not 100% sure on this but I think that would also help eliminate the "when is it good to use b4?" question, since the answer would be always. I'd say making thundercloud and firestarter work as stacking buffs that don't expire until use/death might also go a long way.

I mean, basically it's a job that needs to change. It wasn't super strong in HW, either.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

I strongly recommend putting transpose on one of your side mouse buttons. Before I got an MMO mouse I had transpose on the forward button and swift cast on the back button. (All my other magic classes have raise on the forward button)

Aetherial manip and between the lines are absolutely required for harder content. If you do savage raiding on another job watch the crazy poo poo a BLM does in o3s and o4s. I mean, assuming you find a BLM that’s cleared o4s that isn’t on SMN for the time being.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I think it'd be neat if they took manaward and made it absolutely bonkers. like dropped the cooldown to 30 seconds and made the shield value "your max HP" and then had it last like 2-3 seconds such that a BLM with good timing actually could face tank any AoE that did not apply a damage down or vuln (or at least, wouldn't want to do more than 1 of those before it wore off).

Alternatively, I think dropping the cooldown on triplecast and swiftcast for BLM would help a ton. Or just give a doublecast with a cooldown between swift and triple which would round out their forced movement toolset.

Lastly, if transpose actually maintained your full umbral/astral stacks, it'd make situations where a boss is untargetable for an extended period of time much less painful.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

quote:

"If you get the stack marker, please keep it away from the group and die quietly"

This is right up there with "I will kill your god if I have to. Maybe even if I don't." on the list of best FFXIV related quotes ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

People who get caught with the wrong group need to see that quote.

I don't understand how when people are caught with the wrong party, they think they have to stack up instead of dying alone and out of the way.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I strongly recommend putting transpose on one of your side mouse buttons. Before I got an MMO mouse I had transpose on the forward button and swift cast on the back button. (All my other magic classes have raise on the forward button)

Aetherial manip and between the lines are absolutely required for harder content. If you do savage raiding on another job watch the crazy poo poo a BLM does in o3s and o4s. I mean, assuming you find a BLM that’s cleared o4s that isn’t on SMN for the time being.

Yeah do this, I have Transpose, Aetherial Manipulation (with a mouseover macro) and Between the Lines on the 3 buttons my mouse has on the side.

Obligatum VII posted:

I think it'd be neat if they took manaward and made it absolutely bonkers. like dropped the cooldown to 30 seconds and made the shield value "your max HP" and then had it last like 2-3 seconds such that a BLM with good timing actually could face tank any AoE that did not apply a damage down or vuln (or at least, wouldn't want to do more than 1 of those before it wore off).

Alternatively, I think dropping the cooldown on triplecast and swiftcast for BLM would help a ton. Or just give a doublecast with a cooldown between swift and triple which would round out their forced movement toolset.

Lastly, if transpose actually maintained your full umbral/astral stacks, it'd make situations where a boss is untargetable for an extended period of time much less painful.

No you see if they changed Manaward to that then players could trivialize mechanics and that's why we had to murder Manawall okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
TDR: Titan (Hard)
2 wipes, 2 sprouts, just... bad

LDR: Aery
3 sprouts, at least 2 of them were watching all of the cutscenes, no wipes or deaths, 25 minute clear

:psyduck: