Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1790050885248098307

Scientists and the public: they're probably delaying it because they need to figure out what to do with the reamload of data.

Cspam and this thread: they're probably delaying it because they need to figure out what to do with the reamload of data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1790050885248098307

Scientists and the public: they're probably delaying it because they need to figure out what to do with the reamload of data.

Cspam and this thread: they're probably delaying it because they need to figure out what to do with the reamload of data.

So we’re going to make high cases green and low cases.. a lighter green. And also list hotspots at oh,millions vs by 100k intervals on the normal spots. you know, for ‘smoothing.’ Also they’ll only be able to see the pictures data has to be downloaded for them to see numbers. Also only government officials are allowed to download the data unless you show demonstrable need for it. And we won’t tell you what the definition of demonstrable need is, just that you don’t qualify. And if you do, your login and password will come in the mail, four to six weeks for delivery.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Same situation with masking when we went on Saturday. My wife's stepmom pointedly told her "you don't have to wear that anymore" and went off on a rant about how "covid will be here forever, how long are you going to wear that?" Always fun.

My living situation changed earlier in the year, and after a few months with the current household I'm now at only the occasional passive-aggressive joke about how I must be terrified of people, down from the initial reaction which can be summarized as 'masking to prevent spreading illness? What are you, some kind of anti-vaxxer chud?' and I'm now hopefully past the subsequent phase of 'we're not confident that you're a Trump stan, so instead that must mean you're crazy, here's some open speculation to your face about why you might have a phobia of crowds'

The thing that stresses me and makes me paranoid isn't masking and going to public spaces; that part's like wearing shoes to protect my feet, it's reflexive, passive, and I don't really think about it. What stresses me and makes me paranoid is the perception that I'm crazy for caring about not catching disease when I already have a permanent disability from constant childhood illness, or that I'm crazy for wanting to avoid getting other people sick and having them suffer similar (or worse) harm. Our society has managed to pathologize caring, pathology, and caring about pathology, which is a hell of a trick.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The thing that stresses me and makes me paranoid isn't masking and going to public spaces; that part's like wearing shoes to protect my feet, it's reflexive, passive, and I don't really think about it. What stresses me and makes me paranoid is the perception that I'm crazy for caring about not catching disease when I already have a permanent disability from constant childhood illness, or that I'm crazy for wanting to avoid getting other people sick and having them suffer similar (or worse) harm. Our society has managed to pathologize caring, pathology, and caring about pathology, which is a hell of a trick.

"Doctors and nurses are no longer masking"

And I can't say, "They're wrong" without looking like the antivaxxer chuds with facebook medical degrees that I was making fun of back in 2021.

Same with my parent's GP telling them my 78 year old hypertensive mother doesn't need Paxlovid because she was vaccinated. They already think I'm overly paranoid, telling them their GP who they go to church with is wrong about this doesn't get me anywhere.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Looking at getting a nasal spray as I'll be taking my first flight since 2019 next month; I can't remember but is this one of the recommended ones that people have used? I'll still be masking obviously but a bit of extra help for when I have to lower my Aura at security and US Customs will be useful.

https://www.amazon.ca/Betadine-Defence-Nasal-Spray-milliliter/dp/B082331GXK

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Same situation with masking when we went on Saturday. My wife's stepmom pointedly told her "you don't have to wear that anymore" and went off on a rant about how "covid will be here forever, how long are you going to wear that?" Always fun.

sees adult man eating vegetables

“Sir, you don’t have to eat those anymore!”

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Platystemon posted:

Facebook replies on every recipe about how a carnivore diet will fix all ailments.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
On /r/CuratedTumblr today:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Oracle posted:

So we’re going to make high cases green and low cases.. a lighter green. And also list hotspots at oh,millions vs by 100k intervals on the normal spots. you know, for ‘smoothing.’ Also they’ll only be able to see the pictures data has to be downloaded for them to see numbers. Also only government officials are allowed to download the data unless you show demonstrable need for it. And we won’t tell you what the definition of demonstrable need is, just that you don’t qualify. And if you do, your login and password will come in the mail, four to six weeks for delivery.

you're too good at this

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Platystemon posted:

painfully accurate lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Some (potentially) bad news for the Cue users out there:
"Do Not Use Cue Health’s COVID-19 Tests Due to Risk of False Results: FDA Safety Communication"

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices...y-communication posted:

Date Issued: May 13, 2024

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is warning home test users, caregivers, and health care providers not to use Cue Health’s COVID-19 Tests for Home and Over-the-Counter (OTC) Use and its COVID-19 Test intended for patient care settings due to increased risk of false results.

Recommendations for Home Test Users and Caregivers
  • Do not use any Cue Health COVID-19 Tests for Home and OTC Use that you may still have. Dispose of the entire test cartridge in the household trash.
  • Talk to your health care provider if you were tested with the Cue Health COVID-19 Test for Home and Over the Counter (OTC) Use, and you are concerned about your results.
  • Consider retesting using a different COVID-19 test that received FDA authorization if you tested negative on the Cue Health COVID-19 Test for Home and OTC Use and still have symptoms.
  • Report any problems you experience with the Cue Health COVID-19 Test for Home and Over the Counter (OTC) Use to the FDA, including suspected false positive or false negative results. See Reporting Problems with Your Test.
Recommendations for Health Care Providers
  • Do not use any Cue Health COVID-19 Tests that you may still have. Dispose of the entire test cartridge in your general waste disposal.
  • Consider retesting your patients using a different FDA authorized test if you suspect an inaccurate result was given Cue COVID-19 Test. If testing was performed more than two weeks ago, and there is no reason to suspect current SARS-CoV-2 infection, it is not necessary to retest.
  • Report any problems you experience with the Cue Health COVID-19 Test to the FDA, including suspected false results. See Reporting Problems with Your Test.
FDA Actions
The FDA issued Emergency Use Authorizations (EUAs) to Cue Health for two COVID-19 tests, both of which are intended to detect genetic material from SARS-CoV-2 virus in the nostrils. The Cue Health COVID-19 Test received initial EUA authorization on June 10, 2020. It is for use in point-of-care settings. The Cue Health COVID-19 Test for Home and Over-the-Counter Use received initial EUA authorization on March 5, 2021, and is authorized for use at home.

The FDA issued a Warning Letter to Cue Health on May 10, 2024, after an inspection revealed the company made changes to these tests and these changes reduced the reliability of the tests to detect SARS-CoV-2 virus. The FDA is warning home test users, caregivers, and health care providers not to use Cue Health’s COVID-19 Tests due to this increased risk of false results.

The FDA will keep the public informed if significant new information becomes available.
(..)

Specifically this is what their warning states:

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/cue-health-inc-675673-05092024 posted:

(..)
Our inspection revealed that you are not complying with the following Conditions of Authorization in the Letters of Authorization for EUA200248 and EUA210180. For example:

1. Evidence obtained during the inspection demonstrated that your firm implemented several changes to your EUA-authorized devices and implemented those changes without authorization from FDA pursuant to the Conditions of Authorization. For example, documentation showed that on October 23, 2023, your firm implemented change order CP-4166 to both EUA-authorized COVID-19 devices. As part of this change order, it appears that you implemented changes in the formulation of your (b)(4), which serves as a substrate for the reaction and is responsible for generating the signal to detect the presence of the target, modified the (b)(4) and updated the device firmware to add functionality to detect failure of (b)(4), and added a (b)(4) to modify the raw electrochemical signal from the reaction to correct for observed temperature-based signal differences, and that these changes were implemented after your firm received an EUA-authorization for your devices and in the absence of notification or FDA concurrence. These modifications may negatively impact the stability of the devices, resulting in failure earlier than the 9 months claimed on the product labeling, as documents TS0496 and TS0555 observed during our inspection indicated that these modifications were implemented with the intent to affect overall device performance and in particular device stability.
(..)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

ColdBlooded posted:

Looking at getting a nasal spray as I'll be taking my first flight since 2019 next month; I can't remember but is this one of the recommended ones that people have used? I'll still be masking obviously but a bit of extra help for when I have to lower my Aura at security and US Customs will be useful.

i hope so, because the other betadine listing is gone. but previously i remember some concerns about betadine being packaged with different ingredients for different countries, and the american packaging ingredients not being up to snuff. not sure how to tell

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui has issued a correction as of 22:24 on May 13, 2024

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

silicone thrills posted:

Facebook replies on every recipe about how a carnivore diet will fix all ailments.

Liver King lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
turns out i'm lonely because a bunch of my friends are disabled or dead??

or they had to move away to care for disabled relatives. or dead relatives.

but I'm sure it's something about not loving enough or watching too much tubes or some poo poo ackshually

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I present a dastardly plan to disarm American Patriots:

1. Decree that every adult citizen in good standing must possess and carry a rifle, as a matter of national defense.
  2. Don’t do anything meaningful to enforce this decree; just leave it in place a few months.
  3. Wait for a Florida judge to rule the decree unconstitutional.

When the ruling is announced over the PA system, folks at the shooting range will hoot and holler and destroy their guns right then and there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yeah it was a couple weeks of not being able to go to applebee's, not 70 years of policy devoted to cars, lawns, television, and crushing labor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I need to know if the source of this story is Sinclair Broadcast Group (wicked) or the Nineteenth and Twenty-First Surgeon General of the United States, the Vice Admiral Vivek Murthy (righteous) before I can react to it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Gunshow Poophole posted:

turns out i'm lonely because a bunch of my friends are disabled or dead??

or they had to move away to care for disabled relatives. or dead relatives.

but I'm sure it's something about not loving enough or watching too much tubes or some poo poo ackshually

It's a Sinclair Group push, so lol, I ain't reading the article.

Platystemon posted:

I need to know if the source of this story is Sinclair Broadcast Group (wicked) or the Nineteenth and Twenty-First Surgeon General of the United States, the Vice Admiral Vivek Murthy (righteous) before I can react to it.

Making a liar out of me immediately as I had to know. It is both.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 22:44 on May 13, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The only cure for loneliness is gathering at a restaurant or bar after in office work and discussing your favorite streaming services or consumer products.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Heads up, but my wife is discovering today that most of the Novavax in Seattle has expired. She called pharmacies from a few different brands, and none of them are expecting a refill in the immediate future. Hopefully we can at least expect seasonal batches of the stuff.

We were trying to delay so that she was topped off for fall and winter, since she'll be squirting out a baby around then. Plenty of mRNA around still, but I was hoping to get her the better stuff.

If anyone else has leads in the area, lemme know!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

life definitely feels lonelier now that I've seen how many of my peers were happy to abandon the medically vulnerable the instant they were given permission

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

maxwellhill posted:

i hope so, because the other betadine listing is gone. but previously i remember some concerns about betadine being packaged with different ingredients for different countries, and the american packaging ingredients not being up to snuff. not sure how to tell

Betadine Cold Defence Nasal Spray
medical ingredients (per mL): 1.2mg iota-carrageenan and 0.5% sodium chloride.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

maxwellhill posted:

That’s the Canadian site. That’s the difference.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Some (potentially) bad news for the Cue users out there:
"Do Not Use Cue Health’s COVID-19 Tests Due to Risk of False Results: FDA Safety Communication"

Specifically this is what their warning states:
Yikes. Changing an EUAed/authorized device without showing equivalence is a big no-no. Wtf, Cue.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Shiroc posted:

The only cure for loneliness is gathering at a restaurant or bar after in office work and discussing your favorite streaming services or consumer products.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sunny Side Up posted:

We just got our PlusLife unit for $210 after the discount codes and we found out a few weeks ago our friend got hers for $160. Tests are $7 each plus shipping right now.

Are you in the EU? If not how did it get through customs?

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ColdBlooded posted:

if you have enough time to get these shipped to you, here’s a slightly cheaper alternative: https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/flo-travel-nasal-spray-20ml

that’s what i’ve been using. should be the same ingredients either way

Petey posted:

Do we know why it is TYOL 2024 and 3M still doesn't make a black aura?

What is the best alternative?

friends have been using the BNX N95s

https://bnx.com/products/n95-mask-black-made-in-usa-trifold-f95b/

they seem fine. i still use Auras because i have no fashion sense and it’s easier to buy in bulk and distribute (since they’re individually wrapped)

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 23:46 on May 13, 2024

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

are there any good deals on masks going at the moment? household has been more active than usual lately and my reserves of aura and v-flex are both pretty severely depleted rn.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

corona familiar posted:

if you have enough time to get these shipped to you, here’s a slightly cheaper alternative: https://www.pharmacyonline.com.au/flo-travel-nasal-spray-20ml

that’s what i’ve been using. should be the same ingredients either way

glad that site works for you, this post should be provided with it in case there's a problem

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

maxwellhill posted:

glad that site works for you, this post should be provided with it in case there's a problem

oh weird, i haven’t had a problem with them but i placed a pretty big order to divvy up. ymmv i guess :shrug:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Platystemon posted:

lol

Shady Amish Terror posted:

U-DO Burger posted:

life definitely feels lonelier now that I've seen how many of my peers were happy to abandon the medically vulnerable the instant they were given permission

100%

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Chard posted:

are there any good deals on masks going at the moment? household has been more active than usual lately and my reserves of aura and v-flex are both pretty severely depleted rn.

I'm not seeing any crazy deals on Auras. Around $280/case (so $1.16 per mask-ish) linked from here (in particular, industrial safety products, enviro safety, and maxwell):
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/v101348002/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chard posted:

There are 3M Auras 1870+ of mysterious provenance flooding the market now. They’re thirteen cents per mask in cases of four hundred and forty.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Platystemon posted:

There are 3M Auras 1870+ of mysterious provenance flooding the market now. They’re thirteen cents per mask in cases of four hundred and forty.

Link

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I have standards.

I’ll allude to the presence of 3M Aura 1870+ on the Amazon.com marketplace, sold by beauty supply houses in Florida and veterinary ultrasound equipment distributors in Illinois, but I don’t know that I should hyperlink a listing.

LuxuryLarva
Sep 8, 2023

Hot dude with a cool attitude.
So when is bird flu going to cleanse the world of humanity.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The World Health Organization was slacking with their long COVID mod for Dark Souls.

Take Far Cry 5 and give it the malaria mechanic from Far Cry 2 but it’s long COVID.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Platystemon posted:

I have standards.

I’ll allude to the presence of 3M Aura 1870+ on the Amazon.com marketplace, sold by beauty supply houses in Florida and veterinary ultrasound equipment distributors in Illinois, but I don’t know that I should hyperlink a listing.

There's also a seller called Novelty Snacks that seems to be selling a mix of PPE and Chinese and Japanese snacks, which honestly sounds like an amazing store that I would shop at lol

I want verified auras though so I guess 3M has to add snacks to their website.

E: I did contact one of the more medical sounding places and they said the masks expire in 2025, I don't think I could trust the rubber band straps to not be disintegrating on top of wondering if the masks were even legit

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 01:30 on May 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The context to this quote is interesting but long and you don’t need it.

quote:

At one point it jumped into unethical enthusiasm, the same way some medical professionals find diseases that will end your life in new and not understood ways fascinating. It happens to the best of people.

Yeah I much prefer the ethically pure medical professionals who look at the world’s top infectious disease and see “just another seasonal ick”. :rolleyes: