Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PostNouveau posted:

Lotta self-inflicted wounds imo. Had everything he needed to win, then took Libra for the movement speed (completely tanking his dps). Later he declines to take Mom's Knife and doesn't say why.

He deliberately won't take certain items sometimes because, 'they're too op'. Sometimes he explains it on stream essentially saying that it makes for an uninteresting run. He seems to be wildly inconsistent on when he will or won't pick up said items though. The stopwatch is another one that he skips on all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PIZZA.BAT posted:

He deliberately won't take certain items sometimes because, 'they're too op'. Sometimes he explains it on stream essentially saying that it makes for an uninteresting run. He seems to be wildly inconsistent on when he will or won't pick up said items though. The stopwatch is another one that he skips on all the time

Madness when you're in the 990s! He'd already gotten Libra and started the run on its downward trajectory at that point, bleeding HP down the stretch.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I just finished watching it. He's definitely out of his element from either the lack of sleep or other things going on in his life that he was talking about. Throughout the whole thing he was taking damage from really silly mistakes and missing things he normally doesn't.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'll often skip Mom's Knife because it's OP AND leads to super boring runs. If I was pushing a thousand win streak I'd just take whatever made me more likely to win, though.

I've noticed Sinvicta often has bits where he plays unseriously/distractedly and gets himself in trouble as a result. But uh, same here.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

I'll often skip Mom's Knife because it's OP AND leads to super boring runs. If I was pushing a thousand win streak I'd just take whatever made me more likely to win, though.

I've noticed Sinvicta often has bits where he plays unseriously/distractedly and gets himself in trouble as a result. But uh, same here.

I've been watching him now that he's getting close, and I'm honestly surprised he's put together this streak. I think he's right to not take pills and probably right about not taking worthless followers (like half of them) to avoid clutter. But other than that he's got his weird personal ruleset working against him (he took keeper's head today but said he normally wouldn't because it makes him feel like he's doing less damage). His play is not very tight, and he doesn't finish floors, which seems like a big mistake especially early in a run.

He's also exactly like Northernlion in that he'll get an orbital, proclaim it to be just the thing he needs, and then get repeatedly owned over and over trying to use the orbital offensively. I know in theory orbitals are great on offense, but I don't know if I've ever seen anyone good enough to justify it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Having watched a few of his videos I don't believe his streak is legit. He's just not careful enough on the early floors. He goes to 1 soul heart here vs larry on floor 1 for no reason whatsoever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7Q141gS44, you just can't do stuff like that and maintain a 900+ winstreak. But like pro wrestling it's more fun to believe in it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 15, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

PostNouveau posted:

I've been watching him now that he's getting close, and I'm honestly surprised he's put together this streak. I think he's right to not take pills and probably right about not taking worthless followers (like half of them) to avoid clutter. But other than that he's got his weird personal ruleset working against him (he took keeper's head today but said he normally wouldn't because it makes him feel like he's doing less damage). His play is not very tight, and he doesn't finish floors, which seems like a big mistake especially early in a run.

He's also exactly like Northernlion in that he'll get an orbital, proclaim it to be just the thing he needs, and then get repeatedly owned over and over trying to use the orbital offensively. I know in theory orbitals are great on offense, but I don't know if I've ever seen anyone good enough to justify it.

It depends. It is true that, especially with the unreliable nature of an orbital's positioning and the randomness of rooms and enemies (not to mention occasional hitbox fuckery), it's easy to walk yourself into a bad play by assuming your orbital will fix everything. But also you really can clown on a lot of stuff with nothing but a cube of meat if you're ballsy and have a modicum of skill.

Also if you end up with Sac Dagger then you absolutely should be looking to use it offensively at every available opportunity. (And with BFFs it's a win condition, full stop.)

Re: Pills. I think pills broadly trend towards neutral-positive and a hardline "I will never ever take an unknown pill" stance does hurt you in the long run. But the calculus around when and why to test pills is fairly complicated and selection bias causes people to remember the time at 15 tears they took a tears down and spiked up to 20, therefore gently caress all pills forever.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 16, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just had a fun run doing The Guardian challenge. By the third floor I had Book of Revelations, The Virus (in a challenge where you don't take contact damage), BFF + Humbling Bundle + Dark Bum, and Gimpy. I think I was generating soul hearts at a rate greater than 1 per room.

John Murdoch posted:

It depends. It is true that, especially with the unreliable nature of an orbital's positioning and the randomness of rooms and enemies (not to mention occasional hitbox fuckery), it's easy to walk yourself into a bad play by assuming your orbital will fix everything. But also you really can clown on a lot of stuff with nothing but a cube of meat if you're ballsy and have a modicum of skill.

Also if you end up with Sac Dagger then you absolutely should be looking to use it offensively at every available opportunity. (And with BFFs it's a win condition, full stop.)

Re: Pills. I think pills broadly trend towards neutral-positive and a hardline "I will never ever take an unknown pill" stance does hurt you in the long run. But the calculus around when and why to test pills is fairly complicated and selection bias causes people to remember the time at 15 tears they took a tears down and spiked up to 20, therefore gently caress all pills forever.

Sac Dagger is a legit top tier item. But I think your run has to be kinda on the rocks for a cube of meat to be a big deal, unless you've also got something like unicorn stump or book of shadows. I've definitely had some miserable starts that were pulled back from the brink by a floor 1 or 2 cube, though.

I do think pills are probably a net positive, but if you're trying to win consistently I think it's good practice to avoid them. I've had workable runs killed due to an inopportune bad trip or I'm excited. The ideal strategy is probably to take them on a case by case basis but it's a lot less mentally taxing to just say no pills or yes pills.

I guess with I'm excited you could just twiddle your thumbs for 2 minutes but screw that. Then there's r u a wizard where you pretty much have to take a time out.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 16, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

I've been working on the five daily challenges in a row and just died again today on my fourth run. This is pretty aggravating and there's no real strategy besides getting good because it's different every day. Just gotta keep at it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The expansions all polluted the pill pool with so many do nothing options that it just doesn't feel worth bothering with the majority of the time.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I always take pills, and I think you're right about where they trend. That said though, I think he's right not to take them for what he's doing. Over the long term, they increase variance. 95% of the time they're probably going to fall in the range from "didn't hurt me that much" to "helped a ton", but you've now introduced this new thing that 5% will gently caress your run right up. If you're aiming for 1,000 win streak, you can't open yourself up for that kind of risk.

No Wave posted:

Having watched a few of his videos I don't believe his streak is legit. He's just not careful enough on the early floors. He goes to 1 soul heart here vs larry on floor 1 for no reason whatsoever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj7Q141gS44, you just can't do stuff like that and maintain a 900+ winstreak. But like pro wrestling it's more fun to believe in it.

He doesn't stream these huh? He mentions streaming during the videos but he's never talking to chat or anything, so I guess the Eden runs aren't streamed. You think he's backing his save up and then recording a run and just deleting the recording and overwriting with the last save if he loses?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I've been working on the five daily challenges in a row and just died again today on my fourth run. This is pretty aggravating and there's no real strategy besides getting good because it's different every day. Just gotta keep at it

It doesn't have to be 5 days in a row, just 5 dailies that you've attempted in a row. Go to the reddit and look at the dailies post and only do the ones they say are easy. Last time I did it, there were even people who would comment on if a daily is challenge safe or not.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

He doesn't stream these huh? He mentions streaming during the videos but he's never talking to chat or anything, so I guess the Eden runs aren't streamed. You think he's backing his save up and then recording a run and just deleting the recording and overwriting with the last save if he loses?

Mostly these are prerecorded but he does stream them every now and then, sometimes multiple runs in a row. He hasn't done it in a long time as far as i know though

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It doesn't have to be 5 days in a row, just 5 dailies that you've attempted in a row. Go to the reddit and look at the dailies post and only do the ones they say are easy. Last time I did it, there were even people who would comment on if a daily is challenge safe or not.

Isaac Daily Bot seems to be dead. Is there some other daily thread? My advice is to just stick to easy characters and avoid The Lost and Judas in particular (never seen a Keeper daily but avoid him too). Judas is powerful but all it takes is a lucky shot from a champion lil' monstro or gusher on the first floor to kill your streak.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PostNouveau posted:

I always take pills, and I think you're right about where they trend. That said though, I think he's right not to take them for what he's doing. Over the long term, they increase variance. 95% of the time they're probably going to fall in the range from "didn't hurt me that much" to "helped a ton", but you've now introduced this new thing that 5% will gently caress your run right up. If you're aiming for 1,000 win streak, you can't open yourself up for that kind of risk.

yeah. I'm not the first one to have this suspicion either, based on three minutes of my research apparently he's shown really sus stuff onscreen and had to confess to backing up save files for other reasons. Apparently when he streams he does it on a different save file and it doesn't get counted as part of the streak etc.

This isn't like a big scandal or anything, from what I can tell his fans seem more or less aware of this and generally don't care. It's not like he's really competing for anything besides youtube clicks.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

yeah. I'm not the first one to have this suspicion either, based on three minutes of my research apparently he's shown really sus stuff onscreen and had to confess to backing up save files for other reasons. Apparently when he streams he does it on a different save file and it doesn't get counted as part of the streak etc.

This isn't like a big scandal or anything, from what I can tell his fans seem more or less aware of this and generally don't care. It's not like he's really competing for anything besides youtube clicks.

Oh yeah, googled it and people say he's accidentally posted a video before of him dying and doing the "exit out of the game before the game over screen" streak preservation method.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

But I think your run has to be kinda on the rocks for a cube of meat to be a big deal, unless you've also got something like unicorn stump or book of shadows. I've definitely had some miserable starts that were pulled back from the brink by a floor 1 or 2 cube, though.

It's really down to how lots of bullshit in the early floors absolutely crumples just by bumping it with a cube. You don't necessarily want to rely on it as your main offense and clear whole rooms with it, but unless you've got something really broken from the word go it's probably gonna kill portals faster than whatever jank you started with, for instance. And fat bats. gently caress fat bats.

Also the very loose bonus chance to absorb a projectile that would've otherwise hit you in the face is nice too. :unsmith:

PostNouveau posted:

It is pretty much the same calculated risk thing we've talked about before. Though even I take pills pretty cautiously - they can definitely do more to gently caress up your run permanently than 7 Seals ever could. :P

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

The expansions all polluted the pill pool with so many do nothing options that it just doesn't feel worth bothering with the majority of the time.

*looking at phd* look what they did to my boy

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Unless losing 1 heart, 0.28 tears or 0.12 speed will really screw your run I feel like pills are very good in AB+. The stat ups are bigger and reusable, and getting a pill like I'm Drowsy or Percs is far more impactful than those stat changes anyway. Plus you get a lot of extra pills from the tables so if you do get any stat ups or Balls of Steel or Pretty Fly you'll get more mileage out of those.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

Oh yeah, googled it and people say he's accidentally posted a video before of him dying and doing the "exit out of the game before the game over screen" streak preservation method.

is there a clip of this? that's a shame

anyways my personal pill strat is that i'll gobble them up in the starting floors where negative ones won't hurt you as badly and then stop taking anything unidentified once I hit the womb. unless i've already gotten hit by bad trip / range / tears down. if i've already hit them then it's safe to keep on gobblin

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 16, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PIZZA.BAT posted:

is there a clip of this? that's a shame

Nobody grabbed it before he took it down, so I am taking the word of random reddit people here.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Unless losing 1 heart, 0.28 tears or 0.12 speed will really screw your run I feel like pills are very good in AB+. The stat ups are bigger and reusable, and getting a pill like I'm Drowsy or Percs is far more impactful than those stat changes anyway. Plus you get a lot of extra pills from the tables so if you do get any stat ups or Balls of Steel or Pretty Fly you'll get more mileage out of those.

Don't forget oopsing your red health away with a hema pill (which can also be a good thing, granted) or swapping your bombs and keys around at the worst possible time. Telepills also has a rare but definitely noticeable chance to warp you to the error room which can completely gently caress up your plans.

There's also edge cases where a range down can be just as bad as a tears or speed down. Similarly ???s may punt you into a room you were trying to avoid but on the flipside can save you some keys or even a bomb if you're really, really stubborn. Rarest of all is probably eating an Addicted while inside a curse room.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 16, 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd regard all of those as minor downsides rather than run losing. Amnesia, ??? and Telepills are a reason to clear the floor before using your pills though.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

My pill strat with an unknown pill is to run into the next room, dash up to an enemy and eat the pill. Because I'm not a coward.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I basically always use unknown pills, the potential upsides still feel like they outweight the potential negatives.

Also because I still need those 5 Gulp! pills so I can unlock the drat Swallowed Marbles already

ArfJason posted:

*looking at phd* look what they did to my boy

at least R U A Wizard isn't considered a good/neutral pill anymore

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The standard use case for percs and I'm drowsy is IDing them in an empty room and then never seeing them again for the rest of the run :v:. They can be amazing when they actually work out though.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im drowsy might be the best pill effect for sure. its just that theres so much poo poo that can go wrong with pills (usually doestn stop me from taking them all unless situation is especially dire on the daily challenge)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
It would be a shame if Sinvicta's streak weren't real but it is insane to have a number that high with how often the game will just be mean to you and kill you. Especially with Eden starts there are plenty of times you just get an unworkable game. The odds of getting to 1000 games of random starts without a single one being basically unwinnable does get you wondering. It's sort of like if someone goes to a casino and just wins again and again and again. Oh well.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think any games are really 'unwinnable' for someone who's really good at the first few floors.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

I'd regard all of those as minor downsides rather than run losing. Amnesia, ??? and Telepills are a reason to clear the floor before using your pills though.

I would consider error rooming on floor 2 and missing the item room, shop, boss item, AND devil deal only to be plopped down in Flooded Caves to be a pretty harrowing and likely run ending possibility. :v:

I don't think any games are really 'unwinnable' for someone who's really good at the first few floors.

I think they do exist but are actually pretty rare. You have to have the absolute worst possible stats, the lowest possible health, AND roll the worst possible luck in terms of rooms and bosses. Like say, walk into one of those mega troll bomb trap rooms with 1 HP and you don't have sufficient tear strength to buffer it away from you. Or pull one of the rare "gently caress you, you lose" boss variants like 10 spiders Ragman or floor 1 rocky Fistula. (Both of which have ended my own streaks before.)

There is also a small vertical room in basement with a neutral fly at one end (to keep the door locked) and three troll bombs directly in your face. I have theorized that it *may* be possible to not take damage in that room but I have yet to see it done.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 16, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

I think they do exist but are actually pretty rare. You have to have the absolute worst possible stats, the lowest possible health, AND roll the worst possible luck in terms of rooms and bosses. Like say, walk into one of those mega troll bomb trap rooms with 1 HP and you don't have sufficient tear strength to buffer it away from you. Or pull one of the rare "gently caress you, you lose" boss variants like 10 spiders Ragman or floor 1 rocky Fistula. (Both of which have ended my own streaks before.)

There is also a small vertical room in basement with a neutral fly at one end (to keep the door locked) and three troll bombs directly in your face. I have theorized that it *may* be possible to not take damage in that room but I have yet to see it done.

Yeah, if you spawn with terrible tears and 1 soul heart then walk into one of those rooms with like 10 gapers including a few champions I'm not sure it's even theoretically possible to make it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, if you spawn with terrible tears and 1 soul heart then walk into one of those rooms with like 10 gapers including a few champions I'm not sure it's even theoretically possible to make it.

Those are definitely among the most common sphincter-tightening rooms in the basement. And also the oh so wonderful caves variants where if you don't move in exactly the one correct way in the first 0.1 seconds of the room you will take unavoidable damage 100% of the time.

Also, perhaps unsurprisingly, there are rooms that are basically guaranteed lethal to an Isaac's Heart run because of enemies moving faster than you can yank the heart away from them.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Another blog post, again with showcases of a few new enemies, but mostly focused on visual tweaks. Which, uhm, are apparently going to be quite extensive.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Carpator Diei posted:

Another blog post, again with showcases of a few new enemies, but mostly focused on visual tweaks. Which, uhm, are apparently going to be quite extensive.

Whippers whipping continuum tears looks like a nightmare. Tar Boys thankfully seems to have a new tentacle attack. I can't imagine avoiding their spray of tears combined with the new Tar Leapers splash attack.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Just had a loving miracle on an ultra hard run. Got enough money to go into the first floor shop, buy one of two items, it's diplopia. Hit it, and the other item is Steam Sale.

Amazing, now I've got free shop items for the rest of the run. This is in the bag right?

Next floor no reroll machine, next floor greed fight. Curse of XL means you only get 3 shops.

I won anyway thank you satanic bible

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Don't want to spoil how it goes but I'll say, "lol"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTj43m0qW8

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Since winning runs are often boring I decided to spice things up with the 30 minute time limit easter egg. Through the chest, no obligation for boss rush/hush/megasatan. Except blue baby gave me a void portal and I had like seven minutes to spare so I said "why not?". Died to time during deliriums death cutscene :(. Still, im liking the changeup since it adds another level of risk/reward to every action making the game feel less rote.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

If anyone is doing daily challenges I found a random youtube account where a guy uploads a run every day. He's been at it for almost a year now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNuu3FlgwnAFe4kIGBeYcAQ/videos

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Carpator Diei posted:

I like the touch-up they’ve done to make Dank Depths look a bit more distinct. It was always really easy for me to get confused and forget which floor is which, so that should be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Maybe I’m just crotchety and impatient but I really wish they’d cut back on the sponginess of enemies in the new release.