Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Hey geargoons. What's the most elegant and cost-effective way to send the wet sound from my EHX Freeze pedal to a different amp when I use it onstage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

juche mane posted:

Hey geargoons. What's the most elegant and cost-effective way to send the wet sound from my EHX Freeze pedal to a different amp when I use it onstage?

Different amp but not your main amp?

Some kind of blender pedal that splits your guitar into another path which runs into the freeze, and into the other amp. This of course would also have your dry sound going into the other amp until you froze it, but you could most certainly just kill that side of the signal until you want it back. Could be cool to have the frozen signal cut on and off via a killswitch too.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
E: figured it out.

philkop fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 2, 2015

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

juche mane posted:

Trade your Freeze for a Superego. It has a separate wet output. Go from the Send right to the amp. For fun, put a POG or something in there.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
What's a good portable amp modeler I can run directly into a pa?

I don't need a lot of options and different amps, rather one good clean sounding and feeling amp.

I'm running more of a DJ set but with live guitar/beat/vocal looping.

I was thinking of a pocketpod or maybe one of the sansamp character series.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Pro tip: if you have pedals that take different kinds of power supplies, mark the connectors in some way so you know which go where. Bread ties can be good for this.

In related news, does anyone know where I can fix a fried Moogerfooger? :negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Aww gently caress :( Moog'll help you out for the right price -- I'd just email them.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Hey guys, do you know anything about mixers and live sound? I'm just about done with my rig planning and I want to make sure it's up to snuff.

I don't know exactly how I should route everything into the looper and then to a house PA or monitor. The looper is a Roland RC 505 that takes a mic input, aux in, and instrument in. The only outputs are stereo 1/4 line outs.

It seems like my options are ditching the mixer and adjusting all of the levels on the looper, or running everything into the mixer and simply sending the mixer output into the looper as a single prebalanced instrument input, then send the looper out to the PA. If I get a mixer with an effect send can I use the looper as an "effect" and then send each track to it? I'm new to mixers and live sound like this in general so I'm a little lost.

I'd also like to pick myself up a speaker that can be used for dialing in settings and balancing all of the sounds through this rig. I don't know if I need a monitor, a PA, or what. The big thing is that my at home sound through this speaker should be pretty close to the sound I'll get live. I'd also like the speaker large enough where I can play an open mic or small club show with it as my primary speaker.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
for an fx mixer, i find its helpful to patch the fx out into fx, and then run each effect back into its own channel. i dont use the effect returns, personally

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

for an fx mixer, i find its helpful to patch the fx out into fx, and then run each effect back into its own channel. i dont use the effect returns, personally

Not sure if my I/O will allow this. I'll try it out when I get a mixer though.

If I have my own mixer for balancing my channels, is there a way to send control of these tracks to whatever house sound guy may be present? Or could I just let me use my mixer?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Line 6 are releasing what looks like an axeFX competitor http://line6.com/helix/

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Does anyone have experience with Temple Pedalboards? They have you use special plates that stick to the back of your pedals rather than velcro. I like the idea, but I'd rather not have to buy a plate for every single pedal I own if I want to switch some stuff out. Wondering how reusable the adhesive is on the plates. Demo video here.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Finished my pedalboard...

...well, until I'm at a point where getting a G70 isn't a complete waste of money.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Finished my pedalboard...

...well, until I'm at a point where getting a G70 isn't a complete waste of money.

Hey Keeley buddy. It's great, isn't it? I keep meaning to cover up that blue LED though, holy poo poo. I just got that Malekko Diabolik and I haven't gotten a chance to use it at practice but it seems crazy (unity gain on the clean blend is at 9 o'clock!). The silver one is a 4ms tremolo.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I'd like to get a looper pedal for guitar practice, what would be a good one?

Edit: also, something like the Digitech Trio seems pretty ace for practicing, but it's quite expensive and not a looper, right?

Wengy fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 25, 2015

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Wengy posted:

I'd like to get a looper pedal for guitar practice, what would be a good one?

Edit: also, something like the Digitech Trio seems pretty ace for practicing, but it's quite expensive and not a looper, right?

I have the Ditto Looper X2, and it is simply fantastic. Highly recommended if you don't need all the bells and whistles.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Nebraska Tim posted:

I have the Ditto Looper X2, and it is simply fantastic. Highly recommended if you don't need all the bells and whistles.

Just looked at that one - awesome, it's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, thanks :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
For controlling feedback am I just OK to get a volume pedal and then go from there?
Ta :)

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

peter gabriel posted:

For controlling feedback am I just OK to get a volume pedal and then go from there?
Ta :)

Just use the volume knob on the guitar.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah use the volume knob because then you're not tied to standing at your pedalboard. Turn up the gain, maybe some delay and remember that the feed backed note is always going to be a harmonic of the note being fretted.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
What's the power supply of choice around here? I've just been given a couple of pedals by a friend and I already had a couple. Should I just do an octopus cable thing or one of those fancy looking isolated multi out ones?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spamman posted:

What's the power supply of choice around here? I've just been given a couple of pedals by a friend and I already had a couple. Should I just do an octopus cable thing or one of those fancy looking isolated multi out ones?

I got one of these for £30 and it's been perfect:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CP-05-Pow...=item2edf4d6eb8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

spamman posted:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PedalPwr2Pls

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Thanks for the suggestions, so what would be the benefit of spending quite a bit more on the second option? Flexibility? Reliability?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The outputs on the PP2+ (and every power supply in that price range) are individually isolated with separate transformers for each output. All of the cheap $40-ish ones (even if they say "isolated") have a single output transformer and all the outputs share a single ground.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 5, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The one I linked has status LEDs at least, the LEDS turn red if there is an issue with one of the outputs.
But, like all power supplies the dearer ones are best, I just needed one in a hurry and so far it has surprised me in a good way.

Edit: I've just checked the specs and it has 10 isolated outputs, maybe the manufacturer is bullshitting and the reviews are wrong, it's possible, but there you go.

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 6, 2015

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

spamman posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, so what would be the benefit of spending quite a bit more on the second option? Flexibility? Reliability?
had a 1spot, had a pedal that would make every other pedal sound a lot noisier if it was plugged in (even if not in the signal chain), bought the Voodoo power supply, everything's wonderful.

you really want an actual pedalboard for it, though.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

peter gabriel posted:

The one I linked has status LEDs at least, the LEDS turn red if there is an issue with one of the outputs.
But, like all power supplies the dearer ones are best, I just needed one in a hurry and so far it has surprised me in a good way.

Edit: I've just checked the specs and it has 10 isolated outputs, maybe the manufacturer is bullshitting and the reviews are wrong, it's possible, but there you go.

They're bullshitting and the reviews are wrong.

It has a single 18V DC input, and the only transformer is in the wall wart. Power supplies with isolated outputs necessarily have to have AC supplied to the unit.

Also, it's the exact same unit that Joyo sells with their branding, and that doesn't have isolated outputs either.

I should note: isolated outputs aren't really a big deal unless you get some bad ground loops. A lot of people get by just fine with a daisy-chained 1spot.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Schpyder posted:

They're bullshitting and the reviews are wrong.

It has a single 18V DC input, and the only transformer is in the wall wart. Power supplies with isolated outputs necessarily have to have AC supplied to the unit.

Also, it's the exact same unit that Joyo sells with their branding, and that doesn't have isolated outputs either.

I should note: isolated outputs aren't really a big deal unless you get some bad ground loops. A lot of people get by just fine with a daisy-chained 1spot.

I do believe you :)
It's been awesome so far but the plan was always to get a voodoo one really, I'll keep this one as well though as a back up, with the gigs coming up I can't really afford to gently caress around.

And it has to be said that without this thread I'd have been ignorant to this stuff so thanks :)

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The cheap one is what I use. It's served me ok but certain pedals are noisy with it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I just use a 1spot, but I have a small pedalboard and have avoided things that are extra finicky with power.

I may upgrade to whichever Cioks fits under a Pedaltrain Mini, but only because I'd like to be able to send 18v to my Proton for more headroom.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I just use a 1spot, but I have a small pedalboard and have avoided things that are extra finicky with power.

I may upgrade to whichever Cioks fits under a Pedaltrain Mini, but only because I'd like to be able to send 18v to my Proton for more headroom.

I use a onespot, too and it's fine, but I do keep my more current hungry digital stuff on their own power supplies. I'm not sure if this is out yet ( http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/iso-brick ) but it seems to have a better split of high current taps than the pedal power stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
volume pedal recs?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Ernie ball vp jr

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010
Morley mini, though it needs some minor internal nodding for proper performance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I got fed up of being unsure if my Wah was on or not so I have bought an LED kit, I will update when it comes and is probably poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

volume pedal recs?

AMT

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ok cool I'll probably just go with the cheapest choice there as they all seem to do the same job...

Next up: phasers and reverb

Is there any reason to look harder than the mxr phase 90, given that it's so cheap, ubiquitous, and just has one knob which is all i really need

I also want a reverb. I want to be able to add just a touch of reverb to my gain sounds, but I also want one with more play for cleans. I don't want to buy 2 so I'll just buy a supernatural or whatever that other cool digitech one is, but if there's a reverb i could get that has two settings for a reasonable price that would be cool. thanks yall

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
The only real difference in volume pedals will be powered vs. passive. Passive pedals use a pot that will eventually wear out like a wah, powered tend to be optical which won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

muike posted:

Ok cool I'll probably just go with the cheapest choice there as they all seem to do the same job...

Next up: phasers and reverb

Is there any reason to look harder than the mxr phase 90, given that it's so cheap, ubiquitous, and just has one knob which is all i really need

I also want a reverb. I want to be able to add just a touch of reverb to my gain sounds, but I also want one with more play for cleans. I don't want to buy 2 so I'll just buy a supernatural or whatever that other cool digitech one is, but if there's a reverb i could get that has two settings for a reasonable price that would be cool. thanks yall

Going to echo everybody else here, get the Supernatural. Has a couple really fancy settings, and the demos of it tend to be dripping wet super ambient show-offs, but it really, really does do it for a light reverb. I'm still all :swoon: over what a little whiff of the Spring mode does in the loop of my amp for dirty, bit more for clean. The Polara is the other Digitech offering, and while cool, it seems slightly less good for the subtle.