Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Varg posted:

heh Shock Me is one of the weakest songs on that album too

I found this yesterday, death/doom that's extremely my poo poo - https://templeofvoid.bandcamp.com/album/of-terror-and-the-supernatural

These guys rule, played with em in Detroit. One of the guys is also in Acid Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Here's a few EPs that have been livening up my year end.

Sort of Coroner-ish sci fi tech stuff with a blackened touch:
https://teleport1.bandcamp.com/

Some old school sounding death metal from Spain, even if it sounds vaguely Finnish:
https://xtreemmusic.bandcamp.com/album/inner-necropolis
(from March, somehow I missed it)

More death metal, this time from Ireland, kind of fits in with stuff like Lantern or Domains, not necessarily in sound but in good songwriting and eeevil blackened occult energy:
https://vircolac.bandcamp.com/album/the-cursed-travails-of-the-demeter

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

gently caress yes!

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

yeah baroness are cool & good but purple sucked rear end

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

Temple of Void are dope. Detroit needs more good metal bands.

Best band in Detroit right now: https://euphoriadetroit.bandcamp.com/releases

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

Mr. Pickles posted:

yeah baroness are cool & good but purple sucked rear end

:chloe:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Baroness are good, purple is good, and I can't wait to see them live Friday night.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

realbez posted:

Baroness are good, purple is good, and I can't wait to see them live Friday night.

Tonight here

We Lost The Sea opening for them too which will be great

Shock Me is such a terrible choice.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Shock Me was the big single so I don't know what y'all expected.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I really like Shock Me :shrug: the whole album is great but yeah it's a good song, shouldn't be a surprise

In other news I discovered Orbit Culture yesterday and I am hooked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FMW2uIsv3k

https://orbitculture.bandcamp.com/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

dang their best album too

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Shock Me was the big single so I don't know what y'all expected.

Chlorine and wine, unironically the only song I liked from the whole album

I'm a big fan and perhaps my expectation was too high, but cmon - they named that lovely piece Fugue? For what?? its spineless. Purple was a serious nope

Anyway, have fun at those shows goons, I hope they play the poo poo out of red and blue for you

Silvera loving owns though, I hope Gojira get that grammy

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Rudest Buddhist posted:

Holy lord! Vektor blew my mind last night, I'm still recovering. Also Witchhaven, Black Fast, and Solar Wimp were dope as hell.

They Played:

Terminal Redux
In it's
Entirety
Holy poo poo
Also a three song encore:
Astroid
Tetrastructal Minds
Some Circle Pit ripper?

that last one would be Hunger for Violence

holy poo poo that was like 8 pages back lol

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just your regularly scheduled reminder to listen to this amazing album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnZRnNobWVA

I love it so much.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I also thoroughly disliked Purple. Also Green and Yellow.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

nerve posted:

I also thoroughly disliked Purple. Also Green and Yellow.

Yeah, but at least they managed to ape Mastodon's poo poo career trajectory as well

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a fleshy snood posted:

Yeah, but at least they managed to ape Mastodon's poo poo career trajectory as well
Are you calling Once More 'Round the Sun bad?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

It's decent, but compared to the first four albums it's a shitpile.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Mr. Pickles posted:

Anyway, have fun at those shows goons, I hope they play the poo poo out of red and blue for you

I saw Baroness in August and the set was very heavy on Purple and Yellow & Green unfortunately. They only played one song from Blue (The Gnashing) and one from Red (Isak).

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

It's decent, but compared to the first four albums it's a shitpile.
I've yet to listen to more than Sun, Leviathan, and Crack the Skye, but I prefer Sun over Skye and even over Leviathan to an extent.

Heh, Sun over Sky...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

I've yet to listen to more than Sun, Leviathan, and Crack the Skye, but I prefer Sun over Skye and even over Leviathan to an extent.

Heh, Sun over Sky...

I regret to inform you that this opinion is bad :(

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I regret to inform you that this opinion is bad :(
As I figured. Oh, well.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

symbolic posted:

It's not terrible or anything, but relative to Remission through Crack the Skye, it's nowhere near the same level

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Purple/Sun are the band's best albums.

I'm fully expecting Mastodon to drop some new album news soon. They've been working on it for a while now.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I quite liked Once More 'Round the Sun. It showcased the band's maturing production values and the increased tightness of their songwriting, in addition to melting your face off with tremendous riffs. It's not as raw as the early stuff, and if rawness is what you like then I can see why someone would prefer the early albums. But it's not a bad album by any means, and in fact it's really good.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I listened to both Round the Sun and Purple heavily for about a week straight and then forgot about them for months. Sadly this has also happened with the last few Devin Townsend albums.. I think I'm just not into prog much anymore

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Van Dis posted:

I quite liked Once More 'Round the Sun. It showcased the band's maturing production values and the increased tightness of their songwriting, in addition to melting your face off with tremendous riffs. It's not as raw as the early stuff, and if rawness is what you like then I can see why someone would prefer the early albums. But it's not a bad album by any means, and in fact it's really good.

Framing it as simply rawness versus polish is dismissive of how brilliant and often inventive the band was up until The Hunter imo

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
ah yes, Mastodon/Baroness/Gojira discussion. Keep it up folks

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Magma went over everyone's heads and has some of the best metal riffs of 2016. Also the drums.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Magma went over everyone's heads and has some of the best metal riffs of 2016. Also the drums.

nah

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Framing it as simply rawness versus polish is dismissive of how brilliant and often inventive the band was up until The Hunter imo

You're right, that's too reductive. I don't think Round the Sun is any less brilliant than their earlier work, though I would agree that it trades some of the inventiveness for polish. That isn't to say that the songs are bad at all, though. Chimes at Midnight, Aunt Lisa, High Road, these are all excellent tunes with great riffs and solid usage of modern song structure. One of the things I really like about Mastodon's evolution is how they've learned to use the full dynamic range of their sound in even and measured ways. High Road is a good example of this, since each instrument layers over and complements the others to make a full sound that doesn't hide any of the ingredients. Their early stuff is great but doesn't do this quite as well, in my opinion.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

symbolic posted:

Heh, Sun over Sky...

this is the best mastodon album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V87Fg7UE5A

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Moundgarden posted:

I really like Shock Me :shrug: the whole album is great but yeah it's a good song, shouldn't be a surprise

In other news I discovered Orbit Culture yesterday and I am hooked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FMW2uIsv3k

https://orbitculture.bandcamp.com/

Digging this, thanks.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Yes

symbolic posted:

Heh, Sun over Sky...

if you enjoy mastodon's sound to any extent you should really listen to the BLOOD MOUNTAIN asap (and try not to soil and/or injure yourself in the process)

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm really glad this thread told me to listen to Blood Incantation. Thank you for reinvigorating my interest in DM.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mr. Pickles posted:

if you enjoy mastodon's sound to any extent you should really listen to the BLOOD MOUNTAIN asap (and try not to soil and/or injure yourself in the process)
I think I started to listen to Blood Mountain but my computer automatically updated or something in the middle of it and I never bothered to go back to it. I'm going to now.

Faffel posted:

I'm really glad this thread told me to listen to Blood Incantation. Thank you for reinvigorating my interest in DM.
Starspawn is very cool and good.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This album is awesome.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Thrashing speed metal with a vocalist who sounds like early 80s Jon Oliva. (His high notes, however, are, uh ... well, he tries.)

https://armory417.bandcamp.com/

And on the reissue front:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Von Sloneker posted:

And on the reissue front:

Goddamn. Nuclear Winter Records was going to re-release this like, 2 years ago or something. Glad it's finally happening. If you don't have this, get it. It's one of the best dm albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

My 2016 10 best albums:

1. Be'lakor - Vessels
2. Insomnium - Winter's Gate
3. Inquisition - Bloodshed Across The Empyrean Altar Beyond The Celestial Zenith
4. Witchcraft - Nucleus
5. Anciients - Voice of the Void
6. Vektor - Terminal Redux
7. Megadeth - Dystopia
8. Fallujah - Dreamless
9. Testament - Brotherhood of the Snake
10. Anaal Nathrakh - The Whole of the Law