Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

glynnenstein posted:

My problems with photo enforcement are all about the the lack and abuse of due process involved. In a perfect world, photo enforcement is ideal, but in reality...

A camera usually excludes the context of a situation, is treated as infallible, and uses a system that notifies of an alleged violation long enough after it has occurred that the accused won't be able to remember details that might exonerate.

Also things like: the Villiage of Chevy Chase MD has 6 speed cameras along 5 blocks of Connecticut Ave just outside Washington, DC. Most would consider a single ticket for a car that speeds along 4 blocks of road perfectly reasonable, but here you will receive 3 $40citations. Police also still patrol the road and have pulled over and ticketed drivers who also just got a camera fine for the same violation.

Most places cameras have some issues, but I do like it when they put them covering schools zones and other areas where you really don't want speeding and advertise there presence so everyone knows they're there. It might not make much money (which is probably why it isn't very common in the US), but it does slow down a lot of people who would otherwise not give a poo poo. Northern Europe seemed to use them like this a lot and people were always well behaved around schools.

E: New page. Uhh....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EHwYOfY94

-Zydeco- fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

"It's so, SO unfair that cops and local authorities are enforcing speeding laws intended to prevent people from dying!"

*weeps for American liberties*

:911:

No most speed limits in municipal areas are set based on revenue generation and whining from homeowners at the detriment of safety and the traffic engineers in A/T will gladly tell you so and provide examples and peer reviewed studies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM.... I'm actually NOT bothered by this avatar

-Zydeco- posted:

Most places cameras have some issues, but I do like it when they put them covering schools zones and other areas where you really don't want speeding and advertise there presence so everyone knows they're there. It might not make much money (which is probably why it isn't very common in the US), but it does slow down a lot of people who would otherwise not give a poo poo. Northern Europe seemed to use them like this a lot and people were always well behaved around schools.

E: New page. Uhh....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EHwYOfY94

Aaaaaand that is exactly why you always slam the engines to full throttle just as you hit the deck in a carrier landing.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Is it legal to wear a mask inside a vehicle?

I was listening to a “Court Appointed” episode about the whole Creepy Clowns thing, and there was a lot of discussion about the legality of wearing masks in public.

I did a little digging and it varies a lot from state to state. I believe in some states of the key things is wearing a mask in public WHILE committing a crime. A lot of the laws came out when the KKK began to rise in prominence.

(Don’t think they said anything about burn victims, hijabs, people with very severe immune system diseases, or fursuits.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 3, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Don't even need a mask, just a wig and a groucho marx nose and you're good to go

Kibayasu posted:

I'd say this is a great idea but it still probably won't work on the people it is for.

Just slap some hooks on there so it opens the vehicles like a sardine can!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Cable Guy posted:

Where the corridors are gold....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_zzTQFV3o

Edit: It's weird. In the vid he say #2 was shut down after the leak in '86; wiki says it shut down in '91 after a fire...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_Nuclear_Power_Plant#Plant_shutdown_and_decommissioning

the radiation messes with computer chips so its hard to keep track of dates properly around there

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
I think this hasn't been posted yet...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3gsmDx6Nig

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008
Patterson UTI 219 blow out

They were coming out of the hole for a bit trip, and it was not taking fluid. As pipe comes out of the hole, its displacement must be replaced by fluid to keep the hydrostatic pressure from dropping. They thought that the well was ballooning and that they didn't have a well control situation on their hands. They came all the way out (got on bank), closed the blind rams while they changed the bit. Blind rams close off and seal the hole completely, as opposed to pipe rams which close around pipe in the hole.

It turns out that there was a kick in the well and that a gas bubble was migrating up the well. They finished changing the bit and opened up the blind rams. The pressure had built up considerably under the blind rams and there would have been a massive eruption of drilling fluid and gas when opened. Ignition would have probably been caused by a breaking light, resulting in a serious incident that resulted in loss of life, loss of equipment, probable loss of the well and heavy damage to the environment.

I can almost guarantee that someone said 'gently caress it, you're / we're ok. You / I'll keep pulling'.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

And for those of us who don't work in that industry, those words mean what?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cakesmith handyman posted:

If I’m translating correctly:

Spinny part of drill needed to be changed. When pulling drill out, volume of drill should be replaced by water. Was instead replaced by large amounts of flammable gas. When they opened the drill to replace the drill, the gas escaped in a flume, probably broke a light bulb, which ignited the gas, resulting in the picture.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLo-JAnfR78&t=51s

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I believe I can fly

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Old Balls McGee posted:

Patterson UTI 219 blow out

They were coming out of the hole for a bit trip, and it was not taking fluid. As pipe comes out of the hole, its displacement must be replaced by fluid to keep the hydrostatic pressure from dropping. They thought that the well was ballooning and that they didn't have a well control situation on their hands. They came all the way out (got on bank), closed the blind rams while they changed the bit. Blind rams close off and seal the hole completely, as opposed to pipe rams which close around pipe in the hole.

It turns out that there was a kick in the well and that a gas bubble was migrating up the well. They finished changing the bit and opened up the blind rams. The pressure had built up considerably under the blind rams and there would have been a massive eruption of drilling fluid and gas when opened. Ignition would have probably been caused by a breaking light, resulting in a serious incident that resulted in loss of life, loss of equipment, probable loss of the well and heavy damage to the environment.

I can almost guarantee that someone said 'gently caress it, you're / we're ok. You / I'll keep pulling'.

UTIs tend to burn like hell.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Whooping Crabs posted:

I believe I can fly

Put it in reverse and he's a super hero jumping in to cap a dangerous open manhole that's threatening citizens with a horrendous column of fire.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Azhais posted:

Don't even need a mask, just a wig and a groucho marx nose and you're good to go

Just slap some hooks on there so it opens the vehicles like a sardine can!

Don't need that stuff either, just rub lemon juice on your face. I mean it's invisible ink after all.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

:pwn:

RIP poor S13.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

It means WE’RE SITTING ON AN OCEAN OF OIL!

Is HW OK?

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

I'm never really sure how in depth I should go into this sort of thing. I should also mention that I do this in Canada, so our regulations, practises and the underground formations we go through are very different than down south.

During normal drilling operations, we don't ever want to see gas. An unplanned influx of formation fluid in to the well bore is called a kick, and an uncontrolled kick is a blow out. Our primary way of keeping it down there (primary method of well control) is the hydrostatic pressure exerted by the drilling fluid, or mud. It's a good idea to keep the part of the hole outside of the pipe to the hole wall (the annulus) full all of the time. If a kick does happen, we have a stack of blow out preventers (bops) on top of the well that are actuated by hydraulic fluid stored under pressure. The top is an annular, or bag. It's basically a big hunk of rubber that's being pushed on by a big rear end ram. It can close around any diameter of pipe, but it's slow. We then have a set of pipe rams, which are much faster to close but they close and seal on a certain diameter of pipe, say 4.5" pipe, and that's it. Next is a set of blind rams, and they completely close off and seal the hole when there is no pipe in the bops. Under this we have a hydraulically controlled relief valve (HCR) which opens and then diverts the fluid coming out of the hole to a manifold with chokes so that the kick can be circulated out and controlled as it comes to surface. The gas is also burnt off at a flare tank. Boyle's Law comes into effect here.

Pictures! Of BOPs!

If you pull pipe out of the hole, the fluid level of the annulus drops, and therefore hydrostatic pressure is reduced. We calculate the displacement of the pipe being pulled out of the hole, write it down and then fill the hole with fluid, record that and compare it to the calculated amount. This is recorded in a trip sheet, as taking pipe out of the hole is called tripping out. Running it back in is, yep you guess it, tripping in. Only tripping out to a certain depth and back to bottom? That's a wiper trip. My rig uses 0.035m3 per drill pipe. The recorded fill should be pretty close to the calculated fill. A little light is ok sometimes, but you should have more recorded fill than calculated fill. If for any reason you continually get a lower recorded fill than the calculated, you have to stop pulling pipe out of the hole, go back to bottom if you can and prepare for a kick. There is more than one cause for this.

We trip out for any number of reasons. One of them to change the bit, as they can and do get worn out, scrubbed, or just because we need a different one in there. It does all the digging, and can take a heavy poo poo kicking. When you get completely out of the hole, often you will close the blind rams to prevent anything from falling down the hole. Something falling down the hole is a bad thing. As in we don't even joke about it at work. Leaving the blinds closed for extended periods of time isn't cool either. Even with out anything bad happening, pressure can build up underneath them, and at the very least make a bit of a mess when opened. Where I work it's standard practise to function the blinds, open them, and then close the pipe rams so at least something big can't fall down.

Ballooning isn't an uncommon phenomena. Basically, when you are circulating with the mud pumps, the formation will take fluid showing a loss on the volume indicator. When you turn the pumps off, the formation will give the fluid back, showing a gain. However, it will stop once everything has evened out. Circulating, or pumping essentially makes the mud act like it's a little denser / heavier than it is, and that's the Equivalent Circulating Density or ECD. The most severe ballooning I have seen stopped in a half an hour and the recorded portion of the trip sheet was correct after I started pulling.

So, if what has been reported is correct, these guys pulled several thousand feet of pipe out without filling the hole confusing kick signs for a semi common phenomena. They sealed off the hole while they did some work. When they opened the well back up poo poo went south in a hurry. Also, I believe they were using oil based mud, or invert, not water based mud. So, more make fire stuff mixed in with the gas. Did someone gently caress up? Yes. Was there a way to avert what happened? Almost definitely, but without being there it's hard to say what should have been done other than not pulling out.

Hope this helps. Sorry for the wall o' text.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

weg posted:

:pwn:

RIP poor S13.

Too beautiful for this world.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://gfycat.com/PowerlessCloudyEquestrian

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poy2F9HdWqc

Old Balls McGee posted:

My friend does this for a living and concurs completely.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 4, 2018

coke
Jul 12, 2009

the slammed fad is getting out of hand

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Old Balls McGee posted:

<< a lot more about oil drilling than I thought I’d ever learn >>

That was great, thanks!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Old Balls McGee posted:

I'm never really sure how in depth I should go into this sort of thing. I should also mention that I do this in Canada, so our regulations, practises and the underground formations we go through are very different than down south.

During normal drilling operations, we don't ever want to see gas. An unplanned influx of formation fluid in to the well bore is called a kick, and an uncontrolled kick is a blow out. Our primary way of keeping it down there (primary method of well control) is the hydrostatic pressure exerted by the drilling fluid, or mud. It's a good idea to keep the part of the hole outside of the pipe to the hole wall (the annulus) full all of the time. If a kick does happen, we have a stack of blow out preventers (bops) on top of the well that are actuated by hydraulic fluid stored under pressure. The top is an annular, or bag. It's basically a big hunk of rubber that's being pushed on by a big rear end ram. It can close around any diameter of pipe, but it's slow. We then have a set of pipe rams, which are much faster to close but they close and seal on a certain diameter of pipe, say 4.5" pipe, and that's it. Next is a set of blind rams, and they completely close off and seal the hole when there is no pipe in the bops. Under this we have a hydraulically controlled relief valve (HCR) which opens and then diverts the fluid coming out of the hole to a manifold with chokes so that the kick can be circulated out and controlled as it comes to surface. The gas is also burnt off at a flare tank. Boyle's Law comes into effect here.

Pictures! Of BOPs!

If you pull pipe out of the hole, the fluid level of the annulus drops, and therefore hydrostatic pressure is reduced. We calculate the displacement of the pipe being pulled out of the hole, write it down and then fill the hole with fluid, record that and compare it to the calculated amount. This is recorded in a trip sheet, as taking pipe out of the hole is called tripping out. Running it back in is, yep you guess it, tripping in. Only tripping out to a certain depth and back to bottom? That's a wiper trip. My rig uses 0.035m3 per drill pipe. The recorded fill should be pretty close to the calculated fill. A little light is ok sometimes, but you should have more recorded fill than calculated fill. If for any reason you continually get a lower recorded fill than the calculated, you have to stop pulling pipe out of the hole, go back to bottom if you can and prepare for a kick. There is more than one cause for this.

We trip out for any number of reasons. One of them to change the bit, as they can and do get worn out, scrubbed, or just because we need a different one in there. It does all the digging, and can take a heavy poo poo kicking. When you get completely out of the hole, often you will close the blind rams to prevent anything from falling down the hole. Something falling down the hole is a bad thing. As in we don't even joke about it at work. Leaving the blinds closed for extended periods of time isn't cool either. Even with out anything bad happening, pressure can build up underneath them, and at the very least make a bit of a mess when opened. Where I work it's standard practise to function the blinds, open them, and then close the pipe rams so at least something big can't fall down.

Ballooning isn't an uncommon phenomena. Basically, when you are circulating with the mud pumps, the formation will take fluid showing a loss on the volume indicator. When you turn the pumps off, the formation will give the fluid back, showing a gain. However, it will stop once everything has evened out. Circulating, or pumping essentially makes the mud act like it's a little denser / heavier than it is, and that's the Equivalent Circulating Density or ECD. The most severe ballooning I have seen stopped in a half an hour and the recorded portion of the trip sheet was correct after I started pulling.

So, if what has been reported is correct, these guys pulled several thousand feet of pipe out without filling the hole confusing kick signs for a semi common phenomena. They sealed off the hole while they did some work. When they opened the well back up poo poo went south in a hurry. Also, I believe they were using oil based mud, or invert, not water based mud. So, more make fire stuff mixed in with the gas. Did someone gently caress up? Yes. Was there a way to avert what happened? Almost definitely, but without being there it's hard to say what should have been done other than not pulling out.

Proteus Jones posted:

That was great, thanks!

Yeah this rules don't ever apologize for posting things you are an expert at, it's super interesting

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kith posted:

https://i.imgur.com/TE8jbVM.mp4

just dance your problems away

Kennel posted:

Pile dancing.

Pile jiving

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

GotLag posted:

Pile jiving

You win.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Old Balls McGee posted:

Don't be sorry, that was great, thank you.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Ol Standard Retard posted:

Yeah this rules don't ever apologize for posting things you are an expert at, it's super interesting

:agreed:

This is very cool. Some of the super specialized equipment you guys use just fascinates me. Do you guys do horizontal drilling? I'd love to see/hear about the mechanics behind that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

One of my oldest friends is a hydro geologist and yes, they do horizontal drilling. They can steer these drills, so that they go down (at an angle) and can be steered in all planes (to limited extent). He was working one that they drilled over half a mile, I believe across and underneath Indian Lake in Pennsylvania, and came up within thirty feet of their intended target. Amazing poo poo.

E: Not oil.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Kibayasu posted:

I'd say this is a great idea but it still probably won't work on the people it is for.

*wham*
"What was that noise?" *inattentive and now startled driver looks back to see what they hit*
*plows directly into the bridge at full speed*

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

:agreed:

This is very cool. Some of the super specialized equipment you guys use just fascinates me. Do you guys do horizontal drilling? I'd love to see/hear about the mechanics behind that.

All of the holes I do nowadays are horizontals, and have been for 7 years. All for gas, of one type or another. I generally work in the western side of Alberta, or the foothills close to the Rockies. The longest hole I was part of was 5734m, 2700m of that being the lateral section. We drill 222mm hole vertically to a certain depth or kickoff point, say 2800m. We then drill the build section, meaning we go from straight up and down to 90 degrees sideways, landing at 3000m maybe.We may or may not set 177.8mm intermediate casing there, depending on the well program. True Vertical depth (TVD) is calculated, although it's often around 2900m give or take on the wells we do. After than we more or less go horizontal / lateral with a 156mm bit following the particular zone to TD (total depth). After that, we run whichever casing program is required. Lately, we have just run casing and it gets cemented in, although there are other ways. Frac port / packer assemblies, slotted liner, ported liner. Some are left open, even.

We use (PDC) bits polycrystalline diamond compact (PDC) for the most part although roller cone bits do get used from time to time. PDCs drill faster. But they break too.

The outer diameter of that bit should be the same as the inner diameter of that gauge ring, 222mm. The wrong bit for the wrong formations.

That is the bit on the motor. The motor is also missing a pad that fits on the threaded part.

That actually was a 156mm bit. It was still drilling at 2m/hr in the oil sands near Peace River, Ab.

That is a picture perfect representation of ring out, a result of me not reducing the rotary rpm and the weight on bit for a particularly abrasive zone.

This bit fell off. The decision was to go back in and try to push it to the side of the hole and go around it. That didn't work.

To steer the bit we use mud motors:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVM0SG-cPhU

When fluid goes down the inside of the pipe and through the mud motor, the dark magiks in there spin only the bit. This means if we don't rotate the whole string of drill pipe as we normally would, the hole will go in the direction the bit is pointing. This is called sliding. Mud motors used for directional drilling have a bend to them. We usually use 1.5 to 2.12 degrees depending on the stage of the hole. When we want to go straight again without building angle, we rotate the pipe as usual. After a certain amount of bend, the we can no longer rotate the whole string as it may break everything. We may have to do this to get build rates if we are really in a bind. We recently had a non rotatable assembly that put out 22, 24 and 18 degree doglegs. That is a crazy amount. Even after we pulled that out and put a rotatable assembly in, we couldn't rotate through those doglegs for fear of the MWD tool breaking. We had to get past those before we could rotate.

Up from the motor is a couple of special pipe, non-magnetic drill collars or NMDCs. We often call them Monels, since the first ones were monel. I believe they are made of other alloys now. Inside the first NMDC is the measurement while drilling tool, or MWD tool. It uses the earths magnetic field and reads the inclination and azimuth of the tool. It sends the reading one way or another to surface to be interpreted by computers. It is also lined up with the bend in the motor (highside) so it can tell us which direction the bit is pointing and give us a toolface. The build up rate is is then calculated over 100', or 30m and are called doglegs. The tool also does other things, such as measure gamma, vibration, battery temperature etc. It can't tell us the exact inc at bit, so some one will extrapolate that with the ol' Ti-83.

When deviation is under a set amount (usually 7 degrees inclination iirc) the tool face reports a magnetic tool face. 0 being North, 180 being south. After the set amount of deviation, it reports a gravity tool face. 0 being up or highside, 180 being down or yep, lowside. We have a computer in the doghouse (my office) that reports the toolface, as well as the inc / az. We control the tool face by either turning the drill string the appropriate amount or by setting more or less weight on the bit which will flex the string. More weight will mean the tool face will go counterclockwise (left), less will mean clockwise (right). Well. actually we use differential pressure mostly. Thats the pressure difference between the bit being off bottom and on bottom. 15000 kpa off bottom, 17000 kpa on bottom is 2000 kpa diff pressure. It's related to the weight on bit so w/e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xooOrKGwx-A

Being tools, they also fail. The MWD tool uses lithium batteries and a few people I know have seen them come apart and vent / catch fire. I can't find any MWD tool fire pics, but I'm sure you've all seen lithium fire pics. As I'm sure you can understand, fire on a rig is a pretty scary thing.

This motor is about 6" longer than it should be. We could not pump or circulate at all. The motor did not have a dump sub. We were stuck for several hours before we could get it moving. If you watched the previous video, this is what the rotor catch does. The motor may have broken, but it stayed in one piece because of that catch.

In that particular string we had jars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkibNjt4Z40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0usYnsFYkK4

They worked. Some times they don't. If we had left parts down there, we would probably have gone in to retrieve it. That's fishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-WqVgksKtk

However, sometimes there's no recovery of the fish so we hit the hole with the big grey eraser, or cement. We may then go around that cemented off part. This is not taken lightly as a full set of directional tools run well over a million dollars, most of that being the MWD tool.

We also use agitators to help the string move, since so much of it is laying on the bottom of the hole during the lateral section. It shakes the poo poo out of the string. There's not too many good videos of those. Agitators can be pretty violent, but then again they break too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmc2RIoy80k

That whole Elements of Directional Drilling channel is pretty ok, if basic.

Blow outs, (uncontrolled kicks) have some pretty specialized equipment too:

The Lodgepole Blowout is pretty famous around here. The H2S was measurable in Toronto apparently. It resulted in a lot of damage, as well as heavy changes in government regulations and industry practises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp9jMIXz1dg

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
*Specialized equipment*

"OI! JUST DROP A SHED ON TOP OF IT, AYE?"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thank you so much for the effortpost about slant drilling. What's the bend radius like on your drill string? I imagine it has to be a really gradual curve to get to 90°.

E: Holy poo poo the MWD transmits the data back up acoustically?? This is the coolest tech I've learned about in months

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 4, 2018

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
slant drilling? this isn't the china thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
How the gently caress do I upvote a post.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSsMZwJfTP0

Pardon the potato quality, random youtube vidjya. I drilled on slant rigs for a about a year. Neat little rigs, cold as gently caress.

shame on an IGA posted:

Thank you so much for the effortpost about slant drilling. What's the bend radius like on your drill string? I imagine it has to be a really gradual curve to get to 90°.

E: Holy poo poo the MWD transmits the data back up acoustically?? This is the coolest tech I've learned about in months

Normally we see 8-12 degrees over 30m in the build section though. Drill pipe is fairly flexible. We run 4.5" premium pipe, and if you pick up one end of it you can easily see the the flex. It is designed for high torque applications. Smaller pipe flexes more, obviously. With that 24 degree dogleg in the hole that we're doing, I'm sure that there will be a little more stress done to the pipe as it's rotating through there. How much is an answer for someone else I guess. I just make the big yellow things go up and down.

Hevi-Wate drill pipe is stiffer, since it's got a smaller ID as drill pipe with the same OD. Normally run on top of the directional tools, we move them up the string for the lateral, both to increase available string weight and to keep them from getting differentially stuck. Drill Collars flex even less, as they are quite thicker. Our 6.5" collars have an OD of 165mm and an ID of 56mm or so. An 8" collar has an OD of 203, and I forget the ID. It's been a while since I used them. Both of those collars are pretty much exclusive to mostly vertical drilling, as they like to get differentially stuck easily. There are bigger collars as well. Heavier triples often use 9" or bigger. Differentially stuck means the pipe is basically sucked to the side of the hole, often because the drilling fluid is too dense. The less contact the pipe can make to the wall the less of a chance of differentially sticking.

My previous employer has a video of what happens when 9" rolls on to an employees foot. At 230 or so lbs/ft, it was not pretty. He ended up having everything below that knee taken off in the end.

That particular rig was the biggest in Canada at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-q6WFx64Uc
(This isn't the video where buddy loses his foot.)
The town in question was Nordegg Ab. Residents were not happy.

There are normally 2 types of MWD tools, pulse and electromagnetic or EM. Pulse sends pulses back up the inside of the drill pipe which are picked up by a transducer and sent to a computer for interpretation. It is slower transmitting info, but more reliable and positive. Better suited for long reach wells. It's been around a long time, and is the staple of directional drilling.

EM works on em waves and is faster transmitting data, but more expensive to run and generally has a little more trouble working properly. We don't see that often, but sometimes they will run dual telemetry tools, using both pulse and em in the string. This is just what I've picked up. I'm not an MWD hand, they'd be able to make a better description of how it all works.

Halliburton has an At Bit Inclination (ABI) tool that's pretty cool. When we make the tools up, the MWD hand turns it on and you can hear it quite clearly making it's noises to transmit to the actual MWD tool. It kind of sounds like active sonar from movies. It actually doesn't really measure the ABI, since it's about 9m back from the bit. It gets its own inclination and tells it to the MWD tool, which in turn sends it up to the computers. Between the inclination the ABI tool sends and the inclination the MWD sends, it extrapolates what the actual at bit inc should be. So, nothing someone with a Ti-83 can't do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzY7C7Zjtuw

Always make sure the pumps are off before breaking a connection. AFAIK, no one was seriously hurt there.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

slant drilling? this isn't the simpsons thread