Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
DS9 worked being able to poke holes in the utopia because it presented the single greatest threat the Federation ever had. Quark's monologue about how take away humans comforts and they become as cruel and violent as Klingons and Cardassians, which is exactly it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait poo poo they're doubling down on the augment thing and these are the REAL Klingons and every one in previous shows were infected.

That's stupid.

Source?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

twistedmentat posted:

DS9 worked being able to poke holes in the utopia because it presented the single greatest threat the Federation ever had. Quark's monologue about how take away humans comforts and they become as cruel and violent as Klingons and Cardassians, which is exactly it.

Trek is optimistic, not utopian. TNG's occasional fits of starry-eyed nonsense aside, Federation society as depicted -- even if it doesn't share the problems that we have today -- obviously has problems, and it seems to encounter new problems every week, wherever it goes. Sometimes it even does something recognizably reprehensible, whether the writers meant it to or not. That ongoing moral struggle even after we've solved modern problems: that's what the shows are about, even the bad ones where they ran out of ideas for new problems.

Back to the original question, another pretty important aspect of Trek is that it incorporates an external perspective on humanity. Every show has at least one character who is not what that show thinks of as a regular human person (Spock, Data, Odo, the EMH, Seven, T'pol, and you could make cases for others) and whose dramatic role is to step back and add a little perspective to the behavior of normal humans that the audience would otherwise take for granted. At the same time, Trek is fundamentally grounded in this idea of normal folks in space as opposed to something zany as gently caress like Lexx or Farscape where everyone's a loving weirdo. It wants us to consider things from the perspective of an outsider, but keep us firmly onside with the apotheosis of Americanized one-world-culture it presents.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

skasion posted:

Trek is optimistic, not utopian. TNG's occasional fits of starry-eyed nonsense aside, Federation society as depicted -- even if it doesn't share the problems that we have today -- obviously has problems, and it seems to encounter new problems every week, wherever it goes. Sometimes it even does something recognizably reprehensible, whether the writers meant it to or not. That ongoing moral struggle even after we've solved modern problems: that's what the shows are about, even the bad ones where they ran out of ideas for new problems.

Back to the original question, another pretty important aspect of Trek is that it incorporates an external perspective on humanity. Every show has at least one character who is not what that show thinks of as a regular human person (Spock, Data, Odo, the EMH, Seven, T'pol, and you could make cases for others) and whose dramatic role is to step back and add a little perspective to the behavior of normal humans that the audience would otherwise take for granted. At the same time, Trek is fundamentally grounded in this idea of normal folks in space as opposed to something zany as gently caress like Lexx or Farscape where everyone's a loving weirdo. It wants us to consider things from the perspective of an outsider, but keep us firmly onside with the apotheosis of Americanized one-world-culture it presents.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Watching Redemption Part I. Sounds like Gowron's gonna show up. Oh and Worf's gonna redeem himself? Finally.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why does Worf even have to be convinced. Isn't the original reason he did it not applicable anymore because the people he was covering up for are dead or out of power?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why does Worf even have to be convinced. Isn't the original reason he did it not applicable anymore because the people he was covering up for are dead or out of power?

Worf is a chump.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:gowron:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Klingon civil war huh. Feels like that's been a danger for a while.

Intro thought: I had to leave for about ten minutes just now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Please fix our society again Picard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:gowron: says the reason he still can't expose Duras' treachery is that there are still people loyal to his family on the council. But wouldn't it make them like, less loyal to find out about that

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf's surprised head whip when Guinan says she plays the light gun game above level 14

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Still so true about Worf being a Klingaboo. He read some metaphorical dictum about how they never laugh and took it literally

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Uh oh Worf's brother is reminding me of politics

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So Worf's plan will be to wait until Gowron's in a precarious position then use that as leverage to get his honor restored. But won't that just make it seem more like Gowron's doing it for political expediency and not because Worf's father was really innocent? Am I thinking too much about this?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Oh man, Friday night watching Jeb watch the TNG season 4 finale! :suspense:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

What

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is getting very Game of Thrones.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Haha, efb by :gowron:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Dammit is Picard really gonna keep Worf from using the evidence

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Dammit is Picard really gonna keep Worf from using the evidence

Oh no he's not, and he gave a good speech about conflicts of interest too.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Duras' daughter just questioned why Picard came alone and unarmed exactly the same way I was

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"You'd have nothing to gain by killing the arbiter early"

UuuuuUUUUUUUUUH

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The triangular cleavage windows on the female Klingon armor look awful

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Well, :gowron: is declared leader and the ship's gonna hit the fan

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Gowron expects the Federation to do some uh, nation building

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard being sensible and not getting involved, what'd Riker expect.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh come on.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf is making neocon arguments about how the Duras family represents a threat to the federation

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

:gowron: says the reason he still can't expose Duras' treachery is that there are still people loyal to his family on the council. But wouldn't it make them like, less loyal to find out about that

The trick about Klingons is that the idea of honor Worf has and the idea that 'real' Klingons have are very separate. To other Klingons, honor is a glorious combat that you don't lose and a knife in the back of a troublesome enemy that no one finds out about.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:qq:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Feathered hairdos. :rock:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Isn't that Tasha Yar's actor? Did they really expect no one to notice?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Isn't that Tasha Yar's actor? Did they really expect no one to notice?

You don't want to know.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WAIT

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Gotta have that ridiculous cliffhanger huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Watch part 2, know hate.