Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Timby posted:

Generations wound up getting $5 million more to re-shoot the ending at the last minute because of disastrous screenings.

Generations was a motherfuck of a mess.

What was the original ending? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Soran shoots Kirk in the back

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Audiences hate fun things huh

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Kirk wrestles with Soran, gets the padd, decloaks the launcher. Soran wakes up, shoots Kirk in the back. Picard comes over and shoots Soran. Instead of his prolonged death, Picard thanks Kirk, who says the "least I could do..." line and carks it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enBoGjEr2H8

It tested horribly with audiences. Sherry Lansing went to Berman and said, "You have three-fourths of a movie, but you don't have an ending. Here's $5 million, go fix it."

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was Sisko's brief interaction with Kirk from "Trials and Tribble-ations" ever brought up in any of the books?

One of Shatner's novels briefly mentions Sisko in the context of him kicking rear end in the Dominion War and something about how Kirk seeing an image of Sisko solved the mystery of a lieutenant who had mysteriously disappeared off the Enterprise in the 23rd century. It's like two sentences.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
If any of my friends here see me trolling in the Orville thread, please forgive me.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't watch it and probably won't but encouraged that the Star Trek formula can live outside Star Trek.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol how many times did plucky comic relief character Worf try to kill himself in TNG?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 5, episode 5 "The Assignment"

This is it? This is the one everyone talks about where Keiko is possessed by a pah-wraith and is nicer to O'Brien? I don't know what you guys were watching but her public face seemed like normal Keiko. Yeah, there was the thwarted expectation at the beginning that she'd be upset about the bonsai plants, but that's it, and it was private. The rest of it, Julian was relieved but not suspiciously so when she wasn't upset with him, and everyone thought it was perfectly normal and routine for Keiko to throw him a birthday party. They have their issues like any married couple, she's maybe a little bit of a caricature in general, as a foil to O'Brien and Bashir, but she's not some harridan.

Episode 6 "Trials and Tribbleations"

As soon as I saw the Netflix preview with Sisko in a gold uniform I knew what that meant. Had a great big ol' grin on my face most of the episode. I was surprised to see that the greenscreen didn't hold up quite as well as I remembered; some shots were really good but most were just slightly dodgy. The motion tracking wasn't quite there. Of course my TV is like four times the size of what I had when this first aired.

Dax is pretty transparently the staff insert character in this one. "I lived through this time; it's hard not to want to be a part of it again."

And now here we are 20+ years later than even that, and still trying to recapture it, with varying levels of success.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Arglebargle III posted:

Lol how many times did plucky comic relief character Worf try to kill himself in TNG?

2 or 3 just in the episodes I've watched.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Orville made me kinda wish they were just doing this same show and same cast without the dick jokes.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was Sisko's brief interaction with Kirk from "Trials and Tribble-ations" ever brought up in any of the books?

I did a skim through Memory Beta, the crummy wiki for Trek EU stuff, and as far as I can tell it's never come up again.

On a related note, while Jeb's been giving us his TNG commentary I've been skimming MB to see how many guest crewmen and whatnot have reappeared in the various books. So far it's been less that I'd expected, believe it or not.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Please spoil whether Orville is good in this thread without spoiling anything else because I'm not gonna be able to watch it for a while and I don't want to delve into that thread without watching it

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Please spoil whether Orville is good in this thread without spoiling anything else because I'm not gonna be able to watch it for a while and I don't want to delve into that thread without watching it

It's okay.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

cheetah7071 posted:

Tunicate posted:

It's okay.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MillennialVulcan posted:

Orville made me kinda wish they were just doing this same show and same cast without the dick jokes.

Yeah, I just posted something to this effect in the Orville thread. The whole show felt really, aggressively... okay.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Timby posted:

Kirk wrestles with Soran, gets the padd, decloaks the launcher. Soran wakes up, shoots Kirk in the back. Picard comes over and shoots Soran. Instead of his prolonged death, Picard thanks Kirk, who says the "least I could do..." line and carks it.

It tested horribly with audiences. Sherry Lansing went to Berman and said, "You have three-fourths of a movie, but you don't have an ending. Here's $5 million, go fix it."

It does pretty much suck. Soren jumping up and down is pretty silly, and frankly at that point he's unarmed and helpless, there wasn't a good reason for Picad to shoot him since Picard had Soren's gun. I can see the test audience's point.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I liked it. I think toning down some of the rougher humor would work towards its benefit, but yeah it's still very watchable and entertaining.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Generations was so bad. Why does the old and fat captain team up with the old and skinny captain to punch the old skinny villain while everyone else crashes the ship? Why not literally anything else?

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Randallteal posted:

From the press release:

"Netflix analyzed the viewing data of 104 million members across 190 countries who have watched the following Star Trek series on Netflix: Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Enterprise, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: Voyager. In an attempt to look for data beyond default behavior, the first two episodes from any season ones were omitted from the data. “Rewatch” is defined when a member returns to watch at least 6 minutes of an episode they had previously completed."

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-releases/netflix-boldly-goes-where-no-man-has-gone-before-revealing-star-trek-fans-favorite-episodes

Well, that suggests my assumption could be right. Time and Again is the third episode of Voyager.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Because one of the weird rules of the universe is that for every great Malcom McDowell role he has to do three garbage ones. (This math doesn't hold out past the mid-2000s unfortunately.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 11, 2017

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I kind of appreciated the bridge was on the captain.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Orv posted:

Because one of the weird rules of the universe is that for every great Malcom McDowell role he has to do three garbage ones. (This math doesn't hold out past the mid-2000s unfortunately.)

McDowell is great in Generations though :confused:

"They say time is the FIYA in which we BURN!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Timby posted:

I have to wonder if it was purely based on the response cards (which, in a way, would be even more impressive if it was just "yeah 95% of the test audience said the movie sucked because of the ending, holy poo poo") or if the test audience was audibly losing their poo poo in the theater and the execs were worried there'd be riots if the original ending got a general release.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

McDowell is great in Generations though :confused:

"They say time is the FIYA in which we BURN!"

He's great, he almost always is. Soren not so much.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've said before, but if Kirk and the D both had to die by studio mandate in Generations, it should've been Kirk in the big chair riding the D to its destruction in a suicide run to save the next-gen crew and also the galaxy. George Kirk style.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Even Patrick Stewart couldn't sell the idea that Picard would get Kirk's help to do the dumbest time travel ever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arglebargle III posted:

"Worf contemplates ritual suicide when the crew discovers his collection of 'dishonourable' magazines" was my favourite TNG Season 8 tweet.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

cheetah7071 posted:

The Star Trek parts are good, the humor parts are jarring and hit or miss. Mostly miss.

The way I'd put it is that it's like someone who's used to writing 22 minute gag cartoons switches over to writing 22 minute sitcoms and then suddenly has to write 44 minute dramedy. It feels like Galaxy Quest mixed with TNG, but it's definitely not there yet. Hopefully it sorts itself out and Fox doesn't eat its young like it's Zeus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Arglebargle III posted:

Even Patrick Stewart couldn't sell the idea that Picard would get Kirk's help to do the dumbest time travel ever.

obviously he didnt know kirk would die, but a bunch of people still got murdered on that space station and he just didn't care

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Yeah, The Orville was solid if unspectacular, with a cool episode resolution. I think the characters could be interesting on their own terms. It has potential, it just depends on whether they lean in on characters/exploration or the jokes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I still think what trek fans need is a climate change cyberpunk future that turns out good and if that isn't trek then fine. Spoon Runner if you will.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Arglebargle III posted:

I still think what trek fans need is a climate change cyberpunk future that turns out good and if that isn't trek then fine. Spoon Runner if you will.

I really wanted Almost Human to be that show :(. There's a cyberpunk vacuum in entertainment and Westworld almost fills it but not really at all.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

We follow the residents of a hi-tek future biodome which is the new hope for peace and return to Edenic paradise in a storm-torn flooded hell-world.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'll be watching Orville later so I'm in the same boat of wanting to know if it's ok without being spoiled. It sounds kinda rough, with definite room for improvement, but I'm still pretty jazzed. American Dad started out terribly, but now it's one of my favourite shows. Also: TNG.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The_Doctor posted:

I'll be watching Orville later so I'm in the same boat of wanting to know if it's ok without being spoiled. It sounds kinda rough, with definite room for improvement, but I'm still pretty jazzed.
It's kind of rough, with definite room for improvement.

The visuals and sets are amazing (aside from one CG effect that looked kind of bad). The characters are hit and miss, but mostly have some room for interesting growth. The story was passable, especially for a pilot where you have to get things established quickly.

The humor was... fine. In a few scenes it messed up the pacing, but the throwaway one-liners mostly worked.

I'd say it feels like Galaxy Quest, but a bit less funny and with (so far) less memorable characters?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MillennialVulcan posted:

Yeah, The Orville was solid if unspectacular, with a cool episode resolution. I think the characters could be interesting on their own terms. It has potential, it just depends on whether they lean in on characters/exploration or the jokes.

I thought pretty much the same, and to me it felt more like a TNG/Enterprise mix. The effects are definitely top-notch, although ship design seems a little blasé. Adrienne Palicki is definitely super easy on the eyes, although her role is definitely a new twist in the genre.

I kept waiting for the bad guy aliens to demand Ketracel White.
The opening scene was a little bit much, especially the alien cum part. :barf: But that's McFarlane humor for ya.
Why do all the Federation good guy ships look like shoes? And the engines are heel straps?
Hey, no transporters. Welp there goes a ton of really gross jokes McFarlane had in mind. I bet.

Wow, Lt. Paris is directing the second episode, and Brannon Braga the third. I already know which episode will be better :v:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 11, 2017

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Binary Badger posted:

Hey, no transporters. Welp there goes a ton of really gross jokes McFarlane had in mind. I bet.

Not yet, at least.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I'm tired of people saying "Into Darkness" when I ask what their favorite trek is. We are in the mirrorverse guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Not yet, at least.

I just want someone to finally acknowledge in-canon that there are no bathrooms on starships because transporters help you save a few extra minutes a day.