Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

In ruralish Illinois I have seen two masks in as many months. I don't go out much though. One was last night at the vet, I thought "oh how nice that employee is sick so she's at least wearing a surgical mask." Then she lowered it to sneeze

I'm also in IL (STL exurbs) and I see about the same. Basically my wife and I, along with a few steadfast maskers at local restaurants we get takeout from. And this is a college town, so I'm surprised I don't see slightly more given the educated population. lmao. No one has said anything or given us attitude about it, fortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
I haven’t been on most social media and goddamn I need to stay off

https://x.com/EricTopol/status/1790383094941245691
Apparently attending the HEALTH IMPACT DINNER :sludgepal:
Masks off, people doing long covid research, it’s time to eat and talk about health
https://x.com/TIME/status/1790762891273977938

quote:

TIME celebrated on Monday the 100 most influential people leading change in health at a special dinner
Sure why not

https://time.com/6976875/time100-health-honorees-toasts-strub-topol-murabit-noma-covid-conflict/

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"For the worse" is still leading change in health

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Indoor Dying posted:

Masks off, people doing long covid research, it’s time to eat and talk about health

Kim Prather has been doing this lately too and it's absolutely infuriating. You're kind of undermining your "COVID is airborne, everyone needs to be wearing an N95 at all times" message when you rip off that mask for photo ops and speeches and galas. COVID doesn't care if you're "good" 99% of the time, you don't get to cash in your Good Points for a momentary truce so you can have appetizers with your colleagues.

Plus if you're complaining that the pandemic has been made invisible, maybe do your part in making it visible by wearing a mask instead of contributing to making the pandemic invisible? Why is it so hard for these people to walk the walk? The siren song of treats is too powerful.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Why is it so hard for these people to walk the walk? The siren song of treats is too powerful.

It really is amazing (and just another of the endless examples of how screwed we are) that the same people basically saying that COVID will destroy every part of your body and spread and kill/maim others are the same people who will also be like but...it's a dinner. event..how are we supposed to eat if we have a mask on. And how will people hear me when I try to tell them about my accomplishments and how bad covid is and how important health measures are

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 22:00 on May 17, 2024

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
It's Main Character Syndrome.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

It's been said a thousand times but why do I have to be immunocompromised to not want to get sick?

<hippo tweet>

https://twitter.com/AstroKatie/status/1652397369063768065

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They were abusing the poo poo out of the men's watches thread last I checked

I’m disappointed that this is a joke, but still, SAD hasn’t been this funny since it was called “QCS”.

quote:

The watch thread has the same root cause as this one, so it's similar in nature. You can stamp out the mutated posters from TFR but you're not removing the mutagen that creates these people. A lot of it is external internet poisoning but some checks and balances to avoid full insular zeal should help things in the long run

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:06 on May 17, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Hmm, an insular zeal that makes people lose all perspective on real problems....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
POV: you are a reviewing a security camera feed in Melbourne

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
an electable platform of protecting local internal internet poisoning by placing posting tariffs on foreign external internet poisoning and appealing to vaguely-defined checks and balances to insure the quality of the local shitposting industry

as above, so below

Indoor Dying posted:

It really is amazing (and just another of the endless examples of how screwed we are) that the same people basically saying that COVID will destroy every part of your body and spread and kill/maim others are the same people who will also be like but...it's a dinner. event..how are we supposed to eat if we have a mask on. And how will people hear me when I try to tell them about my accomplishments and how bad covid is and how important health measures are

I could accept the occasional dinner outing. It's not the calculus I would make, I think it's a pretty piss-poor cost-benefit ratio, but hey, genuinely, you take your risks in life whether its imbibing recreational poison or jumping out of planes or whatever the gently caress. If you mask, isolate, and test after such an outing, you've limited it to just being your own dumb risk calculus. It's the fact that even the die-hard 'covid is bad' crowd so often doff masks for photos or multi-day speaking events, like, the very absolute least you could do is visibly demonstrate you're taking this poo poo seriously as a safety risk and that you're trying to avoid unnecessarily exposing other people to it.

Someone close to me nearly died due to a heart attack their doctor directly attributed to covid, and they've complained about their long-covid symptoms, but they won't mask because nobody else does. Thanks to their new health issues they 'don't want to live THAT much longer anyways'. As if failing to comprehend that quietly passing in their sleep isn't the only possible outcome here. Maybe if the experts who keep saying 'oh yeah this poo poo will gently caress you right up' would take their own advice seriously enough to mask for photo-ops, I'd at least have that to sway them with, but instead I feel helpless and our dumb mass-disablement society marches on, with the occasional rear end in a top hat getting very aggressive about how I'm the one being abnormal to not accept this new 'normal'.

It would be cool to live in a world that wasn't constantly innovating in the field of normalizing mass death and deprivation, but here we are, were, and currently remain

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

POV: you are a reviewing a security camera feed in Melbourne

lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-likely-growing-states-cdc-estimates/ posted:

COVID "likely growing" in D.C. and 12 states, CDC estimates

COVID-19 infections are now likely growing in at least 12 states and the District of Columbia, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated Friday, as health authorities are watching for signs the virus might be starting to accelerate again after a springtime lull.

Based on data analyzed by the agency from emergency department visits, CDC modeling suggests COVID-19 infections are increasing in Alaska, Arizona, California, Washington D.C., Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Minnesota, Nevada, New Jersey, Oregon, Texas and Washington state.

(..)
The dominant strains of the virus circulating at the moment are known as KP.2 and KP.1.1, informally nicknamed the "FLiRT" variants. Health officials have said the two strains are closely related to the JN.1 variant from this past winter's wave, apart from two minor changes that might be enabling them to spread.

A CDC spokesperson said on May 10 that the agency does not think the variants are "causing an increase in infections as transmission of SARS-CoV-2 is low."
(..)
That's an amazingly dumb sentence.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Seems bad.
"Global meta-analysis estimates 43% rate of multidrug resistance in COVID patients"

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/global-meta-analysis-estimates-43-rate-multidrug-resistance-covid-patients posted:

A meta-analysis of 173 studies involving nearly 900,000 COVID-19 patients in more than 50 countries finds that 42.9% were infected with multidrug-resistant organisms (MDROs), which the authors say underscores the urgent need for stronger antimicrobial stewardship strategies.
(..)

Link to article proper:

https://www.journalofinfection.com/article/S0163-4453(24)00117-8/fulltext posted:

Global antimicrobial resistance and antibiotic use in COVID-19 patients within health facilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis of aggregated participant data

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pingui posted:

Hmmm seems to be accurate.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Pingui posted:

well what do you expect the CDC to do, implement a known successful way of estimating the rates of infection by mandating thrice weekly wastewater testing?
mandate hospitals to test all presenting patients for a novel virus six times deadlier than the flu and report the results?
Fund on demand PCR testing that’s open to the public?
Why do you want to cause anxiety in the American people when Covid is over??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This post from October 2021 makes me laugh every time I recall it.

quote:

Playing Dunning-Kruger games of pretending you're smarter than a building full of PhDs is generally not good for your health. The CDC isn't always right, but they're right a whole lot more often than a bunch of morons on the internet.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://thehill.com/homenews/nexstar_media_wire/4663046-is-covid-19-still-a-pandemic/ posted:

Is COVID-19 still a ‘pandemic?’
(..)
A WHO spokesperson told Nexstar “the word ‘pandemic’ is not binary, it’s not on or off.”
(..)

lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Pairs well with the above:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-17/historic-nyc-office-building-hurt-by-covid-files-bankruptcy posted:

Historic NYC Office Building Hurt by Covid Files Bankruptcy
  • Owner of 70 Broad Street had faced foreclosure auction
  • Building has suffered from a lack of tenants from pandemic

That poor building :ohdear: Someone should tell it that pandemics are not binary (but over, definitely over).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

pandemic is now woke and nonbinary

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

covid was like 4 years ago

(wrt to the building closing now )

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Joementum posted:

This means you won't be able to get a booster without insurance (or by lying and saying you don't have insurance) any more.

A bit more on this (and to highlight Joementum's post):

https://thehill.com/newsletters/health-care/4671355-cdc-ending-program-for-free-covid-vaccines-early-for-some/ posted:

CDC moves up expiration date for uninsured COVID vaccine program
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is ending a federal program to provide COVID-19 vaccines for free earlier than planned as funds run out.
(..)
“Due to Congressional rescissions of COVID-19 funds in the FY 2024 Further Consolidated Appropriations Act, difficult decisions had to be made about the future of CDC activities supported by those funds,” a CDC spokesperson told The Hill.

The FY 2024 government funding bill rescinded unobligated COVID-19 funding. But according to CDC, the agency was planning to use its share of that money to support the upcoming Fall 2024 respiratory virus season, “including purchase of updated vaccines and the underlying infrastructure to distribute, administer, and promote uptake.”

“After August, there may be a small amount of free vaccine available through health department immunization programs, but supply would be very limited,” the spokesman said.

The Food and Drug Administration is meeting next month to discuss choosing the next strains to target with this year’s SARS-CoV-2 vaccines. While the CDC is advocating for a Vaccines for Adults proposal included in the White House’s budget request, the appropriations process won’t be complete in time for the fall vaccine rollout.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
A small amount of free vaccine
lol

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Gildiss posted:

Hmmm seems to be accurate.

hasn’t this been happening to cyclists the last couple of years? like, the top guys have been dropping out or retiring due to bad health. you would think, when participating in ultimate endurance events like this, that you would use all of the best precautions to protect your lungs.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Sumo has had a bunch of guys go
1) Consistently high ranked
2) Covid infection
3) Looking like they're barely holding together as the fall way down the ranks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Calling out sick as a 121 pilot on probation (self.flying)

quote:

I’ve heard the “rumor” that it’s bad to call out sick as a 121 pilot on probation, so I’m looking for insight.

I called out last month since I had a bad fever start to develop towards the end of my ready reserve shift. This month, I flew with a captain who was sick and I just got it from him. Now, I’m at the start of my four day trip and don’t know if I should call out. My ears are completely plugged up. I was sitting in the back of a flight yesterday and got really bad ear pain on descent too.

Do I call out? How do I prevent it from causing issues since I’m on probation? Am I worrying for no reason?

Update: called out sick and got myself taken off. I’ll probably get myself into a clinic later today to get a doctor’s note in case the CPO starts asking questions.

Part 121 operators are the normal kind, that move passengers or cargo on a schedule, not charters or flight schools or cropdusters. Delta and UPS are both under 121.

quote:

4 per year!? Man, you guys' employment conditions make me sad.

At my airline in Australia, they're starting to really crack down on sick leave. There's a heap of unhappiness around rostering etc, so people are taking them as "roster adjustment days". And even during their "crackdown" they're only targeting people taking >30/year.

In saying that though, you guys get paid like 5x what I get paid so it's all relative I guess.

quote:

It really depends on your individual airline. At both my regional and now the legacy I work for even on probation a pilot isn't going to hear anything from the chief until like 8+ sick calls in one year. I ended up with 8 this year (not probation) because my kids were just repeatedly sick this winter and kept giving it to me. We had covid, strep throat, hand foot and mouth disease plus about 10 different colds all since September. I got an E-mail from the chief asking about my high number of sick calls and I just sent back some documentation showing all of my kids' doctors visits and my positive covid test. I never heard anything further about it.

If you're actually sick with something long lasting that will lead to lots of sick calls just talk to your chief. Even on probation you have the ability to take FMLA leave for a few weeks or months if you need it for illness. The only way you're going to get in trouble for calling in sick is if you only call in sick on weekends and holidays, and you have an excessive number of last minute sick calls with no explanation (probably missed commutes). Try not to do those things and you'll be fine.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Shiroc posted:

Sumo has had a bunch of guys go
1) Consistently high ranked
2) Covid infection
3) Looking like they're barely holding together as the fall way down the ranks
Have they tried staying 6' apart?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Zugzwang posted:

just doing a bunch of individual hakas until the match times out

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

CGI Stardust posted:

although they're not completely clear, there are a few in the EU if you don't mind importing. haven't tried any of these, so idk how good they are

Alpha Solway Hxc-2 (FFP2) and Hxc-3 (FFP3) - https://www.harrisonsofhull.com/products/alpha-solway-p3-disposable-clear-front-panel-respirators-hxc-2-ffp3

Flawa MaXsmile (FFP2), think this might be the same as the Optrel in the US - https://vitalcarevisions.de/en/produkt/ffp2-transparent-respirator-mask-maxsmile-pro-105109-pack-of-20/

Stealth Clarity (FFP3) - https://www.stealthmask.co.uk/products/stealth-clarity-transparent-face-mask

there's also a half-mask kind of thing with the Leanmask Smile https://lean-mask.com/en/product/smile/, it says it has P2 filters but doesn't say it's actually P2-rated anywhere

I just looked up the Optrel, I didn't know that any these types of masks were NIOSH approved, apparently these are. That's pretty cool. I'd like to try one out, for the "we need to see your face" future but they don't seem to be available lol. Though I feel like when it's "we need to see your face or you go to jail" time for everyone and you wear one of these or a full face respirator, the powers that be will just say "no not like that"

E: these really do look more insane than any regular respirator or papr lmao

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 23:45 on May 18, 2024

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Aaron Collins once posted selfies in a variety of clear N95s and he looked like Rib Kid in most of them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

The NYT article quotes al-Aly saying it's not particularly worrisome but I note that it also says KP2 might be slightly more infectious than JN1 instead of less, while also being more immune evading. Oops.

Anyway, two things I noticed:

quote:

The latest on symptoms and long Covid
Doctors said that the symptoms of both KP.2 and JN.1 — which now makes up around 16 percent of cases — are most likely similar to those seen with other variants. These include sore throat, runny nose, coughing, head and body aches, fever, congestion, fatigue and in severe cases, shortness of breath. Fewer people lose their sense of taste and smell now than did at the start of the pandemic, but some people will still experience those symptoms.

Dr. Chin-Hong said that patients were often surprised that diarrhea, nausea and vomiting could be Covid symptoms as well, and that they sometimes confused those issues as signs that they had norovirus.

For many people who’ve already had Covid, a reinfection is often as mild or milder than their first case. While new cases of long Covid are less common now than they were at the start of the pandemic, repeat infections do raise the risk of developing long Covid, said Fikadu Tafesse, a virologist at Oregon Health & Science University. But researchers are still trying to determine by how much — one of many issues scientists are trying to untangle as the pandemic continues to evolve.

“That’s the nature of the virus,” Dr. Tafesse said. “It keeps mutating.”

Suddenly thinking of all the chatter I've hear about norovirus outbreaks recently. I mean I did actually get norovirus not that long ago too but it was noticeably different from Covid (granted, I'm not sure if I got JN1). How would you know without being tested? Well, about that:

quote:

Experts said it would take several weeks to see whether KP.2 might lead to a rise in Covid cases, and noted that we have only a limited understanding of how the virus is spreading. Since the public health emergency ended, there is less robust data available on cases, and doctors said fewer people were using Covid tests.

Oh no poo poo? I wonder how all of that happened.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Precambrian Video Games posted:

KP2 might be slightly more infectious than JN1 instead of less, while also being more immune evading. Oops.
Sure, but where are the hospitalizations??

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Zugzwang posted:

There was one tournament that completely fell apart because the quarantine rule was that if anyone in your stable tested positive, then the entire stable had to sit out because of how they lived and trained together in relatively small shared spaces. There was a mass outbreak impacting a ton of stables and causing a ton of rikishi to need to leave.

They solved this by just not doing anything anymore.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

monkeypox back on the menu?!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Scarabrae posted:

monkeypox back on the menu?!

From what I gather it only got substantially above an R0 of 1 in the global north, because it got into a group with severe immune system issues, namely HIV patients.

As such it will take substantial immune dysfunction in a wide swath of the global north's population, before it would really take off in the wider population. Or just running through humans enough times to evolve towards a higher level of infectiousness I suppose.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
That doesn't sound too bad. Now all we need is public health policy that doesn't promote ever-increasing substantial immune dysfunction in increasingly wider swaths of the population.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
https://twitter.com/MeetJess/status/1792194380482154575

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

wearing the mask wrong

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Scarabrae posted:

wearing the mask wrong

lol

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Scarabrae posted:

wearing the mask wrong

ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shiroc posted:

There was one tournament that completely fell apart because the quarantine rule was that if anyone in your stable tested positive, then the entire stable had to sit out because of how they lived and trained together in relatively small shared spaces. There was a mass outbreak impacting a ton of stables and causing a ton of rikishi to need to leave.

They solved this by just not doing anything anymore.

This is also how cycling solved the issue of covid tests knocking out too many riders.