Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Suspicious Cook posted:

I think it's more that Nintendo commonly has a basic game/tech demo for their consoles to show off the new gimmicks like Wii Sports or Nintendo Land. People don't particularly want 1 2 Switch but just think it's strange that it isn't following tradition and being a pack in. I sure don't have any interest in it, but I'd at least try it if I got it for free. Well, maybe. I'd also have Zelda and I sure wouldn't take that out of my console for a $60 copy of the quick draw minigame from Kirby Super Star.

It's more the sense that it feels like they're simultaneously insulting it and saying they're leaving money on the table by not including it, and I just

???

But man.

Nintendoland was a really underappreciated gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

well why not posted:

Hey so why is no one talking about Snipperclips? That game looks incredibly fun, unique and has a March release date.

There's not really anything to say about it, I guess. I'm glad that it exists because it's exactly the kind of game that my wife (whose interest in video games is limited to Pokemon and Fire Emblem) and I can couch co-op.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

lelandjs posted:

There's not really anything to say about it, I guess. I'm glad that it exists because it's exactly the kind of game that my wife (whose interest in video games is limited to Pokemon and Fire Emblem) and I can couch co-op.

Yeah, I will be getting this to play with the Mrs as well.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Did anyone actually expect Nintendo to change their ways?

I mean....not really, but even I have to try and balance my cynicism for Nintendo with SOME degree of optimism.

Seriously though, what is it going to take at this point for them to get a clue? A failure on par with the Virtual Boy?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

Nintendoland was a really underappreciated gem.

My friends and I ended up having more fun with Game and Wario than Nintendoland, though the Animal Crossing game got a decent amount of play.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Utnayan posted:

drat right buddy.

Look guys/gals/whatever, just know that this system has a lot of backwards thinking. That it won't have the 3rd party support because after the initial buzz, this thing won't loving sell and without an install base, that 3rd party support doesn't exist. Right now, Zelda plays better on the Wii U than the loving switch console. That is the loving truth. Period.

I realize what they tried to do. In the end, developing for one platform beats developing for 2. (Mobile and home console - Wii/3DS) They hosed that up with poo poo hardware design and low battery life, and then tried to hide that rushed botch job with some presentation that honestly just tried to sell you a console for an application of "Some loving dude that is anti social, doesn't know how to talk to people, so let's bring this 7" screen and some controllers to a party". I mean holy gently caress guys. Seriously. That presentation just happened. And this is how backwards Nintendo is. They had some great new design with the Wii, and now they are trying to expand on that and equalize portable and console for development. I get that.

THE THING IS THE loving poo poo loving SUCKS BEHIND NUMEROUS LOW VALUE PAYWALLS. Not only accessories, a new low bar for online! These fuckers had the opportunity of a lifetime to take out the mod market by releasing an online platform mand just saying, "Hey, by the way, when you subscribe? You will have access to ALL NES AND SNES GAMES". poo poo they haven't sold or cared about until now when they see how much cash they are losing. THEY COULD HAVE HAD MILLIONS OF PEOPLE BUYING A SUBSCRIPTION JUST TO PLAY RUSH'N'ATTACK AGAIN.

NO. Instead? They hosed that up! How? WHO THE gently caress KNOWS who makes these piss poor decisions. Instead, you get a 30 game Nintendo mock up with a controller and a 1 FOOT loving CORD.

Jesus Christ NOA. Use your loving HEADS.

Uhhhhh I'm pretty sure NoA doesn't make these kinds of decisions. They basically have a seat on the board, and they only got that last summer.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

greatn posted:

Uhhhhh I'm pretty sure NoA doesn't make these kinds of decisions. They basically have a seat on the board, and they only got that last summer.

Yeah, it's been blatant for years that NOA essentially has zero influence on Nintendo's decisions.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Utnayan posted:

drat right buddy.

Look guys/gals/whatever, just know that this system has a lot of backwards thinking. That it won't have the 3rd party support because after the initial buzz, this thing won't loving sell and without an install base, that 3rd party support doesn't exist. Right now, Zelda plays better on the Wii U than the loving switch console. That is the loving truth. Period.

I realize what they tried to do. In the end, developing for one platform beats developing for 2. (Mobile and home console - Wii/3DS) They hosed that up with poo poo hardware design and low battery life, and then tried to hide that rushed botch job with some presentation that honestly just tried to sell you a console for an application of "Some loving dude that is anti social, doesn't know how to talk to people, so let's bring this 7" screen and some controllers to a party". I mean holy gently caress guys. Seriously. That presentation just happened. And this is how backwards Nintendo is. They had some great new design with the Wii, and now they are trying to expand on that and equalize portable and console for development. I get that.

THE THING IS THE loving poo poo loving SUCKS BEHIND NUMEROUS LOW VALUE PAYWALLS. Not only accessories, a new low bar for online! These fuckers had the opportunity of a lifetime to take out the mod market by releasing an online platform mand just saying, "Hey, by the way, when you subscribe? You will have access to ALL NES AND SNES GAMES". poo poo they haven't sold or cared about until now when they see how much cash they are losing. THEY COULD HAVE HAD MILLIONS OF PEOPLE BUYING A SUBSCRIPTION JUST TO PLAY RUSH'N'ATTACK AGAIN.

NO. Instead? They hosed that up! How? WHO THE gently caress KNOWS who makes these piss poor decisions. Instead, you get a 30 game Nintendo mock up with a controller and a 1 FOOT loving CORD.

Jesus Christ NOA. Use your loving HEADS.

I don't wanna tell y'all how to do your posting, but if it were me I'd be constantly and relentlessly posting "source your quotes" at this guy.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Med School posted:

Oh ok! Got it! This guy is just angry because he's an old man.

Dude I was born in '87, I will never understand how revolutionary Duck Hunt was.

I still totally agree that Nintendo are not making smart choices at all, though. I agree calmly....

I was born in 73. Fell in love with gaming when I played Pong at age 4 at a buddies house when a pong home console came out. Had the benefit of playing Dig Dug and Tron in the arcade while listening to loving Styx and Aerosmith. Watching people play Dragon's lair with the 27" display on top of the arcade unit so 23 people could watch. It was an epic loving time. I am sorry you missed it.

With that said, I have seen millions of changes and moving the cheese. And Nintendo needs to find the new corner, and they have needed to find the new corner for over 15 loving years now. And if we blow sunshine up their asses so everyone preorders this garbage poo poo with no value behind their paywalls, we won't get anything better. Because in the end, money talks. What is purely frustrating? Money talked with the Wii U? And they are still loving this up 160% beyond that console and digging a further hole. It isn't getting better. It's getting worse with these idiots.

And it loving sucks seeing it.

Almost as much as seeing some rear end hats here trying to defend it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Conversations around the Switch basically go "Hey, there's a new Zelda game for something called the Nintendo Switch. It's also on Wii U but literally no one owns that so you may as well get the new console".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Utnayan posted:

I was born in 73. Fell in love with gaming when I played Pong at age 4 at a buddies house when a pong home console came out. Had the benefit of playing Dig Dug and Tron in the arcade while listening to loving Styx and Aerosmith. Watching people play Dragon's lair with the 27" display on top of the arcade unit so 23 people could watch. It was an epic loving time. I am sorry you missed it.

With that said, I have seen millions of changes and moving the cheese. And Nintendo needs to find the new corner, and they have needed to find the new corner for over 15 loving years now. And if we blow sunshine up their asses so everyone preorders this garbage poo poo with no value behind their paywalls, we won't get anything better. Because in the end, money talks. What is purely frustrating? Money talked with the Wii U? And they are still loving this up 160% beyond that console and digging a further hole. It isn't getting better. It's getting worse with these idiots.

And it loving sucks seeing it.

Almost as much as seeing some rear end hats here trying to defend it.

i think you're too invested in this thread right now

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I like that we let a mentally ill man rant and rave, and I caught a sixer for taking the piss out of the N64

:v:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

MMF Freeway posted:

I don't wanna tell y'all how to do your posting, but if it were me I'd be constantly and relentlessly posting "source your quotes" at this guy.

That doesn't make any sense what so ever. Source what? Everything I stated was shown on a loving stream and we all know the NES classic has a poo poo 1 foot cord to the controller. :what:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Utnayan posted:

That doesn't make any sense what so ever. Source what? Everything I stated was shown on a loving stream and we all know the NES classic has a poo poo 1 foot cord to the controller. :what:

Lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I am interested because I thought the Vita was pretty cool and wouldn't mind and updated and supported Vita. But I'm not even sure this counts as updated and supported.

I have a pre-order and just added the three games I'd buy in 2017. And then I think about cancelling it all and maybe trying the new Nvidia Shield instead, for a lot less money.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

There is definitely a cultural component to Nintendo's decisions. It's a "gently caress what the world wants" (AKA the vast majority of their consumers) and we don't want their input. We know what is best because decades ago you could go to Akihabara and get the best technology in the world, but now you can buy second hand printers and phones you've never heard of.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think ARMS looks great the more I see of it. Really gives me some Punch Out Teleroboxer vibes and I love the character design. The combat seems to have some cool strategic choices.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

what exactly is "locked" behind a paywall on the Switch again? Besides online I guess. We don't even know what that's gonna cost.

Oh no, I have to charge my controllers with 20 hours of battery life by reattaching it to the system while I'm asleep. How dare Nintendo.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

well why not posted:

i think you're too invested in this thread right now

Why? Because I love games and like talking about them and call a spade a spade? I have some free time that opened up and you are still here replying, on an internet forum. Where we collectively like to talk and trash our hobby and want to see changes made. I dunno man, why are you here then?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Utnayan posted:

I can explain. Because I can also realize the faults of VR and not hamstring it. Oh, I will also not tell the OP of this thread that he should have waited until launch day. Like a thread embargo. Holy gently caress man.

You realize he is the OP of this thread right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Soul Glo posted:

I like that we let a mentally ill man rant and rave, and I caught a sixer for taking the piss out of the N64

:v:

yo, don't go there man.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think Nintendo made any "bad' decisions with the Switch, besides the paid multiplayer/rental VC titles. Longer battery life would have be nice, but to get that they would have either needed to make the console bigger or the screen resolution smaller, and I think the balance they went with makes sense.

And just because waggle games exist doesn't mean that Nintendo is gonna be forcing it on every game like they did with the Wii. BoTW doesn't use motion controls at all and even Arms, which will probably be a better experience if you use motion controls, will support traditional button mashing.

Don't get me wrong, if you look through my posts I was salty as gently caress watching the presentation, but now that I've had a chance to look at the launch window games and the console a bit more, I'm actually fairly confident that Nintendo knows what they're doing this time around.

1-2 Switch being $50 is silly... but I'm probably gonna buy it anyway because goofy, vuagely sexual waggle games are always a blast with friends, especially if everyone is wasted.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The best thing about the switch is that i'll be able to get a wiiu for pennies in a few months so that I can play the new Zelda

edit: also, Utnayan is 100% right

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nintendo cloud service confirmed?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

In the weirdest way I am almost more excited for Arms than any other game now, except maybe Zelda. Why is this game growing on me?

It has some to have some of the same qualities that Splatoon did when it was revealed: good motion control usage, tight controls, amazing visual style. I have no interest in the game myself, but I think people who buy it will not be disappointed.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

what exactly is "locked" behind a paywall on the Switch again? Besides online I guess. We don't even know what that's gonna cost.

Oh no, I have to charge my controllers with 20 hours of battery life by reattaching it to the system while I'm asleep. How dare Nintendo.

What?

They just put online behind a paywall with limited features we are all used to as a standard with Sony and Microsoft, and to go a step further, based it on a second device. Are you loving serious right now? 70 bucks for a pro controller? 90 for two more joy fucks? $299 for a console with hardware developed in 2010? No mention of home application features like Netflix and Amazon Prime? Charging a subscription for an unproven online service with NES/SNES games that have been in a closet for 30 loving years and only letting you play one at a time for a month and then you have to buy it when everyone else is giving those games away and you can keep them as long as you stay subscribed? Maybe the term Paywall is not the right term. How about loving you up the rear end with a Visa card and giving you 10% of the benefits of the competition. How does that sound buddy?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

anyway my favorite hot take from this thread in the past few days is that "1 2 Switch" is somehow the perfect game for Donald Trump's America.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

:yikes:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TaurusOxford posted:

I mean....not really, but even I have to try and balance my cynicism for Nintendo with SOME degree of optimism.

Seriously though, what is it going to take at this point for them to get a clue? A failure on par with the Virtual Boy?

They won't, people don't change, and you won't actually listen to this and modify your expectations because funnily enough people don't change.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh yeah, they did gently caress up by making the Joycons and dock unbelievably loving expensive. I'm sure that third parties will make a ~$35 cable to replace the dock but I'm not really looking forward to dropping roughly $130 on two more Joycons and a charger so I can play four player Mario Kart, and there's no way around it, either.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
All you guys better start going to the gym so your arms don't get tired playing ARMS

Top tier esports players all gonna have huge biceps and tiny legs

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Utnayan posted:

What?

They just put online behind a paywall with limited features we are all used to as a standard with Sony and Microsoft, and to go a step further, based it on a second device. Are you loving serious right now? 70 bucks for a pro controller? 90 for two more joy fucks? $299 for a console with hardware developed in 2010? No mention of home application features like Netflix and Amazon Prime? Charging a subscription for an unproven online service with NES/SNES games that have been in a closet for 30 loving years and only letting you play one at a time for a month and then you have to buy it when everyone else is giving those games away and you can keep them as long as you stay subscribed? Maybe the term Paywall is not the right term. How about loving you up the rear end with a Visa card and giving you 10% of the benefits of the competition. How does that sound buddy?

The only thing I need to enjoy the console out of box to its fullest extent is to pay for online. I don't need all those peripherals.

The paid online thing exists because the industry has more or less forced them to do it. And if you want to see if they can prove themselves then there's gonna be a trial period for the first half of a year where everything is free. That tells me they know exactly that everyone is nervous about whether they can handle it and want to test the waters.

As for the voice chat thing, it doesn't bother me because using a third party application through Discord is preferable to in game voice chat by any conceivable metric and I'm going to be using my god damned phone or PC anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When is Love Live Idol Festival coming to the Switch

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why do people keep saying joycons are $90? It's not much of a difference but I'm fairly sure they're $80.

Also before complaining about the online I'll see if the trial is any good and how much they're actually going to charge, and wait to hear or see some details.

That trial needs to be fit the first half of the year from when you buy the system though, not for launch. People who buy at Christmas need to be able to try before they buy.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

lelandjs posted:

I don't think Nintendo made any "bad' decisions with the Switch, besides the paid multiplayer/rental VC titles. Longer battery life would have be nice, but to get that they would have either needed to make the console bigger or the screen resolution smaller, and I think the balance they went with makes sense.

And just because waggle games exist doesn't mean that Nintendo is gonna be forcing it on every game like they did with the Wii. BoTW doesn't use motion controls at all and even Arms, which will probably be a better experience if you use motion controls, will support traditional button mashing.

Don't get me wrong, if you look through my posts I was salty as gently caress watching the presentation, but now that I've had a chance to look at the launch window games and the console a bit more, I'm actually fairly confident that Nintendo knows what they're doing this time around.

1-2 Switch being $50 is silly... but I'm probably gonna buy it anyway because goofy, vuagely sexual waggle games are always a blast with friends, especially if everyone is wasted.

This is a good post. I disagree, because I am looking at the longevity of the company and 3rd party support along with value being given to the customer.

1) Online subscription should include access to all the NES/SNES games. Everyone would subscribe to that, and they would make money on a mod market where they do not capture the revenue.
2) They marketed the console to play with friends with 4 controllers, but neglect to tell you that you will be paying $90 for the other 2 controllers, with an application that just purely doesn't loving exist anyway.
3) They are using dated hardware and trying to make a profit on the hardware. They should be loss leading the hardware to build a base for install and recoup revenue on licensing. This method only hampers the experience for everyone where 4k gaming, VR, and graphics and sound DO NOT MEAN THEY ARE BETTER GAMES, but are BECOMING STANDARD EXPECTATIONS ALONG WITH THE FUN.
4) The launch line up is weak as gently caress aside from Zelda. Which is launching on the Wii U at the same time (A huge mistake if they wanted to drive sales) And Mario Kart is a loving port and they couldn't even launch with that.
5) 1.2 should be a pack in. Period. We agree on that though.
6) They made a great decision in combining home and portable development on one technical platform. They hosed that up with a poor battery life to where they actually said a minimum of 1.5 hours to 6 hours depending on the game. 1.5 hours for Skyrim? That is probably where they got that number. And they are touting a game which everyone has played already countless times over the last 5 loving years it has been in the market. While Xbox and PS have mods on their consoles, no mention of that because they are so loving behind the times they cannot even think past Mario Maker.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 14, 2017

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Utnayan posted:

Why? Because I love games and like talking about them and call a spade a spade? I have some free time that opened up and you are still here replying, on an internet forum. Where we collectively like to talk and trash our hobby and want to see changes made. I dunno man, why are you here then?

You're gonna buy a switch on launch day aren't you?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It was confirmed previously that the Wii U pro controllers would work with the Switch right?

TFRazorsaw posted:

also adjusted for inflation, the Switch is the 4th cheapest console launch of all time.

It's still pretty amazing that AAA games tend to be 50-60 USD considering that plenty of NES games cost that much, or more. I think I paid 70 or 80 for Gauntlet 2 as a kid.

Decius posted:

Not excited, but after I learned the hard way how fragile the exposed Vita digitizer is, I preordered it, because gently caress breaking a 320 € thing because it lodged badly in your bag.

You could cancel your preorder and just get the collector or master edition of BotW since it comes with a cool looking Switch carrying case.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Nintendo cloud service confirmed?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

greatn posted:

Why do people keep saying joycons are $90? It's not much of a difference but I'm fairly sure they're $80.

They're including sales tax?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, it's been blatant for years that NOA essentially has zero influence on Nintendo's decisions.

Technically, Iwata made himself the CEO of NoA in 2013. So the man in charge of NoA had the ear of the CEO of the entire company... who was himself.

The move also promoted the former CEO of NoA, Tatsumi Kimishima, into the board of directors. He's CEO of the company now.

• Locked thread