Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

wearing the mask wrong

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude
Listening to someone cough at a nearby table, sounds terrible - Not strange. Hearing the conversation turn towards sourcing and acquiring raw milk, how they are using it for everything, the benefits etc - I'm in danger.png

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

dudes rock

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Scarabrae posted:

wearing the mask wrong

It's not like she's dicknosing. Christ, you guys are too cynical for me sometimes :smith:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Scarabrae posted:

wearing the mask wrong

nah we've been over this. that's something specific you can do to n95s to increase the tension in the chin area if you'd otherwise have seal problems with movement, and it also releases tension from the neck area which can help for longer wear times. what matters if she still passes bitrex testing etc, which most people don't even do, if they're not just wearing earloop masks instead

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
I would say overall establishing normality and awareness is still good

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
besides, if respirator industry directions were meant to be followed exactly to the letter in the extreme, we'd currently be reserving their products for healthcare workers :)

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
speaking of the 3M Aura, i failed bitrex testing in one worn normally, and yet the same day passed bitrex in a readimask. opposite result from what i was expecting, considering how long i had been relying on one and distrusting the material of the other.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
anyway save that reaction for the many times someone's good mask turns out to be given to them unwanted (without the instructions at all) only to be put on upside down with straps flopping and no consideration for what the hell anything does

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Violet has rich celebrity parents and could probably do whatever she wants. But she's masking up and carrying around a good book that's harshly critical of society :shrug:

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

maxwellhill posted:

That all sounds quite acceptable. Another question -- given the high price, how is the fit and finish and quality of materials? Does it look and feel designed like a hundred dollar product?

This will be hard to estimate, but how is the quality of the clear material? Is it likely to be that common type of clear plastic that yellows and loses quality after a year or two regardless of use?

It's gonna be hard for me to evaluate this, being the kind of disposable income dipshit that bought it for obsessive hobby funsies.

It exceeded my expectations, in any case; I was expecting something far more gimmicky and less useful (others in its space are like, the Jelli M1 (scammy) and the Canopy (silicone valley $75 for your proprietary filter are you making GBS threads me)), and instead got something that I could pass a homemade fit test in that was super comfortable. I genuinely love the feel of it, the only elastomeric that comes close to that level of gentleness on my face is the FloMask, which while cheaper (but still too expensive for most) is nowhere near as solid and reliable a seal as this product and more expensive for ongoing costs. The way it clasps (a little circle disk that has to slot in between and click into the other side) isn't my favorite, however, the way the respirator is constructed means I could totally replace the elastic harness with an option I like better. The way the air comes in through the sides and out the bottom does have a small cooling effect on my face, which is a clever bit of design, though it still gets a bit stuffy hours in but I don't have a respirator that doesn't do that. (And I don't think it'd work as nicely in a high humidity area like NC anyway.)

I've had it for almost a year now, and though I do not use it frequently, there's been no yellowing of the plastic or degradation of the silicone or elastic in that time. Additionally, I'm reassured that even if the company goes out of business, I'll be able to continue supplying it with industry standard filters. I would _not_ recommend putting it in the dishwasher like the company recommends, however, that seems like a good way to abrade the plastic window.

Talking to other people is still hard in it, though, if it had a speech diaphragm it would be much easier to recommend. Now I'm fantasizing about if I could figure out how to add one....

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Checking in on Raw Milk Gang:

Oh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Just finished building a testing a high-flow (400 lpm via thermistor anemometer) powered respirator for outdoor activities with asthma. It's two 3M TR-600 PAPRs combined together. Non-detectable particulates and non-detectable ozone in the air output (ambient ozone was 35 ppb). The metal can is an additional chracoal scrubber for VOCs and ozone (3M cartidges are not very efective against ozone), and for removal of odors from the PAPRs themselves (rubbery gaskets, hoses, etc). The weight is about 20 lbs, I can probably reduce it to 10-15 lb. This is heavy, but it felt easier walking up a steep hill with the backpack and sufficient air flow, compared to a half-mask unpowered 3M respirator. Hiking with no respirator at all (powered or unpowered) would send me to the ER this time of the year.

Downsides: no heating and no humidification, so it's a warm weather device (it was 70F today). Heating is relatively easy to implement, but humidification is an engineering challenge (not mentioning the weight additional batteries needed). A regulated butane burner, perhaps :), but that's just not environmentally friendly.

It’s a thing of beauty. :jebcry:

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.

Zantie posted:

It's not like she's dicknosing. Christ, you guys are too cynical for me sometimes :smith:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Violet rocks.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if someone passed fit checks with both straps above the ear. Auras are kind of weird having both straps attach so close together anyway. If someone has to do something slightly odd with them because of their head shape or whatever, that's not shocking to me.

I usually find myself pulling the top strap way up above my ear so it's sort of balancing at the top back of my head, to keep it from hurting my ears and help hold the chin in place. If I put the bottom strap above my ear it'd slide down my nose but presumably she would notice that if it was happening to her.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

jetz0r posted:

This is also how cycling solved the issue of covid tests knocking out too many riders.

Think it was posted earlier in the thread but the riders are still getting knocked out, just not by tests

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road...rider-abandons/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think we can all agree she's somewhere on the edge of the dunning kruger curve. Me? I believe she's on the right. Probably. Hm 55/45 odds.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Speaking of public masking: I talked to my parents (NC residents) today, and they were under the impression that masks are now illegal in the state. So if the goal was to sow confusion and pwn the libs, seems to have worked.

I had to explain that no, only the NC Senate passed it, and it's currently shelved in the House.

Then they're like "maybe we'll get enough Democrats in the legislature this fall to prevent these kinds of laws from passing." :rubby:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

Then they're like "maybe we'll get enough Democrats in the legislature this fall to prevent these kinds of laws from passing." :rubby:

COVID will get enough Democrats in the legislature this fall.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Platystemon posted:

Allergies will get enough Democrats in the legislature this fall.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Zugzwang posted:

Speaking of public masking: I talked to my parents (NC residents) today, and they were under the impression that masks are now illegal in the state. So if the goal was to sow confusion and pwn the libs, seems to have worked.

I had to explain that no, only the NC Senate passed it, and it's currently shelved in the House.

Did you break it to them about the Democrats?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

icantfindaname posted:

Did you break it to them about the Democrats?
NC currently has a Democrat governor and, due to (IIRC) the state's HHS department, a pretty good wastewater monitoring system. I'm sure that will go away if the GOP candidate wins the governorship. For reference, the NC GOP gubernatorial candidate is a black man who got offended when Trump called him "Martin Luther King on steroids" ...because he hates Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights movement.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

what are the symptoms/duration of the new version, anybody had it?

have had a weird dry tongue for a week. headache around the sides of my head past four days, more difficult than usual to focus on anything. no energy to get out of bed during the day since friday, had numb hands a few times when laying down. mood is pretty flat, no super intense emotion swings like last time i was sick but no normal creative thoughts just feel dumb. some typos when writing and difficulty reading stuff like it takes a little longer to connect the letter shapes? smoking weed also not as enjoyable like i'm not making fun tangential connections in my brain.

woke up at 4 or 5 am past two nights which was a problem for me for a long time after previous infections. sleep not too bad but vivid confusing dreams about people from my past, feeling lost in my kitchen and worrying about not having a mask around big groups of people.

did one of my last quick tests today and it was negative. no cough or fever or smell/taste loss, i haven't really felt that sick just off and dumber/lazier than usual. could just be havin a bad week idk

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

have had a weird dry tongue for a week. headache around the sides of my head past four days, more difficult than usual to focus on anything. no energy to get out of bed during the day since friday, had numb hands a few times when laying down. mood is pretty flat, no super intense emotion swings like last time i was sick but no normal creative thoughts just feel dumb. some typos when writing and difficulty reading stuff like it takes a little longer to connect the letter shapes? smoking weed also not as enjoyable like i'm not making fun tangential connections in my brain.

woke up at 4 or 5 am past two nights which was a problem for me for a long time after previous infections. sleep not too bad but vivid confusing dreams about people from my past, feeling lost in my kitchen and worrying about not having a mask around big groups of people.

did one of my last quick tests today and it was negative. no cough or fever or smell/taste loss, i haven't really felt that sick just off and dumber/lazier than usual. could just be havin a bad week idk

Could be viral anything, the symptoms have always been super nonspecific other than the part where some peoples' lungs turn into yogurt, otoh the rapid tests don't work for poo poo anymore because covid can gently caress you up with really small viral loads so it could be covid, get a LAMP test like a Lucira or Metrix if you actually want to find out; you'd probably still be hot on one of those if it's covid

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Scarabrae posted:

wearing the mask wrong

*zooms in* gdi

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

I wonder if Jennifer Garner has one of those You Do You signs in her house.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
oh that's who that is? yikes

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

DominoKitten posted:

It's gonna be hard for me to evaluate this, being the kind of disposable income dipshit that bought it for obsessive hobby funsies.

It exceeded my expectations, in any case; I was expecting something far more gimmicky and less useful (others in its space are like, the Jelli M1 (scammy) and the Canopy (silicone valley $75 for your proprietary filter are you making GBS threads me)), and instead got something that I could pass a homemade fit test in that was super comfortable. I genuinely love the feel of it, the only elastomeric that comes close to that level of gentleness on my face is the FloMask, which while cheaper (but still too expensive for most) is nowhere near as solid and reliable a seal as this product and more expensive for ongoing costs. The way it clasps (a little circle disk that has to slot in between and click into the other side) isn't my favorite, however, the way the respirator is constructed means I could totally replace the elastic harness with an option I like better. The way the air comes in through the sides and out the bottom does have a small cooling effect on my face, which is a clever bit of design, though it still gets a bit stuffy hours in but I don't have a respirator that doesn't do that. (And I don't think it'd work as nicely in a high humidity area like NC anyway.)

I've had it for almost a year now, and though I do not use it frequently, there's been no yellowing of the plastic or degradation of the silicone or elastic in that time. Additionally, I'm reassured that even if the company goes out of business, I'll be able to continue supplying it with industry standard filters. I would _not_ recommend putting it in the dishwasher like the company recommends, however, that seems like a good way to abrade the plastic window.

Talking to other people is still hard in it, though, if it had a speech diaphragm it would be much easier to recommend. Now I'm fantasizing about if I could figure out how to add one....

well, that does it. i'm ordering one. thanks for everything

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

sent a PM

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:brainworms:
"Cerebral microstructural alterations in Post-COVID-condition are related to cognitive impairment, olfactory dysfunction and fatigue"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-024-48651-0 posted:

Abstract
After contracting COVID-19, a substantial number of individuals develop a Post-COVID-Condition, marked by neurologic symptoms such as cognitive deficits, olfactory dysfunction, and fatigue. Despite this, biomarkers and pathophysiological understandings of this condition remain limited. Employing magnetic resonance imaging, we conduct a comparative analysis of cerebral microstructure among patients with Post-COVID-Condition, healthy controls, and individuals that contracted COVID-19 without long-term symptoms. We reveal widespread alterations in cerebral microstructure, attributed to a shift in volume from neuronal compartments to free fluid, associated with the severity of the initial infection. Correlating these alterations with cognition, olfaction, and fatigue unveils distinct affected networks, which are in close anatomical-functional relationship with the respective symptoms.
(..)
Demographic and clinical characteristics
We present the MRI data from a cohort of 89 patients (age median 49; IQR [23] years; range: 19 to 72 years; 55 females) who fulfilled the WHO diagnostic criteria for Post-COVID-Condition (PCC group). Demographics and patient characteristics are listed in Tables 1 and 2, as well as Supplementary Data 1 and 2. Although neurological examinations did not reveal any focal deficits, patients complained about impaired attention and memory (100%), fatigue (96%), impaired multi-tasking ability (97%), word-finding difficulties (89%), and disrupted olfaction (50%). Due to these symptoms, 36 patients (40%) were unable to work and 11 (13%) had to reduce their workload. Seventy-six patients (85%) had a mild course of acute COVID-19 without hospitalization.
(..)
Based on these considerations, COVID-19 may have elicited a long-lasting inflammatory response that is still detectable in the UPC group, whereas a degenerative (e.g., accelerated aging processes) residual effect prevails in patients with PCC. Again, this hypothesis requires neuropathological verification. Interestingly, the time span between positive SARS-CoV-2 PCR and the cerebral MRI did not explain alterations of gray matter DMI parameters or spatial distribution of V-extra changes between the PCC and UPC groups. Thus, one could speculate on a slow or even non-reversibility of microstructural changes observed here. In line with this assumed chronicity, 85% of patients reporting complaints two months after COVID-19 still reported symptoms one year after their symptom onset34. However, longitudinal studies are required to make definite statements on reversibility of microstructural alterations after COVID-19 in general and in patients with PCC.
(..)
[ed. this is their explanation for why they did not see gray matter reduction like the UK Biobank study did. It isn't inherently important to their results, so feel free to skip. Tl;dr: this study has fewer severe cases, which they note is statistically significant for their own results and speculate that their study is simply underpowered. Alternatively it the gray matter decrease is a "PCC-independent consequence of COVID-19 infection".]
Douaoud and colleagues recently described increased diffusion indices within the limbic regions (e.g., anterior cingulate, hippocampal, parahippocampal and orbito-frontal cortex) and striatum of patients four to five months after COVID-19 infection in a large longitudinal MRI-study of the UK Biobank6. More precisely, an increment of the diffusion tensor imaging (DTI)-parameter mean diffusivity (MD) and the NODDI-parameter isotropic volume fraction (ISOVF) both point to an increment of free water within the aforementioned regions. In good agreement with these data, we observed in cortical and subcortical gray matter a widespread shift in volume from the extra-neurite (V-extra) into the free-water compartment (V-CSF) in patients after COVID-19 infection (pooled PCC and UPC group; Fig. 2A), nine months after a positive SARS-CoV-2 PCR result. Moreover, Douaoud and colleagues6 reported a decrease in brain volume and cortical thickness (bilaterally: parahippocampal gyrus, anterior cingulate cortex, and temporal pole; left-sided: orbitofrontal cortex, insula, and supramarginal gyrus) that was associated with cognitive decline. A similar pattern of cortical atrophy was described in a cohort of patients with PCC 11 months after infection, which was also associated with impaired attention, working memory, and processing speed7. Furthermore, a reduction in axial and mean diffusivity was detected in supra- and infratentorial white matter, while resting-state fMRI analysis revealed hypoconnectivity between left and right parahippocampal areas as well as between bilateral orbitofrontal and cerebellar areas. Accordingly, it is important to keep in mind that only approximately 10% to 25% of COVID-19 patients develop a PCC1,2. As a consequence, and despite the lack of clinical information, it can be assumed that the vast majority of the UK Biobank cohort was clinically asymptomatic and it is unlikely that results were driven by a minority with PCC. Given the similarity of results in terms of cortical atrophy and associated cognitive deficits in patients with PCC7, it still needs to be determined whether these findings are representative of PCC-associated pathology or are simply a PCC-independent consequence of COVID-19 infection. These considerations further highlight the importance of having a control group that comprises patients who had previously contracted COVID-19 but did not go on to develop a PCC. Moreover, in contrast to the aforementioned studies6,7, we could not identify cortical atrophy or a reduction in global gray matter volume in our PCC cohort. In contrast to the PCC-cohort reported by Díez-Cirarda and colleagues7, our sample included fewer patients with a severe course of initial disease. However, given that atrophy was associated with COVID-19 severity6,7, this could explain the lack of macrostructural changes in our study. Although most participants in the UK Biobank study had a mild course of disease6, the large number of participants combined with the longitudinal design of the study may have helped to identify a level of atrophy that was under the detection limit of our study.
(..)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

“mild” doesn’t mean anything anymore

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

euphronius posted:

In this case it is 1 (47% of PCC cohort/65% of unimpaired Post-COVID cohort) and 2 (38% of PCC cohort/32% of unimpaired Post-COVID cohort) on this scale:

quote:

Disease severity score: (1) no pneumonia; (2) pneumonia, outpatient treatment; (3) pneumonia, inpatient treatment; (4) ARDS, endotracheal ventilation at ICU.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:08 on May 20, 2024

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

The Oldest Man posted:

Could be viral anything, the symptoms have always been super nonspecific other than the part where some peoples' lungs turn into yogurt, otoh the rapid tests don't work for poo poo anymore because covid can gently caress you up with really small viral loads so it could be covid, get a LAMP test like a Lucira or Metrix if you actually want to find out; you'd probably still be hot on one of those if it's covid

can't really afford the fancy tests and have no respiratory problems at all really, doing my best w anti-inflammatory foods (oatmeal, pineapple, lots of spices) so hopefully on the mend now.

ty! compared to the other times i've for sure had it and felt totally out of it for weeks/months all these things are fairly, uh, "mild." still woke up early this morning but no weird dreams. only a little bit of headache that has faded away and enough energy to move around more, definitely improving. still taking it super easy though just glad to feel like my brain is working a little better today

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
I hope everyone enjoyed the lull (lol)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

that was the entire point of pissing in the messaging pool,, nothing means anything anymore and normal people tune out

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pingui posted:

In this case it is 1 (47% of PCC cohort/65% of unimpaired Post-COVID cohort) and 2 (38% of PCC cohort/32% of unimpaired Post-COVID cohort) on this scale:

in America that means everything short of being intubated is mild

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

The latest data I can find offhand:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...d-symptoms-data posted:

Self-reported coronavirus (COVID-19) infections and associated symptoms, England and Scotland: November 2023 to March 2024
(..)
5.Self-reported symptoms

Of those who tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19), the top five most reported symptoms, in the seven days prior to taking the test (each reported by over half of those tested positive), were:
  • runny nose (86.1%)
  • cough (73.8%)
  • tiredness (65.2%)
  • sore throat (64.6%)
  • headache (61.3%)
The five least reported symptoms for those testing positive were:
  • nausea (14.1%)
  • abdominal pain (13.4%)
  • diarrhoea (13.2%)
  • anxiety (12.8%)
  • memory loss (8.2%)
These five most reported symptoms were also the most reported for those who tested negative in the seven days prior to taking the test but the percentage reporting each was lower:
  • runny nose (27.0%)
  • cough (20.9%)
  • headache (19.7%)
  • tiredness (18.0%)
  • sore throat (13.2%)
(..)

(..)

Of course that is from the UK and prior to the FLiRT variants taking over, but I wouldn't expect much if any difference.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Biobot looks very different. https://biobot.io/from-raw-data-to-actionable-insights-biobots-evolution-of-public-data-sharing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

They mention Respiratory Risk Reports at the bottom as a new feature, idk if that is the case, but if they continue doing that it is much better than nothing:
https://biobot.io/latest-report/