Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Skated for the first time ever in full gear (minus shoulderpads) today. Here's a list of random thoughts I had:
  • The gear isn't nearly as intrusive as I thought it would be
  • I was not expecting my hands to get so sweaty in those gloves
  • How do you itch your nose with a cage on?
  • I hit the jackpot with this rink. 90-minute adults-only public skate for $3.00 and the average number of people on the ice at a time was about 6. It was so empty I was actually able to practice skating ~clockwise~. In a couple weeks when lessons start, it's going to be easy for me to practice drills and techniques during this time.
  • When you're actually able to go at your own pace and not having to swerve around fallen children or slowing down for the group of 4 teens holding hands, you realize how tiring skating actually is. I definitely need to bring a water bottle next time.

I'm excited to actually start learning things :dance:

Im not sure if anyone told you yet but this should be your post game/skating ritual.

Immediately remove your hockey gear from your bag the moment you get home and let it dry until its completely dry. If you forget and leave wet equipment in your bag for an extended period of time ... your gear will smell like death, urine and vinegar combined and it will never go away once its there. Bacteria is a bitch and sitting next to a guy on the bench who smells like a homeless bum is disgusting.

When I get home from a game, I enter through my garage and dump my bag out laying everything out to dry on the garage floor. I wash the soft goods every week (foot socks, leg socks, jock shorts, jerseys, towel). My stuff has no offensive odor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm the smelly guy

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We're talking about gear, not talent.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
If your gear is more then say 6 months old, theres no way it doesnt smell no matter what your drying ritual. Means you're not skating hard enough.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe you should lay off the curry.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Xzzy picking two of the best goon skaters to work on his chirp game, interesting.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well it's not like I'm ever going to bring anything else of note to the ice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody played hockey on muscle relaxers? If so, how hosed am I and do I need to stop taking them the day of the game?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Depends on what exactly you're taking. I've skated on some otc everymans relaxers and all was well but they seem to be hit and miss for me overall.

If you're on tylenol 3 with codeine or some poo poo, maybe skip the pre-game beer.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Predators built a tiny outdoor rink in downtown Nashville for the winter and they're doing a 3v3 league on it. We had our first game tonight and it was like 65 F out and humid. I'm not sure I've ever been so hot playing hockey and I was hardly wearing any gear.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been working on my shot in my basement and I'm having some trouble. If I start the puck almost at the toe of my blade and rely mostly on the wrist flick I can get a really accurate shot, but without a lot of power. When I do more of a complete wrist shot motion (load the stick, rotate hips, pull top arm back) I can get some decent power but I lose a lot of accuracy. My side to side accuracy is okay but I can't seem to get the puck to lift more than about two feet off the ground. How do I connect the motions of the wrist shot that give me power with the motions that give me accuracy?

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Well poo poo, I put together a 6 man team for a 4 on 4 pond hockey tournament, and 2 guys bailed on me. If any of you are interested in playing a weekend of pond hockey and heavy drinking, let me know. It's in Lake Morey, Vermont from Jan 27-29. $260 for the whole weekend.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

prom candy posted:

I've been working on my shot in my basement and I'm having some trouble. If I start the puck almost at the toe of my blade and rely mostly on the wrist flick I can get a really accurate shot, but without a lot of power. When I do more of a complete wrist shot motion (load the stick, rotate hips, pull top arm back) I can get some decent power but I lose a lot of accuracy. My side to side accuracy is okay but I can't seem to get the puck to lift more than about two feet off the ground. How do I connect the motions of the wrist shot that give me power with the motions that give me accuracy?

Supposedly it's the flick at the end which is supposed to provide the accuracy. What helped me a lot was to really lean on top the stick for flex to get that lift. I moved to a lower flex stick too. Also I had trouble forever with shooting while looking down at the puck, and it's only recently where I got better at just looking up and shooting. That obviously helped the most with accuracy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To lift the puck you need to open the blade of your stick to scoop it off the ice. Then you flick your hands over to point the toe of your stick at the target and assuming that goes according to plan it ends up where you want it. If you get it right you'll feel the puck roll from the heel of your blade to the toe and it really hauls rear end.

This is why "open" blade curves are popular, it's easier to lift the puck but you can do it with any stick if you get your technique down. A lot of things have to happen in a short amount of time so it takes a while to develop the muscle memory.

(and then you have to learn how to do it while a defenseman is interfering with you)

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
I'm finding my head gets really sweaty to the point I get sweat in my eyes, and because I wear rigid contact lenses I can't just squirt water on my face to wash it off/out.

Do any of you wear a skull cap or equivalent under your helmet to soak up sweat or have another suggestion that doesn't include growing my hair out to have "wicked lettuce"?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to wear a skull cap because I would sweat buckets when I was new.. the under armor ones work pretty good but the elastic will wear out.

After a year or so my conditioning improved to the point where rivers weren't running down my face and it stopped being an issue. I also feel much less thirsty during a skate so I think your body gets used to the workload and adapts.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

To lift the puck you need to open the blade of your stick to scoop it off the ice. Then you flick your hands over to point the toe of your stick at the target and assuming that goes according to plan it ends up where you want it. If you get it right you'll feel the puck roll from the heel of your blade to the toe and it really hauls rear end.

This is why "open" blade curves are popular, it's easier to lift the puck but you can do it with any stick if you get your technique down. A lot of things have to happen in a short amount of time so it takes a while to develop the muscle memory.

(and then you have to learn how to do it while a defenseman is interfering with you)

I just have a P88 for my practice stick and then my on-ice stick is an E7 which is pretty similar. I thought about getting a P92 next but I want to be able to do this with a neutral curve anyway. I guess I'll just keep firing pucks at my futon until I get it!

xryokus posted:

I'm finding my head gets really sweaty to the point I get sweat in my eyes, and because I wear rigid contact lenses I can't just squirt water on my face to wash it off/out.

Do any of you wear a skull cap or equivalent under your helmet to soak up sweat or have another suggestion that doesn't include growing my hair out to have "wicked lettuce"?

I wear a skull cap, it keeps the sweat out of my eyes and also seemed to put an end to forehead zits that I was getting after playing hockey. I've had mine for 3-4 years, elastic is still good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Loqieu posted:

Well poo poo, I put together a 6 man team for a 4 on 4 pond hockey tournament, and 2 guys bailed on me. If any of you are interested in playing a weekend of pond hockey and heavy drinking, let me know. It's in Lake Morey, Vermont from Jan 27-29. $260 for the whole weekend.

My team had talked about doing this tournament. I want to go, but no way I could make it this year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xryokus posted:

Get LASIK. Seriously. I lost a few contacts on the ice and it sucked. LASIK was the best $5k I ever spent.

More toward the cheaper end of things, I used to wear a bandanna under my helmet so I wouldn't get a gallon of sweat in my eyes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My captain is a middle aged chubby white dude with a receding hair line, graying goatee and glasses who wears a black under armor skull cap.

Literally looks like a lost cast member of the trailer park boys.

But I think it does a decent job of keeping sweat at bay. God knows it's not for the looks.

I used to get sweat in my eyes playing inline where it was always hot as balls but I don't have that issue in ice.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Get LASIK. Seriously. I lost a few contacts on the ice and it sucked. LASIK was the best $5k I ever spent.

More toward the cheaper end of things, I used to wear a bandanna under my helmet so I wouldn't get a gallon of sweat in my eyes.

Unfortunately I do not qualify for LASIK due to the corneal issue I suffer from.

Thanks guys, I think I'll look into a skull cap to start with.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Working out is cool and good and makes you a better hockey player and I feel better in game 2 of the season than I did all last season

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've been lifting since the end of September and yeah it is pretty cool. I switched to Bulgarian split squats and I can already feel myself being faster and better looking.

Is LASIK really that great?

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

prom candy posted:

Judging by the number of people who tell me to get it, yes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

prom candy posted:

I've been lifting since the end of September and yeah it is pretty cool. I switched to Bulgarian split squats and I can already feel myself being faster and better looking.

Lifting is great.
LASIK is great.

Do both.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Congrats to fuzzknot on her first beer league assist.

Also I got a secondary assist in my B1 game, which means I've gotten a point in every Austin beer league excluding the sekret AA league.

I announce this so sellouts can say something clever.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

xryokus posted:

A few guys I play with have these no sweat pads. Basically maxi pads in their helmets but they swear by how nice they are.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I'm getting lasik in like a week :toot:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The majority of my workout isn't even lifting at this point (aside from deadlifts). I can't wait for the results in 8 weeks or so.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

sellouts posted:

The majority of my workout isn't even lifting at this point (aside from deadlifts). I can't wait for the results in 8 weeks or so.

Mind sharing what you're doing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Putting a 20 minute jog into my gym routine paid off pretty well.

Also doing skating drill clinics. poo poo works you like no game ever does.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

Mind sharing what you're doing?

Right now it's heavy patterning because my form really sucks. And it depends on the days.

Yesterday is my toughest game of the week so before the game it was mostly patterning. 2 sets of deadlifts. A bunch of stride work on the glide pads. Core work by dragging my out of shape rear end across the gym by walking with my hands and my feet on glidepads. Focus on keeping hips level. Core work with the big yoga whatever ball. More stride work by keeping the core engaged with resistance with weight at chest and above head.

Monday and Friday I do a lot of work with the VIPR. Wall tosses with medicine ball. Slams. Box jumps. Deadlifts. More stride work like above.

Off days are a 20-30 min brisk walk then :45/:15 intervals on the skill mill with 45 walk and 15 at 80% resistance. Basically sled pushes.

Wish it was easier to explain. It varies greatly. Almost all focus is core and stride.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

I walk up 3 sets of stairs during my commute and call it a day.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the gyms around me have decimated their floor space to make room for classrooms or more treadmills because that's where the money is.

I can still get my lunges in but things like sleds or wall tosses just ain't gonna happen.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

My local big box hockey store has practically nothing but grip sticks now. I mean I can still go online just fine, but holy hell hockey industry

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Grip tack on sticks is pretty poo poo and I don't like it

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
You can spray paint your sticks to get rid of the grippy feeling apparently, my wife did it and is happy. You get chirped for having a spray painted stick though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Thankfully in my league chirping is reserved for either good players or assholes and I am neither.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man, I hate the offsides review poo poo in the NHL, but we got hooooooosed by a non-call last night. Tied 4-4 in the third against the top team in the league and they bring the puck in our zone. One winger was about 5 feet offsides, not even close, and the dude skates it in and they scored the game-winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xryokus posted:

Unfortunately I do not qualify for LASIK due to the corneal issue I suffer from.

Do you qualify for PRK? The laser in PRK is the exact same one they use for LASIK, but the only difference is how they get through the cornea, so people with corneal issues are often qualified to get PRK. PRK is cheaper too, but it has a slightly longer recovery time. I got LASIK back in 2003 and my eyes are still perfect 14 years later. It's amazing. :eyepop:

In today's adults-only public skate, I had the entire rink to myself for the first 10 minutes. It maxed out at 7 people on the ice.