Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bardamnu
Jan 23, 2020
COVID 24 update - people with covid:
1. Jerome Powell
2. My coworker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
jay

JAYYYYYY

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
i found some covid-safe social groups in a few regions on instagram. search for account names like “maskbloc<your local area code or city abbreviation>” or “covidsafe<local area>” to meet fellow coviders in your area. some may also do some mutual aid. off the top of my head, i recall seeing pdx, nyc, nj accounts.

the one in my area is actually covid-safe. in person meetups require at least a kf94 and are outdoors.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Spotted in /r/badwomensanatomy:

smh I hate to see misinformation

Influenza is not classified as airborne. Just wash your hands and don’t touch your face. It’s that simple, folks.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
:negative:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Blankets famously block the plague

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Doggy style was the health recommendation of the state of New York. smh at covid goons once again thinking they know better than doctors.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

The Oldest Man posted:

Blankets famously block the plague

That's why they make the perfect gift :buddy:

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Long Covid course is ‘exploiting people’, says ex-GB rower posted:

In secret recordings by the BBC, coaches can be heard telling patients that almost anyone can recover from long Covid by changing their thoughts, language and actions.

Over three days on Zoom, the course taught the ritual that forms the basis of the programme. Every time you experience a symptom or negative thought, you say the word "stop", make a choice to avoid these symptoms and then do a positive visualisation of a time you felt well.

You do this while walking around a piece of paper printed with symbols - a ritual the BBC was told to do as many as 50 times a day.

Prof Danny Altmann, a leading long Covid researcher, says such behavioural approaches disregard the "mass" of underlying damage in patients that can be measured in tests.

In some cases the Lightning Process has encouraged participants to increase their activity levels without medical supervision, against official advice - which could make some more unwell, according to NHS guidelines.

Lightning Process founder, Dr Phil Parker, who's not a medical doctor but has a PhD in psychology of health, told us his course was "not a mindset or positive thinking approach," but one that uses "the brain to influence physiological changes", backed by peer-reviewed evidence.

The coach on the course we attended said "thoughts about your symptoms, your worry about whether it's ever going to go - that's what keeps the neurology going."

"Being in those kind of thoughts is what's maintaining your symptoms," the coach said. "They're not caused by a physical thing any more."

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

The UK is really crashing super hard after Brexit. Heck, I saw the other day that they're now hiring nuclear engineers at a lower salary than a McDonald's manager would make in the USA.

Make sense that they're falling back on woo-woo because it's the only thing they got left

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Pingui posted:

Someone hasn't heard about the science of The Secret...

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Woah! No way!
"Long-COVID codes in health record may dramatically underestimate its prevalence"

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/long-covid-codes-health-record-may-dramatically-underestimate-its-prevalence posted:

(..)
"If we assume a crude 10% of SARS-CoV-2 infections result in long COVID, as elsewhere, and with approximately 20 million recorded infections in England the number of recorded long COVID cases in primary care is an order of magnitude below the estimated incidence of long COVID in England given the number of SARS-CoV-2 infections," the researchers wrote, meaning the true prevalence is 10 times higher.
(..)
"Our findings agree with previous work, that there are serious limitations with simply using EHR records as a measure of long COVID, and alternative approaches may be preferable," the investigators concluded. "However, our analysis highlights that these other methods may be limited as well, especially if they depend on a recorded positive SARS-CoV-2 test result, since we found systematic differences between those with long COVID recorded, with and without a positive test result."

The authors said that validation of outcome measures is needed to better capture long-COVID cases. "National survey data suggests that many people in the UK suffer with long COVID, but relatively few cases are recorded in primary care," they concluded. "We have shown that using EHR diagnostic or referral codes unfortunately has major limitations in identifying and ascertaining true cases and timing that severely limit its utility in shedding light on causal pathways to prevent or treat Long COVID."

Link to study proper:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(24)00217-7/fulltext#%20 posted:

Clinical coding of long COVID in primary care 2020–2023 in a cohort of 19 million adults: an OpenSAFELY analysis

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

https://thehill.com/changing-america/enrichment/education/4668183-students-missing-school-can-have-a-snowball-effect/

quote:

The number of students and teachers who miss at least 18 days of the school year has grown at an alarming rate since the COVID-19 pandemic but is becoming more problematic thanks to a ripple effect that disrupts the classroom culture across the country.

That can be blamed on the nation’s relationship with education becoming “optional,” Katie Rosanbalm, a psychologist and associate research professor with the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University, told The New York Times.

“It’s going to take all-hands-on-deck and paying attention (to the issue) week in and week out to get back to the routines that weren’t atypical just five years ago,” Malkus said.

AhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Much like the media keeps making up excuses for why people aren't buying poo poo that avoids acknowledging that people are broke, we're going to get this poo poo where they come up with any explanation for truancy that isn't "people are sick all the time."

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Much like the media keeps making up excuses for why people aren't buying poo poo that avoids acknowledging that people are broke, we're going to get this poo poo where they come up with any explanation for truancy that isn't "people are sick all the time."

dude if you want to understand you're gonna have to just crash your bike a few time and get your brain on the America level

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

quote:

You do this while walking around a piece of paper printed with symbols - a ritual the BBC was told to do as many as 50 times a day.
I do this 50 times a day already and it helps a lot with everything in general.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

I do this 50 times a day already and it helps a lot with everything in general.

I just circle the symbol-paper continuously now

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
everyone at my job is sick

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

One nugget of truth contained within:

quote:

Between illness, transportation issues, and a student’s aversion to the school environment, Attendance Now experts found absenteeism can still be linked to common excuses in most instances, along with the ongoing skepticism among parents that schools are safe.

Can't imagine why parents might be skeptical that schools are safe!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

NeonPunk posted:

The UK is really crashing super hard after Brexit. Heck, I saw the other day that they're now hiring nuclear engineers at a lower salary than a McDonald's manager would make in the USA.

Make sense that they're falling back on woo-woo because it's the only thing they got left

https://twitter.com/EnemyInAState/status/1792267811701637626

Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

Just the summer cold, no big

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Jort Fortress posted:

One nugget of truth contained within:

Can't imagine why parents might be skeptical that schools are safe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WImAEf7D8Ss

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is the UK going to be the first major country with widespread crypto adoption?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shiroc posted:

my boss has a cough and wfh

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

poo poo island

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hear that this is the Fortnut thread.

Wait. Nevermind. No one here is “young”.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
ahh yes, fortnut and not the private equity restaurant real estate playbook

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Time is a flat circle https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...ce44f6357&ei=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Just have to keep the documented cases under two hundred and change to slip below Lollapalooza 2021, which was considered a great public health success.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We've got a bird flu outbreak in Australia but it's H7N7 (which we've had here for a while already) and not the H5N1 strain which is tearing up the rest of the globe. We've had to cull hundreds of thousands of chickens anyway.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2024-05-22/avian-influenza-bird-flu-detected-at-victorian-poultry-farm/103877560

Livo
Dec 31, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We've got a bird flu outbreak in Australia but it's H7N7 (which we've had here for a while already) and not the H5N1 strain which is tearing up the rest of the globe. We've had to cull hundreds of thousands of chickens anyway.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2024-05-22/avian-influenza-bird-flu-detected-at-victorian-poultry-farm/103877560

Sorry Snowglobe, just a few hours after the H7N7 outbreak was reported, a case of the lovely H5N1 strain was discovered in an Australian child returning home from overseas. Hurray? :brainworms:

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/healt...ontent=Bird_Flu

quote:

A case of avian influenza A (H5N1) infection, also known as “bird flu”, has been reported in Victoria. This is the first human case of H5N1 avian influenza in Australia. The case occurred in a child, who acquired the infection in India and was unwell in March 2024. The avian influenza virus was detected through further testing of positive influenza samples that takes place to detect novel or concerning flu virus strains, as part of Victoria’s enhanced surveillance system. Contact tracing has not identified any further cases of avian influenza connected to this case.

First human H5N1 case reported in Australia as another highly pathogenic strain of bird flu detected on Victorian farm

quote:

The Victorian health department on Wednesday reported that a child who had recently returned to Australia from India had tested positive to the H5N1 virus. The child, who arrived in Australia in March, experienced a “severe infection” but has since made a full recovery and contact tracing has not identified any further cases of avian influenza.

The virus was detected through the state’s disease surveillance system, in which positive influenza cases are subject to further testing to identify novel or concerning flu virus strains.

It removes Australia’s status as the only continent not to have a confirmed case of H5N1 in a bird or mammal. The H5N1 strain has yet to be detected in birds in Australia.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Livo posted:

Sorry Snowglobe, just a few hours after the H7N7 outbreak was reported, a case of the lovely H5N1 strain was discovered in an Australian child returning home from overseas. Hurray? :brainworms:

https://www.health.vic.gov.au/healt...ontent=Bird_Flu

First human H5N1 case reported in Australia as another highly pathogenic strain of bird flu detected on Victorian farm

Here we fuckin' go :toot:

Oh and everyone cross off the "WHO claims no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission" square on your pandemic bingo cards

quote:

Only one case has been reported in a human in an apparent transfer of the virus from another mammal: a man in Texas who had been in contact with dairy cows. The World Health Organization has said the spread of the virus to dairy cattle is an “enormous concern” but the director general, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, this month said the virus had so far shown no signs of adapting to human-to-human transmission and public health risk remained low.
:v:

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

was a good run

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao saw a nurse saying that in pre-covid they would do a diagnostic test for POTS like maybe once a month or so.

Now they're doing the diagnostic test 3-5 times weekly. Gee whiskers I wonder what's going on

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://x.com/guardiannews/status/1793058745012142219

quote:

The number of people under 40 being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the UK has risen 39% in six years, fuelled by soaring obesity levels and cheap junk food.

Yeah it's definitely just the food that's changed since 2018 🤔🤔🤔

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

blunt posted:

Lockdowns and home deliveries caused the obesity :ssh:

Apr 7, 2003

39% increase in six years is absolutely loving catastrophic

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

blunt posted:

quote:

The number of people under 40 being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the UK has risen 39% in six years, fuelled by soaring obesity levels and cheap junk food.

and of course, it's not just young people

quote:

Diagnoses are rising at a significantly faster pace than among over-40s, for whom the increase was 25% in six years.

absolutely tragic to see such a huge spike in diabetes beliefs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

blunt posted:

It is interesting to note that they are probably right, but also very wrong in their assessment.

So there has been an increase in the years prior, but it was relatively flat and consistent - this is due to the reasons mentioned and constitutes most of the increase. Then it temporarily flatlined during the first pandemic year.

What is concerning, considering the association between COVID infections and diabetes, is that this increase appears to be increasing in pace of increase. It might seem odd that it is increasing at this time, rather than directly after the large waves, but I submit that while the research has namely focused on the first 30 days post infection, it is more than possible and arguably probable, that it would take more time to go see a doctor about it, particularly if you are otherwise not in a risk group. But also - even disregarding a direct causal relationship - we would expect the amount of long COVID sufferers with reduced daily activity to result in an increase over time, rather than immediately.