Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the rest is fine but unspectacular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cheetah7071 posted:

how do you gently caress up the starting four notes

This ain't your daddy's start truck. Ready for me TO BLOW YOUR MIND?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Bohemian Nights posted:

that's just an urban myth. maybe you should sign up to starfleet so you can take some basic temporal mechanics classes and not make an rear end out of yourself on the galaxy wide web

I uh... already took that class, but the timeline in which I did so was subsequently erased. :ninja:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They didn't perfect the technology required for those four notes until Kirk's time

During Enterprise they didn't even have the technology to get it approximately right, which is why we had Faith of the Heart

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks faith in my heart kicks rear end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

yeah actually they will posted:

Rick Berman account spotted

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Voyager has the best opening imo

Shame about the other 50 minutes of runtime

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As a sci-fi action movie, i really like Into Darkness. The USS SuperHitler was terrifying when it was coming up behind the Enterprise, and as an earlier posted, actually had some moral quandaries presented. It just goes really off the rails at the end.

In the middle of the battle, McCoy is just seeing if he can bring a tribble back to life, because you know, becuase that's what you do.

It's actually a waste of Cumberbach, because he is actually a really good villain, he's just saddled with the baggage of being Khan. Couldn't they have made him another augment leader?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

For how poo poo Voyager was it had a really good intro, micro-gas giant in the opening aside.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I like the song itself, but it's both fitting and entirely unfitting at the same time, which is hard to articulate.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Faith of the Heart was initially weird, but it really grew on me. :shrug:

I didn't like how they made it more upbeat when the show took a darker turn with the Xindi arc, but it was still alright.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Into Darkness. As a sci-fi action movie, It's actually a waste

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cross-Section posted:

Gahhh, they hosed with the opening bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dYJ2dXKAIs

Otherwise an okay-rear end theme with some tonal cues from Giacchino's stuff.

I'm actually okay with using (and changing) the opening notes like that. It says it's rooted in what's come before, but it's not quite the same thing.

The middle part is a little generic but perfectly serviceable.

The part that bugs me is at the very end, where it uses the famous ten-note theme from TOS and TNG. That's the leitmotif for a ship named Enterprise, not one named Discovery or Shenzhou. Look at The Doomsday Machine, or the reveal of the Enterprise-A in ST4. Let the ships keep their theme music, drat it! :argh:

Ah well. Part of me is still hoping we get to see the USS Constellation show up and do something awesome, accompanied by a strong, triumphant version of its sad-sounding theme.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

It's actually a waste of Cumberbach, because he is actually a really good villain, he's just saddled with the baggage of being Khan. Couldn't they have made him another augment leader?

They could've made him Joachim instead of Khan. Section 31 finds the Botany Bay, IDs Khan's cryo pod, fucks up the revival process, Khan dies, so they settle for Joachim, but he's kinda understandably pissed off about it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Or alternatively just throw the entire script in the garbage and start over

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There should have been a side effect to being brought back to life with Tribble blood. Like you revive pregnant with Tribble and then one of the lesser characters, perhaps Chekov, calls him James Tribblerius Kirk. Spock raises his eyebrow and the movie ends.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Sash! posted:

There should have been a side effect to being brought back to life with Tribble blood. Like you revive pregnant with Tribble and then one of the lesser characters, perhaps Chekov, calls him James Tribblerius Kirk. Spock raises his eyebrow and the movie ends.

Hello Chris, hi. Yeah. Oh, fine, thanks for asking. Just calling to let you know we did a quick rewrite so we'd like you to come in to do a little extra ADR. Yeah, sorry. Actually, it's tribble noises this time. Y'know, from the show, those little furball things. Mm hmm. Kind of a cat-pigeon sound. How are your purrs and coos?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hey guys let's make a star trek but also make it look and sound like a cheap rear end video game tie in from the early 2000's, that'll get the youngsters to pay to see it for sure!

I want this show to either be really good or aggressively bad so as to be entertaining either way, but it's going to chug along for at least 3 seasons of mediocrity without the gimmicks of dick jokes/the producers actually liking the genre to carry it

e: we're caught in a loop of lovely star treks made to appeal to people who don't like or care about star trek, I recommend decompressing the main shuttlebay

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 12, 2017

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tighclops posted:

Hey guys let's make a star trek but also make it look and sound like a cheap rear end video game tie in from the early 2000's, that'll get the youngsters to pay to see it for sure!

I want this show to either be really good or aggressively bad so as to be entertaining either way, but it's going to chug along for at least 3 seasons of mediocrity without the gimmicks of dick jokes/the producers actually liking the genre to carry it

This show will still be crappy probably but come on, the theme isn't THAT bad. Also I don't know what you mean about looking cheap, the art direction is a bit schizo but the effects have been fine in the trailers we've seen.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Discovery theme sounded like a knockoff that you'd hear in a Star Trek parody or homage. Also misses an important piece of every Star Trek theme ever, which a melody that you can whistle, hum, or plunk the notes of out on a musical instrument.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

e: we're caught in a loop of lovely star treks made to appeal to people who don't like or care about star trek, I recommend decompressing the main shuttlebay

I suggest using the tractor beam to alter the ship's trajectory. :geno:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

This show will still be crappy probably but come on, the theme isn't THAT bad. Also I don't know what you mean about looking cheap, the art direction is a bit schizo but the effects have been fine in the trailers we've seen.

I don't want to poo poo on the FX too hard since that stuff is always the very last to get finished but most of the trailers look like an expensive fanfilm to me. Then again, so does The Orville, except the look works for that show since it's not trying so hard to be the new gritty incarnation of this serious classic science fiction dramablooblarghashghg and more of a love letter to what that once was.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Discovery theme sounded like a knockoff that you'd hear in a Star Trek parody or homage. Also misses an important piece of every Star Trek theme ever, which a melody that you can whistle, hum, or plunk the notes of out on a musical instrument.

Yeah, this is the main thing. Even Rick Berman Treks had memorable, hummable themes (ENT not withstanding) outside of the lovely sonic wallpaper of their incidental music. Discovery's theme is disappointing by comparison.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Faith in my Heart sounds like the theme song to a christian Trek parody

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Delsaber posted:

They could've made him Joachim instead of Khan. Section 31 finds the Botany Bay, IDs Khan's cryo pod, fucks up the revival process, Khan dies, so they settle for Joachim, but he's kinda understandably pissed off about it.

Congratulations, you just put more thought into the plot of Into Darkness than the screenwriters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Faith of the heart is fine. It's not great, and it's not beautiful like the VOY or DS9 themes or exciting like the TOS or TNG themes, but it's fine.

I really think the bitching about the "micro gas giant" in the VOY opening is incredibly dumb given the possibilities of the real universe let alone the trekverse where the answer is one of a hundred subspace inversion fields, quantum warp particles, or other :techno:

Re: new theme - I don't understand the choice of the first four notes, but this might be a trial balloon? When they got to the end though I had feelings that I don't want right now. Goddamn it I want this to be good so badly and it probably loving won't be.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I suggest using the tractor beam to alter the ship's trajectory. :geno:

Voting thread "3" so we'll know what to do next time.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

Sometimes I think he's stacking the deck.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Discovery's theme should be disco (very).

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Skinny Pete will always have the definitive transporter answers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIsauNJ392o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX1AGFHIros

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's ok but it's weird that it borrows so much from the TOS theme. Yes, the TNG theme was basically the same as the theme for TMP, but it still sounded distinct from the TOS theme.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The whole concept of the show is trying to get back the (hilariously misunderstood) appeal of TOS and pretending Berman era never happened so that really isn't weird at all imo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's an attempt to sell baby boomer nostalgia with 2000 sci-fi sensibilities to a millennial/genx audience on a DOA platform.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 12, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Saw this today at the Hallmark Store.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is Bortas the one who can sense death? I'm confused. Is the union a precursor to the Federation? When is this set?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It takes up an entire course at the academy

I watched the first DS9 Mirror Universe episode the other night and got a kick out of the fact that the original Kirk incident was taught in the academy. History classes must be awesome in the 24th century.

Powered Descent posted:

Ah well. Part of me is still hoping we get to see the USS Constellation show up and do something awesome, accompanied by a strong, triumphant version of its sad-sounding theme.

I'm wondering if the show will last long enough for them to eventually throw in a reference to the Enterprise.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

So is Bortas the one who can sense death? I'm confused. Is the union a precursor to the Federation? When is this set?

Mark Watney survived on Mars because he was a secret Augment and his midi-chlorian count was, at the time, the highest ever recorded.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The funny thing is the People who watched TNG growing up are probably the target market for Trek more than anyone else. We're the people who for 7 years lived and breathed TNG. We kept going with DS9 and Voyager, even though it wasn't good we still watched it because it's Star Trek!

I said it before, that I think they went with a TOS reboot rather than trying something else is because to everyone else, Star Trek is Kirks bad acting and Spock saying something about logic. They weren't appealing to us, they were appealing to everyone else.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

I think it probably has most to do with the fact that Abrams has just lately proven a TOS reboot can put asses in seats, and the small screen end of the franchise wants to get in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Tighclops posted:

Their calculus is probably that people who care about Star Trek will watch it anyway for the name so all the appeal can be safely aimed at other people. And I'm not prepared to say they're wrong.