Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
I don't know how many of you like Rinoa but https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10151481413088098&id=99207468097

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Yeah Chris Brokaw played some pretty cool stuff, I thought. His singer-songwriter stuff was alright and when he went electric, he was layering feedback and droning riffs with a loop pedal and it got loud as hell. Crowd seemed to dig it, too.

And yeah to reiterate the new album is so good live. I was lukewarm on it going into the show but it gave me a new appreciation for it.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

stringstheory posted:

Chris Brokaw of Codeine.

Same, I thought he was intensely boring once he went electric.

stringstheory
Mar 3, 2005

if you wish to roll a joint from scratch you must first invent the universe:420:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah that's the same dude we got :shobon:

Haha welp. I rather liked it all myself. My friend actually liked him better than Mono which is blasphemous to me but he was also just tagging along for something to do that night and also he's weird.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

gosh you guys this is some really lovely stuff i've just found

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SAP0zDq8PI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ9BozEN_LE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoOxwEw-S9U

they're mellow as hell, and they've got a killer brass section and pedal steel

EDIT:

not quite sure this counts as post rock but i just can't stop listening to this lately. plus the whole album is pretty awesome overall.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Oct 28, 2012

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

When my friend and I saw Mono the other night, we were sprinting down the street because they were scheduled to go on stage in like 30 seconds. We got to the venue, and while picking up our tickets, didn't hear any music coming from inside.

The second we walked in the door, the huge opening crash of Legend played. It was the best entrance to a room I'd ever had.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Could someone please come murder me in my sleep tonight because me and my brother were meant to see GYBE tonight and we both forgot.

We're desperately trying to find someone selling tickets for Monday's show.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Could someone please come murder me in my sleep tonight because me and my brother were meant to see GYBE tonight and we both forgot.

We're desperately trying to find someone selling tickets for Monday's show.

Stand outside, I bet someone will sell one.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Nuclear Spoon posted:

This isn't post-rock related but I just realized I missed DFA1979 tonight because we didn't have tickets and just had to show up to the door. This is the worst.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Parachute Underwear posted:

This isn't post-rock related but I just realized I missed DFA1979 tonight because we didn't have tickets and just had to show up to the door. This is the worst.

Wait, DFA1979 is playing shows again?! :stare:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

Canadian tour with PS I Love You (who loving ownnnn) ongoing, I will be seeing them tomorrow night.

I would be more pumped if the DFA dudes weren't such insufferable twats but whatever. I'm gonna get drunk and bootleg the show specifically because they asked the crowds not to take video.

So tonight I finally got to see Esmerine after waiting like 5 years cause they barely play live and tour even less. The venue was a beautiful church and the crowd was dead silent the entire time, like until the last barely audible note, then a second pause before thundering applause. The kind of crowd that should be at that kind of show.

I got everyone to sign my LPs but Brian was one of those "I don't really sign stuff" kind of dudes so I asked him if he would draw something instead. I ended up with a pair of elaborate eyes on Aurora and a horse coming out of the curtains on the front of La Lechuza. I also picked up Charles Hayward's Trademark Ground EP with the laser etching #27/300. Apparently Sarah Neufeld from Arcade Fire opened the show but I was at work at missed her set, but she did play with Esmerine so it's all good.

Oh and dude who loving FORGOT about seeing Godspeed: you should probably re-evaluate your life at this point. How can that even happen?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
It's okay! Apparently my brother has found tickets! Wow! Thank gently caress!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Seppuku averted. :colbert:

BillWh0re
Aug 6, 2001

Nuclear Spoon posted:

I went last night and it was really great. I can't quite tell if Behemoth is really meant to be one 45 minute track or two tracks joined by drone. The doomy western feel of the first half is just brilliant.

BillWh0re fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 5, 2012

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
New Sigur Rós song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPEhKNlPLBo

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

BillWh0re posted:

I went last night and it was really great. I can't quite tell if Behemoth is really meant to be one 45 minute track or two tracks joined by drone. The doomy western feel of the first half is just brilliant.

I really can't wait for tonight, ahhh! I really, really hope they play Sleep. Also desperate to hear Behemoth properly, although the live bootlegs floating round seem pretty good. I hear they played Sleep last night?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/godspeed-you-black-emperor/2012/hmv-forum-london-england-6bdaba46.html

They played Storm.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Yeah I texted my friend and he confessed that he made a mistake. Either way, tonight should be really awesome.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
Sleep and We Drift.. would loving kill it for me.

McFoxigator
Jun 13, 2011

Life is full of twicky decisions...

edit: nevermind.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Do they ever play the "Broken Windows Locks of Love" section of Sleep? That's my favorite piece of Godspeed and from what I've heard they usually don't play it that far.

for reference http://youtu.be/AjrxpeI45V4

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/godspeed-you-black-emperor/2012/hmv-forum-london-england-1bdab1c0.html

goodness gracious me

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...

the Bunt posted:

Do they ever play the "Broken Windows Locks of Love" section of Sleep? That's my favorite piece of Godspeed and from what I've heard they usually don't play it that far.

for reference http://youtu.be/AjrxpeI45V4
As far as I can tell the most recent time they played that movement was around 2000. This past spring when they did five nights in San Francisco I asked Mike Moya if they would be playing either J.L.H., John Hughes, or Broken Windows any night of the week. He laughed a little and said they probably would not be playing those songs because they hadn't been practicing them and (specific to Broken Windows) the last time anybody had played it was 10+ years ago.

There are some recordings on archive.org of Broken Windows from back in the day, e.g. http://archive.org/details/gybe2000-03-20

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I was really disappointed with their newest album, but if the next one has more like this on there I will be extremely pleased.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

That was beautiful. What I wouldn't give to have been there...

On the subject of GY!BE's new song, yes, Godspeed, you can have a 30 minute intro. :allears:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'm in love with the new Hammock album. I like how they've gone almost full on post-rock but have still kept the same feel and atmosphere as their ambient stuff. It's like they've turned a dial away from ambient and towards post-rock.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Wikipedia posted:

In the 2nd November 2012 edition of the Icelandic daily newspaper Morgunblaðið (p.44) Georg Hólm confirmed that the band had already started work on a new album, due to be released some time in 2013. He described it as a dramatic change of direction, "an anti-Valtari".

:flashfap:

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Okay that makes me really excited for that album. And I say that as somebody who loved Valtari.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I enjoyed Valtari the one or two times I listened through it, but none of the songs stood out to me so I haven't really felt a reason to listen to it again in months.

If they put out a new album that's more accessible with catchier tunes, I'll be all over it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I don't listen to Valtari as much anymore, but I am constantly going back to Dauðalogn and the title track. The choir in Dauðalogn is incredible.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Sigur Rós 2013 tour

Goonspeed.

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 12, 2012

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Of course they're skipping over my hometown :smith:

Guess I'll have to road trip to one of the Texas dates!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

So I didn't know this but there's two bonus tracks on Valtari, both of which are drones. Godspeed's first post-hiatus album also had two drones and they came out of hiatus at the same time. :tinfoil:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cymbal Monkey posted:

So I didn't know this but there's two bonus tracks on Valtari, both of which are drones. Godspeed's first post-hiatus album also had two drones and they came out of hiatus at the same time. :tinfoil:

Efrim's alter ego is a gay elf with a glass eye.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Efrim's alter ego is a gay elf with a glass eye.

Who is also a raw food vegan.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

All signs point to them playing Coachella.

Aww yeah.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
A counter-piece to Valtari will be very welcome. I wanted to like it but I found it pretty bland if I'm honest :/ Alleluljah, Don't Bend, Ascend has kind of crushed all the other post rock I've heard this year though... Waking Season is good when I want something at the more "twinkly" end of the spectrum though.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
And I feel so proud
to be alive
HDBA was pretty samey and not exactly new, even if I did like it a lot.

I'd say Waking Season's been at least one of the best of the genre over the past 2 years, if not the best. Maybe it's because I've seen them live now, but no album springs to mind which affects me the same way.

I don't think a lot's happened since 2008.

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Nov 13, 2012

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Opening date in dc :rock:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Nuclear Spoon posted:

HDBA was pretty samey and not exactly new, even if I did like it a lot.

I'd say Waking Season's been at least one of the best of the genre over the past 2 years, if not the best. Maybe it's because I've seen them live now, but no album springs to mind which affects me the same way.

I don't think a lot's happened since 2008.

Pretty sure it's just because you've seen them live, I'd describe Waking Season the same way you did Allelujah!