Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

jivjov posted:

Breeding for specific natures or perfect IVs, EV training, etc are all completely unnecessary for playing through the games themselves, and even for casual battling. Only the Battle Frontier post-game stuff or competitive battling requires that sort of dedication to numbers.

Well that's good, because I've tried to find stuff on building decent teams for various gym leaders/games and it always comes back to IV's/EV's, natures, blahblahblah. So I'll just keep my tried and true Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, Rock, Misc. team structure.

Also, unrelated to Pokemon, I took your advice and just downloaded FE Fates and I really like it a lot, so thanks jivjov!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

jivjov posted:

Breeding for specific natures or perfect IVs, EV training, etc are all completely unnecessary for playing through the games themselves, and even for casual battling. Only the Battle Frontier post-game stuff or competitive battling requires that sort of dedication to numbers.

Playing through the games is fun and all, but post-game and competition are fun and you are at pretty severe handicaps by not taking the time to breed/train certain moves from certain gens, getting those perfect Speed IVs -- I know it adds depth but it just seems like a barrier to entry. Would love to see IVs at least go away with Sun/Moon and keep natures and EVs for customization purposes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Variable_H posted:

Well that's good, because I've tried to find stuff on building decent teams for various gym leaders/games and it always comes back to IV's/EV's, natures, blahblahblah. So I'll just keep my tried and true Fire, Grass, Water, Electric, Rock, Misc. team structure.

Also, unrelated to Pokemon, I took your advice and just downloaded FE Fates and I really like it a lot, so thanks jivjov!

If you play as normal you'll be insanely over levelled for every gym anyways so types will only marginally factor into things.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's probably worth remembering how many kids play pokemon

You really don't have to worry about EVs/IVs/breeding etc

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
The last pokemon game I played was pokemon black. I was tragically bad at it and got my rear end kicked on the regular, which is why I didn't get xy.

I liked calling it pokemon racism.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Kin posted:

Kinda crossposting from the Bravely Second thread, but is there a way to consistently trigger a streetpass hit between two 3DS'?
You'll get more villagers by updating data once per day than you will by Streetpassing with a single 3DS.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Are the new pokemon 3ds bundles worth seeking out? Or should I just buy a normal one and digitally download?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Turbinosamente posted:

In addition to what everyone else said, have you cleaned out the street pass gate on both systems? My ex-boyfriend never remembered to clean out his, so our systems wouldn't detect. Its a max of 10 people, by the way.

So you gotta make sure to check the streetpass gate on both 3ds' to get a second hit the next time on your main 3ds?

irlZaphod posted:

You'll get more villagers by updating data once per day than you will by Streetpassing with a single 3DS.

Well, yeah but an extra 1-3 a day wont hurt.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Cbear posted:

Are the new pokemon 3ds bundles worth seeking out? Or should I just buy a normal one and digitally download?

Depends if you want the upgraded features. It only really matters for Smash and Monster Hunter, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sun and Moon end up having some enhanced features if played on a n3DS like playing Gen 5 on a DSi did.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kin posted:

So you gotta make sure to check the streetpass gate on both 3ds' to get a second hit the next time on your main 3ds?

It was more a suggestion to make sure the gate wasn't full of people on either 3ds. If one 3ds is full it won't street pass anything until the gate is emptied. If I understand this question correctly I think when 3ds A streetpasses 3ds B until you clean B out of the gate of A it won't hit B again. I am not very sure of this so take it with a huge grain of salt, I sort of remember this being the case but can't test it anymore.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
:lol:

Amazon oversold and cancelled my Pokemon N3DS order in the middle of the night. I guess it's a good thing I decided to go to Target yesterday and pick up the last one they had...

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

It's probably worth remembering how many kids play pokemon

You really don't have to worry about EVs/IVs/breeding etc

if you ever wanna play against other people though it's kinda disheartening to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. like, i don't care about this poo poo i just wanna use the friends i became champion with

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Looper posted:

if you ever wanna play against other people though it's kinda disheartening to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. like, i don't care about this poo poo i just wanna use the friends i became champion with
My rule of thumb is that whenever you get to a point where people can say, "Here's where the REAL _____ begins!" about a video game anything it's time to put it down. It's always sounded like that's where the real Pokemon begins and anyone in their right mind should move on.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Looper posted:

That's whatchu gotta do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kJ9wp-mog8

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Meldonox posted:

My rule of thumb is that whenever you get to a point where people can say, "Here's where the REAL _____ begins!" about a video game anything it's time to put it down. It's always sounded like that's where the real Pokemon begins and anyone in their right mind should move on.

but then i would've given up on dark souls a lot and i liked the ending!

i knew what this was going to be and i'm glad i clicked on it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Looper posted:

Meldonox posted:

Breeding Pokemon can be a pretty relaxing thing thanks to all the QoL improvements in gen 6, it's honestly it's more fun to make the supermons than it is to battle with them.

Also I dunno if they're still doing it, back when the game came out so many people were dumping their stuff that just slightly missed the mark you could've raised a team of near-perfect Pokemon that were missing Defense or Sp. Defense or some other stat that didn't matter that much entirely off of people's Wonder Trade castoffs

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I lucked myself into a reserved-cancelled 20th anniversary new 3ds. It is my first handheld since the pre-clam game boy advances. I take it the system transfer stuff doesn't concern me since I've never bought anything from nintendo? I'm looking for more games than the OP gives. I just bought Bravely Default since I liked the art style and it got good reviews. Next is Rune Factory 4, Link between worlds and ocarina of time. Pokemon xy was there too but I'm worried if I would like it or not, and then I also don't know which one to get x or y. Is there a Z coming out?

Broose fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 28, 2016

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
After reading a bit about TN v IPS and then seeing one in person, I wonder if I can ever be happy with my TN screen again.

Seriously, WTF Nintendo. How can you sell two things at the same price that are vastly different.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

After reading a bit about TN v IPS and then seeing one in person, I wonder if I can ever be happy with my TN screen again.

Seriously, WTF Nintendo. How can you sell two things at the same price that are vastly different.

Do you play with your 3DS at an angle or something?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Andrast posted:

Do you play with your 3DS at an angle or something?

Doesn't matter if it is at an angle. Looking at it dead on I can tell the difference. Brighter, sharper colors. Deeper blacks on the IPS.

E: an old link that is what started this for me: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=156855835

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Yeah, the only thing IPS has over TN is better contrast for deeper colors. You'll notice it side to side, but on its own, not much. Unless your looking at your 3DS by the sides all times, it shouldn't matter.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
But it does. I was walking up to the 3ds display and immediately noticed a difference. So then I did the tests and immediately understood why people return their units if they are TN. I hadn't looked at one since I bought mine a year ago so never really thought about it. Then I noticed someone talking about it and saw that link and then today and yeah..loving sucks.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Just noticed mine is a TN. Never even knew it was a thing until just now. I think that should go into the OP with sirens, cause I sure as hell wouldn't have just bought one if I knew. I doubt gamestop will take it back now that I've opened it up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Broose posted:

Just noticed mine is a TN. Never even knew it was a thing until just now. I think that should go into the OP with sirens, cause I sure as hell wouldn't have just bought one if I knew. I doubt gamestop will take it back now that I've opened it up.

There is no way to know until we open it. But if you just bought it, return it. And you're right, it should be in the OP as NO ONE would want a TN if they could have an IPS instead.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I have an IPS XL that I system transferred to the Pokemon 20th N3DS this weekend. So far it hasn't bothered me because despite the smaller TN screen, it looks sharper. I'm giving myself the week until the system transfer cooldown is done, but so far I'm not minding it.

Edit: Should also mention the scanline effect the XL has is very much less pronounced on the non-XL which I like.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Huh, i do have two N3DSes which looked kinda different, and that must be it. This explains why one of the two is so sucky to look at - it has an IPS screen.

I offloaded that one onto my brother for MH4U coop purposes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am a little annoyed that Shin Megami Tensei IV doesn't have a Miiverse page because I was all set to make this awesome Escape From New York reference about K and I can't!! Now 8-year-olds will never see this joke they won't get!! :argh:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Ah I must have a normal n3ds despite having a manual that says n3ds xl. Were there XL 20th anniversaries editions? Apparently all the small ones have TN, and it is the standard? I am not so much bothered about this anymore if that is the case.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Broose posted:

Ah I must have a normal n3ds despite having a manual that says n3ds xl. Were there XL 20th anniversaries editions? Apparently all the small ones have TN, and it is the standard? I am not so much bothered about this anymore if that is the case.

No, there were never any 20th Anniversary Pokemon XL's. It's strictly the smaller ones. Yes all the small ones have TN and is the standard. XL's are the only models that switch between the two types of screen.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For what it's worth yes all non-xl nu3ds have tn panels

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Broose posted:

They included the XL manual with the standard n3DS'.

flyboi posted:

For what it's worth yes all non-xl nu3ds have tn panels

Are we sure about that? The one I got yesterday doesn't appear to have any color shifting when viewed off axis.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Ah. Well since such is the case I will be happy with mediocrity.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

TN screen is fine. IPS screen is fine. By fine, I mean neither are good, because they're both tiny and both low resolution.

If anything, the TN is better considering the application -- a small screen you look at head on 99% of the time. The TN is also more accurate with colors, but this doesn't matter because you're playing video games not editing images/video for professional media. The IPS screen has richer colors (read: pumped up contrast) but washes out a few shades of dark colors/grays to black. Again, it's not a big deal unless you're looking for it, and it's only really obvious in a handful of situations (that underground MH4U map with all the lava comes to mind; can't see poo poo on the IPS screen.)

All N3DS (non-XL) have TN screens, most N3DS XL's have IPS screens. If you've played on a N3DS XL and like the pumped up contrast, you have to have an N3DS XL for that. If you don't care about that and want a N3DS, go for the smaller one. Otherwise, there's no good reason to worry about getting TN vs. IPS and not that good of a reason to return multiple times until you get one or the other. I traded my IPS N3DS XL to get a N3DS and don't miss the IPS screen one bit. Every once in a while I'll pick up a kiosk N3DS XL at a store and be like yup, still don't care.

enojy fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Feb 28, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

enojy posted:

TN screen is fine. IPS screen is fine. By fine, I mean neither are good, because they're both tiny and both low resolution.

If anything, the TN is better considering the application -- a small screen you look at head on 99% of the time. The TN is also more accurate with colors, but this doesn't matter because you're playing video games not editing images/video for professional media. The IPS screen has richer colors (read: pumped up contrast) but washes out a few shades of dark colors/grays to black. Again, it's not a big deal unless you're looking for it, and it's only really obvious in a handful of situations (that underground MH4U map with all the lava comes to mind; can't see poo poo on the IPS screen.)

All N3DS (non-XL) have TN screens, most N3DS XL's have IPS screens. If you've played on a N3DS XL and like the pumped up contrast, you have to have an N3DS XL for that. If you don't care about that and want a N3DS, go for the smaller one. Otherwise, there's no good reason to worry about getting TN vs. IPS and not that good of a reason to return multiple times until you get one or the other.

I laugh at all the posts between NeoGAF and GameFAQs of people buying and returning systems because of it. :lol:

Waste of effort.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Is there any way to get a black N3DS right now? So far I've just seen the animal crossing and pokemon bundles with white hinges. Something about it looks off to me and I really, really want to "downsize" to it and throw on zelda plates, but it would annoy me so much.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nephzinho posted:

Is there any way to get a black N3DS right now? So far I've just seen the animal crossing and pokemon bundles with white hinges. Something about it looks off to me and I really, really want to "downsize" to it and throw on zelda plates, but it would annoy me so much.

In North America? No. Not unless you import a European or Japanese one and do homebrew stuff to get around region locks or firmware downgrades to do other :filez: type things to region change the system itself.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In North America? No. Not unless you import a European or Japanese one and do homebrew stuff to get around region locks or firmware downgrades to do other :filez: type things to region change the system itself.

Whelp back to playing Fire Emblem on my MM N3DSXL and starting a file of OR on my OOT 3DS... while my girlfriend plays Animal Crossing on my LBW 3DS XL. I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i guess i have the bad screen but i would've never noticed without reading that angry gaf post, i'll probably forget about it by tomorrow, and i don't really give a poo poo

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Broose posted:

I lucked myself into a reserved-cancelled 20th anniversary new 3ds. It is my first handheld since the pre-clam game boy advances. I take it the system transfer stuff doesn't concern me since I've never bought anything from nintendo? I'm looking for more games than the OP gives. I just bought Bravely Default since I liked the art style and it got good reviews. Next is Rune Factory 4, Link between worlds and ocarina of time. Pokemon xy was there too but I'm worried if I would like it or not, and then I also don't know which one to get x or y. Is there a Z coming out?

There's no Z coming out; instead Gen 7 is coming during the holiday season. I would look up the version exclusives for X and Y and make your choice from those.

If you like simple turn-based JRPGs or collecting poo poo, you'll like Pokemon. It's a very charming series. There's also the competitive scene, if you're into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Just to add to the dead-horse-beating of IPS vs TN, I have an IPS nXL and a TN one and the difference is so clear. IPS just looks crisper than TN does.