Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, agree on the gold chests. The gold chest item pool seems to have expanded a lot though, so it's watered down a bit.

I love going back to items in boss trap rooms. Taking them out was one of the worst changes from flash Isaac to Rebirth. But I have not figured out how to get into them. I've seen them closed at zero red hearts.

Boss trap rooms only open when you have one total heart, so you can't enter with 1 red heart and 8 soul hearts anymore. (Unless you bomb your way in through a secret room)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, agree on the gold chests. The gold chest item pool seems to have expanded a lot though, so it's watered down a bit.

I love going back to items in boss trap rooms. Taking them out was one of the worst changes from flash Isaac to Rebirth. But I have not figured out how to get into them. I've seen them closed at zero red hearts.

You need one heart *total*, not just red. So theyre tough to get into.

Annoyingly they also did this for whore of babylon so that items now useless. edit: i THINK this is true anyway from my limited experience with the item in repentance--maybe it would activate with a half red heart or fewer still. Hope im wrong.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 1, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

PostNouveau posted:

They removed nearly every "head" item from the gold chest pool and added some others in. If you're curious about specifics the patch notes has its own subsection for what they did to gold chests.

Boss trap room now require you be at 1 heart, either red or soul, full stop. Got all soul hearts and an empty heart container? Too bad, you can't enter. If it spawns next to a secret room you can still bomb in without needing to be at low health however.

e;fb I guess lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Boss trap rooms only open when you have one total heart, so you can't enter with 1 red heart and 8 soul hearts anymore. (Unless you bomb your way in through a secret room)

Hmmm.

Alright, I guess that's a step in the right direction

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kawalimus posted:

Annoyingly they also did this for whore of babylon so that items now useless.

Wow that's dumb as all hell

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Kawalimus posted:

Annoyingly they also did this for whore of babylon so that items now useless. edit: i THINK this is true anyway from my limited experience with the item in repentance--maybe it would activate with a half red heart or fewer still. Hope im wrong.

I just did a run with Whore of Babylon (as Judas) and it still works with soul/dark hearts.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Dark Grapefruit posted:

I just did a run with Whore of Babylon (as Judas) and it still works with soul/dark hearts.

Ok good maybe it just doesnt activate at a full red heart then.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

If you go to your save file, then go to Stats, and press Alt + F2, you can sync your save file with your Steam Achievements. It should unlock anything that you have the achievement for.

Holy poo poo this is a thing? That's loving rad and thanks for the hot tip

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hey question for folks,

I tried playing the game yesterday given that there's this new update and whenever I try to launch the game it just crashes. I previously had one mod installed (the one that shows what each item does) and it sounds like the new update may have broken the game if you had mods.

I tried removing the mod, changing ini settings, removing my save data, reinstalling and nothing seemed to work.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kawalimus posted:

Ok good maybe it just doesnt activate at a full red heart then.

Wasnt this always the case with whore of babylon, unless you were eve?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

SiKboy posted:

Yup.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

A few mods like item descriptions are already fully integrated but they said it's two weeks until support will be switched back on.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

SiKboy posted:

I guess I just forgot that then. No wonder I thought it had changed! Been a while since i played regularly.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

axeil posted:

Hey question for folks,

I tried playing the game yesterday given that there's this new update and whenever I try to launch the game it just crashes. I previously had one mod installed (the one that shows what each item does) and it sounds like the new update may have broken the game if you had mods.

I tried removing the mod, changing ini settings, removing my save data, reinstalling and nothing seemed to work.

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Did you unsubscribe from the mod? Are there any folders left behind when you Uninstall? Maybe under My Games or Steamapps. The way I did it and saw others do it was to clear out their mods before downloading the new game and so far no problems.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harlock posted:

Did you unsubscribe from the mod? Are there any folders left behind when you Uninstall? Maybe under My Games or Steamapps. The way I did it and saw others do it was to clear out their mods before downloading the new game and so far no problems.

Yep. Unsubscribed, cleared out the mods folder in My Documents and it still crashes.

Changed the ini setting for modsenabled to 0 as well.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SiKboy posted:

oh okay cool. I always liked trying to make Whore of Babylon work for 1/0-red heart runs

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Anyone else's non-Repentance game acting a bit fucky atm? I think it's because it's April Fool's Day, so I'm getting the bearded Keeper but also all the characters past him are invisible. :raise:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Here's a cool and hosed up little detail:

Isaac.exe:

Isaac.exe, when you're in the alt character selection screen:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

axeil posted:

Yep. Unsubscribed, cleared out the mods folder in My Documents and it still crashes.

Changed the ini setting for modsenabled to 0 as well.

Just to confirm, I wiped out everything related to Binding of Isaac from my computer, made sure I didn't have any mods installed and deleted my saves, re-installed to a different folder/drive and still got the same crash (intro video plays audio but no visuals and no input accepted)

:psyduck:

How is this even possible?

edit:

Fixed it!

https://old.reddit.com/r/bindingofisaac/comments/8iimmu/need_help_fixing_this_strange_startup_crash/

This reddit thread describes the exact issue I'm having and the solution seems to be changing your Nvidia control panel settings. I turned off auto-sharpening, low latency mode, max framerate and virtual reality pre-rednered frames.

axeil fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 1, 2021

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

axeil posted:

Just to confirm, I wiped out everything related to Binding of Isaac from my computer, made sure I didn't have any mods installed and deleted my saves, re-installed to a different folder/drive and still got the same crash (intro video plays audio but no visuals and no input accepted)

Do you have cloud saves on? Steam is really aggressive about replacing them if you try to delete anything and it could be choking on that.

edit: never mind

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 1, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Have you angered any djinn recently?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Level 1 Thief posted:

Do you have cloud saves on? Steam is really aggressive about replacing them if you try to delete anything and it could be choking on that.

Just posting again to clarify for folks on what I did to fix it:

If you have a set max frame rate in Nvidia Control Panel, the game will crash on startup. Turn it off under program settings and the game should work

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I know this is getting into galaxy-brain ideas guy territory but has Ed ever considered turning the game into an actual no-poo poo arcade game? In one of his interviews he mentioned that the original vision was making it play like an arcade game and it seems like it'd be relatively successful

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

John Murdoch posted:

Having read that giant changelog, definitely feeling like I made the right choice to wait and see. Some of the changes are sensible, but a lot of them are just needlessly petty and Stop Having Fun over actually being well considered.

this expansion is the most fun Isaac has been in years tbqh

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I know this is getting into galaxy-brain ideas guy territory but has Ed ever considered turning the game into an actual no-poo poo arcade game? In one of his interviews he mentioned that the original vision was making it play like an arcade game and it seems like it'd be relatively successful
Would I be paying fifty cents for forty five minutes of gameplay?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

No Wave posted:

lol that's one of the things that's been stumping me. if the price goes much higher no one will play it. it's also pretty long for an arcade in general

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Like $0.25 microtransactions for an extra life? There's a shortage of arcades to be making new cabs for.

E: actually it would be a totally sweet custom cab, if I had what a house to put such a thing in.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

an actual no-poo poo arcade game
Isaac without the poo poo? Not happening.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

No Wave posted:

a quarter a run would see me broke inside of a day
wait, wait no - make it a PENNY per play

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

No Wave posted:

the game itself would be free to play but the only way to get pennies is by spending actual pennies

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Item that converts in game coins to credits

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Jusupov posted:

Any clips of these in action?
Here's a couple for the first, heavy spoiler warning.
https://streamable.com/1m3t9k https://streamable.com/4c28no

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

You know, reading how Hard Mode is apparently real Hard now, I think I might try and get at the very least all Hard marks on the Lost before I buy. I only have Hush, Mega Satan, Greedier and Delirium left. I guess if you unlock Godhead before buying the DLC you get to keep it right?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Also,

I haven't played Isaac in forever and I never really finished it or even really beat the bosses. Is Repentence really hard (I generally suck at the game)? Should I stick with Afterbirth+?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

axeil posted:

Also,

I haven't played Isaac in forever and I never really finished it or even really beat the bosses. Is Repentence really hard (I generally suck at the game)? Should I stick with Afterbirth+?

Repentance is about the same difficulty for the usual path (basement -> chest/mega satan/void), but the alt paths are slightly harder than normal, with better rewards. The grey portals were all moved to the Void, so the early game feels easier than ever.
Hard mode is way harder than before and some of the optional late game stuff is very difficult.

If you're not aiming for 100000000000%, any casual isaac player should be fine.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The Alternate Keeper feels very like the rainbow chest runs in Enter the gungeon.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TopHatGenius posted:

DLC rocks. The game is harder in general but I love it. Even managed to unlock one of the new characters pretty early and I dig her ability.

Fun bug I found with her: When I picked up BFFS my wisp minion's sprite expanded to a size larger than the screen and vanished, casting a shadow across the entire room. Every other wisp summoned would do the same for the rest of the run.

I just had this happen. It was so weird and annoying since I couldn't see at a glance how many I had left. Thankfully I had Guppy's Head, so I was constantly refreshing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Augus posted:

this expansion is the most fun Isaac has been in years tbqh

I'd be more into it if there was an easy way to keep a pre-Repentance save/install side by side with the fully updated game. Isaac has been, believe it or not, some real comfort food for me over the last year+. I boot it up to chill out and to have something reasonably complex for my brain to focus on. Repentance sounds like it's maybe a better game in the abstract, but I'm not looking for a better game atm. :shrug:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 1, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Jacob&Esau hosed my mind so badly that during a run I forgot how to lay bombs. I am not kidding. I had to go to google to look up how to do it again. I had zero idea. Just suddenly in the middle of a run where I had been laying plenty of bombs.

I somehow won my first run with that character(chest) with Ludovico technique of all things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

(Post-door spoilers question) Do the alternate character versions have their own unlocks to go with having their own post-it note?