Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you have an Intel based Chromebook you should be able to just grab your choice of source port and go wild. For the ARM chromebooks, Chocolate doom might be your only choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
PRBoom compiles on ARM architectures, it's used for a lot of the Android DOOM engines, and is used for DOOM for the Nintendo DS (also an ARM system).

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Bread Pudding posted:

Oh TecToy, you crazy bastards. :allears:

I'd known about their Street Fighter 2 port for the Sega Master System (done by what I can only imagine were acolytes of the elder gods and/or dark sorcerers), but not this. This is amazing.

Probably only released in Brazil just like their street fighting atrocity.

Unrelated early FPS note : pistol-starting the default Heretic map set is a nightmare, do not do it. Doom always starts you off near a shotgun or chaingun. Hexen has the decency to give you a good first weapon and drops a mana weapon one or two maps into a hub, at worst. Heretic loves that goddamn elven wand and you better love it, too, because even E1 maps will start you halfway across the map from a crossbow, dragon claw or - worst case scenario - the stupid gloves.

Those gloves kick rear end and you know it :mad:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'm running Ubuntu on an ARM Chromebook. Is PrBoom compatible with any PWADs PrBoom+ would be compatible with? If so that's probably my best bet.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

apophenium posted:

I'm running Ubuntu on an ARM Chromebook. Is PrBoom compatible with any PWADs PrBoom+ would be compatible with? If so that's probably my best bet.

Yes. The only difference is PrBoom+ has some extra features that are mostly handy for dudes who record demos. The level compatibility is the same.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

MONKET posted:

Those gloves kick rear end and you know it :mad:
I've honestly never really used the Gauntlets any, even knowing that they can heal you if you have a Tome of Power on-hand.

Then again, I almost never use Doom's chainsaw, either, except as an absolute last resort. Much prefer using one of the two shotguns if I'm going to be at point-blank range with an enemy.

Also, I just learned that Wolfenstein (2009) has Tomes of Power, complete with a metal skull and Heretic symbols on the cover. That is awesome.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

The Kins posted:

The "Carmack's Reverse" technique was replaced in the source code release and BFG Edition with a less optimized means of doing much the same thing. The lack of shadows casting from your flashlight was apparently a deliberate change because Carmack thought it looked ugly. I think they added an option to turn it back on in a patch?

I don't think it was Carmack, but that's otherwise basically correct: flashlight casting shadows were removed since it created some very ugly shadows, and were re-added later on I think even in the UI as an option, but definitely a console setting. All the other lighting is the same, or improved, over D3 (lights were added in a lot of places since the tech + computers/consoles could actually handle it without dying)

As I understood it, the always on flashlight wasn't in D3 because of performance reasons. People even complained about the duct tape mod slowing things down in high action sequences back then.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Played a few more custom Quake 1 SP maps.

Tower of Dal Gurak : This map is big and has an assload of enemies (over 300 in Hard!). The map has three new enemies; a large, Quake-ified version of the Imp from Heretic, an Ogre that fires a spread of nails instead of a single grenade, and a goat dude that summons the Heretic Imps from earlier and shoots a small wave of very powerful electric balls. You can now carry 250 shells and nails, and you will need most of them. This map is great for testing your Quake combat mettle, as it gives you a lot of different scenarios to test your skills on and you don't have the full arsenal to easily kill everyone with. In fact, you'll be spending most of your time with just the Super Shotgun, Nailgun, and Grenade Launcher, with the Super Nailgun only appearing at the end (and you will need it after you get it, trust me!) This map is great for in-fighting fans, as you can make things a lot easier by making enemies fight (in fact, one room pretty much requires it!). The map flows well, with no obvious issues. One neat thing about it is that the map has two paths at the very start, which converge to one main path about 1/4th into the map. One path frontloads the difficulty at the start and has some Spawns to deal with near the end, but it gets you on the main path faster. Highly recommended.

Rubicon: I wasn't sold on this map when first playing it, but looking back, it's quite good, though I think the newer base maps I've played are better. The gimmick is pretty cool; it's a Base map, but most of your ammo pickups come from dead Grunts, not ammo boxes laying around. You get a Nailgun, but the ammo for it is so limited that it's literally an emergency weapon. You get the Super Shotgun about halfway through, and you will be quite happy when you get it. The map design is straightforward; a minuscule amount of backtracking and it's impossible to get lost. My main issue is that the map is way too stingy with health pickups; there's about less than a dozen of them total, which sucks when you're dealing with hitscan enemies. Once you get used to how it plays, it's quite fun and worth a play.

And All That Could Have Been: This map uses the base theme and looks quite good. Some really cool brushwork makes the map stand out visually and makes the map a must-play for anyone interested in how good Quake 1 can look. Combat is good; there's a lot of non-base enemies in this map, so you'll be dodging Ogre grenades while being shot at by Enforcers and Grunts. Props to the last fight, which starts out simple, but ends with two Shamblers, two Ogres, a Fiend, and six Enforcers hitting you at once in a multi-level arena. Good positioning and a full Super Nailgun, which you get just before entering the arena, are essential for survival. As far as base maps go, I enjoyed it more than Rubicon and it shows how ading non-base enemies really spices up base maps' combat.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

Also, I just learned that Wolfenstein (2009) has Tomes of Power, complete with a metal skull and Heretic symbols on the cover. That is awesome.

:psyduck:

Raven are wasted on COD map packs, I tell you.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Hell yeah it does, Wolf '09 is great. Shame it seems to have pretty much been forgotten. (poo poo, did they ever put it back on Steam, even?)

rip Raven (technically not but being forced to crank out COD map packs is a fate worse than death for a classic FPS dev)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

apophenium posted:

Depends what you intend to do with it. PrBoom is definitely not compatible with some maps that PrBoom+ will happily accept, but they tend to be really huge maps so maybe not the kind of things you'd try on such a platform anyway. Here's the few salient points on the top of my head:
1. MUSINFO
2. Extended nodes
3. Blockmap overflow fix
4. High-res textures, including in PNG or DDS format (only in GLBoom+)
5. Quake/Half-Life style skyboxes (only in GLBoom+)

The typical example would be Voodoo Guns, which has so many requirements it only works with GLBoom+ or GZDoom.

Outside of mapping/modding features, PrBoom+ also features an actually accurate Doom.exe v1.2 complevel, so if you have some 1.2 demos you want to watch and they involve demons or spectres attacking at some point, you won't have desyncs with PrBoom+ but you will with plain old PrBoom.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

M.Ciaster posted:

(poo poo, did they ever put it back on Steam, even?)
They haven't and I'm hella bitter about that. Physical PC copies are kinda pricey now.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

closeted republican posted:

Granted, this is during Quake 1's development, but Romero knew that gibbing and gore was funny if done right.

https://www.quaddicted.com/interviews/americanmcgee

Looking at Doom, you can see the same thing. The silly death animations, from Imps turning into red mush to Cacodemons deflating like a balloon, are a contrast to the corpses, impaled torsos, and grimdark stuff you see in the game.

EDIT: Forgot source.

Doom's atmosphere uses gore, both cartoony and realistic, as tools to make the player feel like a badass.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

apophenium posted:

Does anyone have any experience getting Doom to run on a Chromebook running a Linux distro via crouton? I haven't been able to find much literature on the subject myself. Hopefully I'd be able to use a relatively modern source port as opposed to DOSBox.
I know this is not directly relevant, but it reminded me that one of the future goals of Chocolate Doom is to create an emscripten/asm.js version specifically to be played in browsers on things like Chromebooks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know, I seriously have to wonder why more indie devs don't gently caress around with any of the open-source idTech engines, given how hot "old-school style FPSes" were for a while. You'd think making a new IWAD for the Doom engine (or poo poo, messing with one of the Quake engines) wouldn't be that tall of an order.

e: where I'm going with this is, a full game built around DoomRPG/DoomRLA's mechanics would kick so much rear end

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Google adventures of square BRO

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You know, I seriously have to wonder why more indie devs don't gently caress around with any of the open-source idTech engines, given how hot "old-school style FPSes" were for a while. You'd think making a new IWAD for the Doom engine (or poo poo, messing with one of the Quake engines) wouldn't be that tall of an order.

e: where I'm going with this is, a full game built around DoomRPG/DoomRLA's mechanics would kick so much rear end

Well it is kinda difficult for someone just starting out to do more than make an FPS, and a lot of them really don't want to make straight up FPSes. Also even if they did want to just make an FPS, a lot of them aren't experienced enough to compile their own source port with new features, and if they use existing ports to start with there can be serious licensing issues for a commerical product.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think there currently is a project for a GZDoom fork with no licensed code.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Halfway through The Plutonia Experiment and I almost forgot how much it hates you and everything you stand for. How many times are they gonna spawn Revenants behind me whenever I do something? Or start me out on a new map with an enemy right behind me already attacking?

I'm also running Scythe II with Samsara as Quake guy for whenever I don't feel particularly masochistic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Grimthwacker posted:

Halfway through The Plutonia Experiment and I almost forgot how much it hates you and everything you stand for. How many times are they gonna spawn Revenants behind me whenever I do something? Or start me out on a new map with an enemy right behind me already attacking?

Every time. It's not very good.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm also running Scythe II with Samsara as Quake guy for whenever I don't feel particularly masochistic.

Run Scythe 2 on UV around level 23+ and you'll be begging for Plutonias difficulty again.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

maev posted:

Run Scythe 2 on UV around level 23+ and you'll be begging for Plutonias difficulty again.

I feel like even the first Scythe gets pretty wild around that point, as well.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Is there a mappack for doom 1 or 2 that simply has the wolfenstein 3D levels? I feel like playing them in Doom, but I'm having no luck googling it up.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Morter posted:

Is there a mappack for doom 1 or 2 that simply has the wolfenstein 3D levels? I feel like playing them in Doom, but I'm having no luck googling it up.

I believe there was one called Wolfendoom that did that. It's older, though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Anything like that only has 10 or so levels. I'm hoping for one that has all 27 (or however many levels wolf3d has)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Morter posted:

Anything like that only has 10 or so levels. I'm hoping for one that has all 27 (or however many levels wolf3d has)

It did though. The one I played did at least. This is the one I was speaking of. Even has some original missions.

http://www.doomworld.com/wolfendoom/index2.html

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh neat, that seems like just what I was looking for!

Aww crap, the download links don't seem to work. It links me to AtomicGamer which has no such links.

I'm seeing updates and remakes in the zdoom forums though. Here's hoping.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like even the first Scythe gets pretty wild around that point, as well.

Yeah once you hit Hell in Scythe 1 the gloves come off, it's nuts. I still haven't successfully pistol-started map30 yet, though it's not something I try very often anymore. Playing through new, slightly less ball-busting maps is more exciting than slamming my face into that particular brick wall over and over.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Morter posted:

Oh neat, that seems like just what I was looking for!

Aww crap, the download links don't seem to work. It links me to AtomicGamer which has no such links.

I'm seeing updates and remakes in the zdoom forums though. Here's hoping.

I remember having to search for those files too and finding them. They're still out there. I had them but lost them in a HD crash. Maybe link your findings :shobon:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

I remember having to search for those files too and finding them. They're still out there. I had them but lost them in a HD crash. Maybe link your findings :shobon:

I'm using this and it's EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! :bubblewoop:

In particular, I wanted to play the wolfenstein levels while using wild weasel's nazi mod, and it's perfect. Thank you!

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Morter posted:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/directory.php?id=1665

I should edit that page to have proper links I guess.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Linguica posted:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/directory.php?id=1665

I should edit that page to have proper links I guess.

Oh snap. Well for what it's worth, when I search "wolfendoom" on the top right I get "no search results". Still, thanks :confuoot:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Morter posted:

I'm using this and it's EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! :bubblewoop:

In particular, I wanted to play the wolfenstein levels while using wild weasel's nazi mod, and it's perfect. Thank you!

Oh snap! I never even thought of this! I'm asking for a lot but would you report back on how compatible it is? I'm out of town right now or I'd try it myself.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

Oh snap! I never even thought of this! I'm asking for a lot but would you report back on how compatible it is? I'm out of town right now or I'd try it myself.

Oddly enough? Not as compatible as i'd like! For some reason, that version I posted has the keys--which are necessary for completing levels--into weapon drops.

This older version seems to have the key items working properly, but obviously only has a couple of things in it as opposed to ALL the maps that the first link I gave had. :(

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Morter posted:

Oddly enough? Not as compatible as i'd like! For some reason, that version I posted has the keys--which are necessary for completing levels--into weapon drops.

This older version seems to have the key items working properly, but obviously only has a couple of things in it as opposed to ALL the maps that the first link I gave had. :(

drat! I was worried about that. I guess that TC is too out of date to be compatible. If I had any know-how I'd take a crack at it but alas, I can only enjoy the fruits of the Doom community's labor. I cannot craft it. Overwrought and extreme melodramatics aside, thanks for a least trying :)

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 27, 2015

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Alain Post posted:

I think there currently is a project for a GZDoom fork with no licensed code.

It'd probably be better to extend Vavoom or the like to avoid any accusations of impropriety. Though really if I was going to do it, seeing as I'd end up breaking compatability anyway because I'm an idiot like that, I'd rip out DECORATE and the like and replace them with an actual scripting system... at which point you rip out the Doom behavior from the core engine... and eventually end up with a crappy version of Unreal Engine 1. Probably not the best idea then.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Just as a heads up, the first part of a HUGE Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter mod called Serious Sam HD: Extended is out on Steam Workshop. It aims to revamp the entire TFE and TSE campaign with new enemies (including some from SS3, like the Space Monkeys), new maps, and new bosses. The classic maps have goten a visual update and have more enemies (in both types and enemy count) now. The Legend of the Beast maps are in it and have been updated so they don't suck anymore and, and most importantly, are now a part of the regular TFE campaign instead of being a seperate campaign.

The mod covers everything up to Karnak ATM. You'll need the LotB DLC in order to play.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=468808409

I haven't played it yet, but it looks great for anyone looking for some co-op fun.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Geight posted:

Yeah once you hit Hell in Scythe 1 the gloves come off, it's nuts. I still haven't successfully pistol-started map30 yet, though it's not something I try very often anymore. Playing through new, slightly less ball-busting maps is more exciting than slamming my face into that particular brick wall over and over.

Maps 23+ on wads like speed of Doom / Scythe 2 are where my pistol start uv no save runs tend to end. That poo poo takes a lonnng time to get down.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The nice thing about the super-hard levels in Scythe is that they tend to be very no-scumming friendly because they're short. Then you hit MAP30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010
What I dislike about most Doom 2 megawads is how ridiculously huge later maps get. Even Going Down somehow does this, with the last five or so maps being a slog (whereas the rest of the WAD was all really short levels).

For some reason, this rarely occurs in Doom 1 megawads.