Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Paradoxish posted:

Yes? I don't know why a research reactor automatically has to make for a good set piece. The issue is similar to the brewery problem in ST09, the whole location just doesn't feel like a place that should be on the ship.

Both breweries and nuclear reactors should be on spaceships, actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In the same room if possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess Star Trek Starships ran out of ideas so now they are just redoing some of them two times larger for 60 dollars each.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Ensign Ro. Picard is getting his hair cut as if he had any. And the barber might be talking about a previous episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The sassy barber who gives his opinions freely is my new favorite character

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I remember the name Bajorans but not exactly who they were or what their deal was.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This station again

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Man that's a gorgeous shot.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

All Admirals Are Bastards

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

All these oblique references would have made me think for certain I missed an episode if I was watching when it aired.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So she committed some kind of war crime?

When Riker got up in her grill I thought it was gonna be to flirt but it was to tell her to take her earring off.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

drat

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

When Riker got up in her grill I thought it was gonna be to flirt but it was to tell her to take her earring off.

This is a classic power move from Riker. When a woman gets off the transporter pad on the Enterprise the first thing she encounters is Riker ordering her to take something off.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"The camp on the southern continent"

Man that world must be empty

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
From the Greatest Generation Facebook page, since the hosts brought it up:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

When Keeve told Picard he could never endure if they switched places I thought for a second they might.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Really wanna know what that report to the admiral about

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard found his jacket :whew:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Even more intrigue

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Even more intrigue

Your choice here: either the admiral is bad or something else

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

THE ADMIRAL'S TRYING TO DO AN IRAN-CONTRA

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

:stare:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

drat so the admiral's plan he told Ro was another lie because she wouldn't cooperate if she knew the truth, and she'd have no recourse when she found out she was lied to.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Can't believe how hard that Cardassians played that admiral. What a dumbass.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh yeah and I like the shantytown set.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Episode over. It strongly implied she'll be a recurring character so I wonder if they'll go further into her backstory. Cause they implied what she's infamous for wasn't her fault but I don't think they said exactly why.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

All the themes and episodes you really seem to enjoy are basically DS9.txt. I know people keep saying it, but you should really give it a shot after TNG.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can't believe how hard that Cardassians played that admiral. What a dumbass.

If Rank=Admiral Get(f<script={EVIL_PLAN}>
)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

If Rank=Admiral Get(f<script={EVIL_PLAN}>
)

Admiral Hanson was all right. Admiral Nechayev might be a thorn in the Enterprise's side but she isn't evil.

Plus, you know, Jim Kirk was an Admiral for a little while.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Is Admiral Ross evil if he did basically the same kind of things Sisko did?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

All the themes and episodes you really seem to enjoy are basically DS9.txt. I know people keep saying it, but you should really give it a shot after TNG.
Ironically, "Ensign Ro" was not written to set up the premise of DS9. Planning for the series started around the time the episode aired, but it took a while for the concept to solidify beyond "frontier town in space." The introduction of the Cardassians and their occupation of Bajor were spur-of-the-moment creations from TNG that the producers and writers eventually decided to incorporate into DS9's premise later on.

Also, according to Memory Alpha, the Bajorans were going to be oppressed by the Romulans in the first draft of the episode, but Rick Berman, of all people, decided they should switch to the Cardassians, so I suppose he deserves some credit for giving us our favorite lizardy space Nazis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kibayasu posted:

Is Admiral Ross evil if he did basically the same kind of things Sisko did?
Sisko never worked directly with Section 31...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think the Cardassians may be my favorite race in trek, even if you only count their TNG episodes. The paranoia and secrecy of the Romulans with the war culture of the Klingons and vaguely ancient Egyptian ship design. It helps that lead Cardassians were consistently played by really charismatic actors.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I caught snippets of Redemption Pt II on TV.

I need to fast track it to the front of my list.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

and vaguely ancient Egyptian ship design.

Eh, I always thought the Galor kinda looked lame and didn't really fit in with the rest of the aesthetic they developed for the Cardassians on DS9.

Hideki was a nice merging of the two, though.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think the Cardassians may be my favorite race in trek, even if you only count their TNG episodes. The paranoia and secrecy of the Romulans with the war culture of the Klingons and vaguely ancient Egyptian ship design. It helps that lead Cardassians were consistently played by really charismatic actors.
Mine too. After looking at some of the production notes and such, I'm wondering if part of their appeal is that they're the most "human" of the Trek antagonists. We've often argued in these threads about how Trek has a bad habit of boiling its aliens down to just one trait, like "Klingons = honor" or "Romulans = treachery." With the Cardassians, while they have their own values and ways of looking at the universe, there is more latitude to them. It's easy to imagine Cardassians from different walks of life and with different attitudes towards their society, mostly because DS9 showed us a fair amount of both.

There's also the point that the Cardassians are fascinating because, in their own way, they represent a dark mirror to the Federation. The Federation has always been portrayed as the ideal society; after humanity's hardships in the 21st century, we pulled ourselves up, achieved enlightenment, and set out to make the universe a better place. For the Cardassians, that enlightenment never came; they ran out of resources, authority clamped down on their society just to keep civilization functioning, and everything they've done since has been in the name of mere survival. If the Federation is the platonic ideal of progressive Americanism, then the Cardassian Union is what you'd get if an even more cynical version of the Brezhnev-era Soviet Union took over the planet and discovered warp drive.

Also, yes, their aesthetics are rad as hell.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sisko never worked directly with Section 31...

I always felt the direct linkage between Ross and 31 was pretty minimal. Seemed to me to be more of a "Stay out of the way, we'll do our thing. Just get a little sick when we ask and we'll take it from here. Thank you patriot". And to be frank 31 were pretty much proven to be accurate in their assessment of Romulan politics being hosed every which way, thanks Nemesis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The more bustling Enterprise of "Yesterday's Enterprise" is actually kind of cool, with more people around and announcements coming over the intercom.

Edit: How far away is the loving rift that it takes like two minutes to crawl into it? Isn't impulse supposed to be a significant fraction of light speed?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 14, 2017